PDA

View Full Version : FAQ: Some details behind Apple's announcement

MacBytes
Oct 12, 2005, 09:01 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: FAQ: Some details behind Apple's announcement (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051012220132)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

nagromme
Oct 12, 2005, 09:48 PM
Handy FAQ. Only one new thing for me:

"Unlike the external iSight, there is no built-in door. A green light indicates the camera is on."

Good--at least there's SOME way to judge whether your iMac is watching you :)

dornoforpyros
Oct 12, 2005, 10:52 PM
and if your still paranoid I'm sure you can spare some duct tape & tin foil from your hat haha

RHutch
Oct 12, 2005, 11:25 PM
I'd like to know the source for the answers they provide. In particular, I had also been wondering whether the previous photo models would be upgraded via software update to allow video playing. They say "no", but don't offer any explanation. The photo models already do sound and video out to TV, and I've read that the video capabilities were disabled by Apple. I'll wait for official word from Apple and send a request in the mean time.

SummerBreeze
Oct 13, 2005, 01:40 AM
Is it just me, or did this article sound condescending?

24C
Oct 13, 2005, 01:47 AM
Handy FAQ. Only one new thing for me:

"Unlike the external iSight, there is no built-in door. A green light indicates the camera is on."

Good--at least there's SOME way to judge whether your iMac is watching you :)
Except some enterprising hack could disable this LED and it'd be like HAL all over again :eek:

ntg
Oct 13, 2005, 04:39 AM
hang on a minute...

he says the remote uses Infra-red, but the tech specs of the new iMac only mention Bluetooth and Wi-Fi!

There is no mention of an additional I/R dongle with the remote...

Can anyone please confirm this?

I guessed it would be BT, so I already ordered myself a remote for this laptop (BT and Wi-Fi built in, so didn't envisage a problem!)

Any thoughts?

Nig. :confused:

Edit: Compatible with Apple products introduced in 2005 or later that have a built-in Infrared (IR) receiver.

I just found this at the bottom of the spec for the remote!

So WHY doesn't the spec for the iMac mention built-in I/R?

asif786
Oct 13, 2005, 05:12 AM
Edit: Compatible with Apple products introduced in 2005 or later that have a built-in Infrared (IR) receiver.

I just found this at the bottom of the spec for the remote!

I *think* that the new universal dock has built in IR. So I think you have to buy the remote and the dock..and then connect the dock to your mac and maybe it'll work? I'm not sure..but maybe ..

robbieduncan
Oct 13, 2005, 05:31 AM
I *think* that the new universal dock has built in IR. So I think you have to buy the remote and the dock..and then connect the dock to your mac and maybe it'll work? I'm not sure..but maybe ..

I was wondering about this too, but the dock only talks about controlling an iPod in the dock.

I am expecting a boxed product at some point that includes the remote, a CD with Front Row and a little white USB IR receiver...

wordmunger
Oct 13, 2005, 05:41 AM

No, it's not just you. The fact that it's on the MSN tech and gadgets page might have something to do with it. I wonder if they'd have the same tone if they were reviewing a <i>Microsoft</i> product.

For example, take the first one:
Can I copy DVDs into iTunes and then into the iPod?
Not with the Apple-supplied software.
Couldn't they just as easily say, "yes, but you'll need to convert them into an iPod-compatible format, which requires additional software"?

nagromme
Oct 13, 2005, 09:17 AM
I'd like to know the source for the answers they provide. In particular, I had also been wondering whether the previous photo models would be upgraded via software update to allow video playing.
I think they mean it's not available to older color iPods NOW. And I doubt it ever will be (screen size is different in pixels, for one thing, plus Apple makes money on iPods more than iTMS). But I don't recall Apple actually saying flat-out that they won't ever have an upgrade.

Nope, it does. But you sound fine.

I think because it's not meant for any OTHER purpose, just for the Apple Remote. For instance, no IrDA file transfers, presumably.

The new iPod universal dock has a round IR receiver on the front, while the iMac has its receiver in the Apple logo, someone said.

Couldn't they just as easily say, "yes, but you'll need to convert them into an iPod-compatible format, which requires additional software"?
Addition: "...just like doing ANYTHING safely with a Windows computer requires." ;)

iMeowbot
Oct 13, 2005, 09:47 AM
Except some enterprising hack could disable this LED and it'd be like HAL all over again :eek:
Apple did at least make that possibility difficult. The light is hard wired and would have to be replaced by a suitable dummy for the camera to keep working. With that much hassle, it would be easier for the Illuminati spies to put a separate camera somewhere.

iMeowbot
Oct 13, 2005, 09:53 AM
I *think* that the new universal dock has built in IR.
Yes.
So I think you have to buy the remote and the dock..and then connect the dock to your mac and maybe it'll work? I'm not sure..but maybe ..
The new iMac comes with the remote but not the dock. It's built into the main cabinet.

Qunchuy
Oct 14, 2005, 10:53 AM
All FAQs sound condescending. It's in their nature.