PDA

View Full Version : Quicktime Export to iPod 320 x 240

acousticvibes
Oct 14, 2005, 03:47 PM
With my antisipation building for the new video iPod, I am trying to convert (export) some of my quicktime movies to the correct size to fit the iPod. I am using the suggested export size in Quicktime Pro 7.0.3 (the "Movie to iPod (320 x 240")), but it is exporting at snail speed, sometimes even failing to export completely on short, 10 second clips. My goal is to export full length movies to the iPod, but right now this seems shady.

Anyone else experiencing these problems? Any suggestions on improving exporting speed or suggestions on how to actually sucessfully export a video?

Thanks a lot! I'd appreciate any discussion!

John

johnbro23
Oct 14, 2005, 04:03 PM
Yea, I'm experiencing the same problems. Although I haven't gotten my iPod video yet, I'm already starting to get my video ready and in that resolution. I've already set up my EyeTV to record some things in 320x240, but I have a lot of existing material in a higher res.

I tried ripping a high resolution 2 hour long .avi file to 320x240 h264 overnight in Final Cut Pro, and in the morning it said it still had 5 days left, so I just cancelled it.

So... I'm also looking for a way to rip to iPod res... can anyone help us? :confused:

madmaxmedia
Oct 14, 2005, 04:09 PM
Stop using that Quadra... ;)

What computers are you guys using? I know H264 takes a lot of power but I thought other people were not taking so long...

Maybe try HandBrake and see what happens.

Nermal
Oct 14, 2005, 04:10 PM
It took around half an hour to encode a 4-minute music video on my 2 GHz G5. No Quadra here! :eek:

dejo
Oct 14, 2005, 04:17 PM
It took around half an hour to encode a 4-minute music video on my 2 GHz G5. No Quadra here! :eek:

What was the resolution (and size) of the source music video? Just curious.

pdpfilms
Oct 14, 2005, 04:38 PM

Holy crap. This is scary...

pyrotoaster
Oct 14, 2005, 04:39 PM
That's definitely weird.

FYI: I'm using the latest Handbrake beta and it's working great. I'm ripping the first season of Arrested Development into H.264 mp4 right now. It's taking about an hour and change per ep.

dejo
Oct 14, 2005, 04:42 PM
That's definitely weird.

FYI: I'm using the latest Handbrake beta and it's working great. I'm ripping the first season of Arrested Development into H.264 mp4 right now. It's taking about an hour and change per ep.

I can Handbrake-encode a ~22min episode of The Simpsons or South Park on my dual 2GHz G5 in about 15 minutes.

pyrotoaster
Oct 14, 2005, 04:46 PM
I can Handbrake-encode a ~22min episode of The Simpsons or South Park on my dual 2GHz G5 in about 15 minutes.
My envy knows know bounds. I'm ripping DVDs on a 1GHz G4 iMac. :p

Nermal
Oct 14, 2005, 04:58 PM
What was the resolution (and size) of the source music video? Just curious.

Standard MPEG-2 from a PAL DVD, 201 MB.

johnbro23
Oct 14, 2005, 05:01 PM
Isn't handbrake only for DVD ripping?

I have some .avi, .mov, and .mpg files on my computer that I want to convert to 320x240 h264. How can I do that?

acousticvibes
Oct 16, 2005, 02:56 PM
Yea I have the iMac G5 and still, It it taking days to convert this stupid video

Rediculus

I dont know what to do.

GroundLoop
Oct 16, 2005, 03:56 PM
Does anybody else think that the video-enabled iPod is just a clever ploy by Apple to get Mac users to upgrade their computer hardware? It seems like it is surprising people just how much horsepower is needed to rip and encode video.

I enjoy a little conspiracy theory.

Hickman

snowmoon
Oct 16, 2005, 04:05 PM
Does anybody else think that the video-enabled iPod is just a clever ploy by Apple to get Mac users to upgrade their computer hardware? It seems like it is surprising people just how much horsepower is needed to rip and encode video.

I enjoy a little conspiracy theory.

Hickman

Not really... going back YEARS video encoding has always been 1-3x realtime for whatever is the "cutting edge" video codec. I've been doing encoding and it never seems to get any quicker over the years dispite the advances in hardware.

TheMonarch
Oct 16, 2005, 04:17 PM
People, people. Lets not forget that the iPod can also decode MPEG4 video. Last time I checked, it was a great codec and non-CPU-rapist. Considering the iPod has 60GB of space, the increased video size resulting from an "old codec" is not much of a problem.

My 2 cents.

Moria
Oct 16, 2005, 04:46 PM
I used a random program I found on Google to convert an avi music video to a .mov file. Only took 2 mins or so but it did treble the size of the file...

biohazard6969
Oct 16, 2005, 05:01 PM
so for the new ipod, the video resolution has to be 320x watever it was? no more no less? shouldn't appele make an app specially to do this cause i can see this being a HUUUUGE dissappointment and hassle to do

TrenchMouth
Oct 16, 2005, 05:16 PM
the reason people here are having such a problem with the encoding process is that you are taking something that has already been incoded in another lossy type format, as opposed to direct from a vob file and such.

if you take an mpeg4 video and ask final cut to turn it into an h264 its going to turn that video in to a raw video file and then transcode it, not just go from mpeg4 to h264 directly...so yeah, its going to take forever. if you have commercial prodcut (movie or tv show) on your computer then it stands to reason that you might have the dvd lying around somewhere...Grab that and have handbreak encode it the right way from the getgo. Besides, going from avi, or mov to h264 would be like going from mp3 to aac....more loss.

thats my two cents, and it is only an observation, i do not rule out the fact that there are many things about file formats that i do not know.

i would like to add a question to this thread. I would like to encode some movies to the appropriate sizes direct from dvd. the video ipod has a max of 320x240 for h264 and that is the native size for the display as well. but on the info page at apple they say that the ipod can also play mpeg4 at a maximum of 480x480...so if i rip a movie that was in wide screen format is the ipod going to add the black bars itself or am i going to have to do that so as to not get a messed up picture? this could be great for some tv shows...but i am still trying to figure out some of the murky ground here...

scottie924
Oct 23, 2005, 12:16 AM
I am using handbrake and when I am encoding to MP4, it stops at 1 second left with 100% done then freezes. Any ideas why? I have tried it 5 times, each time taking close to three hours and only once did it compleate. I am ripping it from the .VOB file on my computer or directly off the DVD. It doesn't seem to matter which one I try using.

kugino
Oct 23, 2005, 12:46 AM
I am using handbrake and when I am encoding to MP4, it stops at 1 second left with 100% done then freezes. Any ideas why? I have tried it 5 times, each time taking close to three hours and only once did it compleate. I am ripping it from the .VOB file on my computer or directly off the DVD. It doesn't seem to matter which one I try using.
in my experience that last 1 second sometimes takes a long time. usually handbrake will finish the job, you just have to let it sit for awhile. i just run it overnight and it's done the next morning - even 2-pass h.264 jobs.

MacTruck
Oct 23, 2005, 01:16 AM
Yeah, it is the suck. I have been waiting for this rip to end forever now. Trying to encode a 2hr movie (Superman II) to the ipod. I don't have one just want to see how it looks on my tv before I buy one. Anyway its taking FOREVER, still isn't done.

madmaxmedia
Oct 23, 2005, 01:58 AM
i would like to add a question to this thread. I would like to encode some movies to the appropriate sizes direct from dvd. the video ipod has a max of 320x240 for h264 and that is the native size for the display as well. but on the info page at apple they say that the ipod can also play mpeg4 at a maximum of 480x480...so if i rip a movie that was in wide screen format is the ipod going to add the black bars itself or am i going to have to do that so as to not get a messed up picture? this could be great for some tv shows...but i am still trying to figure out some of the murky ground here...

Okay, the 480 x 480 thing is kinda weird. I am pretty sure the limit is actually 480 x 480 pixels= 230,400. So if you want to rip a widescreen movie you can do 640 x 360 (which is actually exactly 230,400 as well), or adjust a bit so you're not over 230,400. For TV aspect ratio, you can't go as high as 640 pixels wide. I have successfully played 640 x 360 content on my iPod, so I know that works (not sure of exact y resolution, but it was pretty close- maybe 640 x 320).

You don't need to add black bars or anything like that, the iPod will display the content correctly. Let's say you rip a movie at 640 x 360. The iPod will show a letterbox image with proper proportions. You can also adjust the settings so it 'magnifies' the image so there are no black bars, but picture on the sides is lost. Kinda like pan & scan, without the panning...

bepster
Oct 23, 2005, 08:33 AM
oh, 640x360 would work??
but in that case not h.264, right?

what should I use, mp4 or mov???

and madmaxmedia, what did you use? ffmpegx??

freeny
Oct 23, 2005, 08:50 AM
Okay, the 480 x 480 thing is kinda weird. I am pretty sure the limit is actually 480 x 480 pixels= 230,400. So if you want to rip a widescreen movie you can do 640 x 360 (which is actually exactly 230,400 as well), or adjust a bit so you're not over 230,400. For TV aspect ratio, you can't go as high as 640 pixels wide. I have successfully played 640 x 360 content on my iPod, so I know that works (not sure of exact y resolution, but it was pretty close- maybe 640 x 320).

You don't need to add black bars or anything like that, the iPod will display the content correctly. Let's say you rip a movie at 640 x 360. The iPod will show a letterbox image with proper proportions. You can also adjust the settings so it 'magnifies' the image so there are no black bars, but picture on the sides is lost. Kinda like pan & scan, without the panning...
thank you madmax. its just sad that you had to post this info again. people dont seem to search the threads around here. this has been posted for days now. there are MULTIPLE threads on this site about this and a new one seems to pop up every day asking the same questions over and over.

madmaxmedia
Oct 23, 2005, 01:38 PM
oh, 640x360 would work??
but in that case not h.264, right?

what should I use, mp4 or mov???

and madmaxmedia, what did you use? ffmpegx??

So far, I've just done some testing with HandBrake on DVD's. For DVD's, that is very easy to use, with only a couple of settings to use.

H264 can only be 320 x 240. It is a more efficient codec than MPEG4, but takes more HP to encode and decode. So for 320 x 240 video, you might get better image quality:size ratio with H264, but it seems to take much longer to encode, and there are some unclarified issues with compatibility right now (which in the next few days will get solved.)

For fater and still good quality 320 x 240, MPEG4 is pretty close in quality and is faster to create videos. For larger sizes, MPEG4 is the only option (and works quite well.) Ripping DVD's with HandBrake to 640 x XXX is really easy. For 2.35:1 movies, you can actually go to 720 x 306, which is essentially DVD resolution.

madmaxmedia
Oct 23, 2005, 01:42 PM
thank you madmax. its just sad that you had to post this info again. people dont seem to search the threads around here. this has been posted for days now. there are MULTIPLE threads on this site about this and a new one seems to pop up every day asking the same questions over and over.

No prob. I've been so impressed with the iPod's ability to output higher res MPEG4, I don't mind helping people understand. Especially because Apple's specs are not very clear, and even some good reviews don't really go into this (because they didn't know that great higher-res MPEG4 is possible.)

OP (snowmoon) actually deserves all the credit, he made some great test clips to try out.

I think Apple didnt make a big deal out of this because, well, it basically encourage illegal circumvention of DRM. Apple also wanted to focus on the iTMS store content (and rightfully so.) To be honest, I was also impressed with the H264 320 x 240 playback on my analog 36" TV. That's still a pretty big image, and it's a Panasonic Tau (similar to the analog Sony WEGA's.)

But I am just using composite RCA video from my iPod. With a dock and s-video, the higher-res MPEG4 should look even better.

chaos86
Oct 23, 2005, 02:01 PM
my guess is it has less to do with resolution and more to do with kbps (video + audio). of course there must be a max resolution that that little video decoder chip can handle, but the more obvious restriction would be the actual throughput the chip has to deal with.

i dont have a video ipod, if someone wants to test this, try encoding at 15 fps but a higher resolution than works at 30 fps. might be an interesting way to get better resolution at lower frame rate. i know that, when using a projector, you can go as low as 20 or 15 fps because of the residual light effect.

bepster
Oct 23, 2005, 02:16 PM
mh, I think you're right there, madmax!
apple didn't make a big deal out of it..

...when I was thinking about the fact that QT pro is so slow, one thought stroke my mind:

does apple want to make the conversion of bigger files like for example movies as hard as possible??

I don't know but I really hope that there will be a special app out soon for conversion to ipod...

ironmaiden5536
Dec 3, 2005, 12:13 PM
use ipod videora to convert most things to ipod format
http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/
it works great

chaos86
Dec 3, 2005, 01:51 PM
use ipod videora to convert most things to ipod format
http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/
it works great

...most of us are here because we are trying to get away from windows. this software is windows only.

Linkjeniero
Dec 3, 2005, 03:48 PM
...most of us are here because we are trying to get away from windows. this software is windows only.

I think that's relevant anyway. Even though we are in a mac forum, this is the iPod & iTunes section, and some people can benefit from that info. I for example, use my PowerBook as my main computer but I have a PC sitting next to me, so I can use that program to rip my DVDs in the PC (wich has a lot more HP than my PB).

bousozoku
Dec 3, 2005, 03:59 PM
Scary to see the results here.

I took a fully functioning QuickTime movie of a 320x240 music video and exported it for iPod. The result worked in iTunes but there was no sound.

With everything that's been happening, I think Apple will be producing a few bug fixes and code optimisations for the export feature.

chaos86
Dec 3, 2005, 05:41 PM
The result worked in iTunes but there was no sound.

i had that problem too, every time.

Linkjeniero
Dec 3, 2005, 07:00 PM

I took a fully functioning QuickTime movie of a 320x240 music video and exported it for iPod. The result worked in iTunes but there was no sound.

With everything that's been happening, I think Apple will be producing a few bug fixes and code optimisations for the export feature.

Did you remember to change the sample rate of the sound to 48000? I think it's the only sample rate that's supported for video in the iPod (plus, it has to be under 160 kbps). I could be mistaken though. In my case, I've encoded a few movies, and they play just fine.

chaos86
Dec 3, 2005, 09:47 PM
Did you remember to change the sample rate of the sound to 48000? I think it's the only sample rate that's supported for video in the iPod (plus, it has to be under 160 kbps). I could be mistaken though. In my case, I've encoded a few movies, and they play just fine.

if he's got the same problem as me, it's nothing to do with the ipod. qt pro actually ignores the audio tracks and produces a mute file. as in, no little sound meter things to the right of the progress bar, no soundtrack whatsoever. i dont even have a 5g ipod yet.

Ubuntu
Dec 4, 2005, 08:26 AM
I use Podner. I have Quicktime Pro, but I use it for other things so it wasn't a waste, as it's conversion utility for the iPod sucks. You'll find that most non-iTunes music videos won't have any sound if you use Quicktime. I recommend Podner, it's good, you have to pay a bit though.

I think iSquint is adequate, and free, though.

devman
Dec 4, 2005, 08:46 AM

Was the input file mpeg muxed? If so, QT cannot transcode audio from a muxed mpeg.

devman
Dec 4, 2005, 09:03 AM
mh, I think you're right there, madmax!
apple didn't make a big deal out of it..

...when I was thinking about the fact that QT pro is so slow, one thought stroke my mind:

does apple want to make the conversion of bigger files like for example movies as hard as possible??

I don't know but I really hope that there will be a special app out soon for conversion to ipod...

I think a lot of the comments are just down to not comparing like for like.

The QT Pro iPod export goes for the best quality converted file - dual pass, etc. It also is a H.264 encode and H.264 takes a lot of time and cpu.

Some are using Handbrake but are encoding mpeg-4 - which is a much faster encode than H.264. And then you get some of these people posting in with times for a Handbrake mpeg-4 encode that's only a one pass encode and thus you get the "Handbrake took 5 minutes where QT Pro took an hour."

Now, I'm not saying this is the case for every post and every person, but there has been a lot of it and it has led to some confusion about what's really going on.

Then, you have other details such as a H.264 file must be 320x240. A larger size will not play on the iPod. An mpeg-4 file can be larger and will play on the iPod. Back to H.264, it must be baseline profile to work on the iPod. And finally, you also have the max bandwidth. If you're playing with different settings in Handbrake and you exceed the magic bandwidth number (which I forget right now and I'm too lazy to go look it up) then you also get files that don't play.

Bottom-line, the QT Pro export option is the simple, easy to use option with three considerations. 1. It takes time (with good reason - h.264, dual pass, etc.). 2. You have to buy it. 3. muxed mpeg files cannot be converted and preserve the audio.

If you have the need and desire to go beyond the simple QT Pro function, then Handbrake and VLC are two very useful options. With all their added functions comes added complexity.

chaos86
Dec 4, 2005, 10:59 AM
isquint is the best i've seen. simple enough for me but gives options too.

KKKL
Dec 4, 2005, 09:12 PM
simply try this
Nero Digital Pro
I can convert video to mp4 format
faster and more video types suopport than qt

but it only export to mp4 and mp4 with H.263, not H.264