Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arkados

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
So I'm a first year graphic design student in my 3rd semester and am taking InDesign 2 class. I did well in InDesign 1, but only because it was step by step book instructions and now we are to design our own. I have had a really tough time finding inspiration on my projects, I listen to dubstep to get the layout right and more subtle music (Secondhand Serenade) to get me in my "artsy" mood but I only got the last two projects done and the way I liked them by luck. Often times I change my whole design at the last minute to what I originally had in my head but didn't know how to transfer it. I've googled numerous times but I just don't have that "a ha!" moment where everything clicks. What do you do when you have this sort of trouble?

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Get a good sketchbook, doesn't have to be big, just something you have with you all the time, and start moving a pencil or a Pilot pen in it, just keep the pencil moving. Stuff starts jelling after a little bit. Drawing is thinking.

(To me, iPad sketch apps just aren't the same as real paper & pen/cils for thinking.)

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
There's no quick answer.

I can remember struggling with design for years ... making three direction changes before settling on something that still didn't thrill me.

Today, I'm able to cut to a decent decision without the missteps. Even color choices—which I once felt totally lost at—comes more easily.

Design isn't easy.

You have to put in the time. Eventually you'll develop the creativity you're looking for. Inspiration is all around. But it will take a while before you'll be able to channel it into effective design.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
There's something about art school -- the simultaneous, multiple short deadline projects, days on end without sleep, Ramen, unreasonable demands from arrogant instructors, other creatives -- it makes one capable of forcing creativity. If you stick with it to the end, you'll find you are able to whip out a passable concept almost on demand. Music, pop culture, books, other designers, movies, photography, nature, the motion of everyday life are all sources of inspiration. Hang in there, it gets easier.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
When....

faced with a creative/artsy need or way of thinking I usually:

a)-Search the Web for ideas/trends/factual data
b)-Read some books to catch some thought
c)-Do a walk. Seeing people engaged in various activities and interacting with the environments awake in me the ability to see connections what can be used as creative basis
d) Me being an adult can indulge in a drink or two or a coffee surrounded by nice music.....:)

Have two or three more suggestions but I dont want to be banned/censored (No drugs involved)....:)

yoblanco

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2011
I don't think you really need to listen to music to get inspiration. Try to work with paper (try to stay away from computers until you get the whole idea), sit in a chair, work in a clean desktop (not necessarily empty, but well ordered and with enough space to move your hands and forearms), in a well ordered / clean room, warm space (or cold, but with a jacket, so you feel comfortable *).

Take some time to discover what are you personally obtaining from that project, and when you find out you will quickly get results. You probably find everything you really need (apart from technical things, or historical traditions which you need to learn) inside your brain. Take some time to extract it.

Ah, and as phoenixsan said, you can «… can indulge in a drink or two or a coffee surrounded by nice music …». But in your position I would try not to do this until you think you don't have any other chance.

* Too warm will lead you to sleep. I think you have to find the warmest you can work WITHOUT getting sleepy.

r0lodex

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
So I'm a first year graphic design student in my 3rd semester and am taking InDesign 2 class. I did well in InDesign 1, but only because it was step by step book instructions and now we are to design our own. I have had a really tough time finding inspiration on my projects, I listen to dubstep to get the layout right and more subtle music (Secondhand Serenade) to get me in my "artsy" mood but I only got the last two projects done and the way I liked them by luck. Often times I change my whole design at the last minute to what I originally had in my head but didn't know how to transfer it. I've googled numerous times but I just don't have that "a ha!" moment where everything clicks. What do you do when you have this sort of trouble?

InDesign is a tool to help visualize our ideas, just like Illustrator, Photoshop and the rest.

To become inspired, you need inspiration. Just like Leonardo, he is inspired by the things he sees, a human body for example. Feed your brain with visuals so you understand colors, shapes, and layout trends. Here's some sites to keep you inspired.

www.colourlovers.com
www.bestwebgallery.com

Music will give you the energy & spirit, not inspiration.
Every creation in this world is always inspired by another creation. You can't create something from nothing, unless you're God.

Good luck in your course. All the best.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
"A good designer is only as good as the websites he steals from"
so ill keep those up my sleeve thanks ;)

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
For inspiration, I visit this site with creative artworks: http://creattica.com/
The web has actually many blog sites showcasing works of other designers that you can draw inspiration too.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Look at websites, or graphic design (magazines ads, brochures, posters) that are considered good, or highly creative...and emulate them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.