Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdon401

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
Hi, question I got from a friend...did Apple invent Firewire technology and USB port tech as well, think I heard they did somewhere but not sure?
Thanks
R

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
Counterfit said:
USB = Intel
FireWire = Apple (with Sony joining in later)
did sony invent the 4-pin thing? if so...ugh...they suck...
edit: speaking of sony and 4-pin firewire, is there anything for the ps2 that uses firewire? i tried using a firewire hard drive to save pics in gt4 but it didnt work and i tried about every other firewire device i have...nothing.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
why does not all computers use fireWire , it all round better i have yet to find something that FireFire coudl not do if given teh chance!

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
homerjward said:
speaking of sony and 4-pin firewire, is there anything for the ps2 that uses firewire? i tried using a firewire hard drive to save pics in gt4 but it didnt work and i tried about every other firewire device i have...nothing.
Sony put iLink on the PS2 to allow gamers to network Playstations together (sort of like gameboy used to do). You need two games, two controllers, two PS2s, two TV, etc. Each gamer gets their own screen. Good idea until they released the network adapter. I'm pretty sure the PStwo doesn't come with the iLink port.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Actually Intel purchased the USB technology originally created by a single guy while working at some peripheral company whose name escapes me at the moment (Imation maybe).

FireWire was 100% Apple, who wanted to collect something like $0.25 per port for patent royalties.

As a side note Apple has now completely eliminated FireWire support from the iPods in favor of USB 2.0. This was claimed to be a "Windows" friendly move since a lot of PeeCees lack FireWire (and buying a $30 card to add FireWire is such a hardship for people who spend $400 for their entire PeeCee).

Oh well.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Sayer said:
FireWire was 100% Apple, who wanted to collect something like $0.25 per port for patent royalties.
Totally, totally incorrect.

Apple, Sony, Canon, ST Microelectronics, Matsushita, National Semiconductor, RF Microdevices, ST Microelectronics, and others I can't think of right now all directly had a hand in creating Firewire. They all share the patents for it. The 25 cents per system to use firewire even gets distributed between them all via the 1394 Licensing Authority. Even more companies were indirectly involved. Even an Intel protocol was used in the design. Apple just thinks they invented Firewire.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
zap2 said:
why does not all computers use fireWire , it all round better i have yet to find something that FireFire coudl not do if given teh chance!

Keyboards? Mice? Internal bus?

FireWire is much better for large files, USB is much better for small data transfers.

Also, the internal BlueTooth module connects through USB. Easier to implement than over FireWire.

They compliment each other. I think it is good mix... pretty easy to use and operate, anywhoo.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
homerjward said:
did sony invent the 4-pin thing? if so...ugh...they suck...
4 pin FireWire ports (a.k.a. i.Link) have their uses. They're great on digital video cameras, which require more power than the bus can provide (I think), or anything else that generally runs on separate power supplies.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
grapes911 said:
Totally, totally incorrect.

Apple, Sony, Canon, ST Microelectronics, Matsushita, National Semiconductor, RF Microdevices, ST Microelectronics, and others I can't think of right now all directly had a hand in creating Firewire. They all share the patents for it. The 25 cents per system to use firewire even gets distributed between them all via the 1394 Licensing Authority. Even more companies were indirectly involved. Even an Intel protocol was used in the design. Apple just thinks they invented Firewire.
Totally incorrect? Before spouting off, you would do well to read some history.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
MisterMe said:
So it looks like Apple invented the name Firewire but the IEEE had already established the standard which Apple modified.

Personally I prefer Firewire simply because it is easy to see which have to plug it in compared to USB.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Short: FireWire=Apple, USB=Intel

Long:
FireWire (the name) was created by Apple to describe a hardware interface that they designed most of, based on the control protocol defined by the IEEE. Apple and many other companies own patents on what is currently called 'FireWire'.

USB was originated by Intel, with input from many other companies, including Microsoft. It was, however, POPULARLIZED by Apple with the original iMac. (USB ports had been included on PCs for a couple years before that, but USB peripherals were few and far between until Apple forced Mac users to switch over.)

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Counterfit said:
4 pin FireWire ports (a.k.a. i.Link)

IEEE 1394 -Technical term
Firewire -Apple's name. Available in 6 or 4 pin.
i-Link -Sony's name. Available in 6 or 4 pin.
i-Link isn't just the 4 pin port on the video cameras.. That name is just used a lot because a lot are sony.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
MisterMe said:
Before you post links, you should read them.

FireWire was developed primarily by Apple Computer in the 1990s
Why would anyone say primary if they invented 100% of it? Wouldn't you just say "FireWire was developed by Apple Computer in the 1990s"?

Simultaneously, Sony and the other backers of the technology noted to Apple that they all had patents too and were entitled to per-port royalties.
Why would other companies hold patents for a technology that Apple invented by themselves?

According to Michael Johas Teener, original chair and editor of the IEEE 1394 standards document, and technical lead for Apple's FireWire team from 1990 until 1996:
According to Michael Johas Teener's website:
There are many people and organizations that worked together to "invent" Firewire.
link. The site lists many of the companies I listed above.

Maybe you are the one "spouting off". And take your own advice "you would do well to read some."

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
epepper9 said:
IEEE 1394 -Technical term
Firewire -Apple's name. Available in 6 or 4 pin.
i-Link -Sony's name. Available in 6 or 4 pin.
i-Link isn't just the 4 pin port on the video cameras.. That name is just used a lot because a lot are sony.
From Wikipedia*:
Sony's implementation of the system is known as i.Link, and uses only the four signal pins, discarding the two pins that provide power to the device in favor of a separate power connector on Sony's i.Link products.

*: I know I know, Wikipedia is not the end-all be-all resource, but it beats nothing.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Counterfit said:
From Wikipedia*:
Sony's implementation of the system is known as i.Link, and uses only the four signal pins, discarding the two pins that provide power to the device in favor of a separate power connector on Sony's i.Link products.
*: I know I know, Wikipedia is not the end-all be-all resource, but it beats nothing.

And in this case it's incorrect. :)

Sony's more expensive DV/DVCAM decks and cameras featuring i.Link use 6-pin, not 4-pin, jacks.

Lethal

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by LethalWolfe
And in this case it's incorrect.

Sony's more expensive DV/DVCAM decks and cameras featuring i.Link use 6-pin, not 4-pin, jacks.

Lethal
Apple has never made a 4 pin firewire, it came from Sony. Apple supports 6 pin (Firewire 400) and 9 pin (Firewire 800)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
And in case anyone is curious...
Intel created USB 2.0 because of Apple's Firewire, since Apple wanted to charge a very small fee for the use of each plug. You may see that USB is rated at faster speeds than firewire 400, however many tests have proved that this is not the case...Firewire is faster.

By the way, apple did make firewire...
Originally posted by Apple
...Apple's FireWire technology...
http://developer.apple.com/devicedrivers/firewire/index.html

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
LethalWolfe said:
And in this case it's incorrect. :)

Lethal

Yeah, but I'm probably not the only one that hears i.Link and assumes it'll be four pins.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
EricNau said:
Apple has never made a 4 pin firewire, it came from Sony. Apple supports 6 pin (Firewire 400) and 9 pin (Firewire 800)

Did I say Apple does have 4 pin FW products? And I don't know what the fixation w/Sony and the 4 pin is. Both the 6 and the 4 pin are part of the IEEE-1394 spec and there are tons of non-Sony, non-i.Link devices that only use 4 pins.

EricNau said:
By the way, apple did make firewire...
FireWire is basically Apple's version of IEEE-1394. Just as the iPod is Apple's version of an MP3 player. And following your logic that means that Apple invented the MP3 player. Apple has probably been the largest proponent of IEEE-1394-based technology, but giving them sole credit for said technology just isn't accurate. Macs embraced USB way before their PC counterparts, but we all know that Apple didn't invent USB.

Xeem said:
Yeah, but I'm probably not the only one that hears i.Link and assumes it'll be four pins.
And now you know the truth. You no longer have to assume.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.