PDA

View Full Version : i am happy

zimv20
Dec 9, 2002, 04:49 PM
my new ibook showed up today. 800/12.1/640/40. i like it.

cr2sh
Dec 9, 2002, 05:06 PM
I've been considering ordering that model for a while now. I travel a lot, and while I have a laptop pc, it'd be nice to be able to save/carry all my digitalphotos and maybe do some programming on the road. The new tibook/so is so tempting though. Have fun with it!

Wano
Dec 9, 2002, 10:08 PM
nice setup!

zimv20
Dec 9, 2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Wano
nice setup!

thank you. it's replacing my lombard, which'll probably be my webserver now (built in battery backup!).

which means my 266 g3 desktop, currently the webserver, goes... ????

it's odd, but on my new ibook, iCal responds faster than on my dual g4 (500). hm.

Gus
Dec 10, 2002, 12:30 AM
I just got mine-800/380/30-on Friday, and it is better than I thought it would be. I had a G4/733 w/Superdrive, and this little book does a lot of things much quicker than that machine did. Especially games. Medal of Honor finally feels playable-(maybe the ATI drivers are better than the Nvdia?). I'll be selling my trusty Pismo, and it will be a hard thing to bear.

Did I mention that this thing has an incredibly bright and clear display?

Regards,
Gus

arn
Dec 10, 2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by zimv20

thank you. it's replacing my lombard, which'll probably be my webserver now (built in battery backup!).

which means my 266 g3 desktop, currently the webserver, goes... ????

it's odd, but on my new ibook, iCal responds faster than on my dual g4 (500). hm.

Well, the 800MHz G3 will be faster than the 500MHz G4. :)

iCal probably doesn't use much Altivec... and while some other os tasks are offloaded to the second 500mhz processor... the 800mhz will prob still be faster on the single tasks.

arn

zimv20
Dec 10, 2002, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by arn

Well, the 800MHz G3 will be faster than the 500MHz G4. :)

i am well pleased with the speed overall. i don't care what anyone says, i like the g3! :-)

lmalave
Dec 10, 2002, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by zimv20

i am well pleased with the speed overall. i don't care what anyone says, i like the g3! :-)

Right on! The 800 MHz G3 is quite zippy running OS X , esp when coupled with the Radeon 7500 w/32MB. And I only have 384MB (thought about getting your setup with maxed out RAM and hard drive, but getting 384MB and the 30GB drive for only $1300 was too good a deal to pass up...)

IMHO, the iBook 12.1" is as close to perfection as any computer anyone's put out so far. 12.1" is the right size screen - just big enough to run at 1024x768 and still be quite legible with all the font smoothing in OS X. And it's definitely worth it to have an extra couple pounds (vs. the Sony or Dell ultraportables) to have a built-in combo drives. The iBook makes a sweet portable DVD player!

The only things that could be better (maybe the next iBook I buy in 3 years or so), would be: even slimmer design (less than an inch) and even lower weight (< 4 lbs.), built-in Bluetooth (for wireless headphones and using cell phone as modem), and improved graphics card with DVI output. And notice I didn't even mention CPU - they are all already fast enough, and the only thing I care about is that it be low power consumption to keep the battery life at at least 4+ hours.

zimv20
Dec 10, 2002, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by lmalave

IMHO, the iBook 12.1" is as close to perfection as any computer anyone's put out so far.

heh heh, that's quite a compliment.

yeah, it suits my needs great. all my heavy duty stuff is done on my g4. i need this puppy for writing, listening to music, and browsing.

the only thing I care about is that it be low power consumption to keep the battery life at at least 4+ hours.

there's a lot of people bashing apple for its "slow" machines, not taking into account any other factors: battery life, size/weight, cost.

i certainly don't need the fastest machine they make for my portable needs -- but a lot of people have trouble respecting that for some reason.