PDA

View Full Version : Not the first but not the last I'm positive...spilled coffee on MBA

clangec
Feb 19, 2013, 09:36 AM
but I spilled a cup of coffee (black) on the keyboard of my Air this morning. Did the whole dry it fast, shut it down, etc. It's upside down in the refrigerator right now. My question and I couldn't find anyone that tried it and maybe there is a reason that I'm not smart enough to know.

What would happen if I placed some paper towels across the keyboards and then put the Air inside a foodsaver bag and vac sealed it? Maybe wrap towels or rice around the outside. If its upside down the the largest air vents are around the keys wouldn't it pull all the coffee out of there.

Just wanted to know where my thinking might be off?

On the plus side, it was purchased with an Amex card within 90 days. So I'm off the apple tomorrow to get an est./not fixable for their paperwork. If I get out of this mess losing $178, I'll be happy!

BeeJee
Feb 19, 2013, 10:03 AM
I would opt for a replacement. Too much risk of things breaking down the road.

daonesteven
Feb 19, 2013, 10:13 AM
get the amex replacement

i spilled milk all over my keyboard and had my computer auto shut off 2 months after purchase. Got my $800 bill comped

clangec
Feb 19, 2013, 10:17 AM
So I just to make sure Apple says it's not repairable. If they give me the 'Not repairable' stamp tomorrow, I might give the Food Saver Vac a go and see what happens.

wolfpuppies3
Feb 19, 2013, 12:19 PM
Get the free replacement and pay another $7 for a keyboard protector. I have them on all three of my Macs.

KPOM
Feb 19, 2013, 03:28 PM
So I just to make sure Apple says it's not repairable. If they give me the 'Not repairable' stamp tomorrow, I might give the Food Saver Vac a go and see what happens.

Get the free replacement and pay another $7 for a keyboard protector. I have them on all three of my Macs.

Also consider a personal articles policy from your homeowner's/renter's insurer. I have one and it covers accidental damage, theft, loss, and mechanical failure. Mine is $60/year but that's high because it's New York. It is lower in other states.

Chris.L
Feb 20, 2013, 04:57 PM
but I spilled a cup of coffee (black) on the keyboard of my Air this morning. Did the whole dry it fast, shut it down, etc. It's upside down in the refrigerator right now. My question and I couldn't find anyone that tried it and maybe there is a reason that I'm not smart enough to know.

What would happen if I placed some paper towels across the keyboards and then put the Air inside a foodsaver bag and vac sealed it? Maybe wrap towels or rice around the outside. If its upside down the the largest air vents are around the keys wouldn't it pull all the coffee out of there.

Just wanted to know where my thinking might be off?

On the plus side, it was purchased with an Amex card within 90 days. So I'm off the apple tomorrow to get an est./not fixable for their paperwork. If I get out of this mess losing $178, I'll be happy!

Why is it in the fridge?

Pharmscott
Feb 20, 2013, 08:50 PM
Why is it in the fridge?

Best avatar I've seen.