Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
I searched and couldn't find an answer to this. I had snow leopard on my macbook late 2009 and recently added a SSD and clean installed mountain lion with a usb installer. I then installed windows 7 by bootcamp and removed the dvd drive from my notebook to add a second hdd.

I noticed a few days later mountain lion is really unstable when waking up from sleep. This seems to be a common problem either caused by wifi settings, bluetooth, or reinstalling mountain Lion. I want to try reinstalling mountain lion. Will I be able to do this given that my dvd drive is no longer internal and I have a second hdd? Will my bootcamp partition be preserved or do I need to start from scratch and reinstall mountain lion, then make a new bootcamp partition, etc? Thanks in advance.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You should be able to boot from the recovery partition and reinstall from there, although some modified USB installers prevent it from making the partition in the first place. Having said that, there shouldn't be anything stopping you from making another USB installer.

As for Boot Camp, I can't say; I haven't used it in the post-10.6 years.

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
Plug in a USB SuperDrive or DVD drive and install again, otherwise you'll need a USB stick that has the mountain lion installation image on it.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
Cool, i have my mountain lion installer still saved on an external hard drive. I'm glad I don't have to stick in my dvd drive for a pre-check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.