Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Hi

I have recently moved to Mountain Lion and am surprised to find this quirk.

When I purchase an APP on the APP Store, it asks for the system administrator Id and password (ok for admin reasons), then it asks for the icloud account (ok to pay).

Point is I should not be able to start the APP Store if the administrator does not agree to me installing anything. Sort of part of the "parental controls" section.

But the way it is done now is sort of last minute "ooops we forgot to tell you that the Admin has to agree".

I would have thought that this quirk was fixed in Mountain Lion.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
It is asking you for the admin password to install a new app. There's no reason to ask for that pw for simply opening an app on the machine.

FotoDirk

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
These are 2 different things.

When installing something on the machine you need administrator rights. So that is why they are asked. If you (or someone else) enters the correct userid and pw then the application will be installed.

Under parental control you can select normally which application is allowed to be used or not by the user. So there one can eventually select the applications that a user is allowed to start. Here one can set the app-store as an application that is not allowed.

I understand your point that the app-store is in principle useless if you do not have adminstrator rights. But I also use that approach on my Macs. This means that whenever new SW is to be installed that I have to enter the correct userid/pw. This is a trigger to start thinking. Did I really requested that some SW must be installed or not. It can help you not to install maleware without you knowing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.