Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmillar74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
Livonia, Michigan
Has anyone experienced an occasional flash of the white Apple logo while you are in the middle of doing something on your iphone? It isn't like rebooting but it flashes it momentarily. I have an iphone 5 and it has happened to me 2 or 3 times. I know of others that this has happened to as well. Anyone else?

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2013
We had this happen on a non-jailbroken 3GS on 6.1.1 last week. My fiancée was using the phone as normal and yelled at me when the white apple came up. I thought it had crashed and was rebooting, but it was back to the home screen already by the time I walked over - waaaay to fast to be a full reboot on a 3GS. :D

We skipped from iOS 4.x to 6.x, but I had never seen this before (even on 6.0.1) and haven't seen it again since (now on 6.1.2).

A springboard crash would seem to explain it...

SAS22

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
Jailbroken?

Springboard probably just crashed. You can confirm this in the diagnostics data under settings.

You were right, I checked it and it's been a springboard problem. It is possible to know why this has happened? My iPhone isn't jailbroken either.

Last edited:

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Have you tried a hard reboot (holding home and power till phone restarts) to see if the problem goes away? If not, a restore might be in order.

Springboard crash is kinda like a kernel panic. Could be software or hardware. You can post the crash log here but best thing to do is first reboot; see if problem goes away. If the problem still persists, restore and see if problem goes away.

If boot a reboot or a restore doesn't solve it, could be a hardware fault and you should have it checked.

SAS22

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
Have you tried a hard reboot (holding home and power till phone restarts) to see if the problem goes away? If not, a restore might be in order.

Springboard crash is kinda like a kernel panic. Could be software or hardware. You can post the crash log here but best thing to do is first reboot; see if problem goes away. If the problem still persists, restore and see if problem goes away.

If boot a reboot or a restore doesn't solve it, could be a hardware fault and you should have it checked.

I have rebooted the phone after that and it hasn't happened again, so I'm sure it's been a software problem, I was using WhatsApp when it happened. Also, it's been only one time. Thank you very much!

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010

Springboard crashing is nothing like a kernel panic. The system should be blue to recover from a Springboard crash without needing a reboot, so unless it's happening again and again don't worry about it. It's just like any other app crashing, it just happens to be the UI app. Just make sure you're set up to send diagnostics to Apple so they can look it over and fix it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.