Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
This is the configuration I bought:

20in
500GB HD
1.5GB RAM

However, I was thinking of changing to only 1GB of RAM.

I know you're supposed to get better performance out of your RAM on the iMac if your RAM is matched in equal pairs. So, what is better? To have:

1GB RAM 2x512 GB in matched pairs

-OR-

1.5GB RAM 1x1GB + 1x512GB

Really undecided here. Educated opinions weigh in please!

Thank You.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
What is best is getting the least amount of RAM possible, and then buying vastly cheaper 3rd party RAM. Seriously. 1.5GB or 2GB is great, but not at Apple prices.

As far as matched/unmatched: if you rarely exceed your physical RAM, matched provides good speed benefits. But... if you'd have over 1GB active, unmatched RAM is much, much faster than disk. So it depends on your needs.

LGRW3919

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2005
cupertino (no joke)
NickCharles said:

20in
500GB HD
1.5GB RAM

I know you're supposed to get better performance out of your RAM on the iMac if your RAM is matched in equal pairs. So, what is better? To have:

-OR-

Thank You.

There have been benchmarks released by some computing website that proved that, in real world situations, matching pairs of RAM didn't affect the performance. at the moment i have homework to do and can't find it on google. but i would check their first in the future for information.

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
NickCharles said:

20in
500GB HD
1.5GB RAM

-OR-

Thank You.
damn dude you must have some money

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
Ummm wow, I just asked for advice on matched pairs versus unmatched pairs, and of the responses only 2 people gave me real answers. AJ Muni just abused me by calling me stupid and idiotic for getting the memory from the get go with my order from Apple. Gee thanks.

I know all about Ramjet, and it is where I prefer to get my RAM from, I've ordered from them before. However, I also don't care to bother with that this time around, and care more for the convenience of just having it pre-installed. I'm also not interested in a 250GB HD with a LaCie external.

Please, respect my personal decisions and don't post here just to call me an "idiot".

Any other thoughtful, helpful answers are appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. By getting only the standard 512mb of RAM and then getting a 1GB chip from Ramjet, I'm only saving $51.00 off my original configuration. Apple is charging $200.00 for the extra 1GB and Ramjet $149.00. I'd rather the convenience.

CyberDoberman

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2005
NickCharles said:
Ummm wow, I just asked for advice on matched pairs versus unmatched pairs, and of the responses only 2 people gave me real answers. AJ Muni just abused me by calling me stupid and idiotic for getting the memory from the get go with my order from Apple. Gee thanks.

I know all about Ramjet, and it is where I prefer to get my RAM from, I've ordered from them before. However, I also don't care to bother with that this time around, and care more for the convenience of just having it pre-installed. I'm also not interested in a 250GB HD with a LaCie external.

Please, respect my personal decisions and don't post here just to call me an "idiot".

Any other thoughtful, helpful answers are appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. By getting only the standard 512mb of RAM and then getting a 1GB chip from Ramjet, I'm only saving $51.00 off my original configuration. Apple is charging $200.00 for the extra 1GB and Ramjet $149.00. I'd rather the convenience.

Get the matched pairs.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
You know what? I just got off the phone with Apple and they said any changes I make to my RAM configuration will just push my order to the back of the line in terms of shipping, so I'm gonna just stick with what I have. I want this machine sooner rather than later.

Thanks much to those of you who gave helpful responses.

Cheers.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
NickCharles said:

20in
500GB HD
1.5GB RAM

-OR-

Thank You.

It's not going to make any noticeable difference. It's not dual channel so the memory doesn't have to be matched. There may be a difference in benchmarks but the extra 512MB will make a bigger difference in practice.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
NickCharles said:
AJ Muni just abused me by calling me stupid and idiotic for getting the memory from the get go with my order from Apple. Gee thanks..

i didnt abuse you...its my opinion dude dont be so sensitive about it.... hey if u got the money for it more power to ya....good luck with the wait, and hope u enjoy your new kick-ass imac g5...

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I think you made a really good choice, especially the 500 GB internal drive. This new iMac is really tempting me. I don't need it at all, but it sure is a good deal.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Just changed my order to the 20". I just could not resist the size of that beauty. I remember seeing them in the store and the 20" was just a world apart from the 17" in terms of sheer size. I used to say I would never own an iMac but I recently sold my LCD and I was going to get a PowerBook, but this revision of the iMac simply impressed me too much to pass up. For the money, you simply cannot beat what you get :eek:

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Chrispy said:
Just changed my order to the 20". I just could not resist the size of that beauty. I remember seeing them in the store and the 20" was just a world apart from the 17" in terms of sheer size. I used to say I would never own an iMac but I recently sold my LCD and I was going to get a PowerBook, but this revision of the iMac simply impressed me too much to pass up. For the money, you simply cannot beat what you get :eek:

I know, damn! I just got a new LCD and ordered an upgrade for my Cube, oh man... or I'd have been all over this iMac. Didn't see it coming at all. I wonder if I could return that LCD...

Just kidding!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
NickCharles said:
-OR-
This entire question is a non-starter.

The iMac G5 20" 2.1 GHz has only one accessible RAM socket. You cannot buy matched pairs, no-how. It uses 533 MHz DDR-2 RAM - completely different from the DDR PC3200 RAM in prrevious machines.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
livingfortoday said:
I know, damn! I just got a new LCD and ordered an upgrade for my Cube, oh man... or I'd have been all over this iMac. Didn't see it coming at all. I wonder if I could return that LCD...

Just kidding!

;) I would have waited for the powermacs and kept the 20" had I know Apple was going to start using DDR2 and PCI Express haha. I was all set to get an updated powerbook but I just could not resist this deal. I assume you got my PM from earlier today too :)

iDM

macrumors 6502a
jsw said:
What is best is getting the least amount of RAM possible, and then buying vastly cheaper 3rd party RAM. Seriously. 1.5GB or 2GB is great, but not at Apple prices.

As far as matched/unmatched: if you rarely exceed your physical RAM, matched provides good speed benefits. But... if you'd have over 1GB active, unmatched RAM is much, much faster than disk. So it depends on your needs.

I agree i say scale down on the website the amount of ram you buy and then buy as much as you can afford or as much as you save from not buying the ram from apple and then max out your ram. Althought i have heard the whole matching ram on iMac's is faster then two different chips, i refuse to believe 1.5 gigs of unmatched ram is slower then 1 gig, it just can not be right.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
check out barefeats.com. they compared matched vs. unmatched ram at some point. as much as i remember it's better to have more ram than matched ram in almost all cases. maybe in some game you get 2FPS more with the matched ram, but in everyday life you get more from more ram. as for ram prices the $200 seems to be o.k.. good retailers are only a few bucks cheaper.
as for the 500GB disk i agree with your choice. i wouldn't want the extra cable and box. that's worth the little extra money.

i'm thinking about a mid range powermac but the 20" imac in your configuration especially with the good gpu makes me think.

enjoy your mac. hope you get it soon.

andi

edit: here you are: http://www.barefeats.com/imacg5d.html

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Anyone else notice that on the 17'' iMac, you can upgrade to 1 GB of ram for free?

Just checked it out, it seems its only the education store.

Attachments

• screenshot_09.jpg
    screenshot_09.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 125

seabass069

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2005
Hey don't worry what some jeolous knucklehead says. I personally would go with the lowest amount of ram that apple offers. Then I would go to http://www.zipzoomfly order 2 gb of ram and get the ram in two days with free shipping. There ram is cheaper than just about anywhere w/ free 2 day shipping.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
seabass069 said:
Hey don't worry what some jeolous knucklehead says. I personally would go with the lowest amount of ram that apple offers. Then I would go to http://www.zipzoomfly order 2 gb of ram and get the ram in two days with free shipping. There ram is cheaper than just about anywhere w/ free 2 day shipping.

that link is strange, directs you just to a internet search site that then directs you to nextag to search for cheap ram. i can do that in google faster and better without pop up windows.

it's basically crap. please post more useful links.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Koodauw said:
Anyone else notice that on the 17'' iMac, you can upgrade to 1 GB of ram for free?

Just checked it out, it seems its only the education store.

Yup, just checked it out and you are right. If I was thinking of buying now, I would do it before they change that.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Well I did PM you will all kinds of good advice and a price from Crucial
for a 1 GB stick for $124.00, but I undertsand that the delay is not
worth it for you.

What blows my mind is the price for the single 2 GB sticks! Over $900
for one stick of RAM!

EEEEEK!

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
wwooden said:
Yup, just checked it out and you are right. If I was thinking of buying now, I would do it before they change that.

I ordered one and when they confirm your order they change the price to reflect the charge for the additional memory :( I canceled that order and placed one for a 20" instead. I figure it is a better investment anyways since you can change the screen once you get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.