Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jstar002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
I have an iphone 5. I want to spend as little money as possible. I have an older 2003 Mercedes so I have a cigarette lighter socket thing... I'm thinking this would work

http://www.wirelessemporium.com/p-1...source=gbase&gclid=CPXbmsjoy7UCFSSCQgodgE8AIA

Whats the diff between that one and this http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...htning-connector-for-iphone-5-21-amp?fnode=48

I know its different level of amps, but does the second Belkin one fit into a cigarette lighter socket? The plug looks different?

Whats a good charger i can buy that will fit my car for cheap?

Last edited:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Monoprice also has inexpensive chargers.

I know its different level of amps, but does the second Belkin one fit into a cigarette lighter socket? The plug looks different?
From the very link you posted:
Plugs into any car power outlet

don't you need a usb port to use that one? My car is so old it doesnt come with a usb port... where do i get OEM cable?
No, the charger has a USB port (for charging only). The charger plugs into your car's power outlet. You need a USB to Lightning cable to use it.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
If your worried you might bring in the USB->Lightning cable and end up not having it in the car, get one of the two you linked (as they work only in cigarette lighter style power outlets).

If you have extra USB->Lightning cables already or want a little more flexibility grab the little one that gives you a USB port in the car (this is what I did, so if my phone is dying I can snag the USB->Lightning cable and charge the phone in at work after arrival without leaving my phone in the car on the always-on outlet)

araje

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
Keep in mind that the cheap car chargers do not charge the iPhone when you are running maps and keeping the screen on.

Make sure your charger atleast delivers 1 amp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.