PDA

View Full Version : China to Hit 246 Million iOS and Android Devices in February, Becoming World's Largest Market

MacRumors
Feb 18, 2013, 12:30 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/18/china-to-hit-246-million-ios-and-android-devices-in-february-becoming-worlds-largest-market/)

According to a new report from Flurry (http://blog.flurry.com/bid/94352/China-Knocks-Off-U-S-to-Become-Top-Smartphone-Tablet-Market), China is now the world's largest smart device market, passing the United States just after the Chinese New Year. The country has the most active Android and iOS smartphones and tablets.

China began catching up to the U.S. late last year and as of January 2013, the two countries had approximately the same smart device user base, with 222 million in the United States and 221 million in China.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/02/smartdeviceschinaus.png
Based on the number of devices per country in the first half of February and growth trends, Flurry predicts that by the end of February 2013, China will outpace the U.S. by a wider margin with 246 million devices compared to 230 million in the United States. China is expected to retain that lead due to population numbers.

The U.S. and China have a huge number of active smart devices compared to other countries, with almost five times more devices than the U.K, which represents the third largest smart device market. As of January 2013, the U.K. had 43 million smart devices. South Korea and Japan are the fourth and fifth largest markets, with 30 and 29 million respectively.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/02/activedevicespercountry.png
China in particular has experienced rapid growth, adding 150 million devices during the course of 2012, compared to 55 million new devices in the U.S.

During Apple's quarterly results call (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/23/apple-sees-highest-growth-in-china-revenue-up-67/) this January, the company reported a 67 percent increase in revenue in China, amounting to $6.8 billion during the first fiscal quarter of 2013.

China has become an increasingly important market for Apple, as its second largest region. CEO Tim Cook spent part of January in the country, where he emphasized Apple's plans to expand in the country (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/10/tim-cook-meets-with-china-mobile-to-discuss-cooperation-shares-thoughts-on-chinese-markets/).

Article Link: China to Hit 246 Million iOS and Android Devices in February, Becoming World's Largest Market (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/18/china-to-hit-246-million-ios-and-android-devices-in-february-becoming-worlds-largest-market/)

paul4339
Feb 18, 2013, 12:33 PM
I wonder how many of those 221 Million are iOS ...

iheartiphone4
Feb 18, 2013, 12:41 PM
Here comes China!:eek:

STiNG Operation
Feb 18, 2013, 12:45 PM
That's impressive. I would also like to know the split of each device.

rikscha
Feb 18, 2013, 12:59 PM
I'm adding 3 iPhones + iPad in the UK. I'm making my contribution. Where are the people without one? Shame on you.

Edit: Apple TV ?

Tankmaze
Feb 18, 2013, 01:07 PM
China is a big market, very big. No wonder apple put an effort in ios personalization for the chinese market.

Carnag3
Feb 18, 2013, 01:07 PM
Really? The world biggest developed country is the worlds biggest market? How?

Dr McKay
Feb 18, 2013, 01:11 PM

It's one of those statistics that catch people by surprise, like when you point out that more people in the World speak Chinese than English.

phillipduran
Feb 18, 2013, 01:13 PM
This world is going more and more in the direction of Firefly.

Dong ma?

ArtOfWarfare
Feb 18, 2013, 01:16 PM
Of course! All the companies have seen this coming for a long time, that's why they've all been manufacturing their devices in China for so long! They're all prepared for China being the largest market and so minimize cost by having to ship to dinky markets like the US rather than huge markets like China.

MWPULSE
Feb 18, 2013, 01:22 PM
What this doesn't seem to tell us, is the percentage ratio of person to smart device. According to wiki, the uk has about 63m, n the us is about ~315.. That would make both percentages of those countries at about 60-70% right? China, that's 25% lol...

denilol
Feb 18, 2013, 01:29 PM
What accounts for the temporary dips in the US chart?

ProwlingTiger
Feb 18, 2013, 01:39 PM
Why the hell someone does a survey like this and not separate them into Android and iOS is beyond me.

paul4339
Feb 18, 2013, 02:10 PM
Why the hell someone does a survey like this and not separate them into Android and iOS is beyond me.

the goal of the report was to highlight the growing Chinese mobile computing market and how it's overtaken the US. I think it wasn't really intended to an iOS vs Android report.

devianter
Feb 18, 2013, 02:11 PM
It's one of those statistics that catch people by surprise, like when you point out that more people in the World speak Chinese than English.

not true.

Squilly
Feb 18, 2013, 02:14 PM
Makes sense. 1.2 billion population vs 350 million population. They were bound to catch up.

paul4339
Feb 18, 2013, 02:25 PM
What accounts for the temporary dips in the US chart?

do you see temporary dips or temporary peaks?
If it's peaks, it can possibly be the iphone 5 in late 2012, the middle peak can possibly be the release of 4S & holiday season -- the following mini hump, around march 2012 is probably iPad 3 US release.
The first one is a slower ramp up, can possibly be the ipad 2 (or maybe combined with the Galaxy S2).

sputnikv
Feb 18, 2013, 02:33 PM
while i don't have anything against them tapping the china market, as they should, it was somewhat of a downer when one of the few main things featured for ios6 were"new features for china"

dampfnudel
Feb 18, 2013, 02:46 PM
I'm adding 3 iPhones + iPad in the UK. I'm making my contribution. Where are the people without one? Shame on you.

Edit: Apple TV ?

It seems a lot of Europeans are still satisfied with their Nokia dumb phones or can't afford smartphones (over 50, immigrants, etc.). Here in the US, a lot of people have upgraded to a smartphone, including many over the age of 50.

Edit: Forgot, this applies to iOS.

denilol
Feb 18, 2013, 02:55 PM
do u see temporary dips or temporary peaks?
If it's peaks, it can possibly be the iphone 5 in late 2012, the middle peak can possibly be the release of 4S & holiday season -- the following mini hump, around march 2012 is probably iPad 3 US release.
The first one is a slower ramp up, can possibly be the ipad 2 (or maybe combined with the Galaxy S2).

But it is a graph of total number of devices. Those new device peaks should be accelerations, not rises then dips.

Unless people are buying tablets and not using them. I can't really see people not using phones. Still the dip in 2011 is in the tens of millions, too large to make sense.

Munas
Feb 18, 2013, 03:00 PM
It is easy to hit by numbers when a country has over the billion inhabitants. However, if to look to the Mobile-cellular subscriptions per 100 inhabitants, one may see that China as well as US are far from the top in the list with 92.72 subscriptions per 100 in US and 73.19 in China (these are statistics for 2011, but I doubt something changed in these countries dramatically).
i.e. in Russia 179,31 mob subscription per 100 inhabitants. Even the small European country Lithuania has 151.3 cell subscriptions per 100 inhabitants, or 130.75 in UK.
So, instead of being the largest, greatest or ...est in any other way in the World, US and China would better try to tune its economies the way, that every one would be able to buy at least one phone.

redhawk87
Feb 18, 2013, 03:09 PM
For those NC people out there, this is like when an independent group reported Wake county (raleigh) to have a higher population than Mecklenburg county (Charlotte). Although both counties are growing rapidly, Wake county is larger in land area and thus has more room to expand. People in Charlotte do not want to accept the fact that they may not be the economic powerhouse of NC. Oh so much symbolism for such a random comment lol.

mrsir2009
Feb 18, 2013, 04:24 PM

Yeah! Isnít the USA the centre of the universe?

iSayuSay
Feb 18, 2013, 04:43 PM
Yeah! Isnít the USA the centre of the universe?

I think he was simply being sarcastic of how come the world's biggest country become the world's largest market cannot be more OBVIOUS :o

AnorexicPig
Feb 18, 2013, 04:58 PM
Soon enough,India will come charging up the charts-thanks to 1.2 billion of us and growing :D :p

GuitarDTO
Feb 18, 2013, 05:30 PM
Soon enough,India will come charging up the charts-thanks to 1.2 billion of us and growing :D :p

I'm in the U.S., but was just going to say this. Emerging markets are where the growth is now. I think this is why you saw Blackberry launch in UAE and UK first, even though they are offering the excuse of carrier testing requirements in the US as the reason. The US is saturated with competition but it really is fair game across the world to Apple and the rest of the competition. I think the competition in the US will continue to drive technology improvements though which everyone will benefit from.

leon44
Feb 18, 2013, 05:36 PM
It seems a lot of Europeans are still satisfied with their Nokia dumb phones or can't afford smartphones (over 50, immigrants, etc.). Here in the US, a lot of people have upgraded to a smartphone, including many over the age of 50.

Edit: Forgot, this applies to iOS.

Well you say that but 43m in the UK is actually one for about 72% of people, 220m in the USA is 1 for just 70% of people ;)

cosmichobo
Feb 18, 2013, 05:39 PM
Not that it matters, as Australia is a third-world-Apple country, barely allowed to even continue to buy Apple products for daring to question Apple over their prices... But Australia has 14-19% more smart phones per capita than the US, and at least 23% p/c more than China.

Of course, that's only around 4 - 5 million iPhones...

AmpSkillz
Feb 18, 2013, 06:49 PM
not true.

what is not true?

AnorexicPig
Feb 18, 2013, 07:00 PM
I'm in the U.S., but was just going to say this. Emerging markets are where the growth is now. I think this is why you saw Blackberry launch in UAE and UK first, even though they are offering the excuse of carrier testing requirements in the US as the reason. The US is saturated with competition but it really is fair game across the world to Apple and the rest of the competition. I think the competition in the US will continue to drive technology improvements though which everyone will benefit from.

The main thing is population in emerging markets is huge,India itself has 4 times as many people as US,so even if 25% people own smartphones,it will be more than US population,vast markets !

And US itself is an exception when it comes to population in developed world,other countries don't even come fractionally close (not that am proud of our population back home :p).

b0fh
Feb 18, 2013, 07:27 PM
not true.

And you base your claim on...? :confused:

dpinchot
Feb 18, 2013, 08:32 PM
Another suspect posting from Flurry that is getting mass posted around the world. Take a close look at the data. Does it make any sense? How could iOS and Android loss users for three months in 2011 and remain flat for three quarters in 2012? Flurry has a long history of questionable data, but the tech blogs seem hell bent in reposting without fact checking.

tech4all
Feb 18, 2013, 08:45 PM
not true.

Nope, you're wrong.

:rolleyes:

dpinchot
Feb 18, 2013, 08:55 PM
do you see temporary dips or temporary peaks?

. But, if this is a graph of active users, how could they go down, even after a major release? That would mean a massive amount of people just stop using their phones and tablets. Very unlikely. The data looks highly suspect to me. There is no way that 2011 and early 2012 were that flat.

mrsir2009
Feb 18, 2013, 08:59 PM
I think he was simply being sarcastic of how come the world's biggest country become the world's largest market cannot be more OBVIOUS :o

Yeah I know, haha.

coolspot18
Feb 18, 2013, 10:34 PM

China was a major civilization if not world power for over 2000 years until the late 1700s; the country has only been in decline for ~300 years, with most of its major defeats in the mid-1800s; a short time in history.

It's not all that surprising China would ascend again; what comes around goes around.

Not necessarily, look at India, it is poised to be larger than China, but several factors have been impeding its economy: casted based system, corruption, poor infrastructure, education, poverty, etc. China is by no means perfect, but at least it has its economic house and government policies somewhat in order.

----------

In Europe, there are restrictions on phone subsidizations... therefore it is cost prohibitive to buy a smartphone outright. In the US, everyone buys on credit - and in this case, a long term, locked in cell contract.

----------

I'm in the U.S., but was just going to say this. Emerging markets are where the growth is now. I think this is why you saw Blackberry launch in UAE and UK first

Tee hee hee, the UK is now an emerging market! :D

----------

not true.

It's true - sorry to burst your bubble but in the grand scheme of things, there are actually quite few English speakers. They just happen to be clustered in some of the wealthiest nations and English is the de facto language of business (but that may change in the future... who knows):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

Take a look at Wikipedia, the numbers may shock you.

dpinchot
Feb 18, 2013, 11:06 PM
China was a major civilization if not world power for over 2000 years until the late 1700s; the country has only been in decline for ~300 years, with most of its major defeats in the mid-1800s; a short time in history.

It's not all that surprising China would ascend again; what comes around goes around.

Not necessarily, look at India, it is poised to be larger than China, but several factors have been impeding its economy: casted based system, corruption, poor infrastructure, education, poverty, etc. China is by no means perfect, but at least it has its economic house and government policies somewhat in order.

----------

In Europe, there are restrictions on phone subsidizations... therefore it is cost prohibitive to buy a smartphone outright. In the US, everyone buys on credit - and in this case, a long term, locked in cell contract.

----------

----------

It's true - sorry to burst your bubble but in the grand scheme of things, there are actually quite few English speakers. They just happen to be clustered in some of the wealthiest nations and English is the de facto language of business (but that may change in the future... who knows):

I guess Europe knows what's best for their people, clamping down on those silly phone subsidies. I love to have my nanny tell me what to do.

coolspot18
Feb 18, 2013, 11:59 PM
I guess Europe knows what's best for their people, clamping down on those silly phone subsidies. I love to have my nanny tell me what to do.

... Better than how it's now illegal to unlock a phone in the US, whereas in Canada (soon to be) and Europe there are provisions for unlocking?

92jlee
Feb 19, 2013, 12:53 AM
So much hate between Americans and Europeans. Don't you guys see that its the Chinese and Indians we should be concerned about? Look how many there are, they will take us over soon especially with the USA's debt to China. They own you and they are in the process of taking us over too.
But then again this is an apple forum so you people only care if apple gets money and market share.

Sedulous
Feb 19, 2013, 01:47 AM
So much hate between Americans and Europeans. Don't you guys see that its the Chinese and Indians we should be concerned about? Look how many there are, they will take us over soon especially with the USA's debt to China. They own you and they are in the process of taking us over too.
But then again this is an apple forum so you people only care if apple gets money and market share.

Actually, the robots will "win" in the end.

China still owns less sovereign US debt than Japan. And, more significantly, the largest owner of sovereign US debt are US citizens (by a very large margin).

India and China both have major issues to overcome. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Not sure where you are getting a sense of "hate" between the US and Europe.

leon44
Feb 19, 2013, 02:24 AM

It's nice to have your government on your side actually, looking after you if you're sick, it's nice to be able to trust policemen and go to school without fear of being shot in the face

dpinchot
Feb 19, 2013, 06:20 AM
... Better than how it's now illegal to unlock a phone in the US, whereas in Canada (soon to be) and Europe there are provisions for unlocking?

I like the ability to make the decision myself to enter into a contract or not. My choice, not the governments. That's called freedom.

----------

It's nice to have your government on your side actually, looking after you if you're sick, it's nice to be able to trust policemen and go to school without fear of being shot in the face

We all want that. But I don't know what that has to do with ones ability to make a choice to enter into a contract with a carrier or not.

M-O
Feb 19, 2013, 06:37 AM
i wonder how many of those 221 million are ios ...

~15%

devianter
Feb 19, 2013, 07:17 AM

----------

----------

----------

We weren't talking about native speakers. We were talking about speakers in general. There are so MUCH MORE people who speak English.. You wouldn't believe if i told you.

coolspot18
Feb 19, 2013, 08:04 AM
China still owns less sovereign US debt than Japan. And, more significantly, the largest owner of sovereign US debt are US citizens (by a very large margin).

Your facts are a bit sketchy. China and Japan both hold about 1 trillion in US debt, but it is acknowledged widely that China is the largest foreign holder of US debt.

Foreigners hold 47% of US debt while Americans hold 53%. Not such a wide margin - 6% in the grand scheme of things isn't much.

----------

We weren't talking about native speakers. We were talking about speakers in general. There are so MUCH MORE people who speak English.. You wouldn't believe if i told you.

I'm still correct where I stand; it is estimated that there are only 500 - 600 million fluent English speakers. If you throw in anyone with a grasp of English, it is <1 billion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population

There are over 1.2 billion Chinese in China that speak Mandarin... and a hundred or two more million around the world.

So by far, Chinese is still the most spoken language.

You only think that English is popular because it is the de facto language online, in business, and in the media, but in reality there are whole other worlds (Chinese, Spanish, French, etc.) out there.

scottie2345
Feb 19, 2013, 08:45 AM
What i want you to do is look at a globe see how big the US is and then China, then go find the UK, yup its that tiny little island, I would not call us a developing nation :-) we are waiting for you boys to catch up :):):)

Scottie

devianter
Feb 19, 2013, 08:46 AM
Your facts are a bit sketchy. China and Japan both hold about 1 trillion in US debt, but it is acknowledged widely that China is the largest foreign holder of US debt.

Foreigners hold 47% of US debt while Americans hold 53%. Not such a wide margin - 6% in the grand scheme of things isn't much.

----------

I'm still correct where I stand; it is estimated that there are only 500 - 600 million fluent English speakers. If you throw in anyone with a grasp of English, it is <1 billion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population

There are over 1.2 billion Chinese in China that speak Mandarin... and a hundred or two more million around the world.

So by far, Chinese is still the most spoken language.

You only think that English is popular because it is the de facto language online, in business, and in the media, but in reality there are whole other worlds (Chinese, Spanish, French, etc.) out there.

don't link me to wikipedia, naive guy. http://d.pr/i/KEyR get your facts straight. come back when it's 2050 and maybe i'll say "you're right". oh, and yes, business , INTERNET (HUGE) and media COUNT.

HarmoBoy
Feb 19, 2013, 09:19 AM
not true.

It is true. Mandarin is the most spoken language in the world

coolspot18
Feb 19, 2013, 09:40 AM
don't link me to wikipedia, naive guy. http://d.pr/i/KEyR get your facts straight. come back when it's 2050 and maybe i'll say "you're right". oh, and yes, business , INTERNET (HUGE) and media COUNT.

Your own link proves that I was correct... There are already more Chinese than English speakers in the world... And by 2050 there will be even more.

And that slide is a joke... 2011 - 1 billion broken english speakers. 2015 - 3 billion. Yes, in the span of 4 years 2 billion people will learn English - I think not.

Thank you??? :confused:

faizanshakyboy
Feb 19, 2013, 11:48 AM
impressive stats :cool:

Sedulous
Feb 19, 2013, 11:58 AM

Not sure how my facts are sketchy. The governments of China and Japan may each hold around 1 T each but Japan as a whole holds more US debt. Again, US citizens are by far the majority holder of US debt. Closest is Japan who holds around 13% of that debt.

Anyways, back on topic. China's population is actually going to decrease significantly because the 1 child policy. They will have a large elderly population, many of whom do not have retirement savings of any kind and likely will depend on their child for support. This will cut deeply into China's appeal as a rich target market. Furthermore, with fewer workers, labor costs will go up just when companies are realizing it may be cheaper to on-shore jobs back to the US.

coolspot18
Feb 19, 2013, 12:47 PM
Not sure how my facts are sketchy. The governments of China and Japan may each hold around 1 T each but Japan as a whole holds more US debt. Again, US citizens are by far the majority holder of US debt. Closest is Japan who holds around 13% of that debt.

Straight from the Treasury:

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/data-chart-center/tic/Documents/mfh.txt

Look at who is at the top?

Sedulous
Feb 19, 2013, 01:08 PM
Straight from the Treasury:

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/data-chart-center/tic/Documents/mfh.txt

Look at who is at the top?

These are governments and does not include privately held debts.

devianter
Feb 19, 2013, 06:22 PM
Your own link proves that I was correct... There are already more Chinese than English speakers in the world... And by 2050 there will be even more.

And that slide is a joke... 2011 - 1 billion broken english speakers. 2015 - 3 billion. Yes, in the span of 4 years 2 billion people will learn English - I think not.

Thank you??? :confused:

This is actually a research done by a university. Not the slide, the info it contains. Wikipedia has zero credibility for me. Also, WHERE do you exactly see 1 billion? It says TWO. Open your eyes. In the span of 4 years one billion will learn English on SOME level, we're not talking about native speakers or very competent speakers. English is taught literally EVERYWHERE, why does that come to you as a surprise? Think about how many indians will speak English 4 years from now. Imagine how many chinese will. Impressive. Chinese will never be an international language. It's too difficult. English (spanish could be too) is a perfect example of a reasonable choice for the international language since esperanto failed its expectations. Life is more and more digital nowadays. English is there too. Internet, like you said. Business, media. Think about television (sports fans (nba, nfl, nhl) movies, tv shows. What about traveling? English is a MUST today.

HarmoBoy
Feb 19, 2013, 07:15 PM
This is actually a research done by a university. Not the slide, the info it contains. Wikipedia has zero credibility for me. Also, WHERE do you exactly see 1 billion? It says TWO. Open your eyes. In the span of 4 years one billion will learn English on SOME level, we're not talking about native speakers or very competent speakers. English is taught literally EVERYWHERE, why does that come to you as a surprise? Think about how many indians will speak English 4 years from now. Imagine how many chinese will. Impressive. Chinese will never be an international language. It's too difficult. English (spanish could be too) is a perfect example of a reasonable choice for the international language since esperanto failed its expectations. Life is more and more digital nowadays. English is there too. Internet, like you said. Business, media. Think about television (sports fans (nba, nfl, nhl) movies, tv shows. What about traveling? English is a MUST today.

As a Chinese I don't agree (at least not fully agree) with you said.
Firstly, India has 2 official languages: Hindi / English but China has only one, which is Mandarin.

In China, it is a respect to this country / culture that you should speak Mandarin as much as possible (I think it also works for Japanese) so you won't see two Chinese talking to each other in English even they are actually capable of. But in South Asia, I noticed in countries like Singapore or India, people speak English as much as they can in working environment and considered it as "professional". There is a culture difference. I'm not sure whether you know any Chinese in your country but if you know probably you'll noticed that most Chinese parents will force their children to learn / write Chinese and ask them to speak in Chinese at least in home even everyone in the family can actually speak in English ... it is all culture difference buddy.

Back to the topic, i don't surprise at all to see that China is becoming the biggest market to use iOS. One of the reasons is that people (esp old people) don't use computer a lot because its really hard / painful for them to type Chinese characters. You'll have to learn how to use English alphabet to present the pronunciation of Chinese characters, and then you will be able to type Chinese characters. But with an iPad... boom... you will be able to write directly on the screen, and for those who haven't used computer to check out internet it becomes so easy with ipad as what yo u need to do is just tap here and there, enlarge it if you are old and cannot see the word / picture clearly.

I'm not very weathly but I bought iPads for my mother, my father / mother in law, and they just love it so much. After my uncle see my iPad he bought one for himself... and then some of them start to use iPhone and un-surprisingly they finally learned how to send SMS. Apple really changed their life...

dampfnudel
Feb 19, 2013, 10:40 PM
Well you say that but 43m in the UK is actually one for about 72% of people, 220m in the USA is 1 for just 70% of people ;)

Opened my mouth too soon again.:o:D

coolspot18
Feb 19, 2013, 11:30 PM
This is actually a research done by a university. Not the slide, the info it contains

Which university? Looks like you whipped up the slide yourself. At least on Wikipedia there are some citations. And you're quite naive to believe 1 billion people will learn English to have a basic understand in 4 years ... that's a very tall order.

Chinese will never be an international language. It's too difficult. English (spanish could be too) is a perfect example of a reasonable choice for the international language since esperanto failed its expectations. Life is more and more digital nowadays. English is there too. Internet, like you said. Business, media. Think about television (sports fans (nba, nfl, nhl) movies, tv shows. What about traveling? English is a MUST today.

French was the lingua franca up until World War II... in a span of 80 years it was replaced with English.

But maybe in another 80s years we won't need to know any other languages... because we'll have a universal translator in our pockets :D

devianter
Feb 21, 2013, 05:28 PM
As a Chinese I don't agree (at least not fully agree) with you said.
Firstly, India has 2 official languages: Hindi / English but China has only one, which is Mandarin.

In China, it is a respect to this country / culture that you should speak Mandarin as much as possible (I think it also works for Japanese) so you won't see two Chinese talking to each other in English even they are actually capable of. But in South Asia, I noticed in countries like Singapore or India, people speak English as much as they can in working environment and considered it as "professional". There is a culture difference. I'm not sure whether you know any Chinese in your country but if you know probably you'll noticed that most Chinese parents will force their children to learn / write Chinese and ask them to speak in Chinese at least in home even everyone in the family can actually speak in English ... it is all culture difference buddy.

Back to the topic, i don't surprise at all to see that China is becoming the biggest market to use iOS. One of the reasons is that people (esp old people) don't use computer a lot because its really hard / painful for them to type Chinese characters. You'll have to learn how to use English alphabet to present the pronunciation of Chinese characters, and then you will be able to type Chinese characters. But with an iPad... boom... you will be able to write directly on the screen, and for those who haven't used computer to check out internet it becomes so easy with ipad as what yo u need to do is just tap here and there, enlarge it if you are old and cannot see the word / picture clearly.

I'm not very weathly but I bought iPads for my mother, my father / mother in law, and they just love it so much. After my uncle see my iPad he bought one for himself... and then some of them start to use iPhone and un-surprisingly they finally learned how to send SMS. Apple really changed their life...

i play basketball with some chinese friends. i know what you mean. you didn't get me. i'm saying people learn and "know" english, not use it instead of their mother tongue. i'm talking about L2 and how it's easier to live when you know english. i'm from italy though. apple stuff is awesome, agree.

----------

Which university? Looks like you whipped up the slide yourself. At least on Wikipedia there are some citations. And you're quite naive to believe 1 billion people will learn English to have a basic understand in 4 years ... that's a very tall order.

French was the lingua franca up until World War II... in a span of 80 years it was replaced with English.

But maybe in another 80s years we won't need to know any other languages... because we'll have a universal translator in our pockets :D

i'm sorry but i have nothing more to say to you. you bring nothing new to the discussion and just trying to diminish what i'm saying. that's not how it works. if you noticed, i'm not talking about what i believe. i give you facts. actual work, research and studies done by a university of verona in collaboration with british council. if that's not enough i'm sorry. have a good day.

ProwlingTiger
Feb 22, 2013, 12:30 AM
the goal of the report was to highlight the growing Chinese mobile computing market and how it's overtaken the US. I think it wasn't really intended to an iOS vs Android report.

Still, go the extra mile.

cosmichobo
Feb 22, 2013, 10:48 PM

Was always under the impression that if Japan or China had major internal issues and needed to call in their US-based debts, that the US would be wiped out...

13%... Well, that's not much... only around $2,211,765,200,952. I'm sure the US could come up with that kind of money when the next big quake wipes Japan out...

Vicky Lin
May 24, 2013, 02:55 AM
yes, really. Chinese people are smart enough t build many excellent android tabet brand. Ainol, Newsmy, and so on. http://www.newsmyglobal.com/

bukowski on ice
May 24, 2013, 01:09 PM
I wonder if Apple and Android will put more focus into their international campaigns now. Or maybe they already have. Anyone know for sure?