PDA

View Full Version : PDA Blues...

Timothy
Dec 10, 2002, 01:09 AM
I'd just like to pause, during this Holiday Season, and nurse my PDA blues.

I have several friends who are excited about their new and coming PDAs (The Dell seems to be very popular, and looking at the specs and the price, I can understand why).

And yet we, in the Apple community, remain homeless relative to the PDA world. We still don't have a PDA that integrates well to the digital lifestyle that we've come to appreciate in our desktops. Palm remains an utterly uninspiring option, and if you compare the specs and price of the new Palm Tungsten to the specs and price of some of the newer PocketPC offerings, it quickly becomes apparent that Palm is going to die quickly.

For those of us who learned what true ultra-portable computing could be with our Newtons, this lack is particularly sharp. We learned to integrate this extremly useful and inspiring tool in our lives only to have it roughly taken away from us.

This one area remains a sore-spot in my relationship with Apple. Is it enough to make me leave? Not yet...but Apple continues to ignore the PDA market and the needs of its customers relative to this market to their own demise.

Apple...Jobs...get over your own ego and recognize that the ultra-portable computing market is THE ultimate extension to the digital lifestyle. It's not a question merely of creating a new source of income, fundamentally it is a question of offering solutions to those who've committed to the Apple Platform.

We need an Apple PDA.

kiwi_the_iwik
Dec 10, 2002, 09:15 AM
Yes - it looks like the PDA question has arisen yet again...

As an avid Newton enthusiast, I've gotta say that Apple won't have a problem in catching up on the rest of the crowd - there have even been rumours that they were planning a takeover of Palm...

However, I would prefer a PDA that has properly integrated features with proper Newton-style handwriting recognition (aka. Inkwell) instead of Graffiti, and is 100% compatible with my system, as well as to have the ability to serve me as a decent communications device (perhaps with an integrated phone and digital camera, as well as FireWire connectivity and Airport/BlueTooth compatibility?). I think Apple may be just using the other companies in the race to benchtest the market before they jump in to the fray...

...a wise decision.

;)