Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Ireland
Hi all,

I have been battling with a problem, its driving me nutty........

As per the screenshot attached, my Hard drive is 1Tb, and Daisy Disk says it has 396 Gigs of Data on it.

Yet, my User file is only 160 Gigs approx?

Where are the rest of the files hiding and how can I clean them out before I transfer my data over to my new iMac which is on the way?

I could live without using Migration when the new machine arrives, but i do want to copy iPhoto, iTunes Music and Documents over, that's pretty much all I want to save.

Any suggestions as to how I can clean it all up ? Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 21.19.17.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 21.19.17.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 167

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Time Machine holds a full backup and the daily backup for as long as you use it. So say if you want a file from 6 months ago you can go get it. Go through the Time Machine Dock item and then see how far back do the backups go? If it goes back far, the more data that is backed up.

AidenL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Ireland
Thanks for that reply, but I'm really trying to free up space from the ''ghost / invisible" files on my hard drive.

Any ideas? :)

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Thanks for that reply, but I'm really trying to free up space from the ''ghost / invisible" files on my hard drive.

Any ideas? :)

Yes. If you visit web sites a lot then in Safari go to the menu item named 'Safari' and choose to clear history and web site data (web cache). Do this about once every 2-3 months to keep web surfing cache it check.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion/ML storage tab is about, this may help explain:
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
Freeing up space in Mac OS X

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.