Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which phone has superior capabilities?

• iphone has more abilities thanks to the apple ecosystem

Votes: 45 39.8%
  • iphone has more abilities without the need of the ecosystem

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • s3 has more abilities

Votes: 43 38.1%
  • s3 has more abilities but no one uses them (ex. NFC)

Votes: 12 10.6%

• Total voters

craftytony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
Ok, so admittedly I have only played with the S3/android a couple times but constantly hear that there are things that the S3 can do and the iphone cannot. I was hoping some S3 owners could give specific examples of the S3 abilities that the iphone is lacking. Please be specific.

And for all you iphone users, please respond with apps or ways to perform those same functions that are thought to be exclusive to the S3/android. Also, list off things our iphones can do that the S3 cannot.

And on a final note, since jailbreaking has become so easy these days, jailbreaking solutions will be allowed.

Oxonian3

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Trinidad
The S3 is more customisable in terms of operating system and apple's app store does have a wider range of apps compared to google play.

I have an iPhone 5 and i've used my friends S3. Both phones are EXTREMELY good and it just comes down to a matter of preference, no phone is really 'better' than the other.

craftytony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
I'm not trying to say which phone is better, just trying to determine what the S3 only functions are and the apps/work arounds the iphone has. ;)

tegedrex

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
Since the iPhone 5 is the newest iteration for Apple this "deathmatch should wait until the 14th of March" then it will be a more accurate heads up challenge. Especially since the S3 was released May of last year.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Since the iPhone 5 is the newest iteration for Apple this "deathmatch should wait until the 14th of March" then it will be a more accurate heads up challenge. Especially since the S3 was released May of last year.

While I agree with this, it's amazing to think Samsung has gotten to a point where their phone from last May still holds its own against Apple's most recent iPhone from September. As much as I like the iPhone, I'm still excited to see what Samsung brings with the GS4. (sorry, OP, for getting a bit off topic).

Last edited:

craftytony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
While I agree with this, it's amazing to think Samsung has gotten to a point where their phone from last May still holds its own against Apple's most recent iPhone from November. As much as I like the iPhone, I'm still excited to see what Samsung brings with the GS4. (sorry, OP, for getting a bit off topic).

No worries lol, still waiting for someone to post an ability the iphone can't accomplish....

On the hardware side, I can only think of one. If you prefer a large screen the S3 wins.

----------

Nah, the same could have been said when the 4s was out vs. the s3. Besides, I want to talk about the abilities everyone seems to talk about here and now, not new ones that the iphone 5s could be compared with ;)

coolhands

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
I think you're going to see quite a biased response since you posted this in an Apple forum. Just sayin'.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
According to me–and only ME–the iPhone 5 wins it.
Though I have to say I'm really impressed how quickly Android is catching up.

iPhone 5s (fall 2013) vs. Galaxy SIV (March 14) is going to be a tough one for Apple. If the iPhone 5s–and especially iOS7–isn't capable of pulling it off, I think this may be the beginning of Samsung's reign over the market.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
What's the point of this again? Is it that hard to choose a phone on your own? Go to the store and mess with them and pick one. People's experiences will always be different.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Ok, so admittedly I have only played with the S3/android a couple times but constantly hear that there are things that the S3 can do and the iphone cannot. I was hoping some S3 owners could give specific examples of the S3 abilities that the iphone is lacking. Please be specific.

And for all you iphone users, please respond with apps or ways to perform those same functions that are thought to be exclusive to the S3/android. Also, list off things our iphones can do that the S3 cannot.

And on a final note, since jailbreaking has become so easy these days, jailbreaking solutions will be allowed.[/QUOTE

Black IPhone 5 can shed its skin in little pieces.
S3 can crack it's screen because it wants to.
IPhone 5 can get you more lost than you already were.
S3 Doesn't like WiFi
Iphone 5 doesn't work as a pry bar
S3 is like a bar of soap, slippery
IPhone can't do Android
S3 can't do IOS
Try searching, this has been beat to death on the inner tubes :apple:

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
No worries lol, still waiting for someone to post an ability the iphone can't accomplish....

On the hardware side, I can only think of one. If you prefer a large screen the S3 wins.

I think the reason for this is because we're counting jailbreak tweaks as fair game. With that advantage, they're mostly even. If we were talking about stock iOS then it would be much easier to think of stuff the iPhone can't do compared to the GS3.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'm not trying to say which phone is better, just trying to determine what the S3 only functions are and the apps/work arounds the iphone has. ;)

What a complete fabrication your statement is. Perhaps you've forgotten the title you chose to pit one against the other. Chaos must have high value to you.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
What's on march 14?

Announcement of Galaxy S4.

Either way the current Galaxy SIII is obviously the flagship Android phone and is pretty much the iPhone that runs Android.

The most phones I see are

1) iPhone 4/4S
2) Galaxy SIII
3) iPhone 5
4) Other Android phones/Windows phones

In a couple weeks, I'm going to see if the Galaxy S4 can change my mind about Android. Jellybean 4.2 already has (its superior than iOS 6).

I feel Apple has to release more than just the iPhone 5S this year for me to upgrade.

We'll see.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
What a complete fabrication your statement is. Perhaps you've forgotten the title you chose to pit one against the other. Chaos must have high value to you.

Why do people always have to get so aggressive on this site?

Windows Expat

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Until 2 weeks ago, I was a long time Android user. Since the G1, in fact.

Overall, I'm happy with the switch. Here's a few things I miss:

-SMS Backup. My texts got backed up to a folder in Gmail (or whatever email account i setup) automatically. Sometimes people text me a number or and address I'd forget to put into my contacts. No sweat, because they were backed up. Can't seem to do that on an iPhone.

-Keyboard autofill. Type a few letters and 3 likely word options would appear over the keyboard. Saved a lot of time.

-Google Maps. Needless to say, they work better on Android. This is a big one.

-More functional notification tray. Included toggles for things like wifi, Bluetooth, etc.

-Overall, more apps (often free) that could replace stock apps (like text, email clients, etc) if you wanted to add features. This requires JBing on an iPhone.

Like I said, overall I'm good with the iPhone. But Android gets a lot of things right too.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

----------

Nah, the same could have been said when the 4s was out vs. the s3. Besides, I want to talk about the abilities everyone seems to talk about here and now, not new ones that the iphone 5s could be compared with ;)

I got you

Pop up video natively (watch a video while checking fb, email, text etc)
Swipe for screen shots
NFC (for various tasks and mobile payments)
Live wallpaper
Change your text app If you don't like it
Change your keyboard if you don't like the default and choose from like a million of em
Google now (siri on steroids)
Smart stay (keeps phone screen lit as long as you're looking at it)
Direct dial
Voice control for apps (take a picture by simply saying cheese, capture, or snap, when your alarm goes off, you can stop it or snooze it by just saying it, or while playing music, you can control the player with the commands play, pause, previous, next, volume up, and volume down. Very convenient while washing dishes or listening to music)
MicroSD card slot (add 64gb of storage for only 50)
All while operating flawlessly without a hiccup, smooth, lightweight, perfect sized screen,

It's what a SMART phone SHOULD be.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Are we debating a stock iPhone 5 and S3 or is rooting/custom roms and jailbreaking a factor?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Are we debating a stock iPhone 5 and S3 or is rooting/custom roms and jailbreaking a factor?

IMO, You could factor both jailbreak and root/custom roms and the GS3 still wins by a long margin with it comes to functionality and customizability.

Most of the jailbreak tweaks on iOS, the average android phone can do better on stock. When rooted with a custom rom, there's no comparison.

Specifically stock iP5 vs GS3, the GS3 exclusive features outweigh the iP5 exclusive features.

iOS wins at it's "no setup" automatic integration and ease of use. That's undeniable and something Apple's probably trying to hold on to, thus making it difficult to become more open and customizable as android. It will be interesting to see Apple's answer to all the competition, especially without Jobs.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
IMO, You could factor both jailbreak and root/custom roms and the GS3 still wins by a long margin with it comes to functionality and customizability.

Most of the jailbreak tweaks on iOS, the average android phone can do better on stock. When rooted with a custom rom, there's no comparison.

Specifically stock iP5 vs GS3, the GS3 exclusive features outweigh the iP5 exclusive features.

iOS wins at it's "no setup" automatic integration and ease of use. That's undeniable and something Apple's probably trying to hold on to, thus making it difficult to become more open and customizable as android. It will be interesting to see Apple's answer to all the competition, especially without Jobs.

Good points.

Another thing most people that haven't used Android much don't realize is that you can do tons of things WITHOUT rooting (I would classify rooting as the equivalent of jail breaking in the iOS world). You can use a completely different lock screen (something like Widget Locker), you can make any browser you like your default, you can add toggles for things like WiFi and Bluetooth to your notification area (if your phone doesn't already have them). Rooting just opens up another world of customization, but you can do tons of things without it.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Ill give you guys a quick example of what I did at work today with my 100% bone stock gs3.First we have 3 gs3s and a note 2 at work with 2 iphone 5s.

I downloaded django bluray rip off bit torrent and all the Samsung phones turned wifi direct on and I sent the movie to 3 phones at once and then also blasted the movie to our smart tv using dlna and let the others watch the movie also.

the movie was like almost 2GB and it sent it to all 3 phones in about 10 min

another example on my bone stock gs3,I have a super Nintendo emulator and I can play all my old school favorite games to my tv and I use a wireless ps3 controller to my phone threw blutooth.I just don't see ios ever letting you do things like that

this kid gets 3 ps3 controllers to work playing Mario kart 64 lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RO-mPyLZSM

I also use my gs3 as a media hub as I have it connected to my smart tv and I can sit on the couch and with my cell go threw all the computers in the house that are on our network and pick from the 100s of movies and shows we have downloaded and with the cell take the files threw the network and play them on the tv all wirelessly

this can all be done on the stock rom and I don't even want to start talking about what you can do once you start modding.

you can make your own kernel and get firmware and drivers for all the hardware on the phone,like change the voltages and clocks speeds and change modem firmwares etc to make the cell run faster and get better battery life.

when they say android is unlocked and open they mean legit down to the nand flash of the hardware of the device is and its open for you to molest it.I didn't like how my gps was working and I changed it to use sony satilites instead of the stock ones it was using lol after locking to different sats I got 5 meter better accuracy in my area

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.