PDA

View Full Version : Returning my dual 867 [awww]

pnz999
Dec 9, 2002, 11:38 AM
I had been using the dual 867 for a week now! I am enjoying the whole OS X.2 thing.. but I hate that everything needs to be in the Library..like in iPhoto, iTunes to see my files *.jpg/*.mp3? any suggestions?

Anyways, like I have said I like the dual 867 [stock config.] perfromance... but I want to return it tommorow, for a portable laptop. Well, I am worried about the G3 performance? and worried about the slow performance? without the altivec. Do you think I wil be seeing alot of "beachballs" on the G3 800 Mhz iBook with 640 MB PC 133 CL 3 [from crucial]

Apps I willing be using are dreamweaver/flash mx, photoshop 7, some illustrator 10, iApps like iCal, iPhoto, iTunes, and some video editing FCP.

BTW, I cant afford a Ti PB, so its either a G3 800 or buy a 1.8 P4-M from Dell [i4150] now, and upgrade later for a G4 iBook

idkew
Dec 9, 2002, 11:56 AM
fcp, your macromedia and adobe apps are mostly the only ones which would benefit from a g4. but nowadays, most apple stuff is altivec optimized. go with the ibook. i have expierence using a 500mhz ibook, and those extra 300mhZ and better graphics cards will make it a speedy machine.

after all, i do heavy graphics work on my 667 tibook with a 16mb video card. the ibook has 133mhz on it (which might just make up for its lack in altivec) and a 32mb video card, which would kick ass compared to a 16mb version.

go for it, you will not be disappointed.

Bradcoe
Dec 9, 2002, 12:00 PM
A G3 running at 800MHz with 512k L2 a 100MHz bus is FINE. The only reason iBooks ever sucked was because Apple crippled the bus at 66MHz with the 500MHz models. Lucky me got stuck with them. A friend has a 600MHz iBook and it flies compared to mine. Everything else on it is the same except the bus and processor speed (It's probably the same processor but when you up the bus the CPU increases its clock rating due to the constant multiplier). Definately get PC133 (its more stable so you have better results in overclocking the iBook to 900MHz or something via Open Firmware).