Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgkrick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
I'm new to Mac, but this may be a question that is valid for PC or Mac.

What is the purpose of a video capture card. My 13 year old movie maker is telling me we need one. We have a Samsung DV recorder and he is using a G4 with Imovie?

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
A video capture card is like having a VCR in your mac. It would probably have RCA in (yellow/red/white cord) as well as perhaps even Cable Coax in.

With it you can "record" video inputs. Either from something with RCA (or even DV) output OR if its got a TV tuner, from TV.

It all uses proprietary software, there is no current Apple solution.

The way around is to record stuff with a DV camcorder (either in front of the lens or RCA off TV) and then import it thru the camera using iMovie etc.

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
To put it more simple your computer becomes a video camera for everything it's plugged into. Instead of holding the camera infront of the computer to record what goes on, the screen captures itself. I myself am 13 but I don't need one. Also you can record shows(i think)

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
A capture card should let you record from a VCR to the computer with out going via DV, the main advantage is you can use different encoding other than DV. ie if you need to work with uncompressed video. You can also put out to a VCR from the card or if you are using FCP you can see the video output on you Video monitor (TV)

On the G4 use can use a DC 30 card with this driver it works very well, the the DC 30 will not fit in a G5.
For the G5 you might want a x-fuse
You will also need Final Cut Pro to use a Card, iMovie & iDVD only work with DV.

As Sdashiki said if you need to record of TV / VHS you should be able to record through the DV camera.

Sorry G5Unit but i think you are thinking of some sort of screen capture device.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
cgkrick said:
I'm new to Mac, but this may be a question that is valid for PC or Mac.

What is the purpose of a video capture card. My 13 year old movie maker is telling me we need one. We have a Samsung DV recorder and he is using a G4 with Imovie?

If you have a DV camera you don't need a capture card. Just use a 4pin-to-6pin firewire cable to connect your camera to the Mac.

Lethal

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
LethalWolfe said:
If you have a DV camera you don't need a capture card. Just use a 4pin-to-6pin firewire cable to connect your camera to the Mac.

I agree with this. Ask him why you need a video capture card or give us some more specifics about what he is trying to do.

If he just wants to use a VCR or other analog source, you might be able to use the camera as a digital/analog converter in its current state (ie without spending more money). But again, ask him for some more info :)

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
Got to agree with the last poster on this, you better ask him why he needs it. If it's just to get the analog video into the computer, then almost any dv camera can do it. If you have a ton of analog to convert a analog/digital converter may be best in some cases, it does not have to be a card though, there are firewire devices that work as well.

Brian

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Eastend said:
Got to agree with the last poster on this, you better ask him why he needs it.

Very good advice. I'm a smart guy and I was a smart 13 year old. But I remember thinking I knew a lot more then I actually did. Even the smartest 13 year old usually isn't smart enough to know they don't know. Y'know? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.