Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I finished a tedious, 3 hour long graphic design in Photoshop today. Started at 5, finished at 8. What do you think? It's Retina resolution.
2QISXYh.jpg

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
What do you think?

I'm curious why you describe it as "tedious". Three hours is not a lot of time to spend on a project.

Anyway ...

The type really, really needs help. The changing bevel is confusing. The font and color choice, uninspiring.

Question: why do you have a shadow underneath the prism, but not the type? The lack of consistency makes the two parts feel disconnected.

The color pyramids: pure red, green and blue are vibrant colors. I understand you're working with transparencies here, but those colors and shapes need to 'pop'. Right now it's too muted.

I really appreciate you bringing your work to the forum. Being critiqued is never an easy experience, but it will help you create better design.

Last edited:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I'm curious why you describe it as "tedious". Three hours is not a lot of time to spend on a project.

Anyway ...

The type really, really needs help. The changing bevel is confusing. The font and color choice, uninspiring.

Question: why do you have a shadow underneath the prism, but not the type? The lack of consistency makes the two parts feel disconnected.

The color pyramids: pure red, green and blue are vibrant colors. I understand you're working with transparencies here, but those colors and shapes need to 'pop'. Right now it's too muted.
What do you mean by the type? Thanks for the criticism :)
By tedious, I mean the longest I've ever worked on a render, three-fold.

Last edited:

lucasgladding

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
Waterloo, Ontario
I'll agree with citizenzen about the time spent. Your perspective changes as you get older. :) A couple weeks ago I spent 15 hours experimenting with the new renderer in Blender before starting a project, and I enjoyed every minute.

There is something going on with the renderer where the shadows are concerned, so that might be worth looking into. Which program are you using?

I agree about the "uninspired" comment, but that comes as you learn more about fonts. If the exercise is in 3D, I wouldn't worry about it.

The perspective is the reason for the other comment. You might want to try an isometric camera if that's available, or rotate the text so the perspective doesn't affect the weight as much.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I'll agree with citizenzen about the time spent. Your perspective changes as you get older. :) A couple weeks ago I spent 15 hours experimenting with the new renderer in Blender before starting a project, and I enjoyed every minute.

There is something going on with the renderer where the shadows are concerned, so that might be worth looking into. Which program are you using?

I agree about the "uninspired" comment, but that comes as you learn more about fonts. If the exercise is in 3D, I wouldn't worry about it.

The perspective is the reason for the other comment. You might want to try an isometric camera if that's available, or rotate the text so the perspective doesn't affect the weight as much.
Photoshop Extended CS6.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
What are you trying to accomplish? Is it a school project learning Photoshop or learning Photoshop in general?

Just experimenting with it. I followed a YouTube video tutorial to create the render.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
Just experimenting with it. I followed a YouTube video tutorial to create the render.

In that case, you should learn 3D programs like 3DS Max, Maya, Softimage, Cinema 4D, Lightwave etc. For "simple" renders like you posted, it'll take you a lot less time and far more accuracy with lighting and shadows.

It'll be worth it for your next "idea" as well since you need a mockup, schematics, and model for 3D printing.

Most have free downloads for you to try out.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
In that case, you should learn 3D programs like 3DS Max, Maya, Softimage, Cinema 4D, Lightwave etc. For "simple" renders like you posted, it'll take you a lot less time and far more accuracy with lighting and shadows.

It'll be worth it for your next "idea" as well since you need a mockup, schematics, and model for 3D printing.

I have a trial for C4D, don't understand the software at all. Know PS a lot better...

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

Anyway ...

Agreed. I could barely read it.

lucasgladding

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
Waterloo, Ontario

+1 for learning a 3D program. Blender has come a long way in the last couple years, and it's free, so it's another good candidate.

Using Photoshop for 3D is like using Word for logo design. If you have any interest in product design, learning some 3D is in your best interest.

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
The beveled text problem is, because you have the two words at different heights /angles, it makes it look like the text /words are sliding down a slope to your right.

Like someone else said make the pyramid pop but, try to work out what your pyramid is made out of first, then work from there to get your optimal result.

Instead of the shadow under the pyramid, I would try a bright colour to mimic a caustics type effect. Also your floor is reflective, so everything, including the text will be included in that global reflection.

Learning a 3d program is always a good move if you plan to move on from PS sometime.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I have a trial for C4D, don't understand the software at all. Know PS a lot better...

PS and real 3D aren't alternatives to one another. In a 3D worklflow, they compliment one another. You should know both. As far a specific 3D program, stick with c4d. It's the best choice for a designer's 3d program because A, it's really geared toward that, and B, it easier to learn than others. You can learn all you need about it on GreyScale gorilla with a lot of motivation.

In 3D, your work above would have taken like 15 minutes with accurate retractions and shadows. Also, it doesn't hurt to have motion design experience these days (with After Effects and c4d).

As for your work, it's a great start, but is like to see more contrast. Make the background nearly entirely white with just a hint if shading. It'll make your graphics easier to see.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I believe where most of the critique should be coming from is not "learn software" but "learn the craft". Agreed with all previous post, doing the rendered logo in 3d is faster if you have a bit of knowledge around C4D or 3DSMAX, though is really doesn't answer the question Squilly initially had.

My feedback, is it's obvious you know how to use the software and filters in Photoshop however is this the craft for the design or just plain tooling?

Personally I'd go with the latter, what you've achieved is tooling out a some type, where my critique would be is for understanding the craft of design.

Firstly before creating, gain an understanding of type it will improve the logotype to no end. I'd suggest if you're interested with the craft not the tool check out Smashing Magazine , I Love Typography , Brand New and Logo Lounge

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
I finished a tedious, 3 hour long graphic design in Photoshop today. Started at 5, finished at 8. What do you think? It's Retina resolution.

Several things jump out at me:

1. Is it PrisMART, Prism Mart or PrismART? If it's the latter, you need to rethink the font design. (Rethink the font too, what is that, Arial?)

2. The extruded type isn't working. Too much gray on gray and the angle of extrusion makes it look like the MART is curved.

3. Why does the type have a shadow but isn't reflected in the surface upon which it rests?

4. What are the shapes shown inside the red, green and blue elements supposed to be? They're distractions.

5. Too much background.

6. The reflection for the RGB elements is too long and indistinct.

7. Make the RGB elements more opaque so they stand out more.

8. If it were me, I'd strip out the 3d text effects entirely. Instead I'd go with a mirrored reflection. Since you don't have descenders in the name, it would work well.

9. The background transition from dark gray gradient to light gray gradient should be sharp, not fuzzy as you have it now.

10. Right now the proportions are wrong in that the RGB elements are too tall for the name's width. Make the name half again wider for starters (i.e., don't use a condensed face next time).

11. Three hours? Not bad for a very rough draft. If you spend the same amount of time for each of the next three drafts, you'll have something to be proud of.

MikBe

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
You can get free student versions of Autodesk's products (3ds Max, Maya, Mudbox, AutoCAD, etc.) directly from Autodesk:

http://students.autodesk.com/

They really want you to learn using their products so when you become a professional you'll buy their products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.