PDA

View Full Version : maybe this should belong in the official poop thread....

vniow
Dec 9, 2002, 07:39 PM
Okay, so it's wasted food, not poop, but it got your attention didn't it?

(CNN) -- A meal you don't eat could return to your kitchen table not as leftovers, but as plastic wrap.

Using food scraps, biochemical engineer Jian Yu and colleagues at the Hawaii Natural Energy Institute in Honolulu have come up with what they claim is an inexpensive way to make a biodegradable polymer.

The substance could be used in disposable products such as bottles, wrappers and even surgical instruments, according to the researchers, who recently published their work in the journal Environmental Science and Technology.

Plastics engineers with the British company ICI began making this type of polymer about a decade ago, but they used pure sugar and organic acid, a much more costly process.

Food waste can reduce the expense by 40 percent, according to the Hawaii researchers. It contains more organic matter that can be easily digested by microbes for polymer biosynthesis, they said. (http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/12/08/plastic.food/index.html)

Mr. Anderson
Dec 9, 2002, 07:50 PM
In space waste water is treated and recycled - eventually most of the waste will be treated and reprocessed, but probably not for a very long time.

This is a step in that direction, even if it not going to be use for food.

D

MacAztec
Dec 9, 2002, 08:29 PM
Or maybe this should be in there....

[mod edit] lets keep this out of the forums - if someone really wants to see poop, they can look at it themselves or you can email it to them. Please do not post these again! [/edit]

vniow
Dec 9, 2002, 08:33 PM
Now why'd you have to go and post that!!!!

job
Dec 9, 2002, 08:38 PM
Oh ******.

This thread got off topic fast.

Damn.

DakotaGuy
Dec 9, 2002, 08:50 PM
Well I see another use for a digital camera has been found. Recording those record poops. It is NASTY though...who actually took those pictures of their poop?

vniow
Dec 9, 2002, 08:53 PM
They're from www.ratemypoo.com, I believe.

It was mentioned in the REAL poop thread, pics were posted too, but they were deleted as I suspect this thread will be soon.......

Sun Baked
Dec 9, 2002, 09:03 PM
What do you expect from the "The worst ever avatar designer"?

I'd expect him to clean up his own mess, and delete the pics.

whfsdude
Dec 9, 2002, 09:06 PM
http://www.willscorner.net/47cff2b865df2c735ce1777051f9d547.jpg