Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris155

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
I'm having some problems with a new SSD in a mid 09 1.86ghz macbook air.

I installed it and everything went ok until I checked for trim support (running 10.6.8), found out that Mac OS X has mistakenly identified the SSD as a conventional HDD and therefore won't enable trim. I did a clean install, smc and pram resets, even tried running Lion but I'm having the same problem. I know the SSD supports trim since I tried with Windows 7 on bootcamp and it reports it as enabled.

This is what System Profiler reports of the SSD (it's an apple toshiba unit)

NVidia MCP79 AHCI:

Vendor: NVidia
Product: MCP79 AHCI
Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

APPLE SSD TS128:

Capacity: 125.5 GB (125,500,104,704 bytes)
Model: APPLE SSD TS128
Revision: A0985002
Serial Number: 01J850005045
Native Command Queuing: No
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Medium Type: Rotational
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Is there any way of fixing this?

Heathm

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2017
I'm having some problems with a new SSD in a mid 09 1.86ghz macbook air.

I installed it and everything went ok until I checked for trim support (running 10.6.8), found out that Mac OS X has mistakenly identified the SSD as a conventional HDD and therefore won't enable trim. I did a clean install, smc and pram resets, even tried running Lion but I'm having the same problem. I know the SSD supports trim since I tried with Windows 7 on bootcamp and it reports it as enabled.

I KNOW this is an old thread. ..but it is the closest that I could find to my current problem. I am having the exact same occurrence. Were you ever able to resolve this?

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
I no longer own it but I had an iMac with an SSD mounted in the optical drive slot running the OS while I kept data only on the HDD. The installer (overseas) also loaded TRIM software for it. When I upgraded, I believe to Yosemite, the TRIM software no longer was permitted by the OS.

Back in the US, I asked an independent repair shop about this and they said you can have the same effect by doing a full bootable backup of the drive. (I use Carbon Copy.) Then boot to the external backup, format the internal drive with Disk Manager, and do a full restore. It is a little time consuming and not something you would want to do weekly, but supposedly has the same effect.

Heathm

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2017
I no longer own it but I had an iMac with an SSD mounted in the optical drive slot running the OS while I kept data only on the HDD. The installer (overseas) also loaded TRIM software for it. When I upgraded, I believe to Yosemite, the TRIM software no longer was permitted by the OS.

Back in the US, I asked an independent repair shop about this and they said you can have the same effect by doing a full bootable backup of the drive. (I use Carbon Copy.) Then boot to the external backup, format the internal drive with Disk Manager, and do a full restore. It is a little time consuming and not something you would want to do weekly, but supposedly has the same effect.
[doublepost=1487035668][/doublepost]Thanks for the information Kanunu. I may try something similar to this. "Disk Manager" seems to offer some great advantages over the awful rework of Apples "Disk Utility". Just for any that might profit. . .OWC actually said that the way the SSD was showing up was normal for this drive it is the 2TB Electra 6G. Disk Utility actually says that it is NOT an SSD. They recommend enabling TRIM via TRIMFORCE. Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.