Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chungbob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
... I would like to know who went out and got an iMac just before the new updated ones. And you guys feeling about it?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
chungbob said:
... I would like to know who went out and got an iMac just before the new updated ones. And you guys feeling about it?
Who cares? I'm sure whoever purchased one in the last 2-3 weeks is pretty bummed. But that's life. People have to deal with it. This just seems like a wasted thread.

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
I bought mine about a month ago. Was I a little bummed? Yea.But that's how technology goes. Once you buy something, it's already out dated. Of all the functions of the new iMac, the only thing I wish I had was the super drive. I have no use for FrontRow, Photobooth, or iSight.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
why? who cares?

i did, bought one about two monthes ago. of course i didnt expect an update so soon.

does it mean my computer sucks and that i got a bad deal? nope- not at all. love my machine

Angelus520

macrumors regular
May 22, 2003
Chicago
I just got a 20" Rev B three weeks ago as I needed it for a gig that weekend. It's still within the 30 day return/exchange period so I'm going to check with the company to see if I can upgrade. If not, no big deal as it's still a sweet machine but I'd love to get one of these new ones.

I haven't opened any of the software that came with it so I should be good. My only question is how to reformat the hard drive back to its original state as I used the Setup Assistant to transfer all my data and programs over from my PowerBook.

Suggestions?

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
If you bought it direct from Apple (online or in an Apple Store) within the last 10 days, you can get a sizable price match refund. Depending on which iMac model you purchased, you'll get back either $300 or $400.

Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment.

dr427

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
Oklahoma City
I'm frustrated. Mine arrived on Oct. 3rd but I bought it from Buy.com.

The hardware improvements I can see from the specs:

-$100 price drop.

-Was 10/100 ethernet now is a 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

-Dropped the 56K modem (Which actually is a negative to me since I want to use mine as a fax machine)

-Was ATI Radeon 9600 w/ 128mb of DDR Sdram AGP 8X to an ATI Radeon X600 XT with 128mb of DDR SDRAM PCI-Express.

-The processor went from a 2.0 GHZ to a 2.1 GHZ (No biggie to me), but Frontside Bus went from 667 mhz to 700 mhz.

Addition of the iSight
Addition of Remote control for Multimedia Functions
Addition of Mighty Mouse

Even if I got a $100 back it wouldn't pay for the difference. PC's change weekly, not iMac's (excluding processor speed). I will check with buy.com, but I doubt anything will happen.

I am totally happy with my machine, but would have been even happier had I waited a WEEK!!! Heck you can get refub's of my model for $1299. Now that is crazy.

:(

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Angelus520 said:
I just got a 20" Rev B three weeks ago as I needed it for a gig that weekend. It's still within the 30 day return/exchange period so I'm going to check with the company to see if I can upgrade. If not, no big deal as it's still a sweet machine but I'd love to get one of these new ones.

I haven't opened any of the software that came with it so I should be good. My only question is how to reformat the hard drive back to its original state as I used the Setup Assistant to transfer all my data and programs over from my PowerBook.

Suggestions?

30 day return/exchange?? Did you buy it from Apple? or a reseller? From Apple, I think it's only 14 days for returns/exchanges....and there's a restoccking charge if the box has been opened.....and if it was BTO then you cant return it unless it's defective

Angelus520

macrumors regular
May 22, 2003
Chicago
I bought it from Sweetwater Sound along with a Mackie Onyx mixer and they have a "No Hassle Return" policy as well as exchanges. Just return it within 30 days of shipping and things are fine. The only restrictions they have are on opened software (which I haven't done) and things you stick in your mouth.

I just need to call them to be sure. May wait until Tuesday to see if it brings anything else new.

Anyone with suggestions on getting my info and programs off?

Thanks!

crazyeyes

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2005
Easton PA
I got mine 10 days ago from an apple retail store. I called them up and they are going to take mine back and give me the new one. They aren't even charging me the restocking fee. I am so happy they took my name and number and are going to call me when they get them in they said should be mid-late next week. So i will have a new iMac in a week. Apple is a great company if this were dell or something i would have probably been told to go screw myself. But apple is doing everything they can to make me happy.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
My 17inch entry level iMac arrived at my door an hour after the Apple website was updated with the iMac specs yesterday morning.

I was on the phone as soon as it was officially announced, the lady at Apple had to wait for her 'system' to catch up. I've previously posted my story before, but I was basically offered a CDN$400 refund or no-cost return.

I'm returning it, unopened and I've already ordered a newer model - again 17inch.

The only thing I'm really interested in is the Superdrive, which is something I wanted before, but wasn't willing to pay extra $$ for. Since it's included now it was worth while me going to the trouble of changing machines and waiting another 2-3weeks.

One thing though, I hope the new layout avoids any of the heating and noisy fan issues I've read so much about with the previous iMacs.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I got mine 3 weeks ago. I still have to decide whether it's worth paying the 15% restocking fee ($405) so that I can get a new model ($350 cheaper than the old one). Essentially it's a $55 upgrade but I don't know whether it's worth the hassle.

In addition, I don't know what I'll do in the meantime - the new systems aren't available for another 2 weeks, by which point my 30 days will have expired.

Edit: Grr, I've actually had it for 5 weeks :(

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Nermal said:
I got mine 3 weeks ago. I still have to decide whether it's worth paying the 15% restocking fee ($405) so that I can get a new model ($350 cheaper than the old one). Essentially it's a $55 upgrade but I don't know whether it's worth the hassle.

In addition, I don't know what I'll do in the meantime - the new systems aren't available for another 2 weeks, by which point my 30 days will have expired.

I think if I'd set the machine up and start using it, I wouldn't be interested in backing up all my data, exchanging the machine and then having to configure the new machine once it finally arrived. I would have just used the refund towards some RAM and perhaps an external DVD burner.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Nermal

Edit: Grr, I've actually had it for 5 weeks

I feel for you, I bought mine August 29th, I don't feel cheated since I have a mini DVcam that could be used for iChat or what not but I've yet to use iChat :rolleyes:
The other upgrades are nice but not enough to make me feel any anger (at myself that is) since I really needed my iMac for some things.
I guess that the only thing that does bother me is the fact with the EDU discount I could get the 20" since the prices have come down (yes it was only $100 less than before but now it would make that difference).
Now since I did wait on buying that Nano...hello iPod and thank you Apple I got back my rebate check :D

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Danksi

I think if I'd set the machine up and start using it, I wouldn't be interested in backing up all my data, exchanging the machine and then having to configure the new machine once it finally arrived. I would have just used the refund towards some RAM and perhaps an external DVD burner.

Yeah that backing everything up would be a pain since some of us put everything on the HDD (for me it is double what I had) so the first day was load it all up and :D

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Angelus520 said:
The only restrictions they have are on opened software (which I haven't done) and things you stick in your mouth.

Good thing the iMac is no longer "lickable". :D

Backup your personal files to DVD, make sure you have all your software install discs. Then just do an Erase & Install to reformat and put a fresh copy of Tiger on there. I believe there are options to overwrite the drive several times in various patterns if you're paranoid about somebody recovering your data.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
I, personally, like the design of my 20 in Rev B that I bought a few weeks ago better than the new one. I really don't like the placement of the camera, and Front Row doesn't really appeal to me except for the "wow" factor. Only thing I'm bummed about is the graphics card, but I do most of my heavy load stuff on the PM G5s at school anyway.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
One of the major improvements of the new iMac G5 is the addition of DDR2 and PCI-e.

Nothing more, gets me excited in regards to the other stuff. If it was HD and a larger screen I would feel little about my Rev B iMac G5. Without HD screen and bigger I am quite happy.

iSight camera built-in, is a hassle as you cannot move the camera alone side to side or even the up and down, you have to move the entire screen. A negative IMHO.

The iMac G5 will eventually have a pivoting LCD screen and camera, which would make more sense. :)

Nothing to get wild about other than the above 2 items mentioned. :)

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Angelus520 said:
I bought it from Sweetwater Sound along with a Mackie Onyx mixer and they have a "No Hassle Return" policy as well as exchanges. Just return it within 30 days of shipping and things are fine. The only restrictions they have are on opened software (which I haven't done) and things you stick in your mouth.

I just need to call them to be sure. May wait until Tuesday to see if it brings anything else new.

Thanks!

Start up off your Tiger DVD (or an older system disk if you dont want to open your iMac disks) and use disk utility to reformat the drive.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Sure I felt a bit gutted that they released a new iMac a couple of months after releasing a new one, I'm sure we all have that feeling. But thats it I couldn't have done my assignments this year if I had of held off...and there were no rumors to suggest this.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
gwuMACaddict said:
why? who cares?

i did, bought one about two monthes ago. of course i didnt expect an update so soon.

does it mean my computer sucks and that i got a bad deal? nope- not at all. love my machine

Thank you! I bought my iMac back in July, and also bought an iSight. Reading the limited feed during the broadcast, I was feeling a bit bummed. After seeing the facts on the latest iMac, I am OK with my buy. Unless I missed something there is not much that would make me want to dump my current iMac for the new one.

Front Row sounds interesting, but for my living space I need at least a 30" screen to make it worth my while. Built-in iSight is cool, but having a PB, so I have the flexibility to take my iSight where I need it.

Now I would have been bummed if they added dual-core tech to the new iMac. That would have been a big performance boost perhaps for my needs.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Signiture says it all. I was bummed about the newer better iMac, but then I realized, seriously live with it. You can't always have the best, and the rev. b is till damn good. Hope they might release that front row and photobooth (if say you buy in iSight) in the near future.

dr427

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
Oklahoma City
Your posts are making me feel better since I am one of the one's who received mine on Oct. 3rd. I guess I have Rev. B. How do you know? I couldn't have recieved "old stock" could I?

It would be TOO much of a pain IMHO to do another transfer. This is my first Mac so I did the PC to Mac transfer. I am not anxious enough to pursue the new machine and resinstall my stuff. If I could get a small refund $100 or more I would be very pleased, but I am going at it as bad timing on my part.

At least the others I am trying to convert to Mac will get the new stuff.

And since I have used ALL my usb (including my keyboard) ports with periphials I am glad mine has the modem built in for faxing. Otherwise I would have to buy a hub and then the USB modem adapter thing.

And your right, had it been a Dual Core upgrade, then I would be sick!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Actuallly, I'm thinking now of buying the "older" version

The "older" iMac version -- the one just replaced -- really appeals to me more than the newer one. I am not interested in the Front Row or the iSight feature (personally I think the camera sticking out of the front of the bezel spoils the elegant look of the machine)and while some of the other updates are nice, I can live without them, as this would not be my only computer. I think it was a mistake on Apple's part to take out the built-in modem. On my present PC I have high-speed cable internet service, but I also keep a dialup service account, too, and there have been times when that's been very convenient to quickly jump online via the dialup modem when the cable has gone down for some reason.

My question here: now that these new revised iMacs will be appearing soon, will the Apple stores be marking down the earlier versions and selling them at a discount? I'm a newbie in the Mac world, an about-to-be "switcher" so don't know how Apple handles this sort of situation. That's what I'm hoping, that I'll be able to pick up a brand-new iMac for less than it had been last week simply because it is now being supplanted.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

OTB

dr427

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
Oklahoma City
I am a recent convert as well, but my guess would be watch the refurb section of the apple.com website.

There is bound to be plenty coming soon. As each Apple store has several and you times that times all the apple stores and poof. A flood should be coming in I would guess. Earlier today the $1799 unit was $1299 refurbed, but now those are all gone and the older 256mb 160GB are all that are left (as I type this).

Yeah, the iSight being built in IS more limiting. What about those light adapters for low light conditions. I guess if it's built in you better have adequate lighting if you plan to use iSight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.