Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boomerang12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
I just had a quick question regarding putting an iOS app on the App Store: We would like to register it as a company rather than as an individual so our personal information won't be online for all to see. Do you guys suggest we set up an LLC or Sole Proprietorship. From what I've read, LLC seems to be the way to go. I just wanted to see if we really needed to set up an LLC just to put an app on the App Store...

And is there a possibility of registering with D&B as a Sole Proprietorship first to get a DUNS number then changing to an LLC later on because I think an LLC takes longer and we would like to launch fairly soon.

Thanks for the help!

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I just had a quick question regarding putting an iOS app on the App Store: We would like to register it as a company rather than as an individual so our personal information won't be online for all to see. Do you guys suggest we set up an LLC or Sole Proprietorship. From what I've read, LLC seems to be the way to go. I just wanted to see if we really needed to set up an LLC just to put an app on the App Store...

And is there a possibility of registering with D&B as a Sole Proprietorship first to get a DUNS number then changing to an LLC later on because I think an LLC takes longer and we would like to launch fairly soon.

Thanks for the help!

The risk of liability with a software developer is significantly lower than other industries, but it's still there.

LLC is typically the way to go unless there is a special need regarding taxes or ownership interests. If you are unsure you should really consult an attorney.

My wife is a professional photographer and she is set up as an LLC. Pretty effortless, though to do it right you really need an attorney and a tax professional. Though naturally, that might be outside of the budget of just a single individual wanting to publish a small app or something! But filing the LLC yourself isn't hard, but I would seriously consider consulting an attorney if you end up with any significant income from the app, to ensure you are legally protected and your filing your taxes correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.