PDA

View Full Version : GoodNotes powerpoint

3lite
Feb 15, 2013, 06:23 PM
Why does GoodNotes automatically convert my Powerpoint file to PDF? Is there a way to not have it converted and just view the PPT on goodnotes?

Cptnodegard
Feb 16, 2013, 07:48 AM
Why does GoodNotes automatically convert my Powerpoint file to PDF? Is there a way to not have it converted and just view the PPT on goodnotes?

Powerpoint files don't have an annotation layer, PDF does. That's also why e.g. Goodreader won't let you annotate Word files, because these apps are using the file formats as they were made, and as such need to save in a file format that support annotation. If you just want to view a PPT file, a dedicated note taking app isn't what you should be using anyways, which I'm guessing is the logic behind not having a view-only mode.

3lite
Feb 16, 2013, 10:54 PM
Powerpoint files don't have an annotation layer, PDF does. That's also why e.g. Goodreader won't let you annotate Word files, because these apps are using the file formats as they were made, and as such need to save in a file format that support annotation. If you just want to view a PPT file, a dedicated note taking app isn't what you should be using anyways, which I'm guessing is the logic behind not having a view-only mode.

I'm using SmartOffice 2 just to view the PPT in its proper format. GoodNotes is still the best notetaking app on the iPad.