Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I've come across an original '98 Bondi-Blue iMac G3 in all it's original packaging etc. for a pretty decent price. It does not turn on - which doesn't bother me too much as it would be more a feature than a utility (however, it won't hurt ripping it open & seeing if I can fix it :p). Will a non-working iMac be worth anything in the future, the only reason I ask is due to the fact it comes in all of it's original packaging, as well as the fact it was the first model to come out of the factory. Thanks in advance.

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
Non working iMac

If its non working it better be cheap.

How do you know it's the first? I would think that would be a niche buy for someone if anything as they made as many as they could sell. I have an original (not boxed but complete for free for pickup).

If you do buy it, open it up and remove the most likely exploded pram battery. After that you'll need to start checking and replacing capacitors most likely. The power supplies are prone to failure.

Good luck.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I bought it. Just couldn't resist. And to my surprise, it works! It looks like it was stuck in a loft for some time & a mouse had gotten hold of the power cable. It was mashed up and obviously, not working. Just swapped it out for another & boom!

7_f.jpg

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
I bought it. Just couldn't resist. And to my surprise, it works! It looks like it was stuck in a loft for some time & a mouse had gotten hold of the power cable. It was mashed up and obviously, not working. Just swapped it out for another & boom!

img iz small.
Wow, nice deal! Seems pretty rare to get one in it's original packaging!

SuperPolli

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2013
New Jersey
Definitely!

It's a great buy! I have a Ruby iMac G3 Summer 2000 that works great except for a faulty AirPort card that I installed myself. It worked for a while but won't work now. Not a big deal because I have Ethernet. My neighbor has one that won't turn on. She says if I can fix it I can have it because it's been sitting broken for 6 YEARS! ...Challenge accepted...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.