Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuidoH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Last year I had a rMBP for a week or so, I returned it because of the image retention and a rendering problem in Safari, the rendering problem did only occur on the integrated GPU (Intel HD Graphics 4000).

Now I have a brand new MacBook Air 2012, which has the same GPU and, sadly, the same problems in Safari. It seems to me that it's a problem with the GPU driver or a Safari problem, but if that's true, all of you with the same MacBook Air should have this problem.

You can check at:
http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/

If it looks like this (the "O" in this case, but changes when resizing the window) you have the same problem:
Image%202013.02.21%2016:21:52.png

Please let me know if you (don't) have the same problem!

Edit: I see the title is changed, I guess it's not totally clear. It's not about the image retention, just about the rendering. And it's not just text rendering.

Note: This issue has been solved in OS X 10.8.3!

Last edited:

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Safari.

It's doing it in the other 'O' for me.

Also, you swapped out the Retina MacBook Pro because of a rendering issue in one browser? Why?

GuidoH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Safari.

It's doing it in the other 'O' for me.

Also, you swapped out the Retina MacBook Pro because of a rendering issue in one browser? Why?

What character it's in depends on the width of the window.

As a web developer I need a good representation of what I make, not just in one browser but in all. And it wasn't good in all, I didn't accept that from a $3,400 laptop.

And it wasn't the only reason, there was Image Retention too. That combined made my choice easy.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2011
I don't see this issue on my MacBook Air 2012 in Chrome and Firefox - only in Safari. So it must be some issue with Safari and the way it renders...

rufhausen

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Littleton, CO
I'm on the Bootstrap site all the time (I'm also a web developer and use Boostrap for front end work because I don't generally do design work) and never noticed it because I primarily use Chrome.

I see it in the "s" (in my window size) on Safari.

I'm assuming that Bootstrap is just one example of the issue, but as long as you know what's going one and it only happens in Safari, I don't really see it as being a big deal.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Mid 2012 MBA here with no issues in Safari on the latest 10.8.3; looks as though it will be fixed!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-22 at 8.09.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-22 at 8.09.49 PM.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 168

halledise

macrumors 68000
I have an rMPB (15") which renders perfectly using Intel HD4000 integrated graphics most of the time, so the fault musta been with your particular rMBP.
it only switches over to the nVidia card under intensive rendering tasks and even then, you wouldn't necessarily be aware of it.

also, why did you spend $3400?
was it the top of the range fully specced out model or something?
mine is the base stock model which cost me Aus $2279 (and works perfectly) + $100 for an external usb3 HDD. :)

I should add a rider here, the first rMBP went ballistic after about a week - cursor spontaneously moving all over the place and resisting all attempts to locate it in a specific place - such as to close an application.
and erase and reinstall fixed it for a couple of hours before it started up again.
called Apple, who shipped a replacement out to me and which arrived the next day; 3 days later they sent a courier to collect the faulty one.
I came off successive Airs since the 2nd release and now really appreciated the higher res screen, the superb performance and the form factor. doubt I'll go back to an Air again

Last edited:

Haaker

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2012
Philadelphia area
Safari, yes. When I resize the window, the funny effect moves from left-hand letters to right-hand letters (from the first o, to the second o, to the s, and so forth).

In Chrome there's no effect at all.

GuidoH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Mid 2012 MBA here with no issues in Safari on the latest 10.8.3; looks as though it will be fixed!
Did you have problems on 10.8.2?

I have an rMPB (15") which renders perfectly using Intel HD4000 integrated graphics most of the time, so the fault musta been with your particular rMBP.
it only switches over to the nVidia card under intensive rendering tasks and even then, you wouldn't necessarily be aware of it.

also, why did you spend $3400?
was it the top of the range fully specced out model or something?
mine is the base stock model which cost me Aus $2279 (and works perfectly) + $100 for an external usb3 HDD. :)
Wasn't fully specced out, but just upgraded CPU (2.7GHz) and RAM (16GB). But it was bought in the Netherlands, it's more expensive here. The base model rMBP 15" is €2229, that's ~$2938.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.