Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeatmacrumors

Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Hi all,

Glad to be joining the forums. I bought a shiny new iPad 4th gen last weekend and enjoying it thoroughly. Last night, our idiot cat leaped off a table, knocking over a glass of water which hit the floor, and a spray of water hit the front of my iPad which was laying in the factory box. No water got in any inputs; only a bunch of droplets on the screen which were promptly cleaned off with a paper towel and then I used my cleaning cloth to polish it off. A little moisture got around the home button, but nothing major. It certainly wasn't submerged or anything, etc... I'm assuming I won't be needing to shlepp my iPad to the nearest Apple store, but what say the iPad gurus around here?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

mikeatmacrumors

Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Thanks for all the kind replies. I ended up returning it and getting a new one yesterday. But yeah, should consider ins!

mikeatmacrumors

Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Did you seriously exchange your iPad because of that little incident!?

Or were you having other problems with it? :)

Yeah, I did. I was still within my window to return it. I'd rather do that than obsess over things. Happy I did too. Obviously I won't leave the new one laying around with my wife's crazy-ass cat anymore.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Yeah, I did. I was still within my window to return it. I'd rather do that than obsess over things. Happy I did too. Obviously I won't leave the new one laying around with my wife's crazy-ass cat anymore.

The problem with that is you returned it thinking there may be an issue with it and that someone else can have it. That's not right. Returning a product because you did something to it is wrong. Whether or not you personally did it doesn't matter. You didn't return it for a problem with the device, you returned it because of something *you* did to it.

mikeatmacrumors

Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I informed the retailer that it was overheating so they wouldn't restock it.

The problem with that is you returned it thinking there may be an issue with it and that someone else can have it. That's not right. Returning a product because you did something to it is wrong. Whether or not you personally did it doesn't matter. You didn't return it for a problem with the device, you returned it because of something *you* did to it.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I informed the retailer that it was overheating so they wouldn't restock it.

Lol, so on top of returning it, you lied? Instead of all this you could have just purchased insurance for less than $60 bucks and had the peace of mind. Instead, you returned a product that wasn't broken and lied about why you were returning it.

mikeatmacrumors

Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
yeah, If I had purchased the ins in the first place, this event wouldn't take place. At any rate, thanks for your input. Have a good day.

Lol, so on top of returning it, you lied? Instead of all this you could have just purchased insurance for less than $60 bucks and had the peace of mind. Instead, you returned a product that wasn't broken and lied about why you were returning it.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
yeah, If I had purchased the ins in the first place, this event wouldn't take place. At any rate, thanks for your input. Have a good day.

Insurance can be purchased anytime after you buy your device, only AppleCare+ needs to be purchased within 30 days.

Also, you're the one that came here explaining how and why you returned it. If you can't handle some flack, don't post about what you just did. :)

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Gonna have one hell of a messy screened iPad if you never allow any water to hit the screen. :rolleyes:

Nothing would have happened to the iPad. I soak my screen with cleaner, or water when cleaning it, and nothing has ever been damaged.

----------

Insurance can be purchased anytime after you buy your device, only AppleCare+ needs to be purchased within 30 days.

Also, you're the one that came here explaining how and why you returned it. If you can't handle some flack, don't post about what you just did. :)

Yeah, since he was within the return window (14 days?) he could have just taken it into the Apple Store, and had it insured with AppleCare+. Then, if anything did in fact happen from some water mist, it would have been covered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.