Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dinobot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
Hi! I got the same ssd as some people here, but it doesn't work with my ibook when it's connected to IDE bus (instead HDD)

when it plugged to USB case it works fine with tiger. The error I got is

ioatacontroller device blocking bus

SSD model is KDS-PA25.6-XXXMS. What's wrong?!

Giuly

macrumors 68040
As stated, the device is blocking the bus.
fkyRjdQ.jpg

If it's on Master, put it on Slave or vice versa.

dinobot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
As stated, the device is blocking the bus.
If it's on Master, put it on Slave or vice versa.

Are you sure hard disk should be slave on iBook? I have put jumper off once, and the ssd was not seen by system.

Putting the disk to slave mode is goin to be a problem because pata connector blocks the pins I need to put the drive into slave.

lmE8EhAJ1Cw.jpg

Last edited:

jpcoelho

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Aveiro, Portugal
Are you sure hard disk should be slave on iBook? I have put jumper off once, and the ssd was not seen by system.

Putting the disk to slave mode is goin to be a problem because pata connector blocks the pins I need to put the drive into slave.

you can short the two pins with thin wire, you do not need the jumper... just run some loops around both pins and you should be ok!

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
SSD model is KDS-PA25.6-XXXMS. What's wrong?!

It's most likely your SSD controller issue, not a Master/Slave thing .6 in KingSpec's product number stands for SM2236, which is 4 channel Silicon Motion CF controller. Most of KingSpec IDE SSDs (older ones) are based on SM2231 – 2 channel IDE controller.

Some SM2236 functions, which 2231 does not have, may be troublesome for iBooks onboard IDE controller. That's why your SSD works in external enclosure but not when connected to iBook's ATA bus.

dinobot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
If that happens to be true, you might as well get an Optibay caddy with integrated SATA converter for $7.50 and a modern SSD like the 64GB SanDisk SSD, which should cost roughly the same as the 32GB KingSpec.

That is, if you don't need the SuperDrive and rather have the old hard drive installed along with the SSD.

Nice! I will try IDE CDROM to sata 2.5" adaptor. Does it mean I will be able to use ANY sata 2.5 SSD/HDD disk?

dinobot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
I'd just exchange this .6 KingSpec to .1 one and problem solved.

I did not got you :( What is .6 and .1?

See attachment in OP on this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1095715/
Another option would be Transcend SSD 320 IDE 64GB. It's based on SM2231 too and it's about $80 (at least in my country).

Yes, I saw an attachment. It's terrible that other SSDs works fine with ATA bus but my not.

I will get PATA dvdrom to SATA 2.5" adaptor tomorrow and put sata 2.5 OCZ ssd.

So folks, are you sure OCZ vertex3 / agility (sata III both) will definitely work for me with ibook g3? ;)

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
... also, switching to SLAVE and putting dvd-rom off did not solve my problem.

how about leaving the ssd jumpers off (CS) and uplugging the optical drive. i've seen cases where the optical blocks the bus.

also wonder what happens with just the optical, can you boot from it with no ssd attached? might rule out the optical. how does the cable look, any kinks?

just my two cents, best of luck.

zhivago1955

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
Oregon
you can short the two pins with thin wire, you do not need the jumper... just run some loops around both pins and you should be ok

I had the same problem with my new 32GB SSD. After viewing this diagram are you suggesting to wrap a thin wire between #2 and #4 pins? Will that activate the SSD?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Yes, I saw an attachment. It's terrible that other SSDs works fine with ATA bus but my not.

Re-read post #7 and see attachment again. Notice difference between your SSD product number and this one which works for poster who did the screenshot.

dinobot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
Re-read post #7 and see attachment again. Notice difference between your SSD product number and this one which works for poster who did the screenshot.

Ok. So, everyone who will order kinspec psta ssd should ask dealer about serial number.

you can short the two pins with thin wire, you do not need the jumper... just run some loops around both pins and you should be ok

I had the same problem with my new 32GB SSD. After viewing this diagram are you suggesting to wrap a thin wire between #2 and #4 pins? Will that activate the SSD?

Yes, SSD is visible for Ibook, but fails to "ioatadevice blocking bus" on boot / format.

That would be a monumental waste of an SSD. How about CF card with IDE adapter?

Why Kingspec pata SSD is not monumental waste of an SSD, but SATA SSD in optbay is?

how about leaving the ssd jumpers off (CS) and uplugging the optical drive. i've seen cases where the optical blocks the bus.

also wonder what happens with just the optical, can you boot from it with no ssd attached? might rule out the optical. how does the cable look, any kinks?

just my two cents, best of luck.

Cable looks fine. Yes, I can boot tiger 10.4 install CD when SSD is not plugged as well, but I can not boot ssd with any jumper position when DVD-ROM is pluuged or not.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
The Vertex 3 is not a good choice. It doesn't work well with Macs and lots of people had problems with it. Get the SanDisk, it's faster even on ATA, more reliable, and works well with Macs. Also, it's inexpensive.

That would be a monumental waste of an SSD. How about CF card with IDE adapter?
Because the 64GB SanDisk SSD above costs as much as a 32GB SanDisk with 60MB/s or a 16GB with 90MB/s compact flash. Also, the iBook obviously doesn't like CF controllers, or we wouldn't have this conversation right now.

Last edited:

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009

I will get PATA dvdrom to SATA 2.5" adaptor tomorrow and put sata 2.5 OCZ ssd.

So folks, are you sure OCZ vertex3 / agility (sata III both) will definitely work for me with ibook g3? ;)

Where did you buy it from? eBay? See if the seller will do an exchange for you.

Also, I have a .6 drive and it's working fine. I wonder if this could be a different issue, though the iBooks and PowerBooks probably have different IDE controllers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.