PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy AppleCare for my Macbook Air 2011 bought Feb 2012?

Satnam1989
Feb 24, 2013, 01:31 PM
Hey guys I have a 2011 Macbook Air 1.7GHz 4GB 256GB that I bought on Feb 29th 2012, wondering if I should buy AppleCare for it as its going to expire on Feb 28th (in 4 days).

Current State:
The MBAir works perfectly, only thing wrong with it is I have a crack in the screen that runs from right below the Camera all the way to the right bottom corner in sort of an L shape or more like below:

.....|
.....|
.....|
.......\
.........\
............\
..............\

The display works fine so far as well, this crack has been like this since November 2012, only time is fully visible and noticeable is when watching movies or viewing something with black background. I do have a screen protector on the MBAir which was applied since day 1 and that seems to have helped keeping things in tact.

I do understand AppleCare will not replace my screen as I have read many stories online about people having to pay up to $500-800 just to have a screen replacement, that is something I will definitely not even consider as its not worth it...I can find a used Macbook Air 2012 on Craigslist for about $1200...

Suggestions?

The-Pro
Feb 24, 2013, 04:37 PM
I'd say get the apple care. They wont replace the screen but if something happens with the rest then that will be covered.

All I can say is I deeply regret not getting Apple Care for my 2010 15" MBP. I would need it now :D Didn't feel like spending 350 :O. Oh well.

BeeJee
Feb 24, 2013, 06:07 PM
SquareTrade would be better because they will actually cover damage and repair costs unlike AppleCare. If I'm not mistaken you can get it for around the same price if not cheaper. That's what I would do. The warranty on my 2011 refurb just expired last week so kinda was/am in the same boat

phoenixsan
Feb 24, 2013, 08:25 PM
with the AppleCare, just for peace of mind with anything going wrong. Better have it than need it. But I know, can be a hefty price to pay for peace....

:):apple:

digitalhen
Feb 24, 2013, 08:57 PM
SquareTrade would be better because they will actually cover damage and repair costs unlike AppleCare. If I'm not mistaken you can get it for around the same price if not cheaper. That's what I would do. The warranty on my 2011 refurb just expired last week so kinda was/am in the same boat

(NB. the existing damage won't be covered by SquareTrade either)

That said, I think the AppleCare is needed - if not exactly good value. Every Mac I've had has benefited from it, except my MacBook Air which has not had a single problem.

If you're in the States (I see you're in Toronto, so perhaps a friend can help), B&H do a good price: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582542-REG/Apple_MC246LL_A_3_Year_AppleCare_for_MacBook.html

iAppl3Fan
Feb 24, 2013, 11:20 PM
Hey guys I have a 2011 Macbook Air 1.7GHz 4GB 256GB that I bought on Feb 29th 2012, wondering if I should buy AppleCare for it as its going to expire on Feb 28th (in 4 days).

Current State:
The MBAir works perfectly, only thing wrong with it is I have a crack in the screen that runs from right below the Camera all the way to the right bottom corner in sort of an L shape or more like below:

.....|
.....|
.....|
.......\
.........\
............\
..............\

The display works fine so far as well, this crack has been like this since November 2012, only time is fully visible and noticeable is when watching movies or viewing something with black background. I do have a screen protector on the MBAir which was applied since day 1 and that seems to have helped keeping things in tact.

I do understand AppleCare will not replace my screen as I have read many stories online about people having to pay up to $500-800 just to have a screen replacement, that is something I will definitely not even consider as its not worth it...I can find a used Macbook Air 2012 on Craigslist for about $1200...

Suggestions?

I bought that same laptop when new it first came out. Sold it 6 months or so ago for 1k. I wouldn't bother with apple care.

cjgonzales1900
Feb 25, 2013, 05:46 AM
I have a 2012 MBA and I bought apple care. If anything goes wrong that isn't user damage they will cover it. If you know anyone who is in education they can save you some money with a education discount. Just take them with you to the store and have them show their school ID.

77slevin
Feb 25, 2013, 07:02 AM
I bought my first MacBook Air in 2009 without Apple care. 2 weeks before my Air turned 3, my motherboard & memory gave out while on holiday. First thing I did when buying my new one was adding Apple care. Fool me once...

Mr-Kerrse
Feb 25, 2013, 07:13 AM
Home insurance ? Accidental damage is covered normally :confused: maybe that is just the UK

wolfpuppies3
Feb 25, 2013, 08:58 AM
Do it.

Muscle Master
Feb 25, 2013, 03:06 PM
do it.

do it!!!!