Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnsalz91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Hello,

My name is Miriam. I'm new. I'm working to create a text editor for a very specific niche in the theatre world. I also decided it would be a good idea to tackle objective-c cocoa at the same time. I having trouble finding up to date information (tutorials mainly) on how to save and load a file. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Miriam

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hello,

My name is Miriam. I'm new. I'm working to create a text editor for a very specific niche in the theatre world. I also decided it would be a good idea to tackle objective-c cocoa at the same time. I having trouble finding up to date information (tutorials mainly) on how to save and load a file. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Depends very much on what kind of file you want to load or save.

mnsalz91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
In the end I need to be able to save and load a file that has rich text (MS Word .doc importable) and custom view text boxes in different shapes. This will also include access to arrays of the saved shapes. Right now I'm getting stuck with the basics of implementing the methods but that's the gist of what the whole file will do.

Thanks!
Miriam

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In the end I need to be able to save and load a file that has rich text (MS Word .doc importable) and custom view text boxes in different shapes. This will also include access to arrays of the saved shapes. Right now I'm getting stuck with the basics of implementing the methods but that's the gist of what the whole file will do.

Thanks!
Miriam

You can download the complete source code for TextEdit from Apple and go from there. Download it, open the project in Xcode, press Command-R to run it. To find it, enter "TextEdit source code" into Google.

mnsalz91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
You can download the complete source code for TextEdit from Apple and go from there. Download it, open the project in Xcode, press Command-R to run it. To find it, enter "TextEdit source code" into Google.

When I ran it there was an error with the (syntax paraphrasing) import AppKit/NSApplication I believe in the main. So I couldn't run it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.