PDA

View Full Version : [All iPads] Why is everone covering up their units?

Davidkoh
Feb 26, 2013, 01:37 AM
I really can't understand why people cover up their iPads with all kinds of things. I love the design and feel of the aluminium back and would never like to cover it up as I think that kind of destroys the feel of it.

I've got a smart cover to prop it up with and im getting a nice wool sleeve for when ill put the iPad in a bag with other stuff for a longer time like when I travel.

Can anyone explain exactly why you want to cover every inch if the iPad with plastic, leather or whatever.

imlovinit
Feb 26, 2013, 01:48 AM
I do it because **** happens and I rather be safe than sorry.

Don't get me wrong I totally love the naked feel because its a beautiful design but after accidentally dropping it..I'm not gonna risk anything anymore.

glen e
Feb 26, 2013, 08:17 AM
I really can't understand why people cover up their iPads with all kinds of things. I love the design and feel of the aluminium back and would never like to cover it up as I think that kind of destroys the feel of it.

I've got a smart cover to prop it up with and im getting a nice wool sleeve for when ill put the iPad in a bag with other stuff for a longer time like when I travel.

Can anyone explain exactly why you want to cover every inch if the iPad with plastic, leather or whatever.

travel with it, keep it more than a year and come back and tell us how it looks....c'mon, it obvious why we cover..aluminum scratches unless you live in a cave and take it nowhere...I could care less about the "feel and Look" of an ipad, it's a business tool for me...

Davidkoh
Feb 26, 2013, 08:32 AM
I do it because **** happens and I rather be safe than sorry.

Don't get me wrong I totally love the naked feel because its a beautiful design but after accidentally dropping it..I'm not gonna risk anything anymore.

Yeah, I guess drop protection does make sense.

travel with it, keep it more than a year and come back and tell us how it looks....c'mon, it obvious why we cover..aluminum scratches unless you live in a cave and take it nowhere...I could care less about the "feel and Look" of an ipad, it's a business tool for me...

But if you don't care about the looks, why do you care about if it looks scratched? Or do you think scratched plastic/leather or whatever looks better than scratched aluminium?

temna
Feb 26, 2013, 08:37 AM
But if you don't care about the looks, why do you care about if it looks scratched? Or do you think scratched plastic/leather or whatever looks better than scratched aluminium?

But it is easier and cheaper to replace a $50 cover vs a $800 ipad if it gets scuffed.

Davidkoh
Feb 26, 2013, 08:40 AM
But it is easier and cheaper to replace a $50 cover vs a $800 ipad if it gets scuffed.

If you don't care about looks you don't have to replace anything if it gets scuffed.

RenoG
Feb 26, 2013, 08:57 AM
If you don't care about looks you don't have to replace anything if it gets scuffed.

I think you have a point there....However I think glen is more concerned about keeping the thing from cracking and getting damaged which can affect his ability to use it as a work tool rather than simply trying to protect it from surface scratches.

Davidkoh
Feb 26, 2013, 09:05 AM
I think you have a point there....However I think glen is more concerned about keeping the thing from cracking and getting damaged which can affect his ability to use it as a work tool rather than simply trying to protect it from surface scratches.

Yes and I can agree to the whole cracking thing, my question then is how much extra protection do the standard cases actually provide from drops and such.

TJ61
Feb 26, 2013, 09:07 AM

That's assuming you'll never choose to sell it down the road. A large fraction of potential buyers WILL care how it looks.

I think the bigger question is "why doesn't everyone like exactly what I like, and think exactly how I think?" Everyone should know the reason to use a case is because without it the iPad mini (we do all have minis, right? why would anyone buy a full size iPad???) is too slippery to hold.

Regards,
Tom
p.s. ;)

zone23
Feb 26, 2013, 09:10 AM
I don't use a case for "drop protection" is you drop it, its gonna freaking break. Its mainly for scratches like when I'm outside, not so much when I'm in my house.

Oui
Feb 26, 2013, 09:12 AM
Lowers the risk of pregnancy and STD... Wait wrong unit.
Oops. :)

GerritV
Feb 26, 2013, 09:57 AM
I don't use a case for "drop protection" is you drop it, its gonna freaking break. Its mainly for scratches like when I'm outside, not so much when I'm in my house.

I respectfully disagree. My iPad once dropped out of my hands, landing straight on a corner. Fortunately, my Hex Folio case has a sturdy contour and the iPad survived the drop gracefully.
The case took a little work with a nail file though :-)
Since I too carry around my iPad constantly from home to work to clients into my convertible, it will probably drop again someday - no doubt. So there you have my reason to use a (bulky) case.

Binarymix
Feb 26, 2013, 10:05 AM
Pretty much because of resale value.

Sure you can still sell a scuffed up year old iPad, but you won't get as much for it as a pristine non-scuffed 1yr old iPad.

For people who like to be on the cutting edge, and get the newest iPad yearly (or bi-yearly if Apple keeps that up), it's nice to get as much as you can towards the new iPad by reselling the old.

zone23
Feb 26, 2013, 10:07 AM
I respectfully disagree. My iPad once dropped out of my hands, landing straight on a corner. Fortunately, my Hex Folio case has a sturdy contour and the iPad survived the drop gracefully.
The case took a little work with a nail file though :-)
Since I too carry around my iPad constantly from home to work to clients into my convertible, it will probably drop again someday - no doubt. So there you have my reason to use a (bulky) case.

Absolutely just saying you can't rely on a case keeping your device from breaking if you drop it.

AmyK
Feb 26, 2013, 10:52 AM
While I love a naked ipad... I also find that I wan't to sit at a certain angle... and the case takes care of that while offering some protection :)

takeshi74
Feb 26, 2013, 11:57 AM
Why is everone covering up their units?
Everyone is not. Some are, some are not.

I really can't understand why you assume that everyone else's preferences should fall in line with your own. Do what works for you but don't assume that your preferences are universal no matter what the topic.

Personal preference -- same reason why you don't want to.

But if you don't care about the looks
That's not what he meant. He doesn't agree that the iPad should be used naked as the "design and feel" that you prioritize aren't priorities for him in the same way that they are for you.

Yes and I can agree to the whole cracking thing, my question then is how much extra protection do the standard cases actually provide from drops and such.
Depends on the case. They're not all identical. How do you want us to quantify "how much extra protection"? No one has done any such tests.

iPusch
Feb 26, 2013, 12:04 PM
I would ****in hate me if I scratch my iPad anytime soon :(
I would cry -__- okk, I use it nude at home... it's home almost every time hehe

amazingamy
Feb 26, 2013, 03:01 PM
Well unless youre a millionaire, obviously because its easier to replace a case than to replace your ipad mini after you break it/scratch it!

You like the design and feel of it naked, but are you still going to love it when its all scratched up and dented?

Non-Euclidean
Feb 26, 2013, 03:03 PM

Drop it on a corner, and then wax poetically on the forums here about it.

Davidkoh
Feb 27, 2013, 12:16 AM
That's assuming you'll never choose to sell it down the road. A large fraction of potential buyers WILL care how it looks.

I think the bigger question is "why doesn't everyone like exactly what I like, and think exactly how I think?" Everyone should know the reason to use a case is because without it the iPad mini (we do all have minis, right? why would anyone buy a full size iPad???) is too slippery to hold.

Regards,
Tom
p.s. ;)

I was just interested in what peoples reasoning was, sometimes people do things without thinking about it. It's always interesting too see what people care about that you don't. Like the resale value.

Drop it on a corner, and then wax poetically on the forums here about it.

If I drop my iPad i'll just shell out the $150 my home insurance company wants to replace electronics and get a new one, and if they don't want to pay for some reason i'll justbuy one. It's not like you have to sell an arm to buy an iPad.

Binarymix
Feb 27, 2013, 08:36 AM
I was just interested in what peoples reasoning was, sometimes people do things without thinking about it. It's always interesting too see what people care about that you don't. Like the resale value.

If I drop my iPad i'll just shell out the $150 my home insurance company wants to replace electronics and get a new one, and if they don't want to pay for some reason i'll justbuy one. It's not like you have to sell an arm to buy an iPad.

Tell that to the kid in china who sold his kidneys for one ;)

Not everyone has the disposable income we do. Not even a moderate percentage I'd say.

temna
Feb 27, 2013, 08:13 PM
iPads are expensive. Upgrading is expensive. I will take my expensive toy and protect it's virgin state as long as possible. Imagine when you buy that new car and how crazy you get when you get that first scratch. That's how I feel, so I protect my toys.

davidinva
Feb 27, 2013, 08:18 PM
Unfortunately, I drop stuff. Padded case on my iPad, Griffin Survivor on my iPod.

jrtdot
Feb 28, 2013, 01:20 AM
I treat it like wearing clothing. Sure roam around naked inside just be careful when you go out, factors beyond your control can prevent nudity. Like people. And your own stupidity. Actually my stupidity.

glen e
Feb 28, 2013, 07:09 AM
My point is the OP likes to marvel at the "look and feel" of his pad. Cool. I could really care less, I expect nice looking stuff from Apple, after buying every pad they've made. It a business tool for me, like a Mont Blanc Pen. I rarely look at the pen's design, but that does not mean I don't want it protected, so it goes in a sleeve in my briefcase when not being used. Same with the pad. The back scratches if naked, on a road trip and business use. It breaks badly on a drop, when naked. It does not prop itself up on an airplane tray for movies when naked. It does not allow a typing angle when naked. Etc.. etc... I sell every pad for the new one, so I like it virgin when I sell it. It's that simple.

rockyroad55
Feb 28, 2013, 10:48 AM
Because its their money and their purchase. They can do whatever they want.

Luis2004
Feb 28, 2013, 10:52 AM
I see the OP's point. Just because something is expensive doesn't mean you have to protect it at all costs. My wife's diamond engagement ring isn't under a bubble. It's out there, being smacked around and scraped on a daily basis.

However, in my own case, I want to preserve the resale value as best as possible, so I don't want it all scratched up. That's really the only reason. Also, when I use my iPad, I spend more time looking at the screen than the back so I don't really care what I have on there.

TyPod
Feb 28, 2013, 11:40 AM
I use my iPad mini with just a Smart Cover and the back is definitely scratched. If these wear and tear marks bother you, I can totally understand why people like back protection on their iPads. Personally, I love the feel of just having a Smart Cover and nothing else, and the scratches on the back don't bother me one bit.

webslinger85
Feb 28, 2013, 07:37 PM
Personally, most of my iPad use is while laying in bed, or relaxing on the couch, i use my folio case solely as a hands-free solution for typing and watching videos.

I love the look and feel of the naked iPad, my case is for convenience

entatlrg
Feb 28, 2013, 09:11 PM
Too slippery.

Spink10
Feb 28, 2013, 09:25 PM
Naked - sleeve

Infinitewisdom
Mar 4, 2013, 04:47 PM
I just keep a clear back cover and a Smart Cover on mine. Why do I use those? Because I know I'm going to drop it or accidentally scratch it at some point. I like my devices looking pristine so I can sell them later and upgrade.

peapody
Mar 4, 2013, 07:51 PM
I like my devices looking pristine so I can sell them later and upgrade.

This.

glenthompson
Mar 5, 2013, 01:41 AM
I find the bare iPad too hard to hold comfortably. If the back was slightly textured so I could get a grip, I might leave it exposed. My case provides a secure grip.

TM WAZZA
Mar 6, 2013, 10:28 PM
I'll only cover it up with skins / films because it will still keep the "naked" profile meanwhile adding grip / scratch protection.

irDigital0l
Mar 6, 2013, 10:31 PM
Obviously for protection. Its easier to carry when going out to places. You can use it as a stand when you need to type.

So many reasons....

:rolleyes:

temna
Mar 6, 2013, 10:33 PM
I'll only cover it up with skins / films because it will still keep the "naked" profile meanwhile adding grip / scratch protection.

The Cover Buddy doesn't add much at all to the naked profile. A lil safety to protect my toy is worth a couple mm extra thichness.

pingfan59
Mar 7, 2013, 06:33 PM
I have used many cases for my iPad and over time, I have gotten less careful. Went with only a smartcover for awhile which resulted in the first scratching where the Smart Cover comes in contact with the iPad, of course I read to modify the smartcover with some slips of tape etc.

Now using a Zagg Pro Folio+ keyboard case because I got it at BestBuy for $30 instead of the $129. Actually like it.

I always use cases for my electronics (apple anyways) for resale value and I do not visually like scratches or wear and tear on anything that I have.

I am the guy who uses iron covers on his irons and cringes when hearing clubs smack together in someone's bag. Of course, I always make money when I sell my clubs for different ones.

TofSanity
Mar 7, 2013, 06:42 PM
i keep all my iDevices naked. i keep my iPhone 5 in my front pocket and my iPad mini in my back, well, i do have a smart cover on the iPad. I do this cause i like the look and feel...

Commy1
Mar 11, 2013, 04:03 PM
Resale value, grip.. and it's pretty.
When my iPad 4 is old I still want it to look decent so I can get some bucks for it. I usually use a keyboard case, it just so happens that it doubles as a cover.

MaloCS
Mar 11, 2013, 04:11 PM
I agree with the original poster. I know a guy that bought a heavy duty case and an over the shoulder bag to carry his iPad. The darn thing is just as cumbersome as a typical laptop to haul around.

I don't see the point in going to that type of extreme.

emptysoul
Mar 11, 2013, 10:04 PM
I use a smartcase so I can throw it in my bag without even thinking about what else is in there.

glen e
Mar 11, 2013, 10:25 PM
I agree with the original poster. I know a guy that bought a heavy duty case and an over the shoulder bag to carry his iPad. The darn thing is just as cumbersome as a typical laptop to haul around.

I don't see the point in going to that type of extreme.

None of that is what the OP said..

digglesworth
Mar 21, 2013, 12:20 PM
I got my first iPad yesterday and I have to say I didn't want to hold it until I got a case and screen protector for it. I don't want my rings to scratch the back up or the screen. Admittedly I only wear two rings. One is a silver ring and the other is my tungsten carbide wedding band. I also want to keep it in great shape so I can sell it later on to get my next iPad. I want to keep everything I own in the condition it was in the day I bought it.

Fattytail
Mar 21, 2013, 03:14 PM
It's not that I don't like the feel of a naked iPad (oooo, kinky), but I just don't want the darn thing scratched or chipped. I'm so clumsy sometimes that I will invariably drop my iDevices. So, why not just put on a Smart Cover and something nice, clear and thin for the back. I just got the Caudabe mini shell (http://www.caudabe.com/collections/ipad-mini/products/mini-shell) for my mini and I can barely even tell it's there. For the relatively minor cost, I don't see why not.

Now screen protectors - that's another story. I've gone without a screen protector on my iPads for a while now and couldn't go back. I just don't feel a need with the Smart Cover.

ninaco
Mar 21, 2013, 04:19 PM
I can't see using my iPad regularly outside a case. The iPad is easier to hold (albeit heavier) in the case. The case protects the iPad from scratches. And, my iPad has handled a couple of falls in the case. Plus, I like the hot pink color of the case. :D

After a year, my iPad 3 still looks new. And, I'd like it to stay that way regardless of whether I eventually sell it or gift it to a family member. Heck, as I use it, I'm happy that looks so great.

I consider my iPad LTE a major purchase. From my POV, it's common sense to protect it.

Luis2004
Mar 21, 2013, 04:33 PM
I got my first iPad yesterday and I have to say I didn't want to hold it until I got a case and screen protector for it. I don't want my rings to scratch the back up or the screen. Admittedly I only wear two rings. One is a silver ring and the other is my tungsten carbide wedding band. I also want to keep it in great shape so I can sell it later on to get my next iPad. I want to keep everything I own in the condition it was in the day I bought it.

When I bought my iPad 4 I didn't have a case for it either and so I just left it in its box until I found something I liked.

I also didn't want my ring to scratch it. My ring is a titanium ring. They told me it doesn't scratch, but it does. I also have a gold necklace that I never wear because it makes me look pimpish. But my titanium ring is my wedding band, so it's important to me even though it scratches easily. And I also have a pair of glasses that I like and wear when I'm sick of contact lenses. And I also have a watch that charges using the sun and doesn’t have a removable battery, and it’s silver-looking but I don’t think it’s real silver because it’s too light to be real silver.

Southern Dad
Mar 30, 2013, 02:45 PM
I love the look of a naked iPad but I also don't want mine scuffed or scratched up. I do have a case that I generally carry it in. Since, the iPad is always with me, it has become part of me, I want it protected.

dwaynewilliams
Apr 8, 2013, 01:45 AM
I put cases on all of my devices. I have a Griffin Survivor case on my iPhone 5 and a case on my iPad. I have small kids and they always handle my things. Cases is the only protection I have against them. I like the peace of mind as well. To be able to drop your iPad or iPhone and not worry that you will have to cough up hundreds of dollars to repair it is worth getting the case. Plus the cases make it easier to hold.

vmaniqui
Apr 8, 2013, 11:05 AM

Same thing as why do you wear clothes. You need to protect your assets. You don't want to get scratched up and all and exposed yourself to the elements.

hafr
Apr 10, 2013, 01:58 AM

Accidents happen, and with kids they tend to happen a bit more often. That's why I've got a Lifeproof Nuud case on mine. And I've noticed that I actually prefer the feel of it, I get a better grip and the extra weight is not an issue. Plus, I can let the kids run around and play with it without having to worry.

Don't get me wrong though, they're not "allowed" to drop it, but kids do drop things.

HiRisk
Apr 11, 2013, 12:36 AM

Why put your iPad in a nice wool sleeve?

Infinitewisdom
Apr 11, 2013, 10:13 AM
It's not that I don't like the feel of a naked iPad (oooo, kinky), but I just don't want the darn thing scratched or chipped. I'm so clumsy sometimes that I will invariably drop my iDevices. So, why not just put on a Smart Cover and something nice, clear and thin for the back. I just got the Caudabe mini shell (http://www.caudabe.com/collections/ipad-mini/products/mini-shell) for my mini and I can barely even tell it's there. For the relatively minor cost, I don't see why not.

Now screen protectors - that's another story. I've gone without a screen protector on my iPads for a while now and couldn't go back. I just don't feel a need with the Smart Cover.

I ended up getting this Caudabe Mini Shell, but on Amazon for a few bucks cheaper. Good quality product and again supports my point that you can protect your iPad while still keeping it light and looking good.

Accord3
Apr 16, 2013, 04:51 PM
My ipad 2 has been in its cheapo TeckNet case from Amazon since i bought it in June 2011. Ok the case is getting worn but the pad is prestine with no scratches or dents but it has saved me in the couple of times i have dropped it.

iamartimus
Apr 18, 2013, 10:11 PM
I dunno, I got a smartcover and a back cover to protect my mini from scratches and small drops. I dropped the mini, face down waist high, and it landed screen down on a rug. Screen shattered.

Fattytail
Apr 19, 2013, 03:50 AM
I dunno, I got a smartcover and a back cover to protect my mini from scratches and small drops. I dropped the mini, face down waist high, and it landed screen down on a rug. Screen shattered.

Was the Smart Cover covering the screen?

iamartimus
Apr 19, 2013, 01:57 PM
Was the Smart Cover covering the screen?

yeah, one of those freak accidents I guess. I knocked it off a counter and it fell perfectly flat on the rug and I hear a slight pop. I knew it shattered before I even picked it up.

On a side note, I went to the Apple Store to inquire about a possible out of warranty replacement.

Here's how it went....
This was a slow Saturday evening and I entered the front of the store and meet with an employee and inquire if Apple offers a replacement program or can repair my Mini. The guy tells me he doesn't know (Really?!) and refers me to another guy on the opposite side of the store. I find the guy and ask him about it and he said that they do have an out of warranty replacement program. Great!, how much? I dunno, maybe $120. Wait, I think it's $200, so you would have to pay the difference on a new Mini, but i'm not sure. I'm like, ok, so........and he just stands there.
Then I tell him about how the screen shattered, and midway through the end of my very short story, he starts walking away......wow. He left me standing there with my thumb up my a$$. Did I mention that it was a slow Saturday evening? There were more blue shirt employees than there were customers.
Not good.........

myrtlebee
Apr 20, 2013, 07:05 PM
yeah, one of those freak accidents I guess. I knocked it off a counter and it fell perfectly flat on the rug and I hear a slight pop. I knew it shattered before I even picked it up.

On a side note, I went to the Apple Store to inquire about a possible out of warranty replacement.

Here's how it went....
This was a slow Saturday evening and I entered the front of the store and meet with an employee and inquire if Apple offers a replacement program or can repair my Mini. The guy tells me he doesn't know (Really?!) and refers me to another guy on the opposite side of the store. I find the guy and ask him about it and he said that they do have an out of warranty replacement program. Great!, how much? I dunno, maybe $120. Wait, I think it's $200, so you would have to pay the difference on a new Mini, but i'm not sure. I'm like, ok, so........and he just stands there.
Then I tell him about how the screen shattered, and midway through the end of my very short story, he starts walking away......wow. He left me standing there with my thumb up my a$$. Did I mention that it was a slow Saturday evening? There were more blue shirt employees than there were customers.
Not good.........

That's when you say "Why are you walking away from me?" And it's also why I prefer doing things online or on the phone. Any out of warranty replacement or repair is usually pretty damn high from Apple to the point that you'd probably be better off selling it on eBay and using the cash towards a new one. Good luck

dwaynewilliams
Apr 21, 2013, 10:05 AM

Here's how it went....
Not good.........

That's horrible that they would just dismiss you that way. I haven't had that kind of experience when going to the Apple store, but I do know that it depends on what customer service representative you get that day. You should have complained to the manager. That is unacceptable service for any establishment.

vmaniqui
Apr 21, 2013, 12:10 PM
That's horrible that they would just dismiss you that way. I haven't had that kind of experience when going to the Apple store, but I do know that it depends on what customer service representative you get that day. You should have complained to the manager. That is unacceptable service for any establishment.

i find it fruitless complaining to a manager. customer service here is not the same as it was 10/20 years ago. be it apple/bestbuy or anywhere else. right now when you complain to someone it will just go to one ear and out to another ear. the best way is to be courteous and be calm. state your case in a mildly manner and 100% they will listen to you. but when you start complaining or talk in a higher tone, they will just ignore you. companies nowadays don't have the best customer service....

Nebulance
Apr 21, 2013, 12:20 PM

I used to have a cover on my iPhone 3GS, and the back got ruined because of it, which seems ironic. No cover on the 5, and it's in great condition -- no scratches whatsoever. I have a cover on iPad 3 just because I take it back and forth to work and that means it's sitting on a desk (with a rather rough surface) and in and out of my bag. I don't want the back to get scratched due to those things, so I keep a case on. I have been considering switching to just a smart cover though.

Maybe I'm a bit overbearing about keeping scratches off, but I like the device to be as blemish-free as possible

dwaynewilliams
Apr 22, 2013, 05:24 AM
I used to have a cover on my iPhone 3GS, and the back got ruined because of it, which seems ironic. No cover on the 5, and it's in great condition -- no scratches whatsoever. I have a cover on iPad 3 just because I take it back and forth to work and that means it's sitting on a desk (with a rather rough surface) and in and out of my bag. I don't want the back to get scratched due to those things, so I keep a case on. I have been considering switching to just a smart cover though.

Maybe I'm a bit overbearing about keeping scratches off, but I like the device to be as blemish-free as possible

I agree. I have had cases in the past that have scratched my phone. There is nothing more aggravating.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

SchneiderMan
Apr 22, 2013, 02:18 PM
Some cases enhance the usability of holding the iPad for long periods of time. Needless to say, protection.

opinio
Apr 23, 2013, 04:56 AM

you obviously don't have kids :)

dwaynewilliams
Apr 23, 2013, 01:30 PM
you obviously don't have kids :)

Exactly. Kids are good for breaking anything that can be broken. I have given up on the idea that I can keep my kids from my phone or iPad. Even though they have their own iPads, there seems to always be a situation where they get their hands on mine. At that moment, I would rather have some peace in knowing that my device(s) is protected than being susceptible to being destroyed by my children.

vmaniqui
Apr 24, 2013, 03:03 AM
You need to protect your investment.

Seamaster
Apr 24, 2013, 10:03 AM
Protection is one thing. Usability is another.

The full size iPad needs a case, because it's too heavy to hold one handed while typing/browsing, so needs some kind of way of being propped up into a usable position.

The iPad mini, however, can be comfortably held in one hand and navigated using the other, obviating the need for a case for this purpose. As a result, it's more likely to be used naked as nature intended.

I've owned both, and the mini wins for this alone. I only case mine when travelling, and purely for protection.

jassz39
Apr 26, 2013, 01:35 PM
It's always an arguing topic to put a case on or go naked with your device.

I almost hope there's some kind of wristlet or handstrap the ipads, just like how we hold our expensive camera. I think it will be a great idea, keeping it safe to hold while keeping it original without a case.
But if it's a scratches problem, that's another case to concern.

iPads are expensive. Upgrading is expensive. I will take my expensive toy and protect it's virgin state as long as possible. Imagine when you buy that new car and how crazy you get when you get that first scratch. That's how I feel, so I protect my toys.

agree...HAHA...I like how you described it.

everythingfun
Apr 26, 2013, 08:08 PM
One way is to put it naked in a sleeve when travel. Take it out when using or when you want to show off.

Geekbabe
Apr 27, 2013, 09:14 PM
We upgrade devices around here so frequently that we think of it as merely renting them instead of owning. A cover helps keep devices in pristine condition & makes selling them easier when we've finished with them.

ImpKali
Apr 27, 2013, 09:39 PM
Apple devices in particular have some of the best resale value of anything I've ever seen, and I love to capitalize on that whenever possible by doing what I can to keep them in pristine condition.

I'm thinking about compromising with the next cases I buy for my devices and getting something transparent.

fiction2040
Apr 29, 2013, 08:08 PM

I just watched my 2 yr old niece drop my sisters ipad on our slate floor and it actually landed on the top right corner, but amazingly, it survived with only a smell dent. Apparently, it has been dropped on numerous occasions.

pikkpoiss
Apr 30, 2013, 01:35 AM
Why use a case?
I use a very thin leather folio type case by Kavaj. It doesn't add much bulk and I actually like to hold it more while reading, reminds me of a real book. And I don't have to carry a separate sleeve for protection or smartcover for typing.
I don't mind scuffs too much, but I still wouldn't just throw my naked iPad in my bag. With the leather folio i don't need to give a second thought about what else is in my bag that could potentially damage my iPad.

Ann P
Apr 30, 2013, 01:51 AM
Probably an old thread but I am clumsy! Plus, most cases come with the built-in stand. Win win.

dwaynewilliams
May 2, 2013, 10:12 AM
Probably an old thread but I am clumsy! Plus, most cases come with the built-in stand. Win win.

I have yet to come across a case with a built in kick stand that has been durable and functional. What are you using?

bursthead
May 4, 2013, 08:28 PM
This whole thread can end now.

Just get apple care + and your covered. You can run your ipad naked and if it gets scuffed, cracked or whatever. Just pay the 50 and get it replaced.

temna
May 4, 2013, 10:40 PM

Just get apple care + and your covered. You can run your ipad naked and if it gets scuffed, cracked or whatever. Just pay the 50 and get it replaced.

Nice try, but you only get two replacements under Apple Care.

Toltepeceno
May 5, 2013, 11:35 AM

My way of thinking is that down the line I will probably sell the item and unscratched aluminum will get a better price to put toward the new one than scratched up stuff. Scratched up aluminum affects the resale value, a scratched up case can be removed prior to sale.

If I had piles of cash in a 1st world country I may not worry about it.

----------

You are assuming everyone lives in a 1st world country. In many places ipads cost more than in the US and people earn far less. Over 600.00 for an ipad where minimum wage is about 5.00 a day some would almost have to sell an arm.

Not everywhere is the US.

glen e
May 5, 2013, 11:50 AM
Beating a horse to death here....

Rediculous post to start.......very myopic

*~Kim~*
May 6, 2013, 03:36 PM
I store mine in a case as I don't want to scratch the back, but usually remove it from the case when I'm using it.

webslinger85
May 6, 2013, 08:12 PM
You are assuming everyone lives in a 1st world country. In many places ipads cost more than in the US and people earn far less. Over 600.00 for an ipad where minimum wage is about 5.00 a day some would almost have to sell an arm.

Not everywhere is the US.

You're also assuming everyone in the US can afford one like that. Some people just can't shell out the $$$ flat out and have to save for one. First World Country or not, not everybody earns high amounts of money.

fingg
May 7, 2013, 04:33 AM
I think, people afraid it's damage from drop or wet...:rolleyes:

h1r0ll3r
May 8, 2013, 11:48 AM
I care about appearance for personal/OCD reasons as well as for resale. I take great care of all my goodies (OCD) and knowing that, eventually, down the road I'm going to be selling it. The better condition the device is in will always help out on the resale side of things and, personally, I can't stand the appearance of dings/scratches/etc.

MUBiomed
May 8, 2013, 11:32 PM
I care about appearance for personal/OCD reasons as well as for resale. I take great care of all my goodies (OCD) and knowing that, eventually, down the road I'm going to be selling it. The better condition the device is in will always help out on the resale side of things and, personally, I can't stand the appearance of dings/scratches/etc.

I'll admit to horizontal upgrades just because I accidentally scratched the unit I am using and can't stand to see it every time I use the device.

boilerPete
May 9, 2013, 12:29 PM
I store mine in a case as I don't want to scratch the back, but usually remove it from the case when I'm using it.

Same here

takeshi74
May 9, 2013, 01:03 PM

If anything the thread should end with "do what works for you". Applecare+ isn't relevant to all the reasons posted. A couple of posts above yours mention a stand, for example. Nothing is one size fits all. If Applecare+ works for you, great. Stop assuming that it meets everyone else's needs/wants/priorities (same for any topic).

sracer
May 11, 2013, 06:44 PM

It's pretty simple. When an iPad gets scuffed... it's forever, unless some drastic steps are taken to remove the scuffs. With a case, one always has the option to remove the case and have it look good. Or to switch cases for a different look and feel. As for the feeling of the aluminum, I found it slippery.

What I ended up doing was using a smartCOVER (not to be confused with a smartCASE) and applying clear contact paper on the back carefully cutting out an opening for the camera lens.

It had a much more secure feel and didn't detract from the appearance... and still able to insert it into a case should the mood strike.

pod5g
May 16, 2013, 07:59 AM
Prevents scratches and provides safety.

WeegieMac
May 16, 2013, 08:33 AM
We paid a lot of money for our iPads and want to keep them in as good condition as possible, so if we want to put it in a case we will.

*Close thread

:rolleyes: