PDA

View Full Version : iPod now does voice recording in stereo

motulist
Oct 14, 2005, 04:16 PM
I just noticed this, the iPod now does voice recording in stereo, or so the specs say. Thought I'd pass it along in case anyone didn't notice. Or maybe it's just a poorly worded item that means something different.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

pdpfilms
Oct 14, 2005, 04:25 PM
I just noticed this, the iPod now does voice recording in stereo, or so the specs say. Thought I'd pass it along in case anyone didn't notice. Or maybe it's just a poorly worded item that means something different.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

Good find, and a cool upgrade... but why on earth would we need stereo voice recording? So that i can bob from side to side and hear it when I play it back? Umm... I hope it's for some new feature.

Shasta
Oct 14, 2005, 04:35 PM
or you could go to a concert and record it to listen to it later

shasta

pianojoe
Oct 14, 2005, 05:03 PM
Just read my signature to learn why stereo recording is essential.

motulist
Oct 14, 2005, 05:05 PM

So does this mean you're now more likely to make your next mp3 player an iPod?

solvs
Oct 14, 2005, 05:27 PM
or you could go to a concert and record it to listen to it later
I've hear rumors that this is why it was disabled. Don't know if it's true, but sounds about right. If true, suck it RIAA! :p

Loge
Oct 14, 2005, 05:43 PM
Just hope someone is working on the appropriate accessories so we can attach our mics. Then it's goodbye minidisc. :p

Jovian9
Oct 14, 2005, 06:09 PM
They definitely need new accessories to record now.....the iTalk will not work with the video iPods.

pdpfilms
Oct 14, 2005, 06:16 PM

That makes no sense.

CanadaRAM
Oct 14, 2005, 06:20 PM
No No, the real news is that it now records at up to 44.1 KHz, previous versions were limited to something horrible like 8 Khz or 16 KHz which is unusable for music.

asherman13
Oct 15, 2005, 08:14 PM
ok, just for clarification, i'm new to the whole voice recording thing...

the new ipod can record voice stuff, but needs accessories (which don't exist yet, due to the elimination of the remote jack), and there's now something new about it (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/why-podcasters-and-bootleggers-will-love-the-new-ipod/). am i right?

EDIT if not, how do you record?

TheMonarch
Oct 15, 2005, 08:18 PM
Install linux on your ipod and its possible to record at up to 96KHz (mono) using your left earbud. Why would anyone need stereo recording on their ipod, I don't know. But I guess its nice to say "I could if I wanted to" :p

toughboy
Oct 15, 2005, 08:24 PM
I'm an ex-owner of a 3G iPod and now I have an original b/w 4G iPod. With the 3G, recording was awful using Belkin's voice recorder adapter. But with 4G, things have changed tremendously. I even record music and put it into Garageband for track recording and later editing.

The problem is that Belkin's recorder does not work with new iPods. We urgently need a voice recorder that plugs into the dock port.

jiv3turkey748
Oct 15, 2005, 08:55 PM
voice recording has always been a feature ipos have been lacking most other mp3 players have had voice recording functions forever

Counterfit
Oct 15, 2005, 09:07 PM
Install linux on your ipod and its possible to record at up to 96KHz (mono) using your left earbud. Why would anyone need stereo recording on their ipod, I don't know. But I guess its nice to say "I could if I wanted to" :p
I listen to a podcast (http://herroflomjapan.com) where the other uses two binaural mics while walking down the street in Toyko. It's a great effect.

toughboy
Oct 15, 2005, 09:33 PM
Since the next voice recorder adapter will be pluged in from dock connector of the iPod, it will be weird to hold the iPod upside down while recording something..

On the other hand, maybe iPod has its own little stereo microphone inside.. So the problem is solved from the start.

Josh396
Oct 15, 2005, 09:44 PM
On the other hand, maybe iPod has its own little stereo microphone inside.. So the problem is solved from the start.
That would be neat but I doubt it.

toughboy
Oct 15, 2005, 09:56 PM
That would be neat but I doubt it.

I doubt it too because they would have promote it while talking about specs in the Media Event.

But still, why would they write that to technical specs of iPod?