PDA

View Full Version : Handheld Entertainment CEO says he's not impressed with the...

MacBytes
Oct 13, 2005, 08:30 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Handheld Entertainment CEO says he's not impressed with the video iPod. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051013093016)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

gekko513
Oct 13, 2005, 08:49 AM
The ZVUE product is hardly worth a mention. The ZVUE player comes with 128MB MMC storage :confused: What kind of video player is that? It doesn't even seem like you can hook it up to a TV.

nagromme
Oct 13, 2005, 08:53 AM
OK... a company that PLANS to introduce a new line of cheap flash-based WMA players next year is badmouthing Apple because releasing new products is somehow harmful to consumers :rolleyes: Their approach is better... release new products :confused:

"We at HandHeld Entertainment don’t treat our customers with such disregard. That’s why we are introducing a complete ... family of portable video devices at CES this coming January."

Nothing to see here. Useless publicity stunt. (Apparently their product is the size of a deck of cards yet has only 128 MB storage.)

Sharewaredemon
Oct 13, 2005, 09:03 AM
Let's see 128meg with video or 30 gigs with video

99 dollars for 128 megs

300 for 30 gigs

I would say the iPod is a better deal, seeing as if you wanted to get the same amount of storage you would have to buy 234 ZVUEs...

cr2sh
Oct 13, 2005, 09:11 AM
I refute the idea that this device is a video ipod. People keep calling that and getting excited about it.... this is not the "video ipod" we've all been talking about for months.

This is an ipod... a freaking mp3 player.... with video playback enabled.

Jesus:

"Years ago, we knew that people wanted to watch video on handheld devices, and we have been satisfying that demand."

It's an mp3 player, with video enabled. Look at the apple website... the word "video" always comes last... like an after thought. Why would an after though represent a new product? Because its not... its an updated product. An that added function does not change what it is... it doesnt go from and ipod to and ipod video.

dubbz
Oct 13, 2005, 09:12 AM
I would say the iPod is a better deal, seeing as if you wanted to get the same amount of storage you would have to buy 234 ZVUEs...

What do they look like? Maybe if the frame is thin enough, you could put them close enough together that it'd look like a really big screen! Just cut the movie into enough parts and you'll get full resolution video!

Yay!

Or not.

I could potentionally see some other companies making this comment, companies that actually have some decent video players. But this one? Uh, uh.

iMeowbot
Oct 13, 2005, 09:13 AM
Their current product doesn't have any storage, it all runs off flash cards. The cheap LCD panels they used have received plenty of mention too. The current Zvue is primarily sold through Wal-Mart and priced at $99, so it doesn't even seem to be aimed at the same customers.

Lacero
Oct 13, 2005, 09:14 AM
Sounds like sour grapes. You would too if your player looked like this:

https://shop.hheld.com/Secure/images/products/product_2.jpg

and it has to compete against the iPod/iTMS juggernaut.

Steven1621
Oct 13, 2005, 09:22 AM

wow, it isn't often that a piece of electronics make me wince. does apple have a complete monoploy on quality industrial design, or is the rest of the market just that inept?

Stella
Oct 13, 2005, 09:30 AM
They are hardly going to say yes they are impressed when iPod competes against them, are they!!!

I'm not impressed with their products, personally, flash memory?! The base unit may be cheap but high capacity flash memory isn't, adding more to the up front cost.

Additionally, I see that they will not be supporting industry standard MP4 video, either.... only WMV.

This is a product range to forget...

"He says that, at US$99, the current ZVUE is priced at one-third the price of the least expensive video iPod, while the next generation ZVUE (pre-announced on Monday) will be priced at $149, less than half the iPod video player price. Oscodar says that the next generation ZVUE will feature on-board flash memory, a rechargeable lithium-ion battery, and be compatible with Windows Media Video (WMV) and Windows Media Audio (WMA) through the use of Microsoft’s secure Digital Rights Management (DRM) software."

2GMario
Oct 13, 2005, 09:38 AM
its funny how no one has commented on this article inregards to its true downfall

Apple has a easy to use, easy to transfer, system of obtaining video, and in the future hopefully, movies

does the ZVue have this ?

fine, only 5 shows so far, but ABC isnt a small network, NBC and Fox will follow if this works.

i give it a year and il prob sell my tv to put a 30 inch apple cinema on my tv stand with a mac mini proving the on demand content i want.

-Mario

Analog Kid
Oct 13, 2005, 09:47 AM
Doomed.

He could at least go down with a touch more class...

Spock
Oct 13, 2005, 09:51 AM
128mb??? Im not sure that would hold one of my music videos, this is like Palm getting mad at Apple for adding the calender to the iPod. If this company has a good product they won't have to worry about Apple.

iMeowbot
Oct 13, 2005, 09:57 AM
Apple has a easy to use, easy to transfer, system of obtaining video, and in the future hopefully, movies

does the ZVue have this ?
The ease is roughly the same. Both players are limited in the video formats they understand, and both require painful conversions to get anything outside the native formats (and that's going to be a lot of stuff for both) to play.

For Apple, their preferred distribution medium is the Internet. For HHe, they prefer to offer preloaded ROM cards. Whatever, both are silly.

coolfactor
Oct 13, 2005, 11:23 AM
If you look at the "feature list" of their ZVUE device, it includes "complete instructions"!! They don't have a friggen' clue.

http://shop.hheld.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2

And 4 AA batteries? What's up with that? Could you imagine how much garbage that iPods would've generated if they used disposable batteries? Apple has it right. Batteries may not be perfect, but there's always smart ways to implement them.

Keynoteuser
Oct 13, 2005, 12:39 PM
Gone are the days where CEO's said nothing bad about their competition. Instead they'd say things like "Competition is good, this will keep us all innovating." Now we get all kinds of whining like...iPods users are losers, iPods are crap, I'm not impressed, we're going to take them down, etc.

It's just a sad reflection of todays companies and the people who run them.

Maestro64
Oct 13, 2005, 01:06 PM
What you just witness is a CEO who has sold a bunch of investor on the idea they will be first to market and gain market share and then sell the business to the likes of MS or someother company for $100 millions realized their business plan just fell apart.

They might have been first but apple being second with an obviously better product, cheaper, and they want to charge you $.77/meg verse apple at $.01/meg. They are a long way from being cost competitive here.

Also, if you look at the product picture, they photoshop the image into where the display is verse apple showing the actual video image. You have to wonder how good is their video quality, well we kind of know it, it is half the resolution of that of the vPod.

You can imagine the phone calls they got from his investors.

cr2sh
Oct 13, 2005, 02:42 PM
Also, if you look at the product picture, they photoshop the image into where the display is verse apple showing the actual video image. You have to wonder how good is there video quality, well we kind of know it, it have the resolution of that of the vPod.

I've seen the U2 commercial for the new ipod.... where it zooms out and the image turns out to be a video on the ipod screen.

I think it's misleading. That video image is clearly rendered and does not represent the actual video capability of the iipod.

You can see the sweat beading up, dripping of of bono... in large screen brilliant, detail, and color....

What the ipod has is a 320x240 screen. Not even close.

dejo
Oct 13, 2005, 02:47 PM
I've seen the U2 commercial for the new ipod.... where it zooms out and the image turns out to be a video on the ipod screen.

I think it's misleading. That video image is clearly rendered and does not represent the actual video capability of the iipod.

You can see the sweat beading up, dripping of of bono... in large screen brilliant, detail, and color....

I've watched the (actual-size 640x480) commerical at Half Size (so it is 320x240), and guess what? I can still see the sweat beading on Bono's forehead.

Lacero
Oct 13, 2005, 02:48 PM

I would think that's a good thing. ;)

Maestro64
Oct 13, 2005, 02:56 PM
I meant to say they were half the resolution of the Vpod, so you know it going to be grainy at best.

redAPPLE
Oct 13, 2005, 03:12 PM

the color reminds me of the 1st gen iBook SE.

Fiveos22
Oct 13, 2005, 03:58 PM
Wow, after reading the article I felt like this was a CEO that was steamed about Apple parodying his product, but after looking at his products (not to mention website and product stats), it seems that this guy is just full of hot air.

jettredmont
Oct 13, 2005, 04:03 PM
Just for laughs, go to http://www.zvue.com/index.html and click on the "quick start" video.

What an abortion of a device!

Aside from the overly-animated annoying spokesperson, they go to great lengths in demonstrating just how convoluted their interface is!

Have a video you want to watch?

1. Open their custom software.
2. Find the file on your disk you want to convert.
3. Click "Export"
4. Give it a new name (they suggest appending "-zvue.avi" to the original file name ... apparently to make this file really hard to find later on) and wait while it down-samples everything to a horrendous compression and resolution.
5. Plug in your ZVUE.
6. Unlike every other USB device known to man, now you must go to the ZVUE "Player Options" screen and select an option to tell it to act as a mass storage device over USB.
7. Now go to Windows and open Windows Explorer.
8. Find your "*-zvue.avi" files (note that if you had three files you converted they will not be grouped together because you followed the bubbly girl's advice about naming them with this silly convention)
9. Drag the "-zvue.avi" file(s) over to the "Videos" folder of your device drive.
10. Disconnect the ZVue
11. On the ZVue, click on "Videos" and then find the file name of the video you wanted to watch (apparently they wanted to append "-zvue.avi" instead of prepending "zvue" because the last part of the file name will be chopped off on the screen in this step).
12. Enjoy!

Yeah, I'm sure Steve Jobs is shaking in his boots. This piece of crap is going to eat the iPod for breakfast!

1. Connect iPod.
2. Wait for everything to synch.
3. Disconnect iPod.
4. Select "Videos" then pick your video by its Title
5. Enjoy! (on a larger screen at higher resolution and double the frame rate...)

I don't know what Apple could have been thinking!

cr2sh
Oct 13, 2005, 04:17 PM
I've watched the (actual-size 640x480) commerical at Half Size (so it is 320x240), and guess what? I can still see the sweat beading on Bono's forehead.

Alright then, can you please tell me if you think that this video:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/ads/

featuring U2, is an accurate depiction of what a 2.5" screen running 320x240 video will look like?

Because honestly, I don't think it is. It looks way too good in my opnion.. I'd be excited if it does... but again, I'm not buying it.

cr2sh
Oct 13, 2005, 04:24 PM
Again, 640x480: (which is what the add is shown in.)

http://www.greencastle.ws/640x480.jpg

Versus 320x240:

http://www.greencastle.ws/320x240.jpg

Doesn't jive with me, but if you think they look the same, we clearly have a difference of opinion I doubt we'll be able to resolve.

Let the thread continue.

:p

nagromme
Oct 13, 2005, 04:45 PM
Apple (and others) DOES use rendered-in images on its products' screens.

Look at the images of OS X on the Tiger box, even: 100% faked at print resolution! Ditto for whatever is on their computer and iPod screens at Apple.com--as is clear when you look at the high-res PR images ( http://apple.com/pr ).

Not the end of the world. It's hard to make a device's screen look good in print, because we EXPECT print to be better than a display. And then there's the obnoxious moiré effects. Solution: fakery.

I'm surprised they get away with making fast food hamburgers look NOT stepped-on, too... but they do :)

Stridder44
Oct 14, 2005, 02:38 AM
What kind of an idiot CEO would say something like that? So you're not impressed. Well duh dumba$$! I've never heard a CEO say he's impressed by a competitor product, thats called free promotion.

"...And that ladys and gents is our new product line! In other news, I like the new iPods were going to compete with..." .......!?!??!?

/Morons
//And that player! Ive seen more interesting things come out of my dog.

Qunchuy
Oct 14, 2005, 11:23 AM
Not even close to what? VHS quality is surprisingly close to 320x240. Whatever you see on a TV commercial, you can probably see on an iPod video screen.

cr2sh
Oct 14, 2005, 02:41 PM
Not even close to what? VHS quality is surprisingly close to 320x240. Whatever you see on a TV commercial, you can probably see on an iPod video screen.

Alright.

I've got a 15" laptop. I'm watching the ipod commercial... The image appears to be about 5.5" big at 640x480 resolution.

The new ipod is a 2.5" screen at 320x240.

Take that 320x240 image and blow it up to 640x480 and put it on a 5.5" screen and it's not going to look nearly as fantastic as it does in the commercial.

Do it for yourself.. and tell me its the same. I'd enjoy seeing the evidence.

---

In fact, anyone who owns this video... I ask of you. Do a screen grab. Save it and resize the 320x240 to 640x480 and let's compare it to the commercial.

MazaGRANDEman
Oct 14, 2005, 04:24 PM
I refute the idea that this device is a video ipod. People keep calling that and getting excited about it.... this is not the "video ipod" we've all been talking about for months.

This is an ipod... a freaking mp3 player.... with video playback enabled.

Jesus:

"Years ago, we knew that people wanted to watch video on handheld devices, and we have been satisfying that demand."

It's an mp3 player, with video enabled. Look at the apple website... the word "video" always comes last... like an after thought. Why would an after though represent a new product? Because its not... its an updated product. An that added function does not change what it is... it doesnt go from and ipod to and ipod video.

I agree, it's an iPod with video playback capabilities not a video ipod. Can't stand when people say it " the video iPod" :mad:

Had hard time yesterday explaining a friend in school, that this new iPod replaces the current main iPod and is not an entire new line of iPods...

It always seems that I'm the only Apple advertiser at my school. People must be getting bored me always telling about Apple and their great 'innovational machinery' ... :D