PDA

View Full Version : MainStage Users?

bwhli
Feb 27, 2013, 01:53 AM
Any MainStage users here? I'd be interested to hear about how you guys use it in live performance.

rcanpolat
Mar 13, 2013, 08:59 PM
Any MainStage users here? I'd be interested to hear about how you guys use it in live performance.

ive only used it in my bedroom. I ran in through a line 6 toneport and back out through the toneport into my peavey 6505+ on the fx loop on the return (bypassing the preamp) then the post amp gives volume and final tonality. i know it works for some bands but for me as a musician.. no chance in hell i would take it on stage without a bucket load of backup gear and engineers watching the apps for me. i wouldn't trust it to just leave it there. too many times i've heard clips and audio latency and stutters because my mac decided to start reindexing or was already over loaded and something automatically started up maxing out the cpu and killing the sound.

and nothing beats a nice tube amp and decent rack effects anyway

thats what i think.

bwhli
Mar 14, 2013, 03:04 PM
ive only used it in my bedroom. I ran in through a line 6 toneport and back out through the toneport into my peavey 6505+ on the fx loop on the return (bypassing the preamp) then the post amp gives volume and final tonality. i know it works for some bands but for me as a musician.. no chance in hell i would take it on stage without a bucket load of backup gear and engineers watching the apps for me. i wouldn't trust it to just leave it there. too many times i've heard clips and audio latency and stutters because my mac decided to start reindexing or was already over loaded and something automatically started up maxing out the cpu and killing the sound.

and nothing beats a nice tube amp and decent rack effects anyway

thats what i think.

I definitely understand your concern! I've been using it for musical theatre, as I don't really have another solution. Fortunately it's been really stable for me. Only crashed once, and that was my fault.

spoonie1972
Mar 15, 2013, 09:24 AM
i used it once when helping a band out doing keyboard/sequence duties. i was nervous as hell and it did crash on me twice - i used it for about 14 performances.

this was on my older macbook - 4gb ram, core2duo 2.16 (2.13? cant remember). it was mostly solid, but not so much that I wouldn't give it a much harder test if I was going to do it again on the newer machine.

it's worth noting that i used the built-in coreaudio and 1/8th" line out - NO issues with that. Latency wasn't noticeable when playing. I think i had it at 256.

nothing going in, just vsti's out.