Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hedleylammarr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Oxford, England
Afternoon all. I'm new to computing so please be gentle. Thanks

I don't have the internet at home presently for my iMac due to moving to a different ISP which is taking ages, so I use the personal hotspot from my iPhone via USB cable and it all works fine ... until last night

I downloaded 5 updates for the mac (I didn't update software for iPhone). I don't know what they all were but I think it was an update for iTunes & garage band (some loops). When these were installed I lost the hotspot. The iPhone is kicking it out the signal as it works through wifi but not USB.

I'm positive the updates have somehow stopped the mac picking up the signal. If I look into network settings the iPhone USB is showing as not connected? Either the cable for iPhone USB is not plugged in or the device is not responding.

Solutions I have tried so far -
Reset network and all settings on iPhone - No joy
Plugged it into playstation - works fine
checked & double checked network settings (assist me, diagnostics with no luck)
Changed USB cable for new one - still not picking up
I've not downloaded anything last night that didn't come from apple
Restored iPhone from an older backup (I have never backed up the iMac as don't have an external HDD)

Questions I have for you beautiful people -
Can I speak to apple about this through their website?
How do I find what updates were installed via 'software update'?
Why is it still picking up the personal hotspot through wifi but not USB?
The winning lottery numbers?

Can anyone help me at all?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The driver and support software that allows tethering on a Mac via USB is associated with itunes, so I'm pretty sure that updating itunes over the same connection it governs probably caused some issues.

Best bet is to find a Starbucks or some pother place with a WiFi connection you can borrow for a bit. Bring your mac there, connect to the WiFi, and go here:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Manually download and install the latest version of iTunes. Restart, and hopefully hotspot should work again for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.