Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AudiGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
i really want the new remote. my question is will it work with my powerbook? i bought it in march. ive look everywhere and i cant seem to find a IR reciever. does the newer powerbooks have them built in?

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
I'm interested as well. I've heard a few times that they are bluetooth but then I heard they are IR and the iMacs IR sensor is behind the Apple logo. I totally want a Bluetooth remote for my PB and MacMini.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The only Mac that the remote works with (as of today) is the new iMac. 2005 PowerBooks do not currently have IR receivers.

Sorry.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
robbieduncan said:
The only Mac that the remote works with (as of today) is the new iMac. 2005 PowerBooks do not currently have IR receivers.

Sorry.
Do you know for sure that its IR? IR sucks so much.

carpe diem

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
robbieduncan said:

Sorry.
Where is the IR on the new iMac, its not in the camera?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
It says this on the Apple Store page for the remote: "Compatible with Apple products introduced in 2005 or later that have a built-in Infrared (IR) receiver."

It IR not bluetooth!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
carpe diem said:
Where is the IR on the new iMac, its not in the camera?

At this point I'm not sure. Some people claim it's in the Apple logo (on the front). Some people claim that all digital cameras can "see" IR anyway.

I'd have thought that somewhere near the top of the iMac would be better as it's less likely to be obscured so somewhere near the camera would be a good bet.

itsbetteronamac

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
I would bet that the IR reciever is behind the apple logo. It is true that digital cameras can "See" IR signal or waves, but they are not capable of interpeting them.

AudiGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
well i think that they should make a bluetooth version for those of us who dont have IR

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
AudiGuy said:
i really want the new remote. my question is will it work with my powerbook? i bought it in march. ive look everywhere and i cant seem to find a IR reciever. does the newer powerbooks have them built in?

Perhaps in due time. Maybe we'll see a PowerBook G3 style Apple logo on the bezel with the IR receiver behind it. As I have read elsewhere on here, there are other remotes that will work perfectly with what you have now.

itsbetteronamac

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
If you have a compatible bluetooth phone. You can use "sailing clicker" which is an amazing app that allows you bluetooth phone to control like everything you could ever want.

AudiGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
itsbetteronamac said:
If you have a compatible bluetooth phone. You can use "sailing clicker" which is an amazing app that allows you bluetooth phone to control like everything you could ever want.

will the motorolla razr v3 be able to do this?? is so, forget the remote!

or what about a psp?? sounds crazy huh? but will it work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.