Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lepe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
Hi,
I am new to the Mac World, and about to buy an iPad.
I have read that it is possible to backup the iPad via a MAC/PC (iTunes).
BUT
Is it possible to backup an iPad directly to a connected external Harddisk?

Thanks for your help!

Hankcah

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
Source: Kappy from Apple Source Community

You need to point iTunes to the library on the external drive. Hold down the OPTION key while opening iTunes. You will be prompted to select a library. Navigate to the external drive to select the iTunes library you wish to use. From that point on when you sync the phone the backups will go to the iTunes library on the external drive.

lepe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
thanks for yout instant reply!
as i do not have an iPad yet, it is quite hard for me to understand how I can hold "the option key" while opening itunes especialy without an external keyboard? ... but I think I'll figure it out!
thanks!

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
You can only backup to the location where your iTunes library exists.

The above poster is referring to moving your iTunes library to the external then when you open iTunes, hold down Option on your Mac keyboard (Shift on a Windows PC) to tell iTunes to use that library file.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1589?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If I were you, I'd just backup to iCloud as it is done daily without the need for iTunes. iCloud backups will also be more up-to-date since they are usually performed daily. Backing up to iTunes requires you to plug your device in which can easily be forgotten for weeks or even months at a time.

lepe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
I think my question was misinterpreted. That a backup can be done using a MAC/PC and iTunes, was clear for me. So the connection looks like iPad----MAC/PC----external HD

My preferable connection would look like this:
iPad----external HD is that possible?

ICloud sounds like a good option though.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I think my question was misinterpreted. That a backup can be done using a MAC/PC and iTunes, was clear for me. So the connection looks like iPad----MAC/PC----external HD

My preferable connection would look like this:
iPad----external HD is that possible?

ICloud sounds like a good option though.

No, that's not possible. Just use iTunes and backup as normal. If you ever feel like you're running low on space (which you really shouldn't ever be), you can always delete some old backups.

Or go the easy route and just use iCloud.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
But you can always backup and then copy that folder to the external hard drive just for safety. OR you can use iCloud as hazy suggested, I prefer iTunes because backups are stored locally and data can be extracted if anything:)

Doesn't have to be one or other -- you can backup to BOTH iTunes and iCloud. I have my iPad set to backup automatically to iCloud, then whenever I connect my iPad to my computer, I click "backup" in iTunes, and it creates a backup on my computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.