Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mokyun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
Hello macforums. My MacBook Air 2011 is having an issue with its keyboard. The issue is that a few keys are unresponsive and stop working then start working again. Then it repeats. It's really frustrating when trying to type something and my 1, a, q and backspace don't work. (Yes those are the keys that fluctuate in responsiveness.) There had been no sort of water damage or anything like that. This problem could simply be a hardware issue but if any other forms of problems that even slightly pertain to this issue; please let me know! Thanks for reading this lengthy post~ oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my password uses the 1 key. Annnnd it kinda sucks not to be able to log in sometimes...

Also good to note that when I am on bootcamp, the keyboard works perfectly fine. I really don't know what could possibly be wrong!

Edit:
Ok bootcamp is not doing my keyboard justice no more... Now i really don't know what could possibly be wrong!

Last edited:

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey
You should probably change your password so it doesn't have a 1… if it doesn't work in OSX or Windows then its probably a hardware issue. Gotta take it in to Apple and have them check it out for you. Hopefully you still have AppleCare

ahermann

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2013
Hi. Did you have any luck in solving this problem? I have a similar problem of non-responsive keys, and those also are "a", "1" and backspace.

I still did not have time to go to Apple Service to have them check it out.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I had a similar issue. I tried all of the keyboard suggestions on the forums and nothing worked. Took it in and they had to replace the keyboard. They kept trying to suggest that I spilled liquid on it and that they would know once they opened it up which was extremely annoying since that absolutely did not happen. Took about 5 days for the service under warranty or else the fee was $180.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.