PDA

View Full Version : Samsung to Beat Apple to Market with 'iWatch' Competitor?

MacRumors
Feb 15, 2013, 11:29 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/15/samsung-to-beat-apple-to-market-with-iwatch-competitor/)

Screenshots alleged to be of a forthcoming Samsung smartwatch have been posted on the Korean message board Ruliweb (http://bbs2.ruliweb.daum.net/gaia/do/ruliweb/default/mobile/57/read?articleId=1013051&bbsId=G003&itemId=9&pageIndex=1) (via SlashGear (http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-galaxy-altius-smartwatch-leaked-14269391/)), suggesting possible competition for the rumored Apple "iWatch" (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/12/apple-has-team-of-100-product-designers-working-on-a-smart-watch/).

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/02/samsungwatch-800x361.jpgIt is unclear whether the watch will be a self-contained product, or rely on a Bluetooth connection to a smartphone.

The claimed code name of the project, Altius, is causing some confusion, as SamMobile had previously reported this to be the code name for the Galaxy S IV (http://www.sammobile.com/2013/01/22/exclusive-next-generation-galaxy-s-device-code-named-altius-goes-on-sale-in-april/) expected to be launched on April 15, though other code names have been associated with that handset. The watch screenshots indicate that the device is running software called AltiusOS beta2, and an app navigation screen bears a resemblance to the tiles seen on Windows Phone.

SlashGear notes that the screenshots are 500x500 pixels, and suggests that this may be the resolution of the screen.

Apple and Samsung are of course not the only major electronics companies apparently seeking to break into the watch market, with Sony offering another example in the form of its Android-compatible SmartWatch (http://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/accessories/smartwatch/). But given the tense relationship between Apple and Samsung, it is notable that the two companies appear to be preparing to face off yet again in a new market.

Article Link: Samsung to Beat Apple to Market with 'iWatch' Competitor? (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/15/samsung-to-beat-apple-to-market-with-iwatch-competitor/)

madsci954
Feb 15, 2013, 11:32 AM
New market? Release the Lawyers!!!!

JaySoul
Feb 15, 2013, 11:34 AM
Not on my watch.

dBeats
Feb 15, 2013, 11:35 AM
That looks a helluva lot like a B&W windows 8 metro theme. Samsung decided to copy someone else rather than poke the Apple?

ForzaJuve
Feb 15, 2013, 11:36 AM
How is this even possible. They would have to see the released iWatch in order to copy it an release an identical version with the Samsung logo and Android OS. This article implies that Samsung actually has its own R&D department. It is not April 1st today.

Goldmansachs
Feb 15, 2013, 11:37 AM
Insert Witty Remark Here.

nick_elt
Feb 15, 2013, 11:38 AM
Competition is always good for consumer even if most (maybe just the most vocal shall I say) of you wish there was only apple in the world.

Macrolido
Feb 15, 2013, 11:40 AM
It was matter of time...

AlphaVictor87
Feb 15, 2013, 11:44 AM
Posted yesterday on SamMobile, plus a list of reasons why these are completely fake:

First of all Samsung doesn’t use codenames on their splash screen, like you can see in the first image Samsung Galaxy “Altius”. The UI doesn’t meet Samsung’s UX guidelines and Samsung never uses mirror effect on their branding, like you can see in image 3-5. One more thing, in image 3 & 4 it says code “altios” not “altius”.

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/02/14/screenshots-of-an-unannounced-samsung-smartwatchs-test-os/

chakdey
Feb 15, 2013, 11:44 AM
here we go again :rolleyes:

Radio
Feb 15, 2013, 11:48 AM
Call it the iWatch !!!

Be the first Samsung!

----------

Steve walks out.

Says it couldn't be done.

But we did it guys.

We put in a curves glass in a watch.

We call it the iWatch.

And it's our best iWatch yet!

whooleytoo
Feb 15, 2013, 11:51 AM
"Apple v Samsung in watch face-off"
"Apple v Samsung in hand to hand combat"
(possibly followed by "Apple v Samsung call time-out")

The headline writers are going to have a field day with this one..

Ryth
Feb 15, 2013, 11:51 AM
I mean..what is Samsung going to release?

They don't have anyone to copy for the device/OS.

rudychidiac
Feb 15, 2013, 11:52 AM
I don't think that's even a watch… The elements are so tiny for a smart watch! Unless Samsung is planning to make a smart watch with a 3" display…

Zunjine
Feb 15, 2013, 11:55 AM
I don't think that's even a watch… The elements are so tiny for a smart watch! Unless Samsung is planning to make a smart watch with a 3" display…

Good point!

Even at the size they're on here you can barely read the time at the top. Can't be a watch with elements that small.

drnick13
Feb 15, 2013, 11:55 AM
One more thing, in image 3 & 4 it says code “altios” not “altius”.
[/url]

Altios.... Alt-iOS????

Lawsuit.

TonyHouston
Feb 15, 2013, 12:01 PM
Most of these watches are doomed for failure. It doesn't matter how elegant the OS is, or how responsive the touchscreen is, or even how vibrant the display is. Each time you touch the screen you black out a huge portion of display. Can you imagine if you have an oversized hand. Guess what most men do. A possible solution would be the pointing device from Crucialtec. How else would they do it?

genovelle
Feb 15, 2013, 12:02 PM
How is this even possible. They would have to see the released iWatch in order to copy it an release an identical version with the Samsung logo and Android OS. This article implies that Samsung actually has its own R&D department. It is not April 1st today.
With all of the leaks now all they have to do is watch the rumor sites to find out months in advance some times with pictures then see what they have applied for patents and then try to beat them to market. It's happened at least 5 times in the last couple of years.

MichaelJohnston
If they put something out before Apple, they'd be first but there's a much greater likelihood that it'll suck without an interface to copy. However, it could help them gain momentum so they can come out with something much better after they see what Apple does. Either way, it could be a win-win for Samsung.

ovrlrd
Not really beating it to market if it turns out to be crappy. There have been plenty of smart watches, and they have all been terrible. Not until the pebble has anyone really started to get things right, but who is to say Samsung can do any better?

Really, the whole part of the rumor about the 'iWatch' is that it is something Apple has probably been developing for a long time now, and if it comes out it would offer something new and work really well (ideally).

Nobody really knows anything about anything though, so it's all market hype and as usual the armchair analysis is super high.

jm001
Feb 15, 2013, 12:06 PM

No no. The watch will be size of your forearm. According to Android smartphone manufacturers bigger has to be better. It'll be just like the forearm computer that Judge Dredd wore in the movie Dredd.

As I've said before a smartwatch should work as a standalone device and perform as a regular watch BUT also act as an extension of your phone connecting via bluetooth. Have certain apps on your phone interact with the watch like mobile payments, messages, emails, other notifications.

Ryth
Feb 15, 2013, 12:07 PM
My guess is what Samsung will release will be...wait for it...a digital watch.

That's the only thing they can copy at this time...or the last gen iPod Nano.

Hakone
Feb 15, 2013, 12:09 PM
Flavor Flav would like this idea.

OtherJesus
Feb 15, 2013, 12:09 PM
Oh man did I call it or what? Bwah ha ha ha ha.
See my last posts in a precious thread.

Oh man this is so funny. samsung is priceless.

Joe-Diver
Feb 15, 2013, 12:11 PM
(ADVERTISING PLACEHOLDER)
(NEW SAMSUNG SMARTWATCH)

*as soon as Apple releases their iWatch, we'll be able to show you what ours looks like and how it will function.

Squilly
Feb 15, 2013, 12:12 PM
Don't know why everyone thinks this is such a huge market. There hasn't been much to prove it yet.

jm001
Feb 15, 2013, 12:13 PM
I want my PEBBLE!!! =(

naeS1Sean
Feb 15, 2013, 12:14 PM
Not on my watch.

Hahahaha

teco221
Feb 15, 2013, 12:15 PM
For next two years, Samesung will have a lot of products like Apple, because Apple must tell Samesung certain new projects to see if they are able to produce. Just like Eric Schmidt sat on Apple board and knew all about it then secretly told their engineers to develop it.

That's how Samsung won over television. Sony trusted a tiny company in S Korea called "Gold Star" to manufacture it's TV, but Sony didn't know one day that tiny company would steal its technology then turn around called itself Samesung and made the same tv but without all the R&D and cut the price in half to kill Sony.

Renzatic
Feb 15, 2013, 12:21 PM
Just like Eric Schmidt sat on Apple board and knew all about it then secretly told their engineers to develop it.

Gawwwddd. Where do you people get these already thousands of times debunked rumors from anyway? Is there like a board everyone goes to where you all do nothing but spin unsubstantiated conspiracy theories about the tech industry for hours on end or something?

Kissaragi
Feb 15, 2013, 12:22 PM
But other companies beat them both anyway? There was even that phone watch a few years ago.

The whole samsung vs apple thing is getting so tiresome.

Renzatic
Feb 15, 2013, 12:23 PM

Isn't it? I was sick of it after 2 months. :P

ghettochris
Feb 15, 2013, 12:26 PM
Don't know why everyone thinks this is such a huge market. There hasn't been much to prove it yet.

the wrist watch killing the pocket watch comes to mind.

Mactendo
Feb 15, 2013, 12:28 PM
It's a preemtive move by Samsung. They release fake screenshots so when iWatch comes out, Samsung could copy it and say "look, it's not a copy, we were working on watches way before Apple! Haven't you seen those leaked images?"

jamojamo
Feb 15, 2013, 12:29 PM
Gawwwddd. Where do you people get these already thousands of times debunked rumors from anyway? Is there like a board everyone goes to where you all do nothing but spin unsubstantiated conspiracy theories about the tech industry for hours on end or something?

Oh great, now you did it. You are going to have all these conspiracy theory junkies wondering why they didn't get the secret invitation to the private message board. I bet Samsung black-balled them....

:)

uknowimright
Feb 15, 2013, 12:34 PM
But other companies beat them both anyway? There was even that phone watch a few years ago.

yup

A watch phone is a smartwatch that doubles as a mobile phone. The first watch phone was a 1999 Samsung SPH-WP10.[1][2] The newer watch phones are made by companies including LG, Samsung, Swap and Phenom. The benefits of a watch phone include being instantly accessible to answer calls, difficult to lose or forget, not likely to be dropped, and difficult to steal. Several Chinese companies offer watch phones at a starting price of around US$89.[3]

granted that's from Wikipedia

Renzatic
Feb 15, 2013, 12:34 PM
Oh great, now you did it. You are going to have all these conspiracy theory junkies wondering why they didn't get the secret invitation to the private message board. I bet Samsung black-balled them....

Samsung...in cahoots with Google...with Eric Schmidt egging their house in the middle of the night. They're the ones keeping most people away from the conspiracy boards. They don't want anyone to know what they do, and they're willing to go to any lengths necessary to stop the Truth from spreading.

Also FEMA.

Mactendo
Feb 15, 2013, 12:39 PM

Screenshots :D

blahblah100
Feb 15, 2013, 12:44 PM
Is there like a board everyone goes to where you all do nothing but spin unsubstantiated conspiracy theories about the tech industry for hours on end or something?

Yes, and you are on it right now.

frayne182
Feb 15, 2013, 12:48 PM
Do people really want these hipster watches?

I will pass on these things for sure. I regular nice watch and my phone is good enough for me.

nfl46
Feb 15, 2013, 12:51 PM
Why not let them release it, so Apple can learn from Samsung's mistakes...

It seems like they are trying to match nearly every major Apple product. Oh well, competition is good. Samsung will have their own OS soon, and won't run Android.

NewAnger
Feb 15, 2013, 12:52 PM
What is it with these watches all of a sudden? With people who actually wear watches being pretty slim these days, is there really a market here?

nagromme
Feb 15, 2013, 12:54 PM
Competition is always good for consumer even if most (maybe just the most vocal shall I say) of you wish there was only apple in the world.

I agree, and I very much hope to see Samsung do more competing with innovation and less with copying. Copying is no good for the consumer--it's anti-choice. I want more CHOICE in the market, and less of "Apple + Apple clones." What can Samsung do all on their own? I'd like to see consumers be able to buy that.

What is it with these watches all of a sudden? With people who actually wear watches being pretty slim these days, is there really a market here?

The idea I'm sure is that it's not really a watch. Just called that because it's on your wrist. It's another kind of device entirely, with time-telling being one of it's less important abilities.

An analogy a few years ago would be: "Almost nobody uses tablets. Why would Apple make one?"

As for why it's suddenly a "big deal" to report on... several reasons:

a) Apple is rumored to do it. (And they already started, a little, with the former Nano.)

b) ... um... no, that's about it. The media inflates vague Apple possibilities into big deals.

ppdix
Feb 15, 2013, 12:59 PM
I've had a Nano for a couple of years with a wrist band. I mainly use it to work out but it could easily be converted into a smart watch.

Maybe Apple had the iWatch concept and didn't realize it... :rolleyes:

Crzyrio
Feb 15, 2013, 01:13 PM
For next two years, Samesung will have a lot of products like Apple, because Apple must tell Samesung certain new projects to see if they are able to produce. Just like Eric Schmidt sat on Apple board and knew all about it then secretly told their engineers to develop it.

That's how Samsung won over television. Sony trusted a tiny company in S Korea called "Gold Star" to manufacture it's TV, but Sony didn't know one day that tiny company would steal its technology then turn around called itself Samesung and made the same tv but without all the R&D and cut the price in half to kill Sony.

I am pretty sure GoldStar refers to LG?

When Lucky and GoldStart combined they called it LG ;)

Munch
Feb 15, 2013, 01:15 PM

:confused: I didn't know it was possible to cram so much misinformation in one post. The most obvious one: GoldStar became LG. Samsung was always Samsung.

need4speed
Feb 15, 2013, 01:18 PM
So whose design will samsung steal this time? These guys are not leaders in innovations. They are nothing but copy cats. So who cares if they beat Apple. If Apple does come out with a watch, they will blow Samsung out of the water.

trunten
Feb 15, 2013, 01:38 PM
Insert Witty Remark Here.

Watch out Apple.

So apple will be seconds to market?

Will these watches prove popular? Only time will tell.

Samsung really tick me off.

Alarming!

Can't wait for the 5 inch version.

--------------------------
Take your pick

Tomacorno
Feb 15, 2013, 01:47 PM
I want my PEBBLE!!! =(

I was not too concerned about the delays in getting my Pebble...at first. If an Apple iWatch and a Samsung andwatch come out before I receive it though, I will be annoyed. :mad:

Yes, I know of the other smartish watches out there. I wanted one that worked with my iPhone.

Glideslope
Feb 15, 2013, 02:01 PM
That looks a helluva lot like a B&W windows 8 metro theme. Samsung decided to copy someone else rather than poke the Apple?

Time to wake up Redmond!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :apple:

kkent25
Feb 15, 2013, 02:27 PM
Apple currently holds 45% of the unreleased smart watch market while Samsung has a strong lead with 48%.

CWallace
Feb 15, 2013, 02:30 PM
Apple currently holds 45% of the unreleased smart watch market while Samsung has a strong lead with 48%.

Which is proof that Altios/Altius will be winning and Apple will be doomed. :p

Jack97
Feb 15, 2013, 02:45 PM
*cough* sluts.

GoldenJoe
Feb 15, 2013, 02:56 PM

Let's not forget the "development" of Google Play on Android. From an iOS App Store clone to a WinMo clone in one generation!

craftytony
Feb 15, 2013, 03:03 PM
Samesung will release a half arsed watch. Fandroids will scream from the rooftops that Shamesung really does innovate.

Apple watch gets released and ends up being completely different and people will see what an "iwatch" really should be like.

Scamsung will then copy apple and show prior art from a film from the 1970's showing that what apple has created is nothing new.

They will also say that what apple has created is a natural evolution of wrist watches and that what they created would have ended up being created by someone else at some point.

Apple sues Scumsung and the fandroids cry foul and try to convince everyone that Apple are not innovators.

Apple fans just smile and see history repeating itself as we enjoy our nice new shiny device, while a Samesung commercial plays in the background promoting their quad-core/plastic/removable battery/sim card slot watch that has "bump" capabilities.

;)

monkor
Feb 15, 2013, 03:10 PM

Well that history you just told is completely wrong. GoldStar still exists under a name change, called LS Cable/LG Cable. They have no affiliation with Sony, other than they share electronic components. They also have nothing to do with Samsung, other than being the second largest TV producer (behind Samsung.) GoldStar isn't a tiny company, it's a massive company, and even if it started small, it still has nothing to do with Samsung.

Yujenisis
Feb 15, 2013, 03:15 PM
It is unclear whether the watch will be a self-contained product, or rely on a Bluetooth connection to a smartphone.

If they're smart it will be a little bit of both: enough stand-alone functionality to be "more than a watch", but not enough to make battery life too much of an issue.

Mengels7
Feb 15, 2013, 03:35 PM

Goldstar = LG Electronics. (LG= Lucky Goldstar) Not Samsung.

uknowimright
Feb 15, 2013, 03:36 PM
so much ignorance in this thread

Renzatic
Feb 15, 2013, 03:58 PM
Yes, and you are on it right now.

We are through the looking glass here, people! :O

noiseordinance
Feb 15, 2013, 04:15 PM
It's a race to see who can take a dump on our wrists first!

johncrab
Feb 15, 2013, 04:22 PM
Having owned a Samsung printer at one time, I understand their philosophy. Steal ideas, make products as cheaply as possible, advertise them massively, sell as many as you can and when the sales chart flatlines, abandon it and move on.Never update. Never fix. never add new features, just move on and sell a replacement as soon as possible. That's why you can't get a toner cartridge for one of their printers which is over a year old.

So who cares if they rush some half-baked piece of junk to the market. By the time buyers realize they have been taken, Apple will have something decent to offer.

turtlez
Feb 15, 2013, 05:24 PM
Samesung is such a shameful company

turtlez
Feb 15, 2013, 05:43 PM
Having owned a Samsung printer at one time, I understand their philosophy. Steal ideas, make products as cheaply as possible, advertise them massively, sell as many as you can and when the sales chart flatlines, abandon it and move on.Never update. Never fix. never add new features, just move on and sell a replacement as soon as possible. That's why you can't get a toner cartridge for one of their printers which is over a year old.

So who cares if they rush some half-baked piece of junk to the market. By the time buyers realize they have been taken, Apple will have something decent to offer.

But we will have to listen to all the Apple haters saying that Apple copied Samsung even though our iWatch is in every way better than theirs and we will automatically become an idiot in their eyes. If only they knew it was the opposite but the majority of the world don't read into development stuff, only listen to who got to the market first.

gnasher729
Feb 15, 2013, 05:43 PM

There are lots of people spending lots of money on watches.

I think the key to success is to create a watch that people actually want to wear. Style and quality is the absolutely most important part of it. Plus functionality which is decent enough for the buyer to justify the purchase to others.

WilliamLondon
Feb 15, 2013, 05:47 PM
And in one moment all the trolls decrying an iWatch perform an amazing Olympic style 180 degree twist and spin and are now fully supportive and will attack Apple for copying Samsung, or attack Apple for not creating one as big as Samsung's. :p

noiseordinance
Feb 15, 2013, 06:02 PM
And in one moment all the trolls decrying an iWatch perform an amazing Olympic style 180 degree twist and spin and are now fully supportive and will attack Apple for copying Samsung, or attack Apple for not creating one as big as Samsung's. :p

Amen to that.

Sent from rMBP with Samsung Screen

tech4all
Feb 15, 2013, 06:13 PM
so much ignorance in this forum

You had a typo ;)

At least with some users, not all.

turtlez
Feb 15, 2013, 06:22 PM
"Samsung stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as they could,
and before you even knew what they had,
they patented it, packaged it and slapped it on a plastic lunch box.
And now they're selling it. They wanna sell it." - Malcolm, Jurassic Park

auero
Feb 15, 2013, 06:38 PM
Wait, so Samsung's unannounced rumored product is going to come out before Apples unannounced rumored product?

tl01
Feb 15, 2013, 06:40 PM

That's what I was thinking!

Rogifan
Feb 15, 2013, 06:41 PM
http://www.macstories.net/stories/always-beaten/

Renzatic
Feb 15, 2013, 07:25 PM
But we will have to listen to all the Apple haters saying that Apple copied Samsung even though our iWatch is in every way better than theirs and we will automatically become an idiot in their eyes. If only they knew it was the opposite but the majority of the world don't read into development stuff, only listen to who got to the market first.

Right now, somewhere deep in an Android forum, is your equal opposite. He's griping about how all the Android hating Apple Sheep keep going on and on with their stupid belief that Apple is perfect in every way, and invented everything, completely oblivious to just how crappy, limited, locked down your iDevices actually are. But, you know, the majority of the world doesn't care about anything except what's popular, which is the only Apple has going for it.

Some cheer him on. Others call him an idiot. He's your mirror image. And you know what? Fandroids? iTards? Whatever. It doesn't matter who did what, or who does what, or who released what first.

...cuz the whole thing is pretty dorky when you get this wrapped up into it.

jayducharme
Feb 15, 2013, 07:37 PM
Flavor Flav would like this idea.

Where's Will.I.Am when we need him? The Galaxy Watch -- now in gold and white!

charlituna
Feb 15, 2013, 07:40 PM

Never fear. They will announce it now to release later in the year and while the first shots will look more like a Metro watch, when it releases it will be'inspired by' the iWatch

Joe-Diver
Feb 15, 2013, 08:25 PM

Once Apple releases their product, Samsung will copy it. Right now they don't really have anything to copy. And....they had to put something out there.

zbarsky
Feb 15, 2013, 08:45 PM
Didn't voice control appear in their dumb tvs after a rumour that a possible Apple television product would have Siri voice control?

Renzatic
Feb 15, 2013, 09:17 PM
Didn't voice control appear in their dumb tvs after a rumour that a possible Apple television product would have Siri voice control?

Yup. It's pretty amazing they were able to build something functional off a mere rumor. WHAT WITH NOTHING TO COPY! OLOL!

Stella
Feb 15, 2013, 09:31 PM
Good luck to them. Make sense, integrate a smart watch with their smartphones.

Samsung can't be accused of copying from Apple since the iWatch is based upon rumours and specifications unknown.

SeattleMoose
Feb 16, 2013, 12:47 AM
Asia never invented ANYTHING until we moved all our manufacturing know-how overseas. Karma.....:(

sparkso
Feb 16, 2013, 12:49 AM
Samsung's is clearly using Hit and Hope just don't miss the boat strategy.

- Wait for Apple product rumors and make a best guess of what they might turn out to be and make them. Try to hit the market before Apple does so they can claim that the idea is their original idea.

- launch lots of different models.

92jlee
Feb 16, 2013, 03:16 AM
Best Bluetooth watch was Sony Ericssons mbw series, the executive edition is stunning, I still use it every day.

Solomani
Feb 16, 2013, 03:35 AM

Samsung will be sure to market it as a tablet-sized wristwatch. The Phabwatch, anyone? Because bigger is always better. :rolleyes:

http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module2/77884/linux_wrist_7.jpg

----------

Isn't it? I was sick of it after 2 months. :P

No, you clearly aren't sick of it yet. You still crave it and enjoy it. That's why you're posting on this thread. :rolleyes:

aziatiklover
Feb 16, 2013, 03:49 AM

Thats what they said about smartphone, then tablet amirite?

turtlez
Feb 16, 2013, 05:17 AM
Right now, somewhere deep in an Android forum, is your equal opposite. He's griping about how all the Android hating Apple Sheep keep going on and on with their stupid belief that Apple is perfect in every way, and invented everything, completely oblivious to just how crappy, limited, locked down your iDevices actually are. But, you know, the majority of the world doesn't care about anything except what's popular, which is the only Apple has going for it.

Some cheer him on. Others call him an idiot. He's your mirror image. And you know what? Fandroids? iTards? Whatever. It doesn't matter who did what, or who does what, or who released what first.

...cuz the whole thing is pretty dorky when you get this wrapped up into it.
good point :)

Klae17
Feb 16, 2013, 05:31 AM
Asia never invented ANYTHING until we moved all our manufacturing know-how overseas. Karma.....:(

A completely racist remark from a Seattle Moose. Let's go down a simple list and get educated.. Ok?

Invention of Pottery
Chickens domesticated
Domestication of rice
Invention of silk fabrics
Invention of Ink
Irrigation Canals
Invention of kites
Invention of collapsible umbrella
Invention of the handheld crossbow
Invention of Paper
Invention of the wheelbarrow
Invention of the seismoscope
Invention of the abacus
Invention of the saddle and stirrups (Giddy up friend!)
Invention of toilet paper
Invention of Gunpowder
Invention of the Flamethrower
Invention of the magnetic compass
Circulation of Paper money
Metal movable type
First use of Landmines
the toothbrush
Sound cards
Playstation

Just to name a few. Basically, **** about race on these forums.

tekno
Feb 16, 2013, 05:44 AM

I thought Gold Star became LG (lucky goldstar)?

jm001
Feb 16, 2013, 05:48 AM
Don't forget
Blu-ray disc
the walkman and hence portable music
CD players
Flash memory
Pocket calculators
Quartz wristwatch
Bullet trains
Digial audio tape recorder

Wow to get a comment like that in our day and age. Seattlemoose is one bitter person.

hestroy
Feb 16, 2013, 07:10 AM

Well, competition is ok, but not in case when one competitor only copycat another.

----------

Don't forget
Blu-ray disc
the walkman and hence portable music
CD players
Flash memory
Pocket calculators
Quartz wristwatch
Bullet trains
Digial audio tape recorder

Wow to get a comment like that in our day and age. Seattlemoose is one bitter person.

Ok. Everything you named is INVENTED by west.

Eric E. Schmidt
Feb 16, 2013, 08:02 AM
A completely racist remark from a Seattle Moose.

Basically, **** about race on these forums.

a typical misuse of the word. asia is not a race. the post is perfectly suitable. although he may be proven wrong.

Cycledoc
Feb 16, 2013, 08:27 AM
This is Dick Tracy stuff, but frankly I can't think of a use for such a pathetic product (Apple or Samsung), much less spend money on it.

Krazy Bill
Feb 16, 2013, 09:40 AM
I doth hereby patent the iRing. Put it on yer finger to:

1.) Unlock all your devices within proximity to your hand
2.) Vibration codes for push notifications
3.) Heat up to 1000 degrees when wife walks into room
4.) Etc...

Sue De Nimes
Feb 16, 2013, 09:50 AM
I thought Gold Star became LG (lucky goldstar)?

Yep

uknowimright
Feb 16, 2013, 09:53 AM
You had a typo ;)

At least with some users, not all.

surprised some can even register and log in to a website

good thing you added that last statement or you may have gotten your post deleted for blanket statements, lol :p

pubwvj
Feb 16, 2013, 11:15 AM
I don't wear a watch but am glad to see Apple having competition. If they dominate the market too much they'll stagnate. Competition drives evolution.

Renzatic
Feb 16, 2013, 12:23 PM
Samsung will be sure to market it as a tablet-sized wristwatch. The Phabwatch, anyone? Because bigger is always better. :rolleyes:

Hey, if it works for Futurama, it'll work for real life, too. Don't knock it. :mad:

No, you clearly aren't sick of it yet. You still crave it and enjoy it. That's why you're posting on this thread. :rolleyes:

It's not so much that I crave and enjoy it, so much as I have to exorcise my inner demons, and posting in Samsung vs. Apple threads is the best way to do it.

----------

A completely racist remark from a Seattle Moose. Let's go down a simple list and get educated.. Ok?

Invention of the Flamethrower

The Greeks might've beat them on the flamethrower. They were supposedly using metal tubes to shoot out and spread whatever Greek Fire was in warfare as far back as 400 BC.

Dave.UK
Feb 16, 2013, 12:57 PM
Some very ill informed users in this thread. I also fail to understand why some people cant have a decent discussion without have to resort to childish name calling such as "Samesung" "ShameSung" etc etc. Very boring :rolleyes:

Samsung released the first WatchPhone back in 1999 called the SPH-WP10

http://cdn.asia.cnet.com/i/r/2009/crave/hp/63012393/wp10_520x346.jpg

Samsung also released a WatchPhone in France during 2009, called the S9110

http://cdn.asia.cnet.com/i/r/2009/crave/hp/63012393/s9110-2_520x346.jpg

The sleek S9110 is a mere 11.98mm thick thanks to the company’s advanced surface mounting technology, making it the slimmest watchphone device in the market. Featuring a 1.76” full touch screen customized for the wrist-watch form factor, the S9110 aims to attract mobile phone users who want a unique fashion item that keeps them connected on the go. The device also enables the users to check their e-mail seamlessly through Outlook.

In 1999, Samsung introduced the world’s first watch phone, the SPH-WP10, which became a landmark product in the mobile industry. The S9110 will be available in France this month for around 450 Euros.

Bet lets not let facts get in the way eh?! :rolleyes:

Plutonius
Feb 16, 2013, 01:04 PM

It certainly doesn't get in the way for Samsung PR :D.

JGRE
Feb 16, 2013, 01:17 PM
Neither Apple nor Samsung is going around my wrist.
This spot is reserved for Ebel, a real sophisticated watch instead of such a need-watch. :p

notjustjay
Feb 16, 2013, 01:17 PM

Just to name a few. Basically, **** about race on these forums.

Don't forget fireworks, and possibly some types of pasta.

Dave.UK
Feb 16, 2013, 01:19 PM
It certainly doesn't get in the way for Samsung PR :D.

You keep moving them goalposts. I thought this thread was about the watch?! :rolleyes:

Renzatic
Feb 16, 2013, 01:25 PM
Don't forget fireworks, and possibly some types of pasta.

Yup. If you want to weird someone out and get into a good, long argument, tell them the Chinese basically invented spaghetti.

Fatalbert
Feb 16, 2013, 03:54 PM

They can always stick an iOS knockoff on it, but it would suck.

----------

It's completely the other way around. East Asia invented a bunch of things, like pasta, until they got copy sources. If you're including all of Asia, the Middle Easterners invented civilization.

----------

So whose design will samsung steal this time? These guys are not leaders in innovations. They are nothing but copy cats. So who cares if they beat Apple. If Apple does come out with a watch, they will blow Samsung out of the water.

They'll just copy Apple once Apple makes it. Once the Samsung watch comes out, make note of how it looks and feels before and after the Apple watch.

----------

Samsung already has high-tech watches from the iOS era. They've already beaten Apple to the market; it's just that nobody buys them.

olowott
Feb 16, 2013, 04:29 PM

So on Point :D

maxosx
Feb 16, 2013, 04:38 PM
Sadly Apple, the brand I highly respected for years, is beginning to fall behind. Not just talking about iWatch, but in many areas they once excelled in. Adrift in a sea of uncertainty it's frustrating to watch them become fragmented.

During Tim Cooks most recent speech he goes out of his way to bash OLED, yet behind the scenes Apple just hired the worlds top OLED engineer. Talk about confused & befuddled. It makes me wonder what the truth is about the Cupertino company I could rely on for years.

Renzatic
Feb 16, 2013, 04:43 PM
During Tim Cooks most recent speech he goes out of his way to bash OLED, yet behind the scenes Apple just hired the worlds top OLED engineer.

From the (admittedly very little) bit I've read about it, it seems he's criticizing Samsung's oversaturated OLED screens on their Galaxy line, rather than OLED technology specifically.

maxosx
Feb 16, 2013, 05:02 PM
From the (admittedly very little) bit I've read about it, it seems he's criticizing Samsung's oversaturated OLED screens on their Galaxy line, rather than OLED technology specifically.

Respectfully, his position on OLED has been voiced in other speeches & discussions previously. He's between a rock & a hard place. It's only natural for him to talk up retina, yet dangerously wrong to write off OLED with its indestructible flexibility and plethora of uses as smartphone design matures.

I'm limited to my iPhone 5 at the moment since I'm on a business trip. Otherwise I'd share several links I have for verification. Yet Google is quick to produce them if you're so inclined.

theanimaster
Feb 16, 2013, 10:26 PM
Good to see Samesung "innovating" again...

PracticalMac
Feb 16, 2013, 10:34 PM
Sony watch is very clunky looking.

theanimaster
Feb 16, 2013, 10:38 PM
Sadly Apple, the brand I highly respected for years, is beginning to fall behind. Not just talking about iWatch, but in many areas they once excelled in. Adrift in a sea of uncertainty it's frustrating to watch them become fragmented.

During Tim Cooks most recent speech he goes out of his way to bash OLED, yet behind the scenes Apple just hired the worlds top OLED engineer. Talk about confused & befuddled. It makes me wonder what the truth is about the Cupertino company I could rely on for years.

It's because Americans are getting too fat to fight back. And even their own kind roots for thieves of innovation and technology. Apple also seems to have a couple holes that need to be patched up. If Sony can keep their Playstation 4 a secret, why can't Apple?

For fear of sounding biased or racist, I would probably gather that the holes aren't coming from American staff either.

See, this is what happens when you pay crap wages in a foreign country to make your stuff, while the fat, white, overpaid buffalos back in the US rest on their laurels.

Apple needs a serious, serious, shake-up.

Bring our jobs back to the US. Pay Americans good money, FFS Apple... spread out the money a bit. I'm sure you can afford it.

Start a sister company that produces cheap crap like Samsung does to compete with Samsung. That way we can keep Apple as a high-end producer of things, and not some big company trying to sell cheap versions of their stuff. Apple needs all the talent it can get.

Who can imagine that Samsung is currently developing its own version of Android? Wow, we didn't see that one coming.

Dave.UK
Feb 16, 2013, 11:45 PM
Good to see Samesung "innovating" again...

Samesung? More like Apple copying Samsung.

Im guessing you didnt bother looking at the post on the previous page highlighting the fact Samsung has already brought at WatchPhones in the past.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16857930&postcount=97

tekno
Feb 17, 2013, 03:24 AM
Samesung is such a shameful company

Companies don't have morals, they just want to make profit. All companies copy. Including Apple.

Samsung's profits and marketshare would suggest that what they're doing is working.

Just choose the product you like the most and enjoy it, let the lawyers worry about copyright and patent infringement.

heavydistortion
Feb 17, 2013, 09:53 AM
WOW. I just can't over the comments in this thread.
You would think its still 2010 and apple was still the king.

Apple has lost it. Samsung will be releasing the watch and Apple is just releasing vapourware.

Granted the iPhone was amazing in 2007. Now its fallen behind. Spend an hour with a Note 2. Do some tracing with the S Pen that Samsung R+D didn't come up with, or the Multi View function which gives you 2 iphone sized screens to multitask on. Or how about the whole phablet category itself.

Oh right, the Note 2 is too big. That is until Apple comes out with a Phablet then the size will be just right. Trust me, after you spend a little time with the larger screen...when you go back to your iPhone it will feel like your apple TV remote. A toothpick. But its just a matter of time before apple copies the Note 2.

Not to mention that iOS needs a total makeover. Rows of apps are soo 2007. Widgets that display live information are way more useful. Not to mention changing setting in the notification bar is such a no brainer. Why rifle thru menus to toggle your wifi on and off.

Oh right people were talking about Samsung just copies Apple. Maybe Apple will be copying Samsung from now on...

Rogifan
Feb 17, 2013, 10:48 AM
I think this site needs to be renamed SamsungRumors :rolleyes: More Samsung fanboys here than Apple fans these days. :rolleyes:

BTW, both these "watches" are vaporware at the moment.

spacerays
Feb 17, 2013, 11:54 AM

Did you know that the decimal system was invented in India and China?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal

And the use of Zero:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero

Compile 'em all
Feb 17, 2013, 11:58 AM
I would LOVE for Samsung to release their watch before Apple. Because it will be interesting to see how they react when Apple releases theirs. Copy no more.

inkswamp
Feb 17, 2013, 01:21 PM

Pretty sure most people, even the most hardcore Apple apologists here, agree with that. However, many of us appreciate the benefits of true competition such that we're unwilling to lower the bar to include blatant copying as a form of competition. I've got no beef with Samsung, but I'd love to see them compete instead of mimic. Copying initiates a race-to-the-bottom mentality which hurts the market and floods stores with inferior products. Look at all the first-time smartphone buyers buying lousy Android devices because they're cheap. Is that a benefit of that kind of competition?

----------

Wow, you've got me convinced that you're a long-time Apple user, especially when you have to keep saying it over and over again, the way nobody does ever. :rolleyes:

Anyway, decrying the current state of some tech while hiring someone to work on it would seem to suggest that Apple is interested in exploring where it can go or what they can do with it in the future. Why is that so hard to figure out?

nick_elt
Feb 17, 2013, 01:29 PM
Well the early samsung androids were a blatant rip off of the iphone but apart from s voice their new stuff is all original as any other phone

MacCurry
Feb 17, 2013, 01:43 PM
Steve Jobs wanted a thermonuclear war and now it is in full swing. SJ has passed on, but those who remain will face annihilation. SJ didn't realize that you don't start a thermonuclear war with another party that also has as many or more nukes and delivery systems.

uknowimright
Feb 17, 2013, 02:27 PM
so many people here either don't know how to read or severely lack reading comprehension

Glideslope
Feb 17, 2013, 09:18 PM
Everyone sit back and chill.

Keeping and Displaying Time will be small circuits compared to what this device can "facilitate other iOS/Mac OS Devises" cooperate. :apple:

HiRez
Feb 17, 2013, 11:01 PM
Samsung is taking it to a whole new level. And by that I mean now they're copying rumors instead of waiting for the actual products.

thekev
Feb 17, 2013, 11:21 PM
Respectfully, his position on OLED has been voiced in other speeches & discussions previously. He's between a rock & a hard place. It's only natural for him to talk up retina, yet dangerously wrong to write off OLED with its indestructible flexibility and plethora of uses as smartphone design matures.

I'm limited to my iPhone 5 at the moment since I'm on a business trip. Otherwise I'd share several links I have for verification. Yet Google is quick to produce them if you're so inclined.

Retina isn't a technology. It's merely a descriptive term. Talking up one against the other makes no sense.

batchtaster
Feb 18, 2013, 04:15 AM
Sony watch is very clunky looking.

Not just clunky looking. Watch the video; it's clunky to use too. You need two phone applications to manage it, and there's screens all over the place that you have to swipe between. The guy explains it and it seems easy, but then try and remember how to set it up unassisted. You swipe down to go to one screen, then two finger-tap to go back up or something... unintuitive. Particularly in comparison to Apple's discontinued watch, the sixth-gen iPod nano.

I don't think Apple has anything to worry about from Sony. Particularly since it's only Android-compatible.

Obviously, we can't know about them having anything to worry about from Samsung. Except that to be a threat, Samsung's would have to be iOS-compatible. And vice-versa for Apple's watch. Otherwise, they're not really in direct competition, any more than iPhone docks are in competition with Galaxy docks.

Carniphage
Feb 18, 2013, 07:41 AM
What problem do they solve?

(cause I'm pretty sure I don't have that problem)

PracticalMac
Feb 18, 2013, 08:21 AM

I venture to guess it is the first step to a new "iPhone".

That is something that is much more like a basic phone with limited app support.

The 1930's comic Dick Tracy has his TV watch, and we are tantalizing close to reality.

Carniphage
Feb 18, 2013, 08:24 AM
The 1930's comic Dick Tracy has his TV watch, and we are tantalizing close to reality.

That is a gimmick. Not a solution to an actual human problem.

As far as I can see, having to charge my wristwatch is a much bigger problem than solving the "not having to pull a phone out of my pocket" problem.

dma550
Feb 18, 2013, 08:30 AM
Lol, what is that, a 4" square screen!

craftytony
Feb 18, 2013, 08:31 AM
Some very ill informed users in this thread. I also fail to understand why some people cant have a decent discussion without have to resort to childish name calling such as "Samesung" "ShameSung" etc etc. Very boring :rolleyes:

Samsung released the first WatchPhone back in 1999 called the SPH-WP10

Image (http://cdn.asia.cnet.com/i/r/2009/crave/hp/63012393/wp10_520x346.jpg)

Samsung also released a WatchPhone in France during 2009, called the S9110

Image (http://cdn.asia.cnet.com/i/r/2009/crave/hp/63012393/s9110-2_520x346.jpg)

And.......where are they now? ;)

Apple doesn't rush to be first to market, they just turn the above mentioned Shamesung failures into products people will actually love to use.

Lex Yu
Feb 18, 2013, 08:32 AM

Competition ≠ Plagiarism

Plagiarism is always bad for humanity even if some people in far east must have found an easy way for living in the world.

Bonus: Here are just a few of examples.

http://obamapacman.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Samsung-Tablet-copied-Apple-iPad.jpg

http://cdn.mactrast.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Samsung-Apple-Cable-Copy.jpg

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/844649/2011-04-19applesam7.jpg

http://obamapacman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Samsung-copied-Apple-iPod-touch.jpg

BaldiMac
Feb 18, 2013, 08:37 AM

Here's one perspective.
http://asktog.com/atc/apple-iwatch/

Carniphage
Feb 18, 2013, 08:57 AM
Here's one perspective.
http://asktog.com/atc/apple-iwatch/

I think Tog needs to figure out what a killer application really is.

Whatever this smartphone idea is, it is not a killer application.

nick_elt
Feb 18, 2013, 09:11 AM
Competition ≠ Plagiarism

Plagiarism is always bad for humanity even if some people in far east must have found an easy way for living in the world.

Bonus: Here are just a few of examples.

http://obamapacman.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Samsung-Tablet-copied-Apple-iPad.jpg

http://cdn.mactrast.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Samsung-Apple-Cable-Copy.jpg

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/844649/2011-04-19applesam7.jpg

http://obamapacman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Samsung-copied-Apple-iPod-touch.jpg

Competition doesn't equal plagiarism and how do you know that Samsung watch will be just like apples? Because it tells the time and connects to you phone? Please give me a break.

BaldiMac
Feb 18, 2013, 09:28 AM
I think Tog needs to figure out what a killer application really is.

Whatever this smartphone idea is, it is not a killer application.

Seems he has a different opinion that you. And significant experience to back it up.

craftytony
Feb 18, 2013, 09:31 AM
Competition doesn't equal plagiarism and how do you know that Samsung watch will be just like apples? Because it tells the time and connects to you phone? Please give me a break.

It will probably be like apple's because they like to copy apple, as history has proven. But maybe that 1+ Billion dollar lawsuit loss, will keep them from copying this time around :)

Carniphage
Feb 18, 2013, 09:48 AM
Seems he has a different opinion that you. And significant experience to back it up.

Which is why he is now in charge of Apple!

My view is this is currently a non product. A froth whipped up by the press, on the back of some lame Kickstarted projects.

The typical consumer does not have a problem that a smart watch would solve. A device that can be held in the hand does not need a remote control or a terminal.

We don't want yet another device to charge up every day.
It would be useless as an input device. And with a 1" screen, useless as a complementary display.

My prediction is that no device resembling this will be released by Apple.

Why?
Because Apple are meticulous about creating products that have a genuine consumer benefit. They build things, try them out, and if they are not insanely useful, they get dumped.

Apple let others make gimmicky crap. And when the press scream "Oh! Apple, why oh why don't you wake up and release a XXXX"? Apple just smile quietly to themselves.

And then release something worthwhile.

BaldiMac
Feb 18, 2013, 09:56 AM

My view is this is currently a non product. A froth whipped up by the press, on the back of some lame Kickstarted projects.

The typical consumer does not have a problem that a smart watch would solve. A device that can be held in the hand does not need a remote control or a terminal.

It would be useless as an input device. And with a 1" screen, useless as a complementary display.

Why?
Because Apple are meticulous about creating products that have a genuine consumer benefit. They build things, try them out, and if they are not insanely useful, they get dumped.

Apple let others make gimmicky crap. And when the press scream "Oh! Apple, why oh why don't you wake up and release a XXXX"? Apple just smile quietly to themselves.

Strange that you ignored all of the key points in the post that I linked to while dismissing it.

Security and identity confirmation for your connected devices can be a "killer app" of an "iWatch" type product.

Carniphage
Feb 18, 2013, 10:07 AM
Strange that you ignored all of the key points in the post that I linked to.

Security and identity confirmation for your connected devices can be a "killer app" of an "iWatch" type product.

I think identity confirmation is an essential technology. It's going to be huge, because it could solve the password problem AND the credit card fraud problem.

But the way to deliver that is putting biometric identity verification into the phone. Which is, of course, why Apple acquired a sub-dermal fingerprint recognition company.

This technology will obviously go into the phone itself and not into a lame peripheral that only geeks** would wear.

People who would not wear a smart watch:
1) People who don't like watches.
2) People who do like watches. (and own Rolexes etc)
3) Women.

Disclaimer. I am a geek. But I wouldn't wear a smart watch.

BaldiMac
Feb 18, 2013, 10:16 AM
I think identity confirmation is an essential technology. It's going to be huge, because it could solve the password problem AND the credit card fraud problem.

Exactly my point. You asked for a problem that a smart watch type product could solve. There's your answer.

Assuming that Apple would implement it in a way that most people won't use is just begging the question.

Carniphage
Feb 18, 2013, 10:19 AM
Exactly my point. You asked for a problem that a smart watch type product could solve. There's your answer.

Having identity verification on a phone solves a ton of problems.
Having it on a watch does not. It weakens its value.

craftytony
Feb 18, 2013, 10:23 AM

But the way to deliver that is putting biometric identity verification into the phone. Which is, of course, why Apple acquired a sub-dermal fingerprint recognition company.

This technology will obviously go into the phone itself and not into a lame peripheral that only geeks** would wear.

People who would not wear a smart watch:
1) People who don't like watches.
2) People who who do like watches. (and own Rolexes etc)
3) Women.

Disclaimer. I am a geek. But I wouldn't wear a smart watch.

I for one think this could definitely be a new market. I have read articles recently stating how the wristwatch market is in decline. I for one no longer wear watches unless it's a formal event. But I think the things a smartwatch could do, could change all that.

Examples I personally would love to see:
While using runkeeper I would be able to see what song is playing, check my distance/pace, all at a glance.

When sitting in meetings, playing video games, or at work, see who is calling/texting me at a glance, and even give quick responses from the watch without having to pull my phone out.

Misplaced phone? Simply use an app built into the watch to find it or play a sound (vice versa).

Driving? Don't have bluetooth in your vehicle? Use speakerphone on the watch and drive safely.

I 100% agree, there are definitely hurdles that will need to be overcome.

It will have to look amazing, give us the above abilities and more, and have great battery life.

But I guess arguing over this, really doesn't matter. We'll all see what happens sooner or later...better or worse :)

alent1234
Feb 18, 2013, 10:23 AM
Check out pebble smartwatch

Iwatch would be a bike computer, keep track of running routes, Nike fuelband, biometric readings, etc

Why?

Carniphage
Feb 18, 2013, 10:34 AM
But I guess arguing over this, really doesn't matter. We'll all see what happens sooner or later...better or worse :)

Indeed.
My prediction is "no smart watch from Apple".
Happy to take some lumps if I am wrong about this.

MacConvert2011
Feb 18, 2013, 10:45 AM
Watch out Apple.

So apple will be seconds to market?

Will these watches prove popular? Only time will tell.

Samsung really tick me off.

Alarming!

Can't wait for the 5 inch version.

--------------------------
Take your pick

*Cough* That's what your girlfriend said!

PracticalMac
Feb 18, 2013, 11:36 AM

That is a gimmick. Not a solution to an actual human problem.

As far as I can see, having to charge my wristwatch is a much bigger problem than solving the "not having to pull a phone out of my pocket" problem.

People LOVE gimmicks, that's why we have fads, but while it may not solve anything, it will make certain things easier.

After all, the ability to see video on a cellphone was once considered a gimmick.

Carniphage
Feb 18, 2013, 11:39 AM
People LOVE gimmicks, that's why we have fads, but while it may not solve anything, it will make certain things easier.

After all, the ability to see video on a cellphone was once considered a gimmick.

Apple don't tend to address the gimmick market. They leave that to others.

They may occasionally sport gimmicky features. But the existence of each Apple product is based on a core need.

PracticalMac
Feb 18, 2013, 12:20 PM

Why?

One thing Jobs had that most of us have limited is imagination. He was able to envision a finished mostly product in his head, and make something pretty close to that in reality.

All because you do not see the need, does not mean their is not one.

I do completely agree with the limited INPUT aspect of an iWatch, however it is more then able to act as a CONTROL device.

Think of a screen less iPhone, just a tiny box, connected by BT to the iWatch for control, and an iBud for audio. Siri is the input method, talk everything via dictation.

Yes, that will not work for you or me, but I know people who are just like that, it will be perfect for them.

Carniphage
Feb 18, 2013, 12:33 PM
All because you do not see the need, does not mean their is not one.

I like to think I am pretty good at visualising stuff. I do it for a living.
I might be wrong, but my view of products is that they should address a problem.

Sometimes new products address problems we didn't know we had. Jobs was supremely good at identifying these needs and tuning products to meet them.

I do completely agree with the limited INPUT aspect of an iWatch, however it is more then able to act as a CONTROL device.

Think of a screen less iPhone, just a tiny box, connected by BT to the iWatch for control, and an iBud for audio. Siri is the input method, talk everything via dictation.

Yes, that will not work for you or me, but I know people who are just like that, it will be perfect for them.

And yet we already have earbuds that do just that. We can talk to them, get data out of them. Listen to high quality music on them. Have texts read back to us.

I am pretty sure that the iPhone could even speak called ID if someone took the time to write the software. So I am confused as to what value a 1" screen brings to this.

My skepticism is based on one fact. Every commentator has said that a smart watch could do this, or that. But no one has explained how this solves a prior need, or why this solution is better than pre-existing implementations.

Apple have consistently built and then rejected products that didn't meet this test. Their success is based on that curation of product.

Until someone explains what the core problem is, I will continue to doubt that Apple will create such a grossly gimmicky product.

JAT
Feb 18, 2013, 01:00 PM
Did you know that the decimal system was invented in India and China?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal

And the use of Zero:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero

I think you mean discovered. Numbers are inherent in nature.

----------

I am pretty sure that the iPhone could even speak called ID if someone took the time to write the software. So I am confused as to what value a 1" screen brings to this.

Caller ID is often ambiguous or only numerical. My wife's phone has spoken ID, so have some of our home phone systems. They are of questionable use, unfortunately.

But it definitely could, if a $30 Panasonic land-line cordless phone can.

BaldiMac
Feb 18, 2013, 01:11 PM
Having identity verification on a phone solves a ton of problems.
Having it on a watch does not. It weakens its value.

Because...?

Until someone explains what the core problem is, I will continue to doubt that Apple will create such a grossly gimmicky product.

And if someone proposes a problem that a smart watch could address, you'll just say "a lot of people don't wear watches." It's a wonderfully circular argument.

Carniphage
Feb 18, 2013, 01:17 PM
Because...?

1) Because having security features on a phone makes those features available to people who have a phone. Pushing the feature onto a peripheral requires people to buy two items.

2) Because a phone thumb scanner can be used with one hand (and a wristwatch scanner could not)

And if someone proposes a problem that a smart watch could address, you'll just say "a lot of people don't wear watches." It's a wonderfully circular argument.

If someone were to describe a problem that a smart watch could address, that would be a start!

So far, no one has described the problem that the smart watch solves.

BaldiMac
Feb 18, 2013, 01:38 PM
1) Because having security features on a phone makes those features available to people who have a phone. Pushing the feature onto a peripheral requires people to buy two items.

2) Because a phone thumb scanner can be used with one hand (and a wristwatch scanner could not)

That's just a lack of imagination. Or reading the article I posted. One possible solution that considers both of these issues would be to have the identity confirmation (thumb scanner, etc.) on the phone. However, pairing it with the smart watch could maintain that identity as long as the watch is on your wrist. That way, you don't have to reconfirm your identity every time you pick up your phone or tablet or even your PC.

If someone were to describe a problem that a smart watch could address, that would be a start!

So far, no one has described the problem that the smart watch solves.

There have been a several different problems that a smart watch could solve presented in reply to you, including the one we are discussing. And several more in the article I linked to. Not sure why you are pretending they don't exist.

Candlelight
Feb 18, 2013, 01:40 PM
As long as it tells the time, has an alarm, a stop watch feature and internal storage I don't care who releases their watch first.

I don't want to charge my watch every night either.

Carniphage
Feb 18, 2013, 01:51 PM
There have been a several different problems that a smart watch could solve presented in reply to you, including the one we are discussing. And several more in the article I linked to. Not sure why you are pretending they don't exist.

No.

They describe silly applications which are already better served by existing solutions.

For the smart watch idea to have commercial traction, it has to solve a real problem that real people have.

If all it does is meet the need to play at Dick Tracy, then the device is merely a toy.

BaldiMac
Feb 18, 2013, 01:58 PM
No.

They describe silly applications which are already better served by existing solutions.

For the smart watch idea to have commercial traction, it has to solve a real problem that real people have.

If all it does is meet the need to play at Dick Tracy, then the device is merely a toy.

Hey, look! You ignored another argument. :rolleyes:

Carniphage
Feb 18, 2013, 02:00 PM
Hey, look! You ignored another argument. :rolleyes:

Do you mean the article which describes a killer app as
"Wireless charging"

That isn't a solution to a problem.

"Security" - nope - less useful that on device security.

Just one problem. Go on, I dare you. I double dare you!

BaldiMac
Feb 18, 2013, 02:16 PM
Do you mean the article which describes a killer app as
"Wireless charging"

Nope. Do you need me to quote it here?

The Killer Applications

Your iWatch vouches for you, so you’ll never have to type another passcode or password again.
Walk away from your iPhone and your iWatch will warn you.
Your NFC chip for making payments is in your watch, instead of in an easily-grabbed $800 phone. Just wave your hand over the sensor and you’re good to go.

That isn't a solution to a problem.

Nor was it presented as one. It was presented as a solution to current problem with smart watches.

"Security" - nope - less useful that on device security.

And you'll ignore the argument I already made to the contrary.

Hey, look! You still ignored the specific solution that I described.

This isn't hard. See the "killer apps" from AskTog earlier. And the other apps that he describes. Here's a few more.

-I'm in a meeting with my phone on vibrate in my pocket. Is that last message or incoming call important?
-Going swimming in the pool out back, but expecting an important call or message. A lot more convenient to wear a watch in the pool than get out every time the phone beeps.
-Jogging. Biometric sensors in addition to the obvious notification convenience.

How are any of those situations better addressed by current solutions?

Renzatic
Feb 18, 2013, 02:27 PM

Watch out, BaldiMac. He's got you set up for a triple dog dare. You know you can't turn those down when they're thrown your way.

BaldiMac
Feb 18, 2013, 02:30 PM
watch out, baldimac. He's got you set up for a triple dog dare. You know you can't turn those down when they're thrown your way.

Carniphage
Feb 18, 2013, 02:45 PM
-I'm in a meeting with my phone on vibrate in my pocket. Is that last message or incoming call important?

If the meeting is critical, then all incoming messages are ignored.
If the meeting is non-critical everyone looks at their phones. Looking at your watch is as rude as looking at your phone.

-Jogging. Biometric sensors in addition to the obvious notification convenience.

Every jogger in the world jogs with white earbuds in. Phone has accelerometer, GPS - so benefit becomes pulse measurement. Pulse measuring *is* a problem, but not one that warrants a mass market response from Apple.

-Going swimming in the pool out back, but expecting an important call or message. A lot more convenient to wear a watch in the pool than get out every time the phone beeps.

So your market is pool-owning workaholics? Don't see it busting open that Indian market.

For a company like Apple, any product that is not a significant seller looks like a flop. So a cool little gadget that appeals to a small demographic actually ends up making them look bad.

Unless they launch a product that can sell 20-30-100 million units, it's not worth it. And for that to happen it has to offer a solution to a universal human problem.

The security issue is one such problem. But I think they will put that solution into the product where it will reap the most benefit.

BaldiMac
Feb 18, 2013, 03:30 PM
If the meeting is critical, then all incoming messages are ignored.

Maybe for you.

If the meeting is non-critical everyone looks at their phones. Looking at your watch is as rude as looking at your phone.

Who said anything about "rude"? What's easier? Look at your wrist or pull out your phone?

Every jogger in the world jogs with white earbuds in. Phone has accelerometer, GPS - so benefit becomes pulse measurement. Pulse measuring *is* a problem, but not one that warrants a mass market response from Apple.

:rolleyes: Which ignores half of what I said and lacks the imagination to see beyond one possible sensor.

So your market is pool-owning workaholics? Don't see it busting open that Indian market.

Only if you ignore all the other situations that have been mentioned.

Hey, look! Again! You ignored the "killer apps" in favor of the smaller conveniences that you can just dismiss out of hand.

For a company like Apple, any product that is not a significant seller looks like a flop. So a cool little gadget that appeals to a small demographic actually ends up making them look bad.

Unless they launch a product that can sell 20-30-100 million units, it's not worth it. And for that to happen it has to offer a solution to a universal human problem.

And now you shift the argument. I could see Apple marketing an "iWatch" as an accessory to iOS devices in the $129 range.

scho52386
Feb 18, 2013, 03:32 PM
So since Pebble came out with the smart watch first...does this mean Apple and Samsung are copying Pebble? Or does it mean that if Apple comes out with a watch, Samsung is copying Apple?

Can't Pebble sue them both for the form factor since the devices will be watch-shaped and goes on the wrist? I heard I'm Watch is actually the first smart watch device.

So I think Sammy/Apple will copy Pebble who copied I'm Watch who copied the form factor of the first wrist watch who copied the hr/min/sec hands from the pocket watch who copied pocketable products from __________.

I hope this brings a lot of lawsuits to keep me entertained. Just kidding by the way. Just having fun.

scho52386
Feb 18, 2013, 03:47 PM
I don't know....Carniphage makes some good points. Some of the situations mentioned are...well...weird.

-I am not sure how many people swim while waiting for important phone calls, but i am sure they do.
-Jogging/Working Out: I really don't want another device/accessory while I am working out...Carrying a phone is enough, even with the arm strap to hold it onto your arm is annoying. Also...wearing a watch while working out isn't necessarily the best idea...I have hit my wrist against some stuff that would surely have cracked the face of a watch.
-In MY opinion, checking your watch is EXTREMELY rude in a meeting (depending on the meeting). It says "when is this going to be over" to the person(s) speaking. Checking your phone at least gives the thought that you are checking an important email or checking your calendar etc.

Yes, it can help with small inconveniences (if pulling your phone out of your pocket is really an inconvenience...) such as checking texts, calls, etc...but I don't know many watch wearers that will replace their Rolex or Seiko with a smart watch. IF Rolex or Seiko make one, I will probably buy it. Or if Apple comes out with one that will display social status like a Rolex or Seiko, I will probably buy it (even if it is hundreds more).

How good of an experience do you think users can get from being able to view emails on a watch (this was mentioned i think in a diff thread)? I know some of my emails contain paragraphs, graphs/charts, MS Office files, etc. Shoot...even some of my texts are long. Scrolling through a watch screen to see segments of my messages sound more of a hassle than pulling out my phone from my zipped, locked, thumbprinted pant pockets and just checking it on a larger screen.

Carniphage
Feb 18, 2013, 03:59 PM
And now you shift the argument. I could see Apple marketing an "iWatch" as an accessory to iOS devices in the $129 range.

No. Been saying the same thing from the get go.

Apple is really big. If they launch a product that sells "only 5 million" it looks like a flop. While those same numbers to another company look like a massive hit.

Which is why Apple must focus on products which have the potential to sell much more than that.

The trivial extended phone satellite screen is not that product. It isn't a real problem which needs a solution. It's a gimmick.

A real problem is one that a significant proportion of consumers need a solution to. I don't think pulse measurement is it. I don't think remote screen counts either.

I do think identification is it. But the watch form factor is not a solution to that problem.

Gotta work now.

BaldiMac
Feb 18, 2013, 04:00 PM
I don't know....Carniphage makes some good points. Some of the situations mentioned are...well...weird.

-I am not sure how many people swim while waiting for important phone calls, but i am sure they do.
-Jogging/Working Out: I really don't want another device/accessory while I am working out...Carrying a phone is enough, even with the arm strap to hold it onto your arm is annoying. Also...wearing a watch while working out isn't necessarily the best idea...I have hit my wrist against some stuff that would surely have cracked the face of a watch.
-In MY opinion, checking your watch is EXTREMELY rude in a meeting (depending on the meeting). It says "when is this going to be over" to the person(s) speaking. Checking your phone at least gives the thought that you are checking an important email or checking your calendar etc.

Yes, it can help with small inconveniences (if pulling your phone out of your pocket is really an inconvenience...) such as checking texts, calls, etc...but I don't know many watch wearers that will replace their Rolex or Seiko with a smart watch. IF Rolex or Seiko make one, I will probably buy it. Or if Apple comes out with one that will display social status like a Rolex or Seiko, I will probably buy it (even if it is hundreds more).

How good of an experience do you think users can get from being able to view emails on a watch (this was mentioned i think in a diff thread)? I know some of my emails contain paragraphs, graphs/charts, MS Office files, etc. Shoot...even some of my texts are long. Scrolling through a watch screen to see segments of my messages sound more of a hassle than pulling out my phone from my zipped, locked, thumbprinted pant pockets and just checking it on a larger screen.

Again, those were just three situations when a smart watch would be a convenience to some people. Off the cuff. I'm sure you can come up with your own situations when it would be more convenient to check a watch for notifications than pull out your phone.

The "killer apps" for an iWatch that were proposed in the article that I linked to earlier were:

Identity confirmation- so you don't have to enter a passcode/password
Lost iPhone prevention- notification when you walk away from your iPhone
NFC- Swipe your wrist instead of pulling out your $650+ phone

And many more possibilities.

BaldiMac
Feb 18, 2013, 04:12 PM
No. Been saying the same thing from the get go.

Apple is really big. If they launch a product that sells "only 5 million" it looks like a flop. While those same numbers to another company look like a massive hit.

Which is why Apple must focus on products which have the potential to sell much more than that.

Okay? Again, completely circular argument.

The trivial extended phone satellite screen is not that product. It isn't a real problem which needs a solution. It's a gimmick.

I assume you are referring to notification on the watch screen? You call it a gimmick. I'd call it a convenience. Not something I would buy a smart watch for on it's own, but a nice thing to have available if I had one.

A real problem is one that a significant proportion of consumers need a solution to. I don't think pulse measurement is it. I don't think remote screen counts either.

Your ability to ignore everything that doesn't fit your argument is dazzling! :D

I do think identification is it. But the watch form factor is not a solution to that problem.

Even though you were presented with a straightforward way that it could be a solution.

phillipduran
Feb 18, 2013, 04:23 PM
I am wondering how accepted an iWatch would be?

I think it will join the Bluetooth earpiece in its level of dorkiness. Useful yes, but quite awkward.

Carniphage
Feb 18, 2013, 04:24 PM
Even though you were presented with a straightforward way that it could be a solution.

Presented with a non-argument. Sorry but it does not hold up to scrutiny.

Security on a phone makes complete sense. Every user benefits.

Identity verification through a terminal to a phone restricts the utility of the function to only those consumers who buy both devices. That's insane.

Apple are not stupid - they want essential features to reach the highest number of consumers.

Nor are Apple willing to make the argument that "your phone is way too stealable to consider pulling out of your pocket!" Can you imagine how that would be depicted if they made it.

Such an argument makes owning a phone sound like a dangerous liability.

I buy a coffee every day with my phone and Passbook. Not once do I think "If I had a tiresomely rechargable watch, this process would be sooo much better."

BaldiMac
Feb 18, 2013, 04:59 PM
Presented with a non-argument. Sorry but it does not hold up to scrutiny.

Especially if you dismiss it out of hand and ignore the actual solution presented.

Security on a phone makes complete sense. Every user benefits.

Absolutely.

Identity verification through a terminal to a phone restricts the utility of the function to only those consumers who buy both devices. That's insane.

No, it doesn't. It adds additional convenience and security to people who purchase the second device.

Apple are not stupid - they want essential features to reach the highest number of consumers.

Yep. Maybe you, once again, ignored how the proposed feature would be implemented.

Nor are Apple willing to make the argument that "your phone is way too stealable to consider pulling out of your pocket!" Can you imagine how that would be depicted if they made it.

Such an argument makes owning a phone sound like a dangerous liability.

I'm sure they wouldn't put it that way. But highlighting the convenience of swiping your wrist over the NFC device, say... when you enter a crowded subway terminal with a bag in each hand, would be a good strategy.

I buy a coffee every day with my phone and Passbook. Not once do I think "If I had a tiresomely rechargable watch, this process would be sooo much better."

Good for you! But don't you ever think... I wish I didn't have to enter my passcode every time I want to use my phone? Or wouldn't it be better if I had a longer passcode, so my data was more secure... especially if I only needed to enter it very rarely? Or you could consider someone else that might think "I hope I don't need to dump out my entire purse to find my phone."

Carniphage
Feb 18, 2013, 05:16 PM
I'm sure they wouldn't put it that way. But highlighting the convenience of swiping your wrist over the NFC device, say... when you enter a crowded subway terminal with a bag in each hand, would be a good strategy.

I'm pretty sure that if done properly, even swiping is unnecessary.

Listen, I think there are these valid usage cases you describe.

If we were discussing Sony, they operate on a different basis. They let engineers build anything, turn them into products and see what sells. They'd have a smartwatch built and pushed out the door in weeks.

In fact, they have.

But since Jobs rejoined the company, Apple just isn't like that. They curate every product. Nothing goes out of the door unless they believe there is a compelling case for it on a global scale.

Even "a high power desktop computer" seems to be too niche for Apple.

So unless there is a hidden 90% to this technology, I am going to stick with a prediction that there will be no smart-watch technology from Apple in the next 3 years.

But I do think we are going to see a new product category in that period. I think it will be something to do with television distribution.

Because that *is* a problem.

feflower
Feb 18, 2013, 05:37 PM

Can't verify if your claim that Sony contracted Goldstar to produce their TVs, (and steal their technology) but what I do know is that the "G" in LG stands for Goldstar (the "L" stands for "Lucky"). So Goldstar, as far as I know, has nothing to do with Samsung.

turtlez
Feb 18, 2013, 10:15 PM
Companies don't have morals, they just want to make profit. All companies copy. Including Apple.

Samsung's profits and marketshare would suggest that what they're doing is working.

Just choose the product you like the most and enjoy it, let the lawyers worry about copyright and patent infringement.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't affect me financially or socially whether Samsung copies Apple but being a designer/artist myself I can't stand hearing about other artists getting their work ripped off.

Bocaj
Feb 19, 2013, 04:39 AM
Call it the iWatch !!!

Be the first Samsung!

----------

Steve walks out.

Says it couldn't be done.

But we did it guys.

We put in a curves glass in a watch.

We call it the iWatch.

And it's our best iWatch yet!

well, iPhone was first coined by linksys....(in 2000)

BaldiMac
Feb 19, 2013, 08:12 AM
I'm pretty sure that if done properly, even swiping is unnecessary.

Listen, I think there are these valid usage cases you describe.

If we were discussing Sony, they operate on a different basis. They let engineers build anything, turn them into products and see what sells. They'd have a smartwatch built and pushed out the door in weeks.

In fact, they have.

But since Jobs rejoined the company, Apple just isn't like that. They curate every product. Nothing goes out of the door unless they believe there is a compelling case for it on a global scale.

Even "a high power desktop computer" seems to be too niche for Apple.

So unless there is a hidden 90% to this technology, I am going to stick with a prediction that there will be no smart-watch technology from Apple in the next 3 years.

But I do think we are going to see a new product category in that period. I think it will be something to do with television distribution.

Because that *is* a problem.

And, again, you are now trying to shift the argument to whether Apple will produce a smart watch and if it will be successful. That's not what we were discussing.

You asked for a potential problem that a smart watch could solve. I provided an article with several well thought out use cases. You didn't read the article and/or pretended that the key problems were never mentioned. Even though you called one of the areas discussed an "essential technology".

Carniphage
Feb 19, 2013, 08:14 AM
And, again, you are now trying to shift the argument to whether Apple will produce a smart watch and if it will be successful. That's not what we were discussing.

That's what I was discussing.

These trivial usage cases are not sufficiently important or valuable to justify the introduction of a new product category.

Apple does not do this sort of stuff.

Dave.UK
Feb 19, 2013, 08:30 AM
So since Pebble came out with the smart watch first...does this mean Apple and Samsung are copying Pebble? Or does it mean that if Apple comes out with a watch, Samsung is copying Apple?

Can't Pebble sue them both for the form factor since the devices will be watch-shaped and goes on the wrist? I heard I'm Watch is actually the first smart watch device.

So I think Sammy/Apple will copy Pebble who copied I'm Watch who copied the form factor of the first wrist watch who copied the hr/min/sec hands from the pocket watch who copied pocketable products from __________.

I hope this brings a lot of lawsuits to keep me entertained. Just kidding by the way. Just having fun.

Samsung brought the first WatchPhone out during the 90's with a touchscreen version released in 2009 in France.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16857930&postcount=97

BaldiMac
Feb 19, 2013, 09:09 AM
That's what I was discussing.

Now. But the conversation started with you asking for problems that a smart watch could address. I provided some. You ignored them.

These trivial usage cases are not sufficiently important or valuable to justify the introduction of a new product category.

And, again, we already both agreed that identity confirmation and security was not a trivial use case. In addition to NFC and lost iPhone prevention.

Apple does not do this sort of stuff.

Sure they do. Apple TV has sold around 15 million in 5 years. Most of that in the last year. I'd imagine Time Capsules probably sell in the neighborhood that an Apple smart watch would sell on the low end. Apple In Ear Headphones. Airport Express. Smart Cases.

PracticalMac
Feb 19, 2013, 10:50 AM

Yes, what is the compelling, problem solving problem an iWatch will solve?

Lets look at this from other angles.
the iPhone did not really solve a problem, as current cell phones and even smart phones (blackberry) were more then adequate for the job. What it DID was, as the time, incorporate an iPod music player and significantly improved web browsing experience.
Everything else we have today on smartphones is other developers exploring the devices features as well as new ideas handset makers had.

Now lets look at the humble watch.
It is by far the most popular accessory for men, and quite popular on women. See the likes of Rolex, Omega (Bond's favorite), Breitling (aviators adverting), Bulova, all for hundreds or thousands of $$$$
Casio has done a fabulous job of integrating all manner of features into its watches (GPS too I think), and is very rugged.
Timex may not be as durable as it used to, but still has good reputation and popular following.

Watches are a trillion $$$$ industry.
Even if iWatch does not add anything new to watch designs, their is no doubt it will be a profitable segment to join.

BUT

As with the explosion of uses the iPhone enjoyed, I am sure developers will quickly find new ways to make use of an iWatch, and customers will want the latest wrist accessory.

IOW
iWatch is a SOLUTION looking for a problem. :)

coolspot18
Feb 19, 2013, 11:20 AM

... Maybe it's running Windows 8, it does run on ARM processors afterall.

Radio
Feb 19, 2013, 12:09 PM
I think they will have all kinds of iWatch bands

The smartband

runeapple
Feb 20, 2013, 02:39 PM
Am I the only one who can't see the point in iWatches?

ericrwalker
Feb 20, 2013, 02:47 PM

I am sure there might be a couple more people out there.

BaldiMac
Feb 20, 2013, 02:50 PM

Nope. But it would probably help if you knew what features they will have.

runeapple
Feb 20, 2013, 02:54 PM
Nope. But it would probably help if you knew what features they will have.

Regardless I'm sure my iPhone will already be able to do it and the screen is bigger and it's always on me anyway!

ericrwalker
Feb 20, 2013, 02:56 PM
Regardless I'm sure my iPhone will already be able to do it and the screen is bigger and it's always on me anyway!

I usually wear a watch anyway, if I didn't have to pull my phone out of my pocket to get a glance of a text or email I just received and can just look at my wrist that would be convenient. Sure it's not necessary, but it's probably a niche market luxury.

BaldiMac
Feb 20, 2013, 02:58 PM

Then what would be the point? :confused:

runeapple
Feb 20, 2013, 03:02 PM
I usually wear a watch anyway, if I didn't have to pull my phone out of my pocket to get a glance of a text or email I just received and can just look at my wrist that would be convenient. Sure it's not necessary, but it's probably a niche market luxury.

I guess that's the market - I don't wear a watch and maybe that's why I don't get it - I still don't believe Apple will make one but I can stand corrected haha!

ericrwalker
Feb 20, 2013, 03:05 PM
I guess that's the market - I don't wear a watch and maybe that's why I don't get it - I still don't believe Apple will make one but I can stand corrected haha!

The other thing is I rarely wear plastic watches, or watches with digital displays.

Out of the 8 watches I own, only one is digital, and what was my stopwatch for running. I don't think Apple will make an iWatch that I would wear. It has to be class and not tacky, and not be oversized.

runeapple
Feb 20, 2013, 03:13 PM
The other thing is I rarely wear plastic watches, or watches with digital displays.

Out of the 8 watches I own, only one is digital, and what was my stopwatch for running. I don't think Apple will make an iWatch that I would wear. It has to be class and not tacky, and not be oversized.

I am sure if Apple made a watch it would be classy, but it would be digital - I hate analog clocks personally so that wouldn't bother me, - digital watches are easier to get accurate time and you can see the time at a much quicker glance.

I have quite small wrists so I can't imagine it would fit me anyway!

ericrwalker
Feb 20, 2013, 03:16 PM
I am sure if Apple made a watch it would be classy, but it would be digital - I hate analog clocks personally so that wouldn't bother me, - digital watches are easier to get accurate time and you can see the time at a much quicker glance.

I have quite small wrists so I can't imagine it would fit me anyway!

I just can't image a watch with a digital face not looking like a toy.

Of all the "smart watches" out there right now Martian watches are the only ones I like, but the thing looks like it's a half inch thick.

I could wear this with a metal band.

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/50e4436169bedd406700000d-703-399-299/iwatch-4.jpg

runeapple
Feb 20, 2013, 03:28 PM

Of all the "smart watches" out there right now Martian watches are the only ones I like, but the thing looks like it's a half inch thick.

Image (http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/50e4436169bedd406700000d-703-399-299/iwatch-4.jpg)

I'm sure they could come up with a nicer design then that - I would imagine they would still use aluminium so it will be ScuffGate allover again, but as a watch is always out in the elements it will scratch even more than the iPhone.

However saying that a black aluminium watch (including black aluminium strap) would look classy IMHO and would be nice and light without having any horrible plasticy look

runeapple
Feb 20, 2013, 04:02 PM

Image (http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/50e4436169bedd406700000d-703-399-299/iwatch-4.jpg)

I tried creating a mockup when I noticed how bad my photoshop skills are, this isn't really what I had in mind but ho hum! http://i.imgur.com/owypByR.png

ericrwalker
Feb 20, 2013, 05:45 PM
I tried creating a mockup when I noticed how bad my photoshop skills are, this isn't really what I had in mind but ho hum! Image (http://i.imgur.com/owypByR.png)

That looks great. I'd buy that, if my wife lets me.

spacerays
Feb 20, 2013, 09:36 PM
I think you mean discovered. Numbers are inherent in nature.

No, I mean invented, the "Decimal System". There are other ways of counting, other than decimal. Like Binary, Octal, Hexadecimal, etc.

Decimal is just based on the number of fingers we have on our hands. Thats not inherent in nature.

Some cultures do use non-decimal number systems:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal#Other_bases

runeapple
Feb 21, 2013, 02:21 AM
That looks great. I'd buy that, if my wife lets me.

It looked way better in my head, haha always down to the wife! Buy her some flowers and your good to go!

rudychidiac
Feb 23, 2013, 02:26 PM
LOL nice one...

Image (http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module2/77884/linux_wrist_7.jpg)

----------

cruggles
Feb 26, 2013, 08:49 PM
I have ordered a Pebble, but I won't wear it all the time - it's not classy enough. I will wear it at work, for it's functional advantages. But I also have classy analog watches that I will continue to wear for going out or more formal occasions.

Pebble advantages:
- epaper display - low power consumption, charge once/week
- SDK for 3rd party apps
- low cost
- cross platform iOS/Android
- supports notifications (including text) from devices
- controls music
- built in accelerometer for fitness apps
- built in vibration for notifications
- water resistant for swimming (leave your iphone by the pool)
- very enthusiastic company (I have had 33 project update emails from them since I ordered last year - very impressed)

Pebble disadvantages:
- still have to charge once/week, no wireless or inductive charging
- epaper display is disappointingly low resolution
- not very attractive (plastic, oversized)
- no touch screen (button interface only)
- small startup company so they are limited in resources and the manufacture/design process is a steep learning curve for them

If Apple could take the Pebble and overcome the style, display and charging issues, they would have a killer device.

cruggles
Feb 26, 2013, 09:00 PM
Oh, and what is the problem that Pebble will solve for me?

Mostly the notifications. I carry my iPhone with me in my trouser pocket. It is often inconvenient for me to pull my phone out of my pocket just to look at a notification - such as when driving or busy working.

Many of the notifications do not need a response straight away, but I like to be notified. Such as calendar reminders, text messages, emails, stock price movements/announcements. If I can just glance at my wrist that would be a killer solution to a big problem for me.

My wife has an even bigger problem. As a female she does not normally carry her phone in her pocket, and she frequently keeps it on silent/vibrate mode. It will either be sitting on a desk or in her handbag. She often misses phone calls and text messages, and often misplaces her phone. I know, because a lot of those phone calls and text messages come from me. The Pebble would solve that for her, and the "don't let me get separated from my phone" function would also solve a big problem for her (when someone writes the app!).

So I have ordered her one too, but I don't know if she will wear it very often because of it's appearance.

So please, Apple, I beg you. Design one my wife will wear! After all, it was Apple who brought smartphones into the land of cool for the female gender!