Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
What do you all think Apple will unleash on the 22nd?
There have been many reports or many rumors as to what Apple will do this tues. the 22nd. N many of you have your opinions (educated mind you) on what they are doing.....

So take this time to finalize what you strongly think Apple will do on tues.

that way we know for sure who made the right prediction...

fire away you mac heads....

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by mac15
GHZ g4 or maybe the release of the imac

Uhh... I don't think we'll see new iMacs! :D

Maybe a G4 speed bump, but probably no more than 1 GHz. But I wouldn't be surprised if we saw nothing at all.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Here we go!!!

867Mhz G4 , 256Mb RAM , 60Gig HD + Geforce 2
933Mhz DP G4 , 512Mb RAM , 80Gig HD + Geforce 3
1Ghz G4 . 512Mb RAM , 100Gb HD + Geforce 3

As for the other stuff, no increase in bus, type of memory.

OSeXy!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
London (or virtually here)
Just a thought...

...What if the system bus has been upgraded (in advance of the Apollos), but the G4s haven't? Couldn't the rumoured speed-bumps be based on the chips we've already got, re-rated to a faster bus (166 or 200Mhz?).

Perhaps Steve wanted to show new pro models based on Apollos at MWSF (to ship end of Jan/Feb, with new sys bus), but it became clear that Moto wasn't going to make it. So while everyone waits for the REAL goods, Apple manages a slight upgrade to fool a few 'pro' users (no one in here, though), simply by repackaging the kit they already have in hand.

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
It's hard to believe we will see a revision... if it wasn't for the rumors, no one would be suggesting a new PowerMac this close to MWSF.

Besides, I hope they don't come out, as the speedbumps mentioned are not significant at all, and it would mean that there would be no major revisions until May, at least.

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
G4

I think the G4 rumor sounds right but remember this is apple they could do something we have never thought of like solar power iLamp (ok maybe that won't happen but you get the idea) Well, I won't be getting anything new I just got a new imac ships today :D I wish I had a job so I could get a powermac I need those PCI slots.

stoid271

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2002
Superdrive crucial!!!

Speed bump to 867, 933 and 1Ghz (possibly dual 1Ghz). Harddrives starting at 60GB up to 100GB. No enclosure change (wait til G5 in July for new iMac-like enclosure) Superdriive across the board!!

erova

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
washington dc
i think there WILL be speed bumps to the PowerMac line, just subtle enough not to call for a MacWorld or Seybold presentation...

keep in mind in the fall, the Ti 500 and 400's were slashed 600 and 500 (respectively, of course) and a lot of people thought that Seybold would be the event to unleash the 667's and 550's we have today...of course, seybold came and went and it wasn't until a random Monday that we found the new models released.

i think tomorrow would make some sense because if apple isn't unleashing the new G5 chip (which it pretty much looks like it aint happenin for a little while), then using a major event to unleash simple speedbumps to the Power Mac line might incite a riot among users who expect to see a G5 is Stevie says "Oh, one more thing....G4 1.2, 933, and 867's!!" (i'm not guessing the speed bumps, just using those numbers as an example)

Honestly, I'm REALLY waiting for Macromedia to publish carbonized Flash and Dreamweaver, and for Adobe to start carbonizing PhotoShop, so my 533 can run just in X with no Classic...(because I'm sure cranking out a 14k web graphic can't get much faster on a G4 533 than a G4 1.2, agreed?)

So, since this is an update thread, anyone care to throw me a bone on Flash, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop (which i've heard is looking like second quarter)????

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by Beej

Uhh... I don't think we'll see new iMacs! :D

Maybe a G4 speed bump, but probably no more than 1 GHz. But I wouldn't be surprised if we saw nothing at all.

He means they will be shipping and be in Apple Retail stores...

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
So, since this is an update thread, anyone care to throw me a bone on Flash, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop (which i've heard is looking like second quarter)????

Macromedia apps prob not till June, photoshop prob march.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Here goes:

Realistic:

New towers in 800-1.2. Low end RAM to 256, High end RAM to 1Gb. HD's get bigger, Superdrive on All Towers.

Cool:

Duals across the board @867-1.4. Base RAM to 512, High end RAM to 1.5Gb. Superdrive standard equipment. On-Mobo ATA dumped for PCI options (ATA 133 default). Add a 5th PCI. Add back the 4th RAM slot. Add a 2nd AGP. Airport installed default. Revise case.

Acid trip:

All of the [Cool] features + DDR, 64Bit wide, 200Mhz bus. Substitute "hot-swappable" FireWire 2 drive bay for existing (empty) Zip 250. Revise case to make better use of space for internal drives, case designed for easy adaption to 19" Rack. 4x USB2, 3x FW2, "Gigawire".

New LCD monitors: 17", 19", 24" Cinema. Thinner, higher res. Touch capable w/ stylus. New base assembly. Reduce overall weight. Built in FW2 and DV/Analog converter w/ tuner.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Is there no new info about the towers!! Its very quiet considering new towers could come out tommorrow!!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I would like to see speed bumps tommorow but im not going to buy a new mac until I see a G4 or G5 which ever comes first running at 1.4 ghz. My last mac was bought in 1996 (6500)and i might as well wait for the next best thing . If im going to spend $3000 on a computer i want the next best thing because i will have this computer for atleast 4 years. When i bought this computer it was a few months before the G3 came out and i was kicking my self so im gonna wait and grab whatever will be the future of Apple and not the past.;)

BurntCalc

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Tucson
The DV Expo is happening in New York City this week, isn't it?

On a side note, doesn't Apple usually announce they're going to hold a press conference *before* they actually announce new things? I haven't heard anything in the news. Somehow, I wouldn't hold my breath for an announcement tomorrow.

With that said: My predictions:

G4 1.2ghz Apollo. Bus speeds stay the same.
Dual 1ghz Apollo.
933 mhz Apollo.
OSX 10.2

No new updgrades to the rest of the system.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
If they don't use Apollo...

...you're all gonna be dissapointed. The 7450 maxes out at 933MHz. The best they could do would be DP 800 low end, DP 867 middle, DP 933 high end.

If they use Apollo, then I think macuser is being a bit conservative. I would expect something more like 1, 1.13, 1.26GHz. If they have a very limited supply of Apollos then macuser might be right. 800 and 933 7450s, and 1GHz 7460 (Apollo). That would suck. I will be satisfied if they go all dual, or all 1GHz+.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
ha.. the 25th anniversary macs.

that was a good one voicegy.

Speed bump on the Quicksilvers....Thats as specific as Im getting.

Whats this with some peeps sayings nothings going to happen?

dnelsongb

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2002
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Want it, Touch it, Feeeel it...

I've been on apples since 1985. Which does date me.
(Was a Captain Krunch Associate back in the day)

I work for a school district and my Apple Rep, which must remain nameless likes me. I was "gung-ho" on buying a new iMac. The rep and an engineer with apple discouraged me in purchasing.

Due to the fact that they know of my heavy usage of Final Cut Pro and Photoshop, they said WAIT. The iMac is a beautiful work of art but the performance im searching for does not reside within these machines.

A quote from the rep and engineer, The G5 will be out very very very soon in Dual Processor Models and very affordable. I think were going to be very surprised with Apple. They are going to get a machine into everyones hands and everyone will want it, need it. APPLE IS OUT OF THE DITCH AND HITTING THE HIGHWAY WITH FULL FORCE! Good Luck Apple. I LOVE YOU!

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
apple, i love you too

please make all these dreams come true. although i wont be able to enjoy it (already have a quicksilver) i await the inevitable--drool on my keyboard, jaw surgery, and tongue transplant

please oh please oh please oh please

(ps please release a new digital device soon... i really need/want a camera and don't know which one to buy because of all the specs/features--you would fix all my problems...)

(ps ps, that and photoshop/dreamweaver... ride their arses until they get them in gear)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.