PDA

View Full Version : When will Apple show off/release iOS 7?

irDigital0l
Feb 16, 2013, 04:48 PM
Apple has done this two ways in the past...

iPhone OS 2, 3, iOS 4
April - preview
June - public release

iOS 5, 6
June - preview at WWDC
Sep/Oct - public release

Rumors are that Apple will release the iPhone 5S sooner, maybe as soon as in June/July compared to Sep/Oct.

moonman239
Feb 16, 2013, 07:20 PM
Apple generally releases iOSx updates with the release of a new iPhone, and I'd say the probability of a pre-iOS preview rumor of iOS being correct is slim.

AlphaVictor87
Feb 16, 2013, 10:31 PM
Apple generally releases iOSx updates with the release of a new iPhone, and I'd say the probability of a pre-iOS preview rumor of iOS being correct is slim.

That makes no sense, Apple always announces the new iOS months before the actual release and that's when the betas start. And the actual release is with a new phone.

OP I'd say probably the same as last 2 years with announcement at WWDC.

maxosx
Feb 16, 2013, 10:36 PM
I expect iOS 7 to be a further refined iOS6. Apple's path is set, to expect some major wow factor is to set yourself up for great disappointment.

irDigital0l
Feb 17, 2013, 02:01 AM
That makes no sense, Apple always announces the new iOS months before the actual release and that's when the betas start. And the actual release is with a new phone.

OP I'd say probably the same as last 2 years with announcement at WWDC.

Yup, Apple has always shown off the major iOS update with the new iPhone.

I guess the real questions is when will we see the iPhone 5S? WWDC or in Sep?

Moccasin
Feb 17, 2013, 02:52 AM
Yup, Apple has always shown off the major iOS update with the new iPhone.

I guess the real questions is when will we see the iPhone 5S? WWDC or in Sep?

Er no, the iOS is shown off a few months before that year's iPhone is released. Sometimes a new feature that was kept under wraps is announced with the phone, but the software is trailed 2-3 months before the phone is announced.

If invitations to an event are sent out in the next couple of months, then we have a good chance of an early iPhone. If not, then the likelihood is phone released around October again. I'm hoping for the former - my iPhone 4 will be 3 years old by then and will no doubt struggle with iOS 7.

Will be intriguing - could that putative ATV event that was speculated about, and which was rubbished by Dalrymple, actually be a preview of iOS 7? Would seem a little early, given that Jony Ive only got his hands on things a few months ago.

dazed
Feb 17, 2013, 03:51 AM
I expect iOS 7 to be a further refined iOS6. Apple's path is set, to expect some major wow factor is to set yourself up for great disappointment.

I hope you are wrong but do fear the worst. I still have a 3GS so it would be a miracle if IOS 7 worked anyway.

shenfrey
Feb 17, 2013, 05:32 AM
As long as they let us switch default app then I'm happy, it's all i want.

sagar4995
Feb 17, 2013, 05:46 AM
not this year.
just my guess.

4sguy
Feb 17, 2013, 05:53 AM
I hope you are wrong but do fear the worst. I still have a 3GS so it would be a miracle if IOS 7 worked anyway.

It should. I mean, what's so special about iOS that the 3Gs couldn't handle? 3D maps? Disable it for the 3Gs.

iOS hasn't changed much since 2007. It should be able to be run by any phone.

irDigital0l
Feb 17, 2013, 05:15 PM

iOS 6 is the last iOS that will support the iPhone 3GS.

Apple stopped selling them just like the iPad 1 which means no more upgrades.

quietstormSD
Feb 17, 2013, 05:43 PM
I think you would see a preview at WWDC with the release of an iPhone 5S, then a release in early November with the release of an iPhone 6. Or at least I hope.:D

dazed
Feb 17, 2013, 06:11 PM

Just what I was thinking. Thankfully I got as far as ios 6 which fixed all the issue ios5 gave me :)

TacticalDesire
Feb 17, 2013, 11:36 PM
Hopefully iOS 7 isn't too RAM intensive. Ram has been the biggest reason for performance issues. iOS 4 was awful on the 3G because of its 128mb. iOS 5 is awful on the first gen iPad because of its 256mb and iOS 6 is awful on the touch 4th gen because of 256mb. If its gonna kill the device, don't release it for it.

Beeplance
Feb 17, 2013, 11:42 PM
If iOS 7 supports the 3GS, I'll wire the entire contents of my bank account to a random charitable organisation. I'm serious.

iOS 7 ain't gonna support the 3GS. It just ain't gonna happen.

Random 995K
Feb 18, 2013, 04:20 AM
If iOS 7 supports the 3GS, I'll wire the entire contents of my bank account to a random charitable organisation. I'm serious.

Why not upgrade then lol.

Ste Nova
Feb 18, 2013, 05:17 AM

how long ago did they stop selling the 3gs????

edit.. found it "On September 12, 2012, Apple announced that they will no longer be selling and supporting the iPhone 3GS"

zhandri
Feb 18, 2013, 05:29 AM
i hope we will see some major improvements when they stop supporting the 3GS. i think hardware limitation is a big problem concerning the ios updates

Beeplance
Feb 18, 2013, 05:32 AM
Why not upgrade then lol.

I wanna use my 3GS until it disintegrates. Still working fine and I don't have a need for most of the new features of the newer models.

i hope we will see some major improvements when they stop supporting the 3GS. i think hardware limitation is a big problem concerning the ios updates

The iPhone 4 has a similar processor as the 3GS. Not sure if it will support iOS 7 as well, although it's still being sold.

Random 995K
Feb 18, 2013, 05:52 AM
I wanna use my 3GS until it disintegrates. Still working fine and I don't have a need for most of the new features of the newer models.

Fair enough, hopefully you can upgrade to iOS 7 but the odds are slim.

trustme
Feb 18, 2013, 11:38 AM

Why? I have a 2009 MacBook Pro which they stopped selling but it still gets upgrades.

nepalisherpa
Feb 18, 2013, 12:33 PM

So, you are ready to donate more than $199+tax to some charitable organization but not ready to spend the same amount on a new phone? Makes sense if your bank account has less than $199. :D

irDigital0l
Feb 18, 2013, 01:02 PM
Why? I have a 2009 MacBook Pro which they stopped selling but it still gets upgrades.

You should ask Apple.

They want people to upgrade.

Plus the iPhone 3GS only has 256MB of RAM.

Im sure your 2009 MBP has more power than that.

Xenomorph
Feb 18, 2013, 03:07 PM

$650 phone vs $2,000 computer. Not really comparable.

gmanist1000
Feb 18, 2013, 04:56 PM
Same as last year, I predict.

teknikal90
Feb 18, 2013, 07:49 PM
the timing changed because the release schedule of iphones changed.

irDigital0l
Feb 19, 2013, 02:23 AM
the timing changed because the release schedule of iphones changed.

Yes, but there's been quite a lot of rumors saying that the iPhone 5S will be released sooner (June/July) instead of Sep/Oct.

dirkyd3rk
Feb 19, 2013, 03:56 AM
Why are you expecting major changes? What more can they do with a phone that's pretty much only an app drawer...

I'm guessing they will announce ios7 by June and ios 7 will probably introduce the secret iRadio they been working on with is a streaming service similar to pandora; I think. Maybe some performance tweaks too cause battery has gone downhill after ios 5

MonkeySee....
Feb 19, 2013, 03:58 AM
As long as they let us switch default app then I'm happy, it's all i want.

ha. That will never happen. So you're going to be the more unpopular dwarf.....Grumpy.

trustme
Feb 19, 2013, 04:52 AM
$650 phone vs $2,000 computer. Not really comparable.

$650 phone vs. $1,000 laptop. Pretty comparable IMO.

TheRainKing
Feb 19, 2013, 09:13 AM
Would be cool if the 3GS somehow got iOS7 but it probably won't happen. Like others have said, as soon as Apple stop selling something that is when the support seems to end. Can't really use laptops as a counter argument because their specs are a lot high and therefore they capable of supporting new software and new operating systems for a longer period.

irDigital0l
Feb 19, 2013, 05:22 PM
Why are you expecting major changes? What more can they do with a phone that's pretty much only an app drawer...

I'm guessing they will announce ios7 by June and ios 7 will probably introduce the secret iRadio they been working on with is a streaming service similar to pandora; I think. Maybe some performance tweaks too cause battery has gone downhill after ios 5

Well there's a TON of stuff Apple could look at and improve. Just look at Android, Windows 8, even BlackBerry 10.

Somethings off the top of my head
-Greatly improved Notification Center
-Mission Control multitasking for iPad, multi-touch gestures for iPhone
-More features for Siri including API for devs
-New iCloud features
-More sharing options (EverNote, Dropbox, etc.), user choice
-FaceTime with group chat
-iWork with Google Docs features

WhackyNinja
Feb 20, 2013, 12:33 AM
Well there's a TON of stuff Apple could look at and improve. Just look at Android, Windows 8, even BlackBerry 10.

Somethings off the top of my head
-Greatly improved Notification Center
-Mission Control multitasking for iPad, multi-touch gestures for iPhone
-More features for Siri including API for devs
-New iCloud features
-More sharing options (EverNote, Dropbox, etc.), user choice
-FaceTime with group chat
-iWork with Google Docs features

They could do a new app switching for the iPhone, ML Dock will be nice too, maybe a few widgets on Notification Center wont hurt. A new Safari wont be TOO much to ask, also one thing I would like to see in iOS 7 is when Notification Banners pop up the ability to swipe it away, just like Windows Phone 7, instead of waiting for it to go away.

Razeus
Feb 20, 2013, 02:21 PM
I'm sure Apple is working like mad on iOS 7. The game has changed so much since iOS 6 launched. Actually iOS 5 since iOS 6 didn't do squat.

Between what I just saw from HTC's One and what I'm hearing for the S4...this will be my make or break year from Apple.

Just give me the option to pick my own default apps, a native way to transfer files between other iPhones, iPad user accounts and iPhone "kid" mode, more integrated services (ie Dropbox, Flickr) and I'd be happy. Well, with better camera/sensor ability too. But I'm sure we won't even get that.

Shadyriley
Feb 20, 2013, 02:38 PM
They could do a new app switching for the iPhone, ML Dock will be nice too, maybe a few widgets on Notification Center wont hurt. A new Safari wont be TOO much to ask, also one thing I would like to see in iOS 7 is when Notification Banners pop up the ability to swipe it away, just like Windows Phone 7, instead of waiting for it to go away.

you can already swipe it away...

nepalisherpa
Feb 20, 2013, 03:40 PM
Since Samsung is going to release S4 soon, I don't think Apple will wait until Fall to release a new iOS/phone.

AppleDeviceUser
Feb 20, 2013, 03:42 PM
I'd say at WWDC 2013

kristoffer4
Mar 11, 2013, 12:19 PM
I am also guessing WWDC but hope we see it before!

cynics
Mar 11, 2013, 12:51 PM
I hope the 3GS isn't supported. I feel older devices are holding back iOS. I have a 4S and the phone works just fine on iOS 6. Make iOS 7 awesome to the point only the 5 and 5S can support it.

I'm not saying older devices shouldn't be supported at all. 6.1.x is fine for bug fixing and security upgrades.

If I deem a new version of iOS is a must have I'll upgrade my iPhone if its not supported. I thought it was strange I got everything the 5 did with iOS 6. While I'm happy I have no incentive to upgrade. The hardware isn't stuff I really care about the software is. I'd hate to think iOS is dull/stale because apple wanted to support my old iPhone.

Razeus
Mar 11, 2013, 01:23 PM
I'm surprised Apple hasn't announced an event yet. Perhaps they are waiting for Samsung's reveal on Thursday so they can make last minutes changes to iOS 7. iOS 6 is so far behind the times.

marvz
Mar 11, 2013, 02:48 PM
I'm thinking that apple will announce something this thursday...

irDigital0l
Mar 11, 2013, 05:57 PM
I hope the 3GS isn't supported. I feel older devices are holding back iOS. I have a 4S and the phone works just fine on iOS 6. Make iOS 7 awesome to the point only the 5 and 5S can support it.

I'm not saying older devices shouldn't be supported at all. 6.1.x is fine for bug fixing and security upgrades.

If I deem a new version of iOS is a must have I'll upgrade my iPhone if its not supported. I thought it was strange I got everything the 5 did with iOS 6. While I'm happy I have no incentive to upgrade. The hardware isn't stuff I really care about the software is. I'd hate to think iOS is dull/stale because apple wanted to support my old iPhone.

Nope, iOS 6 was the iPhone 3GS last major update.

----------

I'm surprised Apple hasn't announced an event yet. Perhaps they are waiting for Samsung's reveal on Thursday so they can make last minutes changes to iOS 7. iOS 6 is so far behind the times.

But Samsung isn't introducing any new OS like Android 5.0 KLP.

It might have some cool features just for the GS4.

Not sure if it would be better for Apple to release something before that to take some hype away or after.

Razeus
Mar 12, 2013, 01:55 PM
Nope, iOS 6 was the iPhone 3GS last major update.

----------

But Samsung isn't introducing any new OS like Android 5.0 KLP.

It might have some cool features just for the GS4.

Not sure if it would be better for Apple to release something before that to take some hype away or after.

Perhaps, but Samsung can "tack on" features for whatever the current version of Android is. Still, Apple needs to counter the S4 selling a bajillion phones like the S3 did. The S3 was Samsung's breakout hit. Every S4 that's sold is one less for Apple. Apple's iOS choices and skinny screen just isn't going to cut it. I'm already contemplating a movie to Android with the HTC One in my sights.

note235
Mar 12, 2013, 05:17 PM
given the rumors of a june/july release i say a late march to late april for ios 7 could be in the works
i think ios4 had it in early april?
still time

sk24iam
Mar 12, 2013, 09:20 PM
I expect they will have it in June just as they always have.

Hail Caesar
Mar 12, 2013, 10:31 PM
Preview in the summer with an early fall release.

maxosx
Mar 12, 2013, 10:59 PM
iOS works well for me. No rush for 7.

Razeus
Mar 13, 2013, 09:25 AM
My guess, Apple software engineers are working some serious overtime. 2013 is going to make or break Apple, so to speak. If they come with the same old design and inconsistent apps, they will lose users.

iPusch
Mar 13, 2013, 09:38 AM
I am really excited for it :)
Time goes by sooo quickly, we are already in the mid of march...
Waiting for June, b-day^^ haha and WWDC -.-

irDigital0l
Mar 14, 2013, 11:23 PM
I expect they will have it in June just as they always have.

Well iOS 5 and 6 yes.

Before iOS 5 they were shown in a separate preview event in April.