Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
While I was waiting at a restraunt yesterday, I noticed one kid playing with a Nintendo DS, and 2 others with iPod touches. I've wondered for a while why Apple doesn't advertise these devices as gaming systems. iOS has a tremendous library of games, many of them high quality, serious titles, and a ton of casual games that would appeal to kids. Even though I'm also a Nintendo fan, the 3DS seems to only have a couple of good, original games, and those are of course first party titles. I would argue that iOS might offer a better value for most kids.

And yet Apple's advertising still focuses mainly on music. I realize that that's what iPods are mainly known for, but these devices are so much more! IIRC, they actually did run a commercial along these lines back around 2010. Ironically, the iPod touch really didn't have the gaming capabilities it does now back then.

Anyone else think Apple should maybe beef up the specs in the next generation and try selling it as a gaming device, mainly aimed at kids? Seems like a great market to conquer, since those kids then go on to demand iPads, iPhones, and Macs :p

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
They did at one point but i agree sice the new iPod ad came out, its just about music.... iPod touch is so much more! So is the ipad but all they show are some photos and a piano... Come on!

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
While I was waiting at a restraunt yesterday, I noticed one kid playing with a Nintendo DS, and 2 others with iPod touches. I've wondered for a while why Apple doesn't advertise these devices as gaming systems. iOS has a tremendous library of games, many of them high quality, serious titles, and a ton of casual games that would appeal to kids. Even though I'm also a Nintendo fan, the 3DS seems to only have a couple of good, original games, and those are of course first party titles. I would argue that iOS might offer a better value for most kids.

And yet Apple's advertising still focuses mainly on music. I realize that that's what iPods are mainly known for, but these devices are so much more! IIRC, they actually did run a commercial along these lines back around 2010. Ironically, the iPod touch really didn't have the gaming capabilities it does now back then.

Anyone else think Apple should maybe beef up the specs in the next generation and try selling it as a gaming device, mainly aimed at kids? Seems like a great market to conquer, since those kids then go on to demand iPads, iPhones, and Macs :p

You know, beefing up the specs wouldn't be necessary, as the hardware inside it pushes more polys than the XBox 360! But, Apple does a piss-poor job getting that word out. I personally find the screen of it quite small for high-quality action gaming (Infinity Blade, NOVA, Dead Rising, Rage HD), because your fingers block the view of the gorgeousness! If EVER there was a case to be made for an Apple iDevice somewhere between the 4" size of the 5th gen iPod Touch and the 7.8" of the iPad Mini, it's a portable gaming device similar in screen dimensions to the Sony PS Vita's 5" OLED display.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
They do, and they are proud of it.

During the keynote, they have reiterated that the iPod Touch is the #1 mobile gaming device in the world for several years now, out-selling Nintendo and Sony combined (that's what they say...).

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
They do, and they are proud of it.

During the keynote, they have reiterated that the iPod Touch is the #1 mobile gaming device in the world for several years now, out-selling Nintendo and Sony combined (that's what they say...).

But who sees keynotes but us?

I think the OP means traditional print and TV advertising.

Last edited:

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
But who sees keynotes but us?

I think the OP means traditional print and TV advertising.

Yep. I'm sure that some people already buy them as gaming devices, but when someone goes out to actually buy a dedicated gaming device, is an iPod touch even in their mind? Generally, probably not, and I wish Apple would try and change that.

hoodedwarbler12

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
Tennessee
Here are some quotes from the Apple website. You'll notice that in most of the lists of different features, games are almost always first.

"Engineered for maximum funness."

"Play music and more on iPod."

"When it’s game time, your fingers will have more room to rule."

"And, of course, there are endless games to play and endless music to listen to."

"It still does all the gaming, surfing, messaging, and everything else you love, more powerfully than ever."

"Your hairpin car-racing turns, your dance party playlist, your favorite celeb gossip site — everything is sharp, vivid, and lifelike."

"So games are incredibly responsive and realistic. Your samurai swordplay is sharper than ever, your zombie-dodging ultrasmooth."

"So you can keep on swinging, slicing, and racing."

"Every iPod is all about music. But iPod touch is about music and then some."

"Games and apps. Get ready for the big game."

"Fast dual-core performance and sharp graphics make iPod touch the hands-down, thumbs-up, most popular portable gaming device in the world. "

"It does more than ever, more powerfully than ever, from playing games to playing music to just playing around."

"So less gets between you and your games, music, messages — whatever you love to see and do."

"Get your game face on."

"No wonder iPod touch is the world’s most popular portable game player."

"The most games. The best games. It’s a win-win."

And that's not including all the stuff about Game Center. iPod touch isn't advertised a a gaming device, you say? Hmm. ;)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
While they do still advertise it as a gaming device, they've pulled back a bit since the 4th gen - That was really pushed as a gaming device on Apple's website.

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Just adding my 2 cents.

I believe Apple doesn't push the iPod touch as a gaming device that much because of its other iOS devices - the iPhone and the iPad (which is basically an overgrown iPod touch).

If Apple starts to push really hard the idea that the iPod Touch is a gaming devices, people will start associating it with other portable gaming systems (PSP, Nintendo 3DS, etc.). While this sounds nice, it could backfire against Apple's other iOS devices, as which are more "professional" than "fun".

Think of it this way: if you owned a company and wanted to give a phone to increase your worker's productivity, would you even consider a PSP phone? Maybe a Nintendo 3DS phone for videochatting? I guess not, as they are regarded as toys, and would likely decrease their worker's productivity instead.

In the same way, people could reconsider buying an iPad for replacing their computers for considering them as a big toy instead as a portable computer.

I think the discrete but constant marketing Apple does about the iPod Toutch's gaming capabilities is just right, enough to attract whoever is interested in knowing more about it but not enough to label all its products as toys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.