PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Warns Against Installing Latest Kindle App Update for iOS Due to Deleted Book Libraries [Update: Fix Live]

MacRumors
Feb 27, 2013, 09:24 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/27/amazon-warns-against-installing-latest-kindle-app-update-for-ios-due-to-deleted-book-libraries/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/02/kindle_app_icon.jpgAmazon yesterday released a minor 3.6.1 update to its Kindle app (http://www.appshopper.com/books/kindle-for-iphone) for iOS, but as noted by TUAW (http://www.tuaw.com/2013/02/27/amazon-warns-ios-users-to-not-install-the-latest-kindle-app-upda/), the company is now warning users in the app description not to install the update.What's New in Version 3.6.1

Note: There is a known issue with this update. If you are an existing Kindle for iOS user, we recommend you do not install this update at this time.According to reports, the update is causing users' entire book libraries to be deleted from their devices. There is no word yet on when a fix can be expected to arrive in the App Store, but Amazon is undoubtedly rushing to fix the issue and Apple is likely to provide an expedited review in order to minimize the number of affected users.

Update 7:29 AM: AllThingsD reports (http://allthingsd.com/20130227/amazon-working-on-fix-for-kindle-for-ios-bug/) that Amazon has issued a statement indicating that it has submitted a fix for the issue to Apple and is working to expedite its release.

Update 9:36 AM: Kindle for iOS (http://www.appshopper.com/books/kindle-for-iphone) has been updated to version 3.6.2, presumably addressing the issue with version 3.6.1. The new release notes do not, however, mention the issue.

Article Link: Amazon Warns Against Installing Latest Kindle App Update for iOS Due to Deleted Book Libraries [Update: Fix Live] (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/27/amazon-warns-against-installing-latest-kindle-app-update-for-ios-due-to-deleted-book-libraries/)

Beezzy
Feb 27, 2013, 09:26 AM
Too late for me :(

Thank god I mainly stop reading at the end of a chapter. But still. That was a pain the butt to find out.

old-wiz
Feb 27, 2013, 09:27 AM
good thing I saw the warning this morning before I tried to update. I think the biggest problem with apps is updating and finding that the new version has some serious problems and there's no way to go back to the previous version.

TheLisnakFactor
Feb 27, 2013, 09:28 AM
Wow. So much for testing...

Just killed my girlfriend's phone and mine. Going back to iBooks.

LimeiBook86
Feb 27, 2013, 09:30 AM
Eep! I just updated this last night.

Thankfully I only have one book in my library and it seems to still be there. :)

ArtOfWarfare
Feb 27, 2013, 09:34 AM
The one time my girlfriend told me something before MacRumors...

Actually, she might have mentioned Jobs was dead before MR...

Elvin77
Feb 27, 2013, 09:35 AM
Too late for me too

robdam1001
Feb 27, 2013, 09:36 AM
Can't the books just be downloaded again? :confused::confused:

peter.stegemann
Feb 27, 2013, 09:37 AM
The biggest flaw in Apples software distribution system: You can't just pull back a new version once it was released. Completely insane.

ugahairydawgs
Feb 27, 2013, 09:40 AM

Yep....but I'm guessing you don't get your bookmarks and other info such as that back.

bjjp2
Feb 27, 2013, 09:40 AM
Too late for me too. But you can still re-download the books and, in my case, it still kept my bookmarks. So a minor pain but not a big deal. I actually needed to clear some books off my phone anyway.

g0odfr1end102
Feb 27, 2013, 09:41 AM
Lost my library... Why don't they test them before releasing??? Uuurggh...

LSK6453
Feb 27, 2013, 09:42 AM
I updated last night, but have not launched the app. I have a good deal of books in my kindle app that are .mobi which I am sure are gone now. :(

iSee
Feb 27, 2013, 09:44 AM
Nice one Amazon!

Luckily for me, I updated all my apps on the weekend and missed this I think (I usually only update once a month or so).
This doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in the Amazon ecosystem.

Apple should support a "retract update" capability that would allow developers to instantly pull an update and revert to the previous version. This would be good for customers when developers royally screw up like this.

----------

I updated last night, but have not launched the app. I have a good deal of books in my kindle app that are .mobi which I am sure are gone now. :(

It seems possible -- very likely actually -- that the deletion occurs when you first launch. So try to avoid launching until the next update is available.

mw360
Feb 27, 2013, 09:48 AM
Nice one Amazon!

Luckily for me, I updated all my apps on the weekend and missed this I think (I usually only update once a month or so).

Apple should support a "retract update" capability that would allow developers to instantly pull an update and revert to the previous version. This would be good for customers when developers royally screw up like this.

Seems sensible on the surface, but wouldn't it lead to some developers skimping on the testing? I've seen lots of major apps with a 'Do not update!' panicky description. Perhaps getting publicly burned with no way back keeps them on their toes.

blahblah100
Feb 27, 2013, 09:48 AM

That seems a bit dramatic, but good luck! :rolleyes:

jbachandouris
Feb 27, 2013, 09:51 AM
I updated last night as well. Fortunately I have only 1 book on the device and I haven't launched since the update.

extricated
Feb 27, 2013, 10:02 AM
Thanks, amazon?

My stuff is gone.

ghostface147
Feb 27, 2013, 10:05 AM
Crap, this happened to my girlfriend. Hopefully it keeps her bookmarks.

drewyboy
Feb 27, 2013, 10:06 AM
Wow, glad I don't use amazon for reading. I'm sorry but this is a HUGE cluster *uck on amazon's part. There is absolutely no excuse for this. I mean, all they had to do was launch it ONCE to see this happen. If it was apple their stock would be down 7% and all over the news media. I've lost all faith in media, especially blogger sites, in reporting ACTUAL news FAIRLY, but hey, what do I know I'm just an average joe.

Beezzy
Feb 27, 2013, 10:16 AM
The biggest flaw in Apples software distribution system: You can't just pull back a new version once it was released. Completely insane.

Every OS has that. Lets be honest here.

rbrian
Feb 27, 2013, 10:16 AM
It wiped my library, except for the Project Gutenberg stuff I'd side loaded with iTunes file sharing. I was something like three quarters if the way through Game of Thrones, which is a massive file containing all 5 books, but it downloaded again in a few seconds and remembered where I'd left off. Huge sigh of relief! I don't understand why this wasn't picked up in testing.

Boston007
Feb 27, 2013, 10:23 AM
It wiped my library, except for the Project Gutenberg stuff I'd side loaded with iTunes file sharing. I was something like three quarters if the way through Game of Thrones, which is a massive file containing all 5 books, but it downloaded again in a few seconds and remembered where I'd left off. Huge sigh of relief! I don't understand why this wasn't picked up in testing.

Testing?
Take it from someone who has been in the software industry for over ten years.

SQA(Software Quality Assurance) has been dropped to the bottom level of most organizations. It's mostly offshore now as well.

nickersd
Feb 27, 2013, 10:28 AM
This has uncovered another bug, this time with the app store. I clicked on update for another app, and not "update all". It updated all anyway:eek: Guess I just won't open kindle until it gets the next update.

960design
Feb 27, 2013, 10:31 AM
Tap 'poof' WTF argh...

caesarp
Feb 27, 2013, 10:35 AM
My wife and I both did the update last night (on iPads and iPhones) and it was annoying, but not earth-shattering.

Basically all your e-books in the cloud are still there. But you have to re-download the ones you are reading to your device from the cloud (and other than "enhanced editions" of ebooks with built in videos, it takes no time to do so).

The worst thing is that I keep several "sample" e-books on my device, as I am still considering purchasing them. I lost all of the samples and had to rack my brain to remember those titles and then re-download the samples. Not sure why the cloud won't keep your samples.

Another thing is, the update changed the "friendly" name of your device, so instead of, for example, "Joe's iPad 3", it was called "4th ipad". So I had to go to the Amazon kindle webpage, delete the old reference to my iPad and change "4th ipad to my preferred friendly name. I had to do this for my wife's 2 Apple devices and my 2 Apple devices.

Also, the brightness was turned all the way up and instead of "sepia", it was on white background. So all of the setting you chose were gone.

So yeah, they really messed up on this one.

----------

Yes, the issue is not even being reported correctly. The books you purchased are still there in the cloud. You just have to re-transfer to your device (which uusually takes little time). But if you open to device view, it shows NOTHING. Which probably freaked people out. Change to "cloud" view and everything is there.

You don't LOSE any books that you purchased.

You do have to re-enter your settings, etc. I don't think I lost the bookmark on the book I was reading at the time.

zorinlynx
Feb 27, 2013, 11:06 AM
Apple should always keep the previous version of an app available to revert to in case there's problems with an update.

This would be TRIVIAL to implement. Why the hell don't they?

Also, keeping previous versions of an app available when the app obsoletes a class of devices would be good too. I know of people using iPhone 3G who have lost some apps because they can't install newer versions after their device was wiped.

Plutonius
Feb 27, 2013, 11:12 AM
You don't LOSE any books that you purchased.

Correction. You don't lose any books from Amazon that you keep in their cloud.

thenbagis
Feb 27, 2013, 11:25 AM
3.6.2 is out... just updated

UnfetteredMind
Feb 27, 2013, 11:25 AM
Apple should always keep the previous version of an app available to revert to in case there's problems with an update.

Also, keeping previous versions of an app available when the app obsoletes a class of devices would be good too. I know of people using iPhone 3G who have lost some apps because they can't install newer versions after their device was wiped.

That's a great point and I would also like to see this implemented.

sunspot42
Feb 27, 2013, 11:31 AM

It shouldn't. I subscribed to their Cloud Player service. Big mistake. Streaming is unreliable - even over a wired internet connection, so the problem isn't bandwidth on MY end - and the iOS app is the biggest piece of junk imaginable.

Amazon just can't write software. I keep thinking their fork of Android represents a serious threat to Google, but the obvious incompetence of their developers makes me wonder if that threat will ever be realized...

NUR6
Feb 27, 2013, 11:32 AM
Does 3.6.2 correct the problem?

Plutonius
Feb 27, 2013, 11:35 AM
Just checked and it's still available for unsuspecting customers.

Tim Cook or who ever is in charge of iTunes why no preventative action?:mad:

3.6.2 is out... just updated

You sure it isn't the fixed version ?

NUR6
Feb 27, 2013, 11:43 AM

It is 3.6.2. I had to double check since I thought I downloaded it and saw that it was available.

Did Apple pull the update before making the corrected version available?

caesarp
Feb 27, 2013, 11:44 AM
Correction. You don't lose any books from Amazon that you keep in their cloud.

I don't see any setting to to not have purchased books remain in the cloud (and why would you not)? Also, even if you did (or can) delete from the cloud for some reason, I believe you can go to your "manage your kindle" webpage and re-download that way.

It shows the history of all your purchases and gives you options to send to your devices.

So I think it is not possible to entirely lose your purchased books.

roboclint
Feb 27, 2013, 11:48 AM
Downloaded 3.6.2 to my iPhone, everything seems to be working fine.

Still haven't updated at all to my iPad since that's the one I actually use for reading.

NUR6
Feb 27, 2013, 11:53 AM

Thxs

bobr1952
Feb 27, 2013, 11:56 AM
I don't always look at the notes but fortunately I did this morning and did not update. Glad to hear that Amazon fixed the issue quickly. :)

Plutonius
Feb 27, 2013, 12:10 PM
So I think it is not possible to entirely lose your purchased books.

Many people do not purchase all their books through Amazon (i.e. Amazon is not aware of all the ebooks I have).

weing
Feb 27, 2013, 12:21 PM
Amazing and insanely moronic that a bug this huge could be present in an update. Over 2GB of books gone. Yes, they can be reclaimed but not all of us have fast enough connections that this is not a multi-hour time suck.

Yujenisis
Feb 27, 2013, 12:35 PM

True, although Amazon shares blame for what is clearly a sloppy release with a glaring and significant bug. :D

old-wiz
Feb 27, 2013, 12:38 PM
Testing?

SQA(Software Quality Assurance) has been dropped to the bottom level of most organizations. It's mostly offshore now as well.

I used to work in the software industry and you're absolutely right - the QA has been outsourced or their numbers cut down below the bone so they do not have the resources or time to do as much testing as needed. This always results in "updates" that break things and get customers upset.

In the case of Amazon you can re-download all of your books, but how long will this take? Not to mention you will have lost your place plus bookmarks plus any notes you made. Fortunately for me, I don't use bookmarks or notes and I didn't do the update.

Amazon reports they have fixed the problem, but if you had already updated to the 3.6.1 (the bad one) and run it, you still will have lost all of your stuff.

I'm going to wait a few days or more to make sure nothing else is broken.

If there are any apps you really use a lot it makes sense to update them only when the updates have been out for several days and no one has screamed bloody code.

anshuvorty
Feb 27, 2013, 01:02 PM
Too late for me :(

Thank god I mainly stop reading at the end of a chapter. But still. That was a pain the butt to find out.

same here...Lost ALOT of books. but got'em backed up on Dropbox, so I just gotta transfer 'em over back to kindle...but I did loose my spots in my various e-books....ah well...

RMo
Feb 27, 2013, 01:10 PM
Every OS has that. Lets be honest here.

Really? Because I'm pretty sure that if the latest Firefox update horribly breaks something for me, I'm perfectly capable of downgrading to whatever version I want (and, in fact, installing whatever version whenever I want), either from a saved old download or Mozilla's site itself, since they keep everything there.

With iOS alone, there is absolutely nothing you can do. If you add in iTunes on Windows or Mac, you have a bit of control, but it involves manually finding and saving IPA files, which is both cumbersome and completely unsupported.

It would be nice if Apple made the most recent previous version available for this reason, and it would also be nice if they saved (for a period of time during which the developer was willing to support it, at least) old versions of apps when newer ones require a jump in hardware or iOS version. For example, there isn't much you can find for a first-gen iPod touch anymore, but lots of old apps work fine on it--just hope you don't have to do a restore, or you won't be able to find them anymore!

Beezzy
Feb 27, 2013, 01:15 PM
Really? Because I'm pretty sure that if the latest Firefox update horribly breaks something for me, I'm perfectly capable of downgrading to whatever version I want (and, in fact, installing whatever version whenever I want), either from a saved old download or Mozilla's site itself, since they keep everything there.

With iOS alone, there is absolutely nothing you can do. If you add in iTunes on Windows or Mac, you have a bit of control, but it involves manually finding and saving IPA files, which is both cumbersome and completely unsupported.

It would be nice if Apple made the most recent previous version available for this reason, and it would also be nice if they saved (for a period of time during which the developer was willing to support it, at least) old versions of apps when newer ones require a jump in hardware or iOS version. For example, there isn't much you can find for a first-gen iPod touch anymore, but lots of old apps work fine on it--just hope you don't have to do a restore, or you won't be able to find them anymore!

Thats a web browser not an OS, same thing happens with Android and Win8 Phones when you update an app. Thats what I was referring to.

bjjp2
Feb 27, 2013, 01:31 PM
In the case of Amazon you can re-download all of your books, but how long will this take? Not to mention you will have lost your place plus bookmarks plus any notes you made. Fortunately for me, I don't use bookmarks or notes and I didn't do the update.

Repeat, did not lose notes or bookmarks.

GenesisST
Feb 27, 2013, 01:58 PM
Testing?

That... and factor in language barrier, time zone difference with small overlaps and testers that flood bug systems so much with duplicates, bad descriptions, etc that engineers and managers can't really notice real bugs.

duaneu
Feb 27, 2013, 02:14 PM
Great job getting the fixed rolled out so quickly.

old-wiz
Feb 27, 2013, 02:24 PM
Has anyone verified that the new fix works on iPads and doesn't erase your library?

Kroner
Feb 27, 2013, 02:39 PM
Well while updating my apps on my iPhone, I saw this notice. Maybe I should change my habit of reading the update notes after I have pressed "Update all" :p
Although it doesnīt look like anything happened, maybe because I didnīt open the app.

Well it wouldnīt matter either way, as I spend most of my reading time on my Galaxy Tab 7.0 or on my iPad.

Dagless
Feb 27, 2013, 02:50 PM

How so, are you rebuying all your content on iBooks?

robdam1001
Feb 27, 2013, 03:27 PM
Repeat, did not lose notes or bookmarks.

Same, all is just as it was.

BornAgainMac
Feb 27, 2013, 03:37 PM
It is not like it says "Oh, your entire collection has been deleted. Please re-purchase everything again."

Gasu E.
Feb 27, 2013, 03:53 PM
Many people do not purchase all their books through Amazon (i.e. Amazon is not aware of all the ebooks I have).

Don't you keep copies of those somewhere other than your ios devices?

----------

Not to mention you will have lost your place plus bookmarks plus any notes you made.

You don't lose your place. At least, I would not, since my place in the book is also saved in the Cloud, automatically. One of the benefits of Kindle software is that I can switch between reading the same book on my Kindle, iPad, iPhone, laptop, whatever, without losing my place.

steve knight
Feb 27, 2013, 04:15 PM
I notice it does not show the cloud books how far they have been read. that would let me sort the old from the new.

MrDc2
Feb 27, 2013, 04:19 PM
Amazon Warns Against Using Kindle.

Plutonius
Feb 27, 2013, 06:07 PM
Don't you keep copies of those somewhere other than your ios devices?[COLOR="#808080"]

I do so it's no problem for me. Unfortunately, many informed people do not bother keeping copies or even backing up their computer / data. I put the blame on these people if they lost stuff due to the Kindle app update but it doesn't change the fact that some people lost items they purchased elsewhere.

Ralf The Dog
Feb 27, 2013, 06:47 PM
When I purchase books from other sources, I email them to my Kindle device and as far as I can tell, they wind up in my cloud. Not that you can trust anything in the cloud today will be in the cloud tomorrow.

RobDee
Feb 27, 2013, 06:57 PM

Hear hear. My 3G was borked similarly for iBooks and Kindle. Extremely annoying. Guess I should report this to Apple.

John.B
Feb 27, 2013, 07:54 PM
True, although Amazon shares blame for what is clearly a sloppy release with a glaring and significant bug. :D

Sorry, no, this is all on Amazon.

bigagassi
Feb 27, 2013, 08:01 PM
Update All
and....
all my books are disappeared.

macsmurf
Feb 28, 2013, 01:32 AM
In the future you guys should really send your mobi books directly to the document archive on Amazon, either by using your kindle email or the Send to Kindle application. There isn't a lot of point in keeping them locally on your device when Amazon give you 5 GB of storage for free.

That means the books will be available and synced on all your devices as well.

LSK6453
Feb 28, 2013, 10:38 AM
Nice one Amazon!

----------

It seems possible -- very likely actually -- that the deletion occurs when you first launch. So try to avoid launching until the next update is available.

I update to the new version and everything was there, so it was probably at launch that it happened and I had not launched the app

LSK6453
Feb 28, 2013, 12:01 PM
In the future you guys should really send your mobi books directly to the document archive on Amazon, either by using your kindle email or the Send to Kindle application. There isn't a lot of point in keeping them locally on your device when Amazon give you 5 GB of storage for free.

That means the books will be available and synced on all your devices as well.

I did not know that you could do this. Thanks! I have been trying to redownload all of my .mobi files to put on the cloud, but cannot find a handful. The rest are out there, never to be lost again.

thank you

RMo
Feb 28, 2013, 01:22 PM
Thats a web browser not an OS, same thing happens with Android and Win8 Phones when you update an app. Thats what I was referring to.

We're talking about apps, like the Kindle app, not OS versions (at least I can only assume that's what the OP meant since they called the lack of old version reversion a "problem" and this story is about the Kindle app problem, not iOS itself).

JonLa
Mar 1, 2013, 05:30 AM
What's actually happened (and this happened to my Dad) is that it's registered your IPad as a new device in the Manage my Kindle page on their website. So all of the settings (like auto-download, delivery email address etc) apply to Ipad 1 (say).

But your iPad is now Ipad 2, so none of the settings apply...

Not sure if the updated version will fix this if you've already gone through it...

If it doesn't then you'll have to log in to Manage my Kindle, note the old Kindle delivery address, delete the old iPad, rename iPad 2 to iPad, amend it's delivery address....

That will restore your auto-download settings.

No comment on stuff you've sideloaded or opened from an email/dropbox/etc