PDA

View Full Version : Apple better have something really good up its sleeve for the next round

macUser2007
Feb 27, 2013, 07:32 PM
While looking for information on the new HTC One (http://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-one/), I came upon this post by Ralf Rottmann, who is one of the founders of GrandCentrix, Germany's largest mobile software development company:

AN IPHONE LOVER'S CONFESSION: I SWITCHED TO THE NEXUS 4. COMPLETELY. (http://rottmann.net/2013/01/an-iphone-lovers-confession-i-switched-to-the-nexus-4-completely/)

"Putting it into a single line: The latest version of Android outshines the latest version of iOS in almost every single aspect.

I find it to be better in terms of the performance, smoothness of the rendering engine, cross-app and OS level integration, innovation across the board, look & feel customizability and variety of the available apps."

As a user of both the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy Nexus (the previous generation Google phone), the above post hit a nerve: I have been feeling similar disappointment, despite my strong inclination to like the iPhone 5 (or the iPad 4, for that matter).

Apple better get it together, and fast.

If iOS 7 is not a WOW! experience, but rather a minor tweak here and there (widgets as the next BIG THING, anyone?), it will become a hard fight for Apple, as Android is finally getting some well designed hardware.

soundr
Feb 27, 2013, 08:22 PM
I like the path Apple is taking, I have no doubt they will come up with some big improvements in the nest OS update.

ajxoxo
Feb 27, 2013, 08:35 PM
I agree. Android is the next big thing. Apple is suddenly becoming too popular. Apple is becoming what Microsoft is. The UNCOOL.

Face it. Since Steve Jobs died, Apple stopped innovating.

irDigital0l
Feb 27, 2013, 09:48 PM
Prepare to be disappointed.

No seriously, if you think that they will vastly improve iOS 7 after the diaster that was iOS 6 and they don't then...

Honestly iOS 6 was horrible. Apple Maps was the biggest feature and it was a total laughing stock. Google Now surpassed Siri. Passbook had limited functionality and was too confusing to use. All the other features were so minor, that Apple spend 10 minutes talking about Facebook integration.

They fired Forstall as a result. The question is whether Ive will have enough to time to implement whatever new design he likes and how big they will be.

At this point you either have to wonder...

A) Is Apple too arrogant to not realize that Android has surpassed iOS and won't want to admit by redesigning iOS.

B) Does Apple not have the ability to make further advances in iOS due to no "Steve Jobs" running around with design. I don' think Cook cares that much of how to implement iOS. They're just different people.

C) Both A & B

davelanger
Feb 27, 2013, 11:59 PM
While looking for information on the new HTC One (http://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-one/), I came upon this post by Ralf Rottmann, who is one of the founders of GrandCentrix, Germany's largest mobile software development company:

AN IPHONE LOVER'S CONFESSION: I SWITCHED TO THE NEXUS 4. COMPLETELY. (http://rottmann.net/2013/01/an-iphone-lovers-confession-i-switched-to-the-nexus-4-completely/)

As a user of both the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy Nexus (the previous generation Google phone), the above post hit a nerve: I have been feeling similar disappointment, despite my strong inclination to like the iPhone 5 (or the iPad 4, for that matter).

Apple better get it together, and fast.

If iOS 7 is not a WOW! experience, but rather a minor tweak here and there (widgets as the next BIG THING, anyone?), it will become a hard fight for Apple, as Android is finally getting some well designed hardware.

so because this one person thinks this, I guess everyone feels that way?
Apple does need a kick in the butt to get better and with android on their heels and them both trading who has more sales each month, its going to cause IOS to get better.

competition is always a good thing

sundog925
Feb 28, 2013, 03:17 AM
Things I want the most (but probably won't get) in iOS7.

1. Swipe for the keyboard.
2. Custom text colors and fonts.
3. Contact photos in the list without JB
4. Wifi, BT and brightness buttons for home screen
5. Move apps around freely and place where i want (to show wallpaper for example)
6. More widgets for notification center.
7. New menu layouts and colors. It's seriously time for that depressing grey to go.
8. Animated wallpapers
9. Save tones as ringtones without iTunes.
10. FLASH PLAYER.

Thank you.

ggmissmolly
Feb 28, 2013, 03:48 AM
"Apple better get it together, and fast."

oooooooh! Scary!! You want something else? Need a hall pass? Use this as permission to leave. You'll regret it, but everyone needs the freedom to screw up on their own.

Ann P
Feb 28, 2013, 04:07 AM

oooooooh! Scary!! You want something else? Need a hall pass? Use this as permission to leave. You'll regret it, but everyone needs the freedom to screw up on their own.

What are you going on about? A little criticism never hurts. The OS is getting stale....

Feed Me
Feb 28, 2013, 04:41 AM

5. Move apps around freely and place where i want (to show wallpaper for example)
7. New menu layouts and colors. It's seriously time for that depressing grey to go.
8. Animated wallpapers
10. FLASH PLAYER.

Thank you.

Dangit, you should've put FLASH PLAYER as your 1st point, so I could've stopped reading there :rolleyes:

maxosx
Feb 28, 2013, 04:47 AM
The best approach is to collapse your expectations. Saving the chance that you'll be disappointed. With huge sales Apple has no incentive to make significant improvements. As they say "it just works" therefore it's mission accomplished :)

skaertus
Feb 28, 2013, 05:25 AM
The best approach is to collapse your expectations. Saving the chance that you'll be disappointed. With huge sales Apple has no incentive to make significant improvements. As they say "it just works" therefore it's mission accomplished :)

I guess that is pretty much that.

Expect no big improvements for iOS, even though they would be welcome. iOS could be much better, and it could especially unleash the power of the iPad. But Apple will not do that. iOS will remain a limited yet functional operating system. Android will keep getting more and more advanced features, while iOS will become fancier. At least these are my expectations for the next round of updates...

Gutwrench
Feb 28, 2013, 06:06 AM

Wouldn't any of ios7's 'wow' design have been done long, long ago?

If these thoughts about what ios7 needs to be is just dawning on the customers in the market today and Apple failed to predict them more than a year ago, then I'm afraid the die was cast long ago.

Like it or not, ios releases are like looking up at the stars. You're looking at what was set into motion a fair bit of time ago.

CTHarrryH
Feb 28, 2013, 08:10 AM
Flash player, eh. Since Adobe has announced it is dropping that I don't think you'll see much chance of that.

I'm sure that no matter what is in IOS 7 most people here will be disappointed and promise to leave Apple. As a matter of fact I'm suprised no one has started that thread already.

If IOS 7 had everything everyone one wanted there would be a million threads about too much change, I can't figure out how to do anything anymore and I can't update my original iPhone etc. My battery is dying in 16 hrs and 5 minutes and it used to last 16 hours and 7 minutes.

The system works great for most people. What difference does the shape or color or placement of Icons make. Are you more interested in function or form.

thehustleman
Feb 28, 2013, 08:13 AM
I agree. Android is the next big thing. Apple is suddenly becoming too popular. Apple is becoming what Microsoft is. The UNCOOL.

Let's face it, Apple stopped innovating before jobs died.

AlphaVictor87
Feb 28, 2013, 08:43 AM
I'm sure that no matter what is in IOS 7 most people here will be disappointed and promise to leave Apple. As a matter of fact I'm suprised no one has started that thread already.

The system works great for most people. What difference does the shape or color or placement of Icons make. Are you more interested in function or form.

I think that is is that thread about people wanting to leave.

As for placement of icons and want of widgets and new features. Im pretty sure thats all function, and you want your phone to function the way you want it to.

Most people are sick of having the uniform grid of apps and lack of instant information with iOS.

I have a Nexus 7 and i love that i can unlock it, be able to see any new emails i have, upcoming events on my calendar, the current weather, current score of my sports team, and many more things without even opening an app. Hell now with 4.2 you can even see most of that from the lock screen.

I'm still visiting this website to see if they know anything new about iOS 7 and what kind of "revolutionary/evolutionary/new features" it will have, but most likely (99.9% chance) i will be moving to the Samsung Galaxy S4.

I just can't believe that Apple is still standing behind the tagline of "the world's most advanced mobile operating system" for iOS :confused:

bagyidaw
Feb 28, 2013, 08:47 AM
Apple needs to open up to 3rd party apps and provides better process-communication.
Default app, sharing between app, spotlight search 3rd party app, email attachment, some sort of file manager?

AQUADock
Feb 28, 2013, 10:03 AM

Huh? So you want apple to come out with a noteworthy product like the ipad in a year, stuff like that take years to make. :rolleyes:

macUser2007
Feb 28, 2013, 10:35 AM

Hm, this is exactly what Android fanboys were arguing 3 years ago, when the UI was kind of primitive and iOS' IU looked elegant and modern.

Heck, WM5 users were making the same argument a few years back, too.... :rolleyes:

Silvereel
Feb 28, 2013, 10:48 AM
Hm, this is exactly what Android fanboys were arguing 3 years ago, when the UI was kind of primitive and iOS' IU looked elegant and modern.

Heck, WM5 users were making the same argument a few years back, too.... :rolleyes:

The grid is still light years more elegant than anything I've seen from Android. It's simple and doesn't overwhelm. Everything I've seen from Android is overwhelming, and 'customization' generally means making it even fuglier, like a Windows XP skin from 2004.

Can Apple improve iOS? Yes. But not by putting settings on the front page, a search bar at the top of every screen and dancing widgets on top of a live aquarium wallpaper.

macUser2007
Feb 28, 2013, 01:32 PM
The grid is still light years more elegant than anything I've seen from Android. It's simple and doesn't overwhelm. Everything I've seen from Android is overwhelming....

I have no idea what exactly is "everything you've seen from Android."

You can have a grid only, or you can have a combination of a grid and some widgets, or something else. You can change the icons, if you want to, or the names, or have text only screen, or whatever.

For reference, here are screengrabs of the only two screens I have on my Galaxy Nexus, which are, frankly, more user friendly overall than what I have on my iPhone 5. You may or may not like my choice of icons, background, or widgets, but they are all easily changeable (by a long press, generally).

The iPhone 5 is a much nicer piece of hardware, but iOS definitely feels behind Jelly Bean.

Little things that you take for granted in Android (cross-app integration, ability to chose a much better keyboard, and yes, multitasking at times) are stumbling blocks in iOS that are getting harder to overlook.

Jelly Bean is the first Android OS that I felt was better than iOS, but also note that Google is likely to announce Android OS 5 in May 2013, which will presumably push the platform further ahead. The reality is that Apple has been stagnant, while Google has been hard at work and has finally reached its stride with the OS.

If I were Apple, I'd actually worry about Chrome OS as well, because while it is rather useless now, it is getting better and it looks like Google is pushing it pretty hard. And it sure does have the potential to be the first real desktop OS contender in decades, and a formidable one at that, if done right.

Add to this Google's (and Netflix's) open Air-Play challenge and most will see that Apple cannot rest on its laurels and trickle minor updates without any real innovation.

Apple has Ive, who is a design genius, IMO, so I hope he can get us all excited again. But it needs to be soon, to remain relevant.

---

Edited to replace the screengrab showing a Shazam widget, replacing it with the stock Google Search widget. As I learned from Ralf Rottmann's blog post linked above, Google Search can now recognize music and in my brief tests, it did it perfectly (I do feel bad for the Shazam crew, through).

Edited again, to show what my current Android screen looks like. Because I can (on Android, but not on iOS). :eek::p

AlphaVictor87
Feb 28, 2013, 02:08 PM
Apple has Ive, who is a design genius, IMO, so I hope he can get us all excited again. But it needs to be soon, to remain relevant.

I'm 100% on your side with everything your post said.

I just have to comment on this little bit. Ive is a design genius i would agree as well. However we don't know exactly how much pull he will have over functionality which is where Apple is falling behind. So Ive may be able to make iOS look pretty again and fresh, but if thats all it gets is a new paint job but is the same old iOS and no added functionality, then Apple is still in trouble.

cuzo
Feb 28, 2013, 02:30 PM

No seriously, if you think that they will vastly improve iOS 7 after the diaster that was iOS 6 and they don't then...

Honestly iOS 6 was horrible. Apple Maps was the biggest feature and it was a total laughing stock. Google Now surpassed Siri. Passbook had limited functionality and was too confusing to use. All the other features were so minor, that Apple spend 10 minutes talking about Facebook integration.

They fired Forstall as a result. The question is whether Ive will have enough to time to implement whatever new design he likes and how big they will be.

A) Is Apple too arrogant to not realize that Android has surpassed iOS and won't want to admit by redesigning iOS.

B) Does Apple not have the ability to make further advances in iOS due to no "Steve Jobs" running around with design. I don' think Cook cares that much of how to implement iOS. They're just different people.

C) Both A & B

I think the real issue is what more do you want a smartphone to do for you, the basics are already covered. Phone text and email everything else is somewhat extra and a pleasure to have but not needed. While I do agree iOS is stale and iOS 6 is lame with that twitter and Facebook stuff I will also admit that half the features on these high powered android devices I don't even use.

Remember apple needs to keep it simple, my mother is buying a iPhone at 67.

Also remember the 1440mah battery, what drastic measures can apple do? Can it really handle true multitasking? Widgets?

It's not much iOS can do to upgrade their current devices, I'd imagine a new iPhone with a much bigger screen and battery in September and the current devices either getting a credit towards new devices or a drastic price cut.

But I really like iOS the way it is, the screen is small but the is really doesn't bother me at all.

I still think android is ugly and I are why the s3 since it doesn't really remind me of android but a new skin.

hasanahmad
Feb 28, 2013, 04:58 PM
Dangit, you should've put FLASH PLAYER as your 1st point, so I could've stopped reading there :rolleyes:

Flash might not be big in the US but it is huge abroad. A lot of streaming websites outside us still use flash so yes it is why they prefer Android

----------

I dont want Apple to chose what is best for me on the phone , I want the freedom to chose what is best for me on my phone

bozzykid
Feb 28, 2013, 06:09 PM
Flash might not be big in the US but it is huge abroad. A lot of streaming websites outside us still use flash so yes it is why they prefer Android

Flash is not even supported on the latest version of Android anymore (Jelly Bean). Adobe is even killing it off on mobile. It is not coming to iOS.

macUser2007
Feb 28, 2013, 09:52 PM
Flash is not even supported on the latest version of Android anymore (Jelly Bean). Adobe is even killing it off on mobile. It is not coming to iOS.

Well, while Adobe did pull support for Flash on Android, the Flash Player app is still floating around and it can be easily obtained -- particularly since Android does allow easy side-loading of apps, unlike iOS.

But, there is a great way to view Flash on the web with either your iOS or Android device, and that's the Puffin Browser (http://www.puffinbrowser.com/index.php).

Puffin is actually my browser of choice on on my iPad and it works like a charm -- I am yet to see a problem with its handling of Flash (at least a problem I have noticed). Highly recommended.

As far as the next version of iOS, I suppose we'll start getting some leaks soon enough. I do want Apple to succeed, because I do believe that without Apple, we'd be stuck in a world of mediocre design, catering to the Walmart shopper. But Apple has to start making an effort, too.

Zwhaler
Feb 28, 2013, 09:54 PM

8. Animated wallpapers
10. FLASH PLAYER.

No, I really don't think you will be getting any of those things, especially numbers 1-10

macUser2007
Feb 28, 2013, 10:18 PM
I still think android is ugly....

Dude, the beauty of Android is that it can be anything you want it to be.

Take a look at this screengrab from my Galaxy Nexus, using a $2.99 launcher called Espier (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.espier.launcher&hl=en) and tell me if this does not look like something which may be familiar to you? Complete with a fully functional Spotlight, if that's what you want. :)

P.S. I was mostly playing around with this launcher, so it's not really set up. But you can get the idea, I hope.

TitanTiger
Feb 28, 2013, 10:57 PM
The beauty of Apple is that with them, the iPhone/iPad is their product and I am their customer. With Google Android, I am the product and advertisers are their customer.

You can take all that modding stuff. Google creeps me out.

Giuly
Feb 28, 2013, 11:04 PM
Read it a while ago, dubbed it 'Oh, look at me, I don't buy Apple because everyone else is doing it. <Censored>.' and forgot about it.

All of his contacts are using iMessage. He makes them switch between WhatsApp and iMessage. Major annoyance, he should publish statistics of what happened to messages sent/received after the switch.

dinggus
Feb 28, 2013, 11:06 PM

Just what I was thinking.

If Apple just allowed me to customize my phone and had quick reply, I'd never have to jailbreak.

irDigital0l
Mar 1, 2013, 12:57 AM
The beauty of Apple is that with them, the iPhone/iPad is their product and I am their customer. With Google Android, I am the product and advertisers are their customer.

The fact that you don't think Apple takes in your information and privacy is somewhat scary.

CosmicDice
Mar 1, 2013, 04:19 AM

Android is for teens man. Lumia is the next big thing. At least it's as easy and nice to use like iPhone. And design is great, as Android just is not.

Ste Nova
Mar 1, 2013, 04:31 AM
P.S. I was mostly playing around with this launcher, so it's not really set up. But you can get the idea, I hope.

i'll avoid the playing round and setting up and just buy apple :apple:

Rogifan
Mar 1, 2013, 07:12 AM
I'm 100% on your side with everything your post said.

I just have to comment on this little bit. Ive is a design genius i would agree as well. However we don't know exactly how much pull he will have over functionality which is where Apple is falling behind. So Ive may be able to make iOS look pretty again and fresh, but if thats all it gets is a new paint job but is the same old iOS and no added functionality, then Apple is still in trouble.

Federighi oversees iOS engineering. Guess Ive would have a say on functionality to the extent human interface team at Apple is responsible for that.

Silvereel
Mar 1, 2013, 10:23 AM
---

Edited to replace the screengrab showing a Shazam widget, replacing it with the stock Google Search widget. As I learned from Ralf Rottmann's blog post linked above, Google Search can now recognize music and in my brief tests, it did it perfectly (I do feel bad for the Shazam crew, through).

I'm not gonna argue with you if you like Android; I like things that I'm sure lots of other people don't like, too. But I notice you've got those iOS icons. Obviously, you like those ;)

I think widgets would work better in another area, like the notification center. The widgets on the home page makes everything else look out of sync. The widgets controlling airplane mode and so on would look better at the top, but I like the idea of having them in a separate area entirely. iOS already has the search bar in Spotlight.

Another problem I have with Android are the 'soft buttons.' I like the home button because it responds to feedback, and I can know that I've pressed it without actually having to look at the screen. I can feel I, and it's really there. Soft buttons don't really serve any purpose; they're still taking up screen space, and they don't do anything better than a real button.

You basically made I look like iOS, so why go to the trouble? :p

AlphaVictor87
Mar 1, 2013, 10:59 AM
Another problem I have with Android are the 'soft buttons.' I like the home button because it responds to feedback, and I can know that I've pressed it without actually having to look at the screen. I can feel I, and it's really there. Soft buttons don't really serve any purpose; they're still taking up screen space, and they don't do anything better than a real button.

Well thats really only stock Android, phones like the Galaxy S3 don't waste space on the screen for buttons. Thats just really hardware choice.

And i think he was saying, that even if you have android, but like the look and feel of iOS you can get that, plus many more configurations.

macUser2007
Mar 1, 2013, 01:09 PM
i'll avoid the playing round and setting up and just buy apple :apple:

Well thats really only stock Android, phones like the Galaxy S3 don't waste space on the screen for buttons. Thats just really hardware choice.

And i think he was saying, that even if you have android, but like the look and feel of iOS you can get that, plus many more configurations.

Yaaay! :p

Thant was precisely my point - I can change my Galaxy Nexus to make it look like the iPhone, but I cannot change my iPhone..., at all.

Yes, I have changed the icons and yes, I do like many of the iOS icons better (but not all). Remember that I also have an iPhone 5 (and have had all the iPhones other than the 4 in the past), and three iPads at home.

But again, on the Galaxy Nexus I can change the icons, while on the iPhone I cannot.

I also like the soft buttons better than a hard button, for what its worth. BTW, in some cases the soft buttons automatically disappear - like when you are watching a video full-screen - pretty clever space utilization, if you ask me.

Don't get me wrong, Android is not perfect either. For instance, I find the notification bar cluttered and ugly (but I have the ability to change it, so I've made it simpler, like the iPhone). Most widgets don't do anything for me, either.

But overall, since Jelly Bean, Android OS has pulled ahead of iOS. No question in my mind about it. Android 5.0 will be out in a couple of months and based on the leaps of the past OS updates, it will likely make noticeable improvements again. Plus, with new hardware from HTC (the HTC ONE) and Sony, Android is finally getting some well-designed handsets, capable to compete with the iPhone.

iOS has been stagnant and unless Apple starts burning the midnight oil and come up with something WOW!, by this time next year the iPhone's numbers will start looking like BB's.

macUser2007
Mar 1, 2013, 07:43 PM

LOL.

Take a look at this:

Apple blocks emails containing phrase 'barely legal teen' from iCloud in new 'anti-pornography' move (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/apple-blocks-emails-containing-phrase-barely-legal-teen-from-icloud-in-new-antipornography-move-8517285.html)

Macworld completed a test on the service, where they attempted to send two almost identical emails:

1) 'My friend's son is already allowed to drive his high-powered car. It's ridiculous. He's a barely legal teenage driver? What on earth is John thinking'

2) ) 'My friend's son is already allowed to drive his high-powered car. It's ridiculous. He's barely a legal teenage driver? What on earth is John thinking'

On attempting to receive the mails, only the second one got through.

Nooooo! Apple would NEVER monitor what you do! Because they are Apple, right.... :rolleyes:

ravenvii
Mar 1, 2013, 10:39 PM
LOL.

Take a look at this:

Apple blocks emails containing phrase 'barely legal teen' from iCloud in new 'anti-pornography' move (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/apple-blocks-emails-containing-phrase-barely-legal-teen-from-icloud-in-new-antipornography-move-8517285.html)

Nooooo! Apple would NEVER monitor what you do! Because they are Apple, right.... :rolleyes:

Let's see...

If it goes like this;

if(detectPhrase(str) == true)
{
sidebar.displayRelevantAd(str);
storeToDatabase(str);
}

Or like this...

if(detectPhrase(str) == true)
delete(msg);
else
send(msg);

Which one(s) seem like monitoring (in the context of privacy concerns) to you?

(hint: the second snippet is most likely what Apple's servers is doing. This is an issue of either a) overzealous spam filtering (probable), or b) censorship (sinister, but a separate issue from privacy).

The first snippet is, of course, what Google does.)

Abazigal
Mar 1, 2013, 11:08 PM
The fact that you don't think Apple takes in your information and privacy is somewhat scary.

I would sooner park my data with Apple than Google. :p

Personally, I don't care for widgets or live wallpaper or similar android features. I like my phone being a glorified app launcher. But I suppose the issue is - what can Apple do about IOS that doesn't make it seem like they are trying to rip Android off?

Thant was precisely my point - I can change my Galaxy Nexus to make it look like the iPhone, but I cannot change my iPhone..., at all.

You are also ignoring the fact that just because people theoretically have the ability to customise their phone any way they wish doesn't mean that they will, or are bothered to.

I have people on iphone4 still sporting the same IOS4 it shipped with, just like I have friends with S3 and Note2 who don't really do much with their smartphones barring whatsapp/web surfing/calls, Facebook and stuff.

There are still many people for whom, the plethora of android features would be largely wasted on them anyways, or even prove a hindrance to them using the phone. In this aspect, they would not get be getting more value for their money going Android, but more complexity instead.

Iphone's key selling point has always been its simplicity and ease of use. I pray Apple will never forget this. :)

bozzykid
Mar 2, 2013, 12:58 AM
Iphone's key selling point has always been its simplicity and ease of use. I pray Apple will never forget this. :)

In many ways Android has made things much simpler. Trying sharing a picture, etc in iOS. There's no way for true integration with apps. How about getting a missed call. You have to launch the phone app and find your history. In Android, you just look at the notification bar and you can instantly call back or message back. Sure, Apple can keep things simple. But if they don't update iOS, Android will have already made iOS seem more complicated in every facet.

Soundflunky
Mar 2, 2013, 07:51 AM
With iOS omissions becoming more and more obvious, I'm starting to think it's not a case of arrogance or curation, but that Apple are terrified of touching anything they don't explicitly own a patent for. The US got really paranoid about nukes for decades after dropping some of their own. Maybe Apple's so focused on patent disputes that they're hyper-aware of infringement. I'm not even saying this has just started. Maybe they've been this way for decades but it's only showing itself now because they've become so litigious.

rtomyj
Mar 2, 2013, 11:26 AM
You know what's funny? People always argue that Android has great things and that Apple is taking it nice and slow on their implementations. No quad core, AMOLED display, flash player, etc. Well, flash player is dead. Adobe isn't focusing on mobile flash anymore. On the next S phone, Samsung is speculated to not use an AMOLED display. Quad core? Wasn't the iPhone 5 the one of the fastest phone when it came out? Yea that's dual core beating quad core. Bigger battery? Yea the OS doesn't waste resources as freely as Android (granted many users use their phone like crazy and would love a bigger battery). Removable battery? Have you noticed that Android OEM's are doeing this less and less? Why? Less moving parts. They have to put something in the phone that takes space to check if the battery is inserted or not.
Looks like Apple is doing things just fine ;-)

Soundflunky
Mar 2, 2013, 11:31 AM
But this thread is about software. :confused:

rtomyj
Mar 2, 2013, 12:16 PM
But this thread is about software. :confused:

I don't think you get my point. Apple doesn't do things because other people want them to, or because other companies do. They want the best products. Yes iOS 7 will see change, but they are not going to do it because some guy in the Internet is saying they should.

Silvereel
Mar 2, 2013, 12:45 PM
In many ways Android has made things much simpler. Trying sharing a picture, etc in iOS. There's no way for true integration with apps. How about getting a missed call. You have to launch the phone app and find your history. In Android, you just look at the notification bar and you can instantly call back or message back. Sure, Apple can keep things simple. But if they don't update iOS, Android will have already made iOS seem more complicated in every facet.

iOS puts all missed calls in notification center, too :cool:

Hail Caesar
Mar 2, 2013, 12:46 PM
Apple is doing just fine. Let not your heart be troubled.

irDigital0l
Mar 2, 2013, 02:41 PM
Apple is doing just fine. Let not your heart be troubled.

I'm sure their stock is doing fine.

bozzykid
Mar 2, 2013, 07:55 PM
iOS puts all missed calls in notification center, too :cool:

And what happens when you click on the notification? In Android, you don't have to launch the phone app. You can take action on the notifications (text back or call back). I've used both and Android is way simpler in this area.

DoctorFedora
Mar 2, 2013, 07:59 PM
let's face it, apple stopped innovating before jobs died.

guys lets face it apple never actually even existed as a computer company

it was all just an elaborate conspiracy

Digital Skunk
Mar 2, 2013, 08:06 PM
I like the path Apple is taking, I have no doubt they will come up with some big improvements in the nest OS update.

We've been saying that since iOS4 really. iOS 5 was nice, but nothing breakthrough, and some . . . . a very small number, considered Android to be on par then. Once iOS 6 came, it was a done deal.

C) Both A & B

I agree, and I am going to need you to continue posting well thought out comments in much of these threads. I personally believe it will be C. Apple has to really decide whether they want to change the user experience, or stick with it. Both tough decisions.

I agree. The last thing they did was bring out the original iPhone, which it seems only the upper echelon of tech nerd knows was an amalgamation of current tech, with the real innovation coming with iOS.

CosmicDice
Mar 2, 2013, 10:16 PM
Just hope that Apple test Jailbreak tweaks and makes them part of offical iOS. There are many good ideas that Apple could use. For exsample 5 icon dock and notification center things.

I also hope Apple dont change iOS too much, I like it as it is. Simple, working and easy to use. Please, no widgets Apple.

Digital Skunk
Mar 2, 2013, 11:12 PM
Just hope that Apple test Jailbreak tweaks and makes them part of offical iOS. There are many good ideas that Apple could use. For exsample 5 icon dock and notification center things.

I also hope Apple dont change iOS too much, I like it as it is. Simple, working and easy to use. Please, no widgets Apple.

I agree. Only having four icons across on my Note II was kinda of a let down. They have five in the drawer, why not on the homescreen one would wonder.

The great part about widgets, is that you can turn them off. I'd rather have the option. I live in Google Calendar, and having both a month widget and a day widget on my home screen saves me much needed time.

Beeplance
Mar 3, 2013, 07:28 AM
I would sooner park my data with Apple than Google. :p

Personally, I don't care for widgets or live wallpaper or similar android features. I like my phone being a glorified app launcher. But I suppose the issue is - what can Apple do about IOS that doesn't make it seem like they are trying to rip Android off?

You are also ignoring the fact that just because people theoretically have the ability to customise their phone any way they wish doesn't mean that they will, or are bothered to.

I have people on iphone4 still sporting the same IOS4 it shipped with, just like I have friends with S3 and Note2 who don't really do much with their smartphones barring whatsapp/web surfing/calls, Facebook and stuff.

There are still many people for whom, the plethora of android features would be largely wasted on them anyways, or even prove a hindrance to them using the phone. In this aspect, they would not get be getting more value for their money going Android, but more complexity instead.

Going Android/Windows Phone 8 for my next phone I think.

Our country is full of iPhones and GALAXY phones. Board the MRT, everywhere iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, GALAXY S III, GALAXY NOTE II. It's a smartphone epidemic.

dirkyd3rk
Mar 3, 2013, 08:50 AM
iOS is boring and lame. It's an app drawer combined with an iPod. That's all it is. It does those two things right. Android as an os especially the latest flavor is incredible. I own the 4s and a nexus 4 and I switch between them both weekly. Androids software is only getting better. Ios 6 could be compared to gingerbread in terms of things it can do which is sad.

Silvereel
Mar 3, 2013, 09:52 AM
And what happens when you click on the notification? In Android, you don't have to launch the phone app. You can take action on the notifications (text back or call back). I've used both and Android is way simpler in this area.

I can see the value of texting back from the notification itself. To be honest, I don't know why Apple hasn't implemented that yet. I hate to sound like the guy on the Samsung commercial, but I'm sure we'll get that next time ;) Still, a pretty minor feature, so I think we'll be okay.

Not sure why you'd want to make a phone call without opening the phone app, though. To me, it's too much trouble to focus on a call and keep using another app at the same time, but that's just me.

bozzykid
Mar 3, 2013, 11:34 AM
I can see the value of texting back from the notification itself. To be honest, I don't know why Apple hasn't implemented that yet. I hate to sound like the guy on the Samsung commercial, but I'm sure we'll get that next time ;) Still, a pretty minor feature, so I think we'll be okay.

Not sure why you'd want to make a phone call without opening the phone app, though. To me, it's too much trouble to focus on a call and keep using another app at the same time, but that's just me.

It's not a "minor" feature. It expands to all apps (like music apps having controls built right into the notification center). What it does is it keeps you from feeling like all you are doing is opening and closing apps all day looking for your notification. You can perform actions without even having to jump into apps themselves. It's really a game changer in the way you use a phone.

Smartass
Mar 3, 2013, 04:48 PM
the new Google Nexus phone is a great device especially android OS on it is really smooth and fast. iPhone 5 has a great design... and thats about it. Unfortunatelly.

Evoken
Mar 3, 2013, 06:49 PM
I think this will be an interesting year for both Android and iOS as far as their design goes. On the one hand in Apple we have ive taking over the design of iOS, so I think we will see a refresh of the interface doing away in some way with the whole skeuomorphism that has dominated iOS since it's inception. Without Forestall in the way pushing for skeuomorphism (and Jobs who also pushed for it), I think Apple will be more willing to experiment with their current design and inject some fresh ideas into the 'stale' interface iOS currently has.

On the other hand Google has been pushing for a consistent design across all their apps as seen in both the web and mobile version of many of their apps as the latest iOS apps they have released show (Maps, Google+, etc) and they have, I would say, finally found their own design language. I think it is only a matter of time before that visual style finds it's way into Android itself. Perhaps Key Lime Pie (Android 5.0) will feature it just as Apple's iOS 7 will feature Ive's design style.

It will be interesting to see how things play out.

Insulin Junkie
Mar 3, 2013, 11:16 PM
I think it is only a matter of time before that visual style finds it's way into Android itself. Perhaps Key Lime Pie (Android 5.0) will feature it just as Apple's iOS 7 will feature Ive's design style.

It will be interesting to see how things play out.

Mostly irrelevant.

Perhaps it's not what concerns their forthcoming Moto phones, where google has full control over both hard and software, however Google's own design (outside of their own apps) is next to irrelevant when it comes to non-google owned OEM's. Unless google switch out the linux kernel (and with it the linux filesystem they employ) and make it closed source to actively forbid people fiddling around with it (which would also include essentially forbidding OEM's to use SD card slots on their device since Android has no native support for SD cards, it's the OEM's that code the SD functionality into it, it's not actually abstracted, the phone treats it as an extra folder in the file system, resulting in a bit of a clusterf...) OEM's are also pushing their own design and feature set more than ever, google imposing their own design isn't only not viable, it's actively counter-productive, seeing as part of what makes android so attractive for OEM's is the freedom to slap their custom rom on top of it. (This goes for the user, too, obv) There's a few good articles on the increasing importance of OEM roms for the OEM's floating around somewhere, but I'm too lazy to go find em right now.

As long as the kernel remains open source, there is no way google can stop OEMs from completely altering the design and adding their own apps and functionality, which of course, most of the major players are already doing with almost all of their android phones. Of course, it wouldn't take google long to make their own closed-source kernel to regain control, given google's experience with linux, and the fact they pretty much resorted to the linux kernel in the first place because it was the most convenient thing, I highly doubt it, though. Somehow, it just wouldn't be android anymore, also, you can be sure they wouldn't suddenly get the idea to support SD cards, seeing as they're eager as anyone to push people into the cloud... expect OEM's to include yet more of their own functionality in the future, because it's precisely this feature set which is becoming the major selling point for OEM's, as opposed to "it's running android".

I personally think this is a good thing, I usually don't like where things go when companies have tight control over every aspect of the OS and hardware. Just becomes too... proprietary somehow, and we're back in "imposed vision land". I don't want neither Jobs nor Cook nor anyone at Google to tell me what I can and cannot do with my phone... hell, that's why I switched to Android in the first place. It's bad enough JB lost GB's "set as ringtone" option for music files, and bad enough that there's a ton of google apps you can't delete without rooting your phone. (What's worse is that those stupid apps actually drain your battery as there seems to be no real way to truly delete, or even properly disable them, and some just constantly run and update in the background, sucking on your battery... puke...) If it gets any worse, I'm gone.

OSxiPro
Mar 4, 2013, 07:02 AM
I have no idea what exactly is "everything you've seen from Android.".
Those screenshots remind me of my old android from 2010-ish. That thing was ugly too. I can see you put some icon theme on to replicate the iOS theme effect but it just doesn't work. I was thinking of switching to a droid again lately but now I just don't think I want to touch one again.

I actually want someone to convince me to get an android. Could someone post some different pics that could tempt me? And don't mention widgets because I don't care for them, I get automatic notifications as soon as I need them and widgets just won't help, and also don't mention customisation; it's a phone for gods sake and I would rather customise a GNU/Linux installation.

The main thing that disappoints me about android is the awful tablet apps and wonder how long it would take to get even 10% the quality of what's available on the iPad.

Digital Skunk
Mar 4, 2013, 12:21 PM
Those screenshots remind me of my old android from 2010-ish. That thing was ugly too. I can see you put some icon theme on to replicate the iOS theme effect but it just doesn't work. I was thinking of switching to a droid again lately but now I just don't think I want to touch one again.

I actually want someone to convince me to get an android. Could someone post some different pics that could tempt me? And don't mention widgets because I don't care for them, I get automatic notifications as soon as I need them and widgets just won't help, and also don't mention customisation; it's a phone for gods sake and I would rather customise a GNU/Linux installation.

The main thing that disappoints me about android is the awful tablet apps and wonder how long it would take to get even 10% the quality of what's available on the iPad.

Do you want us to convince you to buy a tablet or a phone? If the main thing that disappoints is the tablet apps then what's wrong with the phones?

Personally, I find the tablet apps, far superior to the ones on iOS. For the longest time many cross platform developers had to "dumb-down" iOS apps for the iPhone yet the Android, Android tablet, and iPad apps were full featured.

Now, as far as convincing, that's something we'd need much more information from you to do. I am not going to try however, since all the reasons I switched to Android are 100% related to what I needed in a device.

OSxiPro
Mar 4, 2013, 12:40 PM
Do you want us to convince you to buy a tablet or a phone? If the main thing that disappoints is the tablet apps then what's wrong with the phones?

Personally, I find the tablet apps, far superior to the ones on iOS. For the longest time many cross platform developers had to "dumb-down" iOS apps for the iPhone yet the Android, Android tablet, and iPad apps were full featured.

Now, as far as convincing, that's something we'd need much more information from you to do. I am not going to try however, since all the reasons I switched to Android are 100% related to what I needed in a device.

I was talking about either but am interested in these better tablet apps. I know some developers felt the need to dumb down some apps but there are also some powerful ones like coda, etc on the iPad. Could you give some example of android tablet apps that are superior to those found on the iPad? I really love delving deep into applications on other platforms but I tend to find iOS apps better, not because they are dumbed down but because they work really well and have had a lot of time poured into them.

Please don't think I'm elitist - I'm far from it. I just want something that works great without too much hassle because I prefer to tinker with computers to be honest.

Thanks for the reply.

Insulin Junkie
Mar 4, 2013, 01:58 PM
I know some developers felt the need to dumb down some apps

I doubt developers "felt the need to" not provide in-app links to non-app store purchasing methods, I doubt developers "choose to" gimp or completely omit inter-app communication, I doubt devs "choose to" give their browser a disadvantage to apple's stock browser Safari from the offset, etc, etc. Apple impose these needless limitations, not sure why you seem to think the developers have any say in this... they *have* to, because Apple forces them to.
I'm not sure why you're defending actually getting less for no reason other than to fill apple's pockets, these limitations aren't there on android and what concerns stability, had apps crash on me at least 10 times since upgrading to iOS 6.x.x, on my iPhone5 no apps crashed on my droid phone in that time period.

As for simplicity, if by "simplicity" you mean "less features for no good reason", then yeah.

macUser2007
Mar 4, 2013, 02:26 PM
Those screenshots remind me of my old android from 2010-ish. That thing was ugly too. I can see you put some icon theme on to replicate the iOS theme effect but it just doesn't work. I was thinking of switching to a droid again lately but now I just don't think I want to touch one again....

As I mentioned, you are free to disagree with my particular color scheme, icon choices, or a launcher choice.

But the (much, much, much) larger point I was making was that you CAN change things according to your individual preferences. AND add to this the points made above by Insulin Junkie, to get the main thrust of this thread: iOS is falling behind Android and unless Apple does something fairly dramatic about it, in a year or two its market share will be in the single digits.

I don't understand why you even bring up Android circa 2010. Jelly Bean is a very different and much more polished version of the Android OS, and as I noted, it is the first version of Android OS which IMO is clearly superior to iOS.

Your statement is akin to someone remembering Mac OS 7 and swearing off Macs forever because of it.

batting1000
Mar 4, 2013, 02:36 PM
I have no idea what exactly is "everything you've seen from Android."

You can have a grid only, or you can have a combination of a grid and some widgets, or something else. You can change the icons, if you want to, or the names, or have text only screen, or whatever.

For reference, here are screengrabs of the only two screens I have on my Galaxy Nexus, which are, frankly, more user friendly overall than what I have on my iPhone 5. You may or may not like my choice of icons, background, or widgets, but they are all easily changeable (by a long press, generally).

The iPhone 5 is a much nicer piece of hardware, but iOS definitely feels behind Jelly Bean.

Little things that you take for granted in Android (cross-app integration, ability to chose a much better keyboard, and yes, multitasking at times) are stumbling blocks in iOS that are getting harder to overlook.

Jelly Bean is the first Android OS that I felt was better than iOS, but also note that Google is likely to announce Android OS 5 in May 2013, which will presumably push the platform further ahead. The reality is that Apple has been stagnant, while Google has been hard at work and has finally reached its stride with the OS.

If I were Apple, I'd actually worry about Chrome OS as well, because while it is rather useless now, it is getting better and it looks like Google is pushing it pretty hard. And it sure does have the potential to be the first real desktop OS contender in decades, and a formidable one at that, if done right.

Add to this Google's (and Netflix's) open Air-Play challenge and most will see that Apple cannot rest on its laurels and trickle minor updates without any real innovation.

---

I can honestly say that home screen looks like garbage.

OSxiPro
Mar 4, 2013, 02:46 PM
I doubt developers "felt the need to" not provide in-app links to non-app store purchasing methods, I doubt developers "choose to" gimp or completely omit inter-app communication, I doubt devs "choose to" give their browser a disadvantage to apple's stock browser Safari from the offset, etc, etc. Apple impose these needless limitations, not sure why you seem to think the developers have any say in this... they *have* to, because Apple forces them to.
I'm not sure why you're defending actually getting less for no reason other than to fill apple's pockets, these limitations aren't there on android and what concerns stability, had apps crash on me at least 10 times since upgrading to iOS 6.x.x, on my iPhone5 no apps crashed on my droid phone in that time period.

As for simplicity, if by "simplicity" you mean "less features for no good reason", then yeah.

For starters the engine used with safari is locked down for supposed security warnings, I disagree with the lock down on it but hey-ho it is not a deal breaker because the other browsers still work decently. Safari on my iPad has higher performance than most of my browsers I use on a desktop which is why I never opt to change it for an alternative. I don't believe I said simplicity - I said the apps had more time out into them and some of them work great without the need to fiddle, which is not necessarily saying they are simpler - just easier. There is a difference.

You know what I said in 2010? iOS is so locked down and you can't do this that or e other with it but even-though that is the case - at least you know you can actually do stuff on it smoothly with decent stability. Your iOS device crashes apps and your android doesn't? We must be living in different dimensions. I had the exact opposite - my old android crashed all the ****ing time and even though I could play with it I soon moved to a stable phone that actually works well without unexpected problems.

Kind Regards,
OsxIpro.

----------

I don't understand why you even bring up Android circa 2010. Jelly Bean is a very different and much more polished version of the Android OS, and as I noted, it is the first version of Android OS which IMO is clearly superior to iOS.

Your statement is akin to someone remembering Mac OS 7 and swearing off Macs forever because of it.

Well, I was just talking about MY phone(2010) but I also bought my partner an android tablet (late 2012) with 4.1 or 4.2 I forgot on it and almost the exact same applies to that sadly. I actually bought it for myself to play around with it, but it felt almost the same - but a little smoother I must admit so I just gave it to her, lol.

It's not clearly superior, yet! But it could be in the next few versions if its worked on enough. My argument is based of experience, thank you very much.

Kind Regards,
OsxIpro.

Insulin Junkie
Mar 4, 2013, 03:25 PM
For starters the engine used with safari is locked down for supposed security warnings, I disagree with the lock down on it but hey-ho it is not a deal breaker because the other browsers still work decently. Safari on my iPad has higher performance than most of my browsers I use on a desktop which is why I never opt to change it for an alternative. I don't believe I said simplicity - I said the apps had more time out into them and some of them work great without the need to fiddle, which is not necessarily saying they are simpler - just easier. There is a difference.

You know what I said in 2010? iOS is so locked down and you can't do this that or e other with it but even-though that is the case - at least you know you can actually do stuff on it smoothly with decent stability. Your iOS device crashes apps and your android doesn't? We must be living in different dimensions. I had the exact opposite - my old android crashed all the ****ing time and even though I could play with it I soon moved to a stable phone that actually works well without unexpected problems.

Kind Regards,
OsxIpro.

If you're fine with the browser thing, and the aforementioned features being gimped or missing from apps, lack of customization, etc. you're free to like whichever OS you prefer (a lot of people don't care for these things, and that's perfectly fine). If it's your cup of tea, by all means, use it.
I generally agree with the smoother experience bit (for how long apple will yet have that advantage over android, I don't know, also depends heavily on the OEM's custom rom...) And we are on *Mac*rumors after all, so hey, no place to be too antagonistic. For me personally, Android was a homecoming, and I feel there'll be even more speaking for it in the future, each to their own though.

macUser2007
Mar 4, 2013, 04:11 PM

Well, I was just talking about MY phone(2010) but I also bought my partner an android tablet (late 2012) with 4.1 or 4.2 I forgot on it and almost the exact same applies to that sadly. I actually bought it for myself to play around with it, but it felt almost the same - but a little smoother I must admit so I just gave it to her, lol.

It's not clearly superior, yet! But it could be in the next few versions if its worked on enough. My argument is based of experience, thank you very much.

I can't speak to tablets, since I use iPads only :) I cannot stand the 16x9 screen ration virtually all Androids have on their tablets. It's useless for web browsing, useless for magazine or PDF reading, useless even for game playing.

But on my Galaxy Nexus (which is a year older than my iPhone 5) the Android OS (4.2.2) is at least as smooth as iOS and it simply does more, and in many cases, better. Overall, Jelly Bean does provide a better experience than iOS, IMO.

I can honestly say that home screen looks like garbage.

And I can honestly say that your comment is garbage, as it does not pertain to anything we are discussing here. :rolleyes:

BenTrovato
Mar 4, 2013, 06:13 PM
A lot of nitpicking over features that sound good in theory but really have no useful application. Both platforms do the important tasks very well.

I use the Nexus 4 and GS3 quite a bit and they're outstanding products. Better than iOS? Maybe ..if you think so. If you've been on android for a while and missed ios 4-6, switching to the iPhone will appear like jumping 20 years into the future. Conversely, if you've been using iPhones for the past 3 years, switching to android will be a breath of fresh air. It's relativity, neither product is far superior than the other. If anything, the person who wrote the article is closed minded for staying on one platform for way too long so when they make the switch they're eyes are opened forgetting to realize they've been stuck in the same place for years. You can make the case both ways but anyone who tells me one is so much better than the other (right now, in 2013) hasn't spent enough time on both platforms. You might like one over the other but in my opinion they are both on par right now. Choose your poison, but their effectiveness is the same.

tmanto02
Mar 4, 2013, 07:59 PM
I dont want Apple to chose what is best for me on the phone , I want the freedom to chose what is best for me on my phone

I think you are out of luck there - Apple became the biggest tech company in the world by telling the consumer what they want and they have done a great job so far.

Yes there is room for improvement, but I think Ive will pull through :)

MindsEye
Mar 5, 2013, 12:28 AM
With how impressive Jelly Bean has been in terms of both performance and productivity and with the fact Key Lime Pie is going to be first out of the gate, i really don't think Apple can afford to rest on it's laurels like it did with ios6.

Personally at this point, i couldn't care less about skeuomorphism and i really hope this is not high on priority. I hope the main area of focus is revising existing feature's such as multitasking, notification centre, folders etc. Also adding new features only seen on the jail breaking scene and other platfroms such as a file repository, new multitouch gestures, app scaling etc.

You can't speak of a 'Post PC era' while putting Social networking and gimmicks like Passbook and Siri at the forefront this is not whats going to push me away from my PC or Laptop. My next iPad is most likely going to be my first jail broken device if ios7 follows in the same vein as 6.

BergerFan
Mar 5, 2013, 09:51 AM
Dangit, you should've put FLASH PLAYER as your 1st point, so I could've stopped reading there :rolleyes:Haha. It all seemed legit until then.

silvetti
Mar 5, 2013, 01:35 PM
iOS has been stagnant and unless Apple starts burning the midnight oil and come up with something WOW!, by this time next year the iPhone's numbers will start looking like BB's.

Did you really just write that ?
Specially the last part ? Give me what you are smoking, I want some :D

rocat1997
Mar 5, 2013, 03:57 PM
While android may have cool features, I do not feel it is safe and secure. Seems every month I read about hackers and viruses with android and advice that you need a virus scanner. I have sensitive information on my phone. Security is critical. Also, advertising. Can't stand it. Don't want it. Google can keep it. Apple may not be flashy, but, their polished and their graphics are the best. I've looked at the galaxy 3 and it just don't hold a key to apple. Is android bad? I don't think so. Everyone in this world doesn't need complexity. Everyone doesn't need advanced levels of customization. I find those items never get used after the new wears off. Apple is a niche market. Those that love them will still love them. They have a nice product, their stores always take care of my needs and are willing to help. They will survive.

irDigital0l
Mar 5, 2013, 06:09 PM
While android may have cool features, I do not feel it is safe and secure. Seems every month I read about hackers and viruses with android and advice that you need a virus scanner. I have sensitive information on my phone. Security is critical. Also, advertising. Can't stand it. Don't want it. Google can keep it. Apple may not be flashy, but, their polished and their graphics are the best. I've looked at the galaxy 3 and it just don't hold a key to apple. Is android bad? I don't think so. Everyone in this world doesn't need complexity. Everyone doesn't need advanced levels of customization. I find those items never get used after the new wears off. Apple is a niche market. Those that love them will still love them. They have a nice product, their stores always take care of my needs and are willing to help. They will survive.

Android is just like iOS. If you don't go on the web and download nasty, random crap, your won't get affected.

You wont viruses if you download Pandora or Instagram on your Android device. Anyone says that you can't is just lying.

Its easier to get viruses on Android only because its "open". But if you just use it normally or know what your downloading, your fine.

Also iOS apps leak more info than their Android counterparts
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/05/ios-apps-leak-more-personal-data-than-do-android-apps---report

rocat1997
Mar 5, 2013, 06:53 PM
No thanks, the risk is not worth it. I like apples product. I like apples simplicity. Their product is well made and bery reliable. Their seems to be quite a few anti apple people on an apple board.

macUser2007
Mar 6, 2013, 01:14 AM
Did you really just write that ?
Specially the last part ? Give me what you are smoking, I want some :D

LG just regained the number 2 spot for mobile phone sales from Apple, largely because of the unexpectedly high Nexus 4 sales.

Apple's has staked its future on iOS and its stock is down a third, largely because of the unexpectedly weak (compared to projections) iPhone 5 sales.

Yep, I just wrote that. There was a time when BB and Nokia looked invincible, too.

Times change. Particularly when mighty companies do not.

Liberty.
Mar 6, 2013, 03:32 AM
iOS still has the better apps.

silvetti
Mar 6, 2013, 05:45 AM
LG just regained the number 2 spot for mobile phone sales from Apple, largely because of the unexpectedly high Nexus 4 sales.

Apple's has staked its future on iOS and its stock is down a third, largely because of the unexpectedly weak (compared to projections) iPhone 5 sales.

Yep, I just wrote that. There was a time when BB and Nokia looked invincible, too.

Times change. Particularly when mighty companies do not.

You do realize how much money Apple has in the bank that Nokia and RIM didn't, right ?

Just to give you an idea...

Apple has 100+Billion dollars in CASH, not stock, not realstate property. Cash.

Just to explain to you, RIM maximum market cap around 2008 was 70Billion dollars, that is total value of their share x number of shares.

Now they are worth 6,5B.

Also don't compare Apple with RIM or Nokia... as you know Apple makes more than tablets and phones... Go check how much money Apple makes from the rest :)

You will find out that Apple is not coming to an end as many would like (just because it's cool to say).

Smartass
Mar 6, 2013, 06:41 AM

which ones? last time i checked most of apps available in appstore are also available on Google play store. This was true couple of years ago, nowadays theres really no difference

----------

You do realize how much money Apple has in the bank that Nokia and RIM didn't, right ?

Just to give you an idea...

Apple has 100+Billion dollars in CASH, not stock, not realstate property. Cash.

Just to explain to you, RIM maximum market cap around 2008 was 70Billion dollars, that is total value of their share x number of shares.

Now they are worth 6,5B.

Also don't compare Apple with RIM or Nokia... as you know Apple makes more than tablets and phones... Go check how much money Apple makes from the rest :)

You will find out that Apple is not coming to an end as many would like (just because it's cool to say).
Those 100 billion can go away as fast as they came. Couple of years of bad sales and suddenly there wont be any left

Shearwater
Mar 6, 2013, 06:47 AM
It's simple.....Apple will copy Android and spend the next 15 years denying it...paying small fines until everyone has moved on!
Cheaper than R&D

LooZ
Mar 6, 2013, 06:58 AM

Better Apps? Which one?

Maps?
Stock?
Weather?
Notes?

I don't think so...

macUser2007
Mar 6, 2013, 06:04 PM
Better Apps? Which one?

Maps?
Stock?
Weather?
Notes?

I don't think so...

Yep. I have to agree.

Some here seem stuck in a time-warp, where Android is still a primitive, "me-too" mobile OS. But it's come a long way and the last two rounds it's been Apple who has been following suit: top-bar notifications, (limited) multitasking, free maps with turn-by-turn navigation, folders..., all "borrowed" from Android.

In fact, the ONLY app that I use and cannot get on both platforms is Noom's CardioTrainer, which is IMO the best exercise tracking app out there, but is currently available for Android only (they are supposedly working on an iOS version).

Don't get me wrong, I really believe that Apple is one of the few electronics giants which cares about design and I really want them to keep going strong. I just hate that they are slipping dangerously, even if the faithful don't see it.

Digital Skunk
Mar 6, 2013, 06:04 PM
Better Apps? Which one?

Maps?
Stock?
Weather?
Notes?

I don't think so...

Agreed. Any app worth downloading is already cross platform. Those apps that are "exclusive" to iOS usually have on par or better counterparts. Much everything else is offered as service or is just not worth downloading for the vast majority.

armandxp
Mar 6, 2013, 08:01 PM
I have to say, I love my iPhone 5. I've had it from day 1. It continues to be super fast, super responsive, looks beautiful, works flawlessly. Anything they bring in the future to add onto this will be greatly appreciated. I love the camera and I can't be happier!

rocat1997
Mar 6, 2013, 08:42 PM
I agree. iPhone 5 rocks. Androids blow. Their colors are muted on every phone I see. Their icons are pitiful looking. I saw a galaxy the other day and I couldn't see the screen outside. I also have friends that constantly complain that their car don't work with their android. My apple does flawlessly. Who cares about all the customization. I want a product that works. Is easy and quick to use. Apples product works and works well. And Apples typically get apps first. And anyone that says that's not so, doesn't know. I don't know why everyone nails the apps listed above. They've always worked fine for me. And googles maps has issues too. Led me to the wrong place on a couple of occasions. Nothing is perfect in the world.

ravenvii
Mar 6, 2013, 09:17 PM
Agreed. Any app worth downloading is already cross platform. Those apps that are "exclusive" to iOS usually have on par or better counterparts. Much everything else is offered as service or is just not worth downloading for the vast majority.

That's true for the majority of cases. However, quality is another story.

A prime example: Flipboard. Nearly flawless on iOS. A buggy mess on Android.

Another example? Chrome, of all apps. Yes, Google's own Chrome. Yes, yes, I know on iOS it's just a UIWebView wrapper, blah blah. But what a UIWebView wrapper! The app as a whole is smoother and more of a pleasure to use than its Android counterpart. It even has touches that sets it on a higher level. Example: drag the recently viewed pages/bookmarks/Google account part and watch the bar move from over a icon to another on the bottom right of the screen. On Android, it doesn't move, it just changes -- and you can't scroll between screens, either. You have to tap the icon instead. Welcome to 2007!

irDigital0l
Mar 6, 2013, 10:39 PM
I agree. iPhone 5 rocks. Androids blow. Their colors are muted on every phone I see. Their icons are pitiful looking. I saw a galaxy the other day and I couldn't see the screen outside. I also have friends that constantly complain that their car don't work with their android. My apple does flawlessly. Who cares about all the customization. I want a product that works. Is easy and quick to use. Apples product works and works well. And Apples typically get apps first. And anyone that says that's not so, doesn't know. I don't know why everyone nails the apps listed above. They've always worked fine for me. And googles maps has issues too. Led me to the wrong place on a couple of occasions. Nothing is perfect in the world.

Your post is deemed invalid until you learn to write sentences that contain more than five words.

"My apple does flawlessly."

LOL

Digital Skunk
Mar 6, 2013, 11:00 PM
That's true for the majority of cases. However, quality is another story.

A prime example: Flipboard. Nearly flawless on iOS. A buggy mess on Android.

Another example? Chrome, of all apps. Yes, Google's own Chrome. Yes, yes, I know on iOS it's just a UIWebView wrapper, blah blah. But what a UIWebView wrapper! The app as a whole is smoother and more of a pleasure to use than its Android counterpart. It even has touches that sets it on a higher level. Example: drag the recently viewed pages/bookmarks/Google account part and watch the bar move from over a icon to another on the bottom right of the screen. On Android, it doesn't move, it just changes -- and you can't scroll between screens, either. You have to tap the icon instead. Welcome to 2007!

I would beg to differ. There are some niggles, but for me it depends on the phone and software version.

Some of the consistent apps I use are better on Android. For the longest time Evernote was just a better app to use on my HTC EVO 4G. It looked just like the iPad version. The iPhone version was dumbed down only until recently, only giving you a single column view that you had to scroll through to find your individual notes.

Google Drive and gmail allowed me to sync and view info for multiple accounts, something the iOS version got recently.

I have no idea what you're talking about in Chrome, but that may be something I am missing.

The only category I see iOS dominating in is multimedia apps such as iMovie and iPhoto. But that's slowly changing as well.

...My apple does flawlessly.

Nothing is perfect in the world.

MOOT!

macUser2007
Mar 7, 2013, 12:26 AM
... And Apples typically get apps first. And anyone that says that's not so, doesn't know....

Dude, I have had and have used both platforms since the early days of each (O.K., I got to Android two generations late). So yeah, I do know where they were and where they are now. And based on this knowledge, I am telling you that Android is ahead of iOS currently. And if Apple doesn't do something about it pronto, they'll be in trouble faster than many realize.

P.S. I wasn't going to bring it up, but since others did, I'll chime in: I sure hope English is not your native language. Otherwise Texas schools must really suck....

John T
Mar 7, 2013, 04:37 AM
And if Apple doesn't do something about it pronto, they'll be in trouble faster than many realize.

P.S. I wasn't going to bring it up, but since others did, I'll chime in: I sure hope English is not your native language. Otherwise Texas schools must really suck....

Being such an expert of the English language, you are obviously aware that a sentence should not begin with proposition. :)

tekno
Mar 7, 2013, 05:22 AM
LOL.

Take a look at this:

Ha ha! Unbelievable! ILLEGAL teen is one thing, but BARELY LEGAL? That's still legal so why should Apple care?

Setting that they delete stuff is hilarious. Google might snoop my Gmail emails, but I don't think they then delete them!

dontpannic
Mar 7, 2013, 05:35 AM

If Android styling is so much better and iOS looks and functions horrible in comparison, why do you have unmatching iOS icons and folders alongside the outline icons on the 'dock'?

Those screengrabs are exactly why people get carried away with customisation and why it is extremely overrated. Look through the Cydia store at people's custom themes. They are all absolutely shocking to look at.

torana355
Mar 7, 2013, 05:40 AM

I left and im loving life on Android with my Nexus 4 on the Franco kernel, i wouldn't go back to my iPhone if someone payed me.

Ashin
Mar 7, 2013, 06:09 AM
iOS has stagnated completely, and is currently beginning to rot and stink up the place.

If iOS7 doesn't bring huge changes, then who knows what will happen... iOS5 and iOS6 are pretty much just .1 upgrades to iOS4.

dontpannic
Mar 7, 2013, 08:46 AM
iOS has stagnated completely, and is currently beginning to rot and stink up the place.

If iOS7 doesn't bring huge changes, then who knows what will happen... iOS5 and iOS6 are pretty much just .1 upgrades to iOS4.

How?

iOS is still better looking and more unified than Android, all it needs is a few tweaks and its good to go for another number of years.

stockscalper
Mar 7, 2013, 11:36 AM
How?

iOS is still better looking and more unified than Android, all it needs is a few tweaks and its good to go for another number of years.

Really? Have you seen or used Jelly Bean with Project Butter? Even jail broken IOS can't compare. Apple really needs to step it up with the next iPhone and IOS because the OS is really looking dated. In fact, it looks exactly the same as it did in 2007 on my first iPhone. Take a look at the HTC One and then compare its OS to the iPhone. It will make you cry.

dontpannic
Mar 7, 2013, 12:15 PM
Really? Have you seen or used Jelly Bean with Project Butter? Even jail broken IOS can't compare. Apple really needs to step it up with the next iPhone and IOS because the OS is really looking dated. In fact, it looks exactly the same as it did in 2007 on my first iPhone. Take a look at the HTC One and then compare its OS to the iPhone. It will make you cry.

Yes, really.

I have used Jelly Bean, and it still contains ridiculous concepts and design 'features' that leave you wondering 'wtf'. Even the way it works and the technical incompatibilities mean that Android still has a long long way to go to convince me to change across.

In what way does the OS look 'dated'? The lack of widgets?

What people fail to understand is an OS is a 'wrapper' if you like. Your work is done inside apps, your work isn't done inside the OS. The OS is there to run your apps - and the fact that people don't like to hear is that iOS is still better at running apps than Android is.

Exchange support is utter turd in Android - where an iPhone can connect with no problems, an Android device simply refuses.

Proxy support is crap in Android - where an iPhone can have individual proxy settings per wifi connection - this is something still lacking in Android. Sure, you can set proxy settings in individual browsers, but that doesn't help the rest of the OS.

CardDav / CalDav? Useless in Android unless you pay for apps which provide the features.

Unified inbox? Yep - but setting up a GMail account sets up your mailbox in the GMail app, not the Mail app - adding it into the mail app gives two notifications per email.

Even stupid things like on the Nexus 4 - the toggles on the notification bar - they're a different nonsensical order in landscape orientation than they are in portrait orientation, and there's no way to change it. Also, what's the point of your name and photo in the notification bar precisely?

Given an hour with the Nexus 4 running the very latest version of Android available for it, I still managed to make the browser crash twice, along with the Google Maps application, and I even got a very confusing error message telling me that a system service had crashed and if I wanted to report it. How exactly is this helpful for a non-technical user?

Slow performance in Chrome with web apps... tapping a photo asks me which app I want to open it in, then asks me again (every time) if I want to open it with this application in future. Its unnecessary steps I don't need when I want to have a look at a photo.

Don't get me started on scrolling, which insists on wanting to snap me to either horizontal or vertical scrolling, and have to have a violent finger movement in order to make it realise I do want to scroll this website a different direction.

As far as I could see, the Facebook app wanted access to every part of my phone in order to install (even down to call logs and text messages!!) Why? Why can't I select what I want the Facebook app to do, like I do with the Facebook app when it requests access on iOS?

The gimmicky face unlock was just crazy too - refuses to work in anything but daylight, and another ridiculous point which is a very minor one but an annoyance at that, why do I have to push the enter key when I've finished entering my 4 digit passcode? I've entered the passcode, just unlock!!

Having a separate alphabetical app drawer is crazy too - i don't want to have to open up another area to get to an app I don't use too often but need anyway.

The lack of iMessage is the big dealbreaker though. On Android, some people have WhatsApp, some have Kik, some have Skype, some have GTalk - everyone who has an iPhone (which to be fair is 70% of my contact list) have iMessage built in as standard and activated which means that I know when I contact them I can do it over Wifi, and not use standard text messages, without using an additional app, and being synced with my Mac.

Sorry - that was much longer than I intended it to be. I'm sure people are going to come on here, tell me I'm being ridiculous, break down every point and offer me a highly technical workaround or tell me I can fix this particular annoyance by downloading something from the Google Play store, but that's not the point. What I consider to be an average user does not want to do these things - they want to get a phone and use it.

At the end of the day - iOS simply needs a few new features added and to make better use of the lockscreen and it will remain - as it is today - the more user friendly, reliable OS that it has always been. The iOS bashing is not necessary.

nuckinfutz
Mar 7, 2013, 12:29 PM
iOS 6 is fine and Apple doesn't have to create something "amazing" for iOS 7.

For every jaded wannabe geek here prattling on about how iOS 7 needs to impress them there are 3 people on China Mobile that can't wait to buy the next iPhone.

It doesn't matter if you are upset or leave the platform. There are built in sales in the millions coming from pending launches on China Mobile and DoCoMo.

Far too many others are talking about OS architecture and clearly do not have a clue about where Apple is headed.

If you don't know the fundamentals of each OS then how can you articulate the real differences between the two.

Saying that Google Now is superior to Siri is foolish. What if you speak a language that Google Now doesn't support yet.

It's easy to get caught up in you own needs and fail to consider that there are another 7 billion people on the planet that have different needs.

Playing armchair analyst is fun but in now way does Apple have to kowtow to this puerile behavior. They have a business to run.

torana355
Mar 7, 2013, 12:43 PM
iOS 6 is fine and Apple doesn't have to create something "amazing" for iOS 7.

For every jaded wannabe geek here prattling on about how iOS 7 needs to impress them there are 3 people on China Mobile that can't wait to buy the next iPhone.

It doesn't matter if you are upset or leave the platform. There are built in sales in the millions coming from pending launches on China Mobile and DoCoMo.

Far too many others are talking about OS architecture and clearly do not have a clue about where Apple is headed.

If you don't know the fundamentals of each OS then how can you articulate the real differences between the two.

Saying that Google Now is superior to Siri is foolish. What if you speak a language that Google Now doesn't support yet.

It's easy to get caught up in you own needs and fail to consider that there are another 7 billion people on the planet that have different needs.

Playing armchair analyst is fun but in now way does Apple have to kowtow to this puerile behavior. They have a business to run.

I remember people saying the same thing about other products/brands when they we in the same position as Apple are now with iOS, those brands are now struggling ;) For the moment you are right, Apple have plenty of iSheep that will buy anything Apple serve up, but you can only stay behind the competition for so long before even the most devoted fans start switching, for example im a massive Apple fan that has owned almost every iPhone but im loving my Nexus 4 WAY more then the iPhone ATM. If a big Apple fan like me can make the switch there will be plenty more doing the same.

dontpannic
Mar 7, 2013, 12:47 PM
I remember people saying the same thing about other products/brands when they we in the same position as Apple are now with iOS, those brands are now struggling ;) For the moment you are right, Apple have plenty of iSheep that will buy anything Apple serve up, but you can only stay behind the competition for so long before even the most devoted fans start switching, for example im a massive Apple fan that has owned almost every iPhone but im loving my Nexus 4 WAY more then the iPhone ATM. If a big Apple fan like me can make the switch there will be plenty more doing the same.

Please explain how iOS is behind the competition exactly?

nuckinfutz
Mar 7, 2013, 12:52 PM

Yet such brands remain a mystery. We're supposed to guess as to which companies you're talking about? I know of know company with Apples mite that has fallen on tough times. Even Microsoft still makes a lot of profit off of basically three standout products. Windows/Office/Xbox

I'm not an Apple fan. I'm a fan of doing things the right way. To date Apple has tickled that area better than most.

Apple's demise is not coming anytime soon. They have nearly 400 retail stores that still do gangbusters in business. Apple is increasingly adding personnel to handle the next phase which is more ambitious custom SoC designs.

Apple is really unique in that even Steve Jobs himself left the company and could not find the success he had with Apple. It really is a blessed company.

tekno
Mar 7, 2013, 12:57 PM
I like apples simplicity.

My Mum and Dad, two aunties and 73 year old grandmother also like the simplicity of their iPhones and iPads.

My 23 year old brother prefers Windows Phone and I (31) have gone for Android. We don't need simplicity. We want fun, useful, open, productive devices with plenty of choice of hardware.

nuckinfutz
Mar 7, 2013, 01:00 PM
My Mum and Dad, two aunties and 73 year old grandmother also like the simplicity of their iPhones and iPads.

My 23 year old brother prefers Windows Phone and I (31) have gone for Android. We don't need simplicity. We want fun, useful, open, productive devices with plenty of choice of hardware.

That's good for Apple. There's 4 of them that like simplicity versus 2 of you that like more choice.

The biggest numbers are always with the average joe sixpack consumer that wants a phone that's easy to work. That's who Apple caters its products to.

torana355
Mar 7, 2013, 01:03 PM
Please explain how iOS is behind the competition exactly?

Customization inc Custom launchers and Widgets ect
Integration with Google services and products.
Ability to set default apps, like making Chrome the default browser.
Much Better notification system
Better keyboard options like Swiftkey.
True multitasking - This is a biggy
Flash support, yes you can still install flash on Jellybean.

dontpannic
Mar 7, 2013, 01:11 PM

That list is just the standard Android list of features that aren't really needed. None of those put iOS behind Android.

I could then go on to throw it back at you and say that Android is way behind iOS because:
Lack of iMessage
Lack of support for iCloud
No native AirPlay support
Third party accessory integration

At the end of the day, that list is what differentiates iOS from Android - not that puts one in front of the other.

The only things in that list that would be a genuine benefit for me is default apps.

iOS isn't made to integrate with Google apps and services - it's made to integrate with Apple's apps and services.

Customization etc - have you actually seen what people who jailbreak do to their devices when it comes to customisation? Everything I've seen looks bloody awful.

Swiftkey is an acquired taste. I'm not the only one who is faster on an iOS keyboard than I am on a swype based keyboard, I know that for a fact.

True multitasking is in no way a 'biggie'. No way in hell. On a phone screen, you can only truly look at one screen at a time so app suspension is perfect for battery life and performance. Background audio/downloads/processing still works - and that's all that's needed.

Flash support, yes you can still install flash on Jellybean., but why would you want to? Slow, support being dropped on a daily basis, much better alternatives out there. Google should be concentrating on getting HTML5 working properly. Even then, this isn't an 'Android is streets ahead of iOS' point, because it's not provided out of the box.

nuckinfutz
Mar 7, 2013, 01:13 PM

True multitasking is a fallacy. It makes no sense.

Swiftkey ...pass. I'm pretty good with voice dictation.

Flash is dead on mobile.

Never had problems integrating Google services.

Nothing mentioned here beats.

1. well crafted UI
2. stability
3. iMessage
4. Airplay
5. iCloud

IMO of course.

torana355
Mar 7, 2013, 01:17 PM
That list is just the standard Android list of features that aren't really needed. None of those put iOS behind Android.

No besides the Google integration (which is important to people that use You tube ect alot) all those points are clear advantages over iOS, to say otherwise is just plain ignorant.

nuckinfutz
Mar 7, 2013, 01:18 PM
No besides the Google integration (which is important to people that use You tube ect alot) all those points are clear advantages over iOS, to say otherwise is just plain ignorant.

How many phones did you sell last month?

dontpannic
Mar 7, 2013, 01:20 PM

No, they really aren't, and I'm not ignorant to say so.

These are features that differentiate the two OS's, there is no technological leap there between the two OS's to categorically state that one is better than the other.

Again, I can just throw iMessage, iCloud, FaceTime, AirPlay, iTunes store out there as leaps forward and blindly claim that iOS is in front of Android due to those features.

The list you provided is the standard cut and paste list that everyone who uses Android barks out at iOS users.

iOS is still able to access the Google services with apps available so that's not even a point that could be brought up. The iOS Google Maps app is also nicer than the Android version! What does that say?

torana355
Mar 7, 2013, 01:30 PM
True multitasking is a fallacy. It makes no sense.

Im sorry but how can true multi-tasking make no sense??

Swiftkey ...pass. I'm pretty good with voice dictation.

You can type via voice with Android too but that does not change the fact Swiftkey is much faster the the iOS keyboard for me. The fact that i know plenty of people that wish they could get swiftkey for their iPhone says alot aswell. ;)

Nothing mentioned here beats.

1. well crafted UI
2. stability
3. iMessage
4. Airplay
5. iCloud

IMO of course.

Yes and imo the Android UI is better crafted, is just as stable and everyone i know uses whatsapp anyway as its cross platform. I could not care less about iCloud and Airplay.

----------

No, they really aren't, and I'm not ignorant to say so.

These are features that differentiate the two OS's, there is no technological leap there between the two OS's to categorically state that one is better than the other.

No they are clear advantages. True Multitasking, a superior notification system, a better keyboard and full customization are real benifits that make Android better! Are you really that ignorant?

dontpannic
Mar 7, 2013, 01:32 PM
Im sorry but how can true multi-tasking make no sense??

Apps running in the background even doing nothing taking up memory and processor use = slower (maybe not noticeable) performance and battery drain.

You can type via voice with Android too but that does not change the fact Swiftkey is much faster the the iOS keyboard for me. The fact that i know plenty of people that wish they could get swiftkey for their iPhone says alot aswell. ;)

There we go. You said it in your own words. For You. You does not equal everyone. I've tried Swiftkey - and I'm still faster on iOS than I am on that.

Yes and imo the Android UI is better crafted, is just as stable and everyone i know uses whatsapp anyway as its cross platform. I could not care less about iCloud and Airplay.

It looks pretty in screenshots. That doesn't make it more usable - in fact quite the opposite.

Again, everyone you know uses Whatsapp - Android users that I know use a mixture of Whatsapp, Kik, Skype, GTalk, I don't want to have to have accounts on four different apps to keep in touch. iMessage does all this without any third party apps or configuration. Simple.

You couldn't care about iCloud and AirPlay, but these are features I use on a day to day basis.

----------

No they are clear advantages. Are you really that ignorant?

I've looked at the list again and still can't see it. I'm not ignorant, it's just that you've given a list (that every Android user reels off... so much for uniqueness) which makes no difference to me whatsoever, so doesn't make Android 'streets ahead' of iOS. Sorry.

nuckinfutz
Mar 7, 2013, 01:38 PM
Multitasking is loosely defined as doing two tasks at the same time. The iPhone can run background processes but it does so in an efficient way that doesn't needlessly eat up battery or CPU cycles.

The is nothing true or false about it. You are either multitasking or your are not.

Saying "True Multitasking" makes about as much sense as claiming your wife is "almost pregnant"

torana355
Mar 7, 2013, 01:41 PM
Apps running in the background even doing nothing taking up memory and processor use = slower (maybe not noticeable) performance and battery drain.

There we go. You said it in your own words. For You. You does not equal everyone. I've tried Swiftkey - and I'm still faster on iOS than I am on that.

It looks pretty in screenshots. That doesn't make it more usable - in fact quite the opposite.

Again, everyone you know uses Whatsapp - Android users that I know use a mixture of Whatsapp, Kik, Skype, GTalk, I don't want to have to have accounts on four different apps to keep in touch. iMessage does all this without any third party apps or configuration. Simple.

You couldn't care about iCloud and AirPlay, but these are features I use on a day to day basis.

----------

I've looked at the list again and still can't see it. I'm not ignorant, it's just that you've given a list (that every Android user reels off... so much for uniqueness) which makes no difference to me whatsoever, so doesn't make Android 'streets ahead' of iOS. Sorry.

LOL, look im just going to save both our time as its clear your ignorance is clouding your judgment. It seems ignorant responses are the standard Apple user comeback when Android users point out clear advantages.

nuckinfutz
Mar 7, 2013, 01:45 PM
LOL, look im just going to save both our time as its clear your ignorance is clouding your judgment. It seems ignorant responses are the standard Apple user comeback when Android users point out clear advantages.

No ..it's more like we're just playing with you. We get that you don't really have the technical knowledge to debate so we're just letting you get along and delay your boredom.

Both platforms have done an admirable job and I'm glad for the greater good but what I oppose is the silly rhetoric that iOS 7 has to jaw dropping for Apple to survive especially given the recent sales of the iPhone that show sales are still on the incline.

dontpannic
Mar 7, 2013, 01:49 PM

Amazing. It's almost like the ignorance is the other way round - i.e completely unable to at least acknowledge other points of view.

torana355
Mar 7, 2013, 01:58 PM
No ..it's more like we're just playing with you. We get that you don't really have the technical knowledge to debate so we're just letting you get along and delay your boredom.

Both platforms have done an admirable job and I'm glad for the greater good but what I oppose is the silly rhetoric that iOS 7 has to jaw dropping for Apple to survive especially given the recent sales of the iPhone that show sales are still on the incline.

No i just cant be bothered debating when Apple users are so set in their ways that nothing will change their minds. I never said iOS had to be jaw dropping for Apple to survive, i just pointed out that more and more people are making the switch to Android to take advantage of the features i listed , including Apple fans like myself.

jrswizzle
Mar 7, 2013, 02:01 PM

If I miss a call, I can swipe the notification from the lock screen and it immediately calls the number back.....

I feel like there are a lot of misconceptions about iOS out there.....things people are convinced it can't do simply because they don't care to find out or they've never tried.

I own both a Nexus 4 (my personal device) and an iPhone 5 (my work phone). I find each has its own pros and cons, but I generally use them the same way. iOS appeals to me because of how I use a smartphone....

The user makes the smartphone, not the other way around. And for this reason, iOS's simplicity and general lack of set-up are extremely valuable to those of us with no need to tinker for hours on end....

You want to be able to toggle settings from the home screen? I leave everything on on my iP5 because the battery can handle it.... unfortunately I monitor my N4 (due to a software issue in JB - somewhat fixed in 4.2.2, but not completely).

I've contemplated posting a thread inviting Android users to submit a task they think can't be done on an iOS device so I can educate that most everything you need/want to do, you can do.

There are the obvious default app switching, keyboard switching and widgets that aren't possible on an iPhone 5 - but aside from a personal preference on which browser you want to use, anything done on Chrome can be done on Safari on iOS - i.e. the task itself can be easily accomplished.

Just don't think I'd have the time (or patience for some of those smart alec Android fans) to answer them all!

torana355
Mar 7, 2013, 02:02 PM
Amazing. It's almost like the ignorance is the other way round - i.e completely unable to at least acknowledge other points of view.

I see your POV, i own an iPhone and a Nexus 4, i have plenty of Apple gear and love lots of their products. Ive used both OS's extensively and made a list of features that put Android ahead. Just because you don't need those features does not mean Android is not the better OS. I rather have the features and not use them then not have them at all.

jrswizzle
Mar 7, 2013, 02:13 PM
Being such an expert of the English language, you are obviously aware that a sentence should not begin with proposition. :)

Having a journalism degree, I know it is perfectly acceptable to begin a sentence with the word "And".

By the way....that would be a "conjunction" not a "prEposition" ;)

----------

I see your POV, i own an iPhone and a Nexus 4, i have plenty of Apple gear and love lots of their products. Ive used both OS's extensively and made a list of features that put Android ahead. Just because you don't need those features does not mean Android is not the better OS. I rather have the features and not use them then not have them at all.

Wrong.

If I don't need or want those features, Android is NOT the better OS FOR ME. This isn't a cut-and-dry, winner-take-all scenario. Neither is better than its competitor. Simply each person should decide how they use their phone and pick accordingly. The OS of choice is then the BEST OS for them.

OSxiPro
Mar 7, 2013, 02:38 PM
Just to clarify. You can start a sentence with "And" - I should know seeing as I have excellent English qualifications.

Now. Let us talk about the nitty-gritty; iOS is good. Android is good. Windows phone is good. But - they are all just good at different things! There is no need to get into an argument over them.

Herp android has better google integration
Herp iOS has better apple integration
Herp windows phone has better Microsoft integration

No sh|t. Ones better than the other at customisation, one is more secure and one shows the most information on the home screen. The truth of the matter is - it does not matter.

rocat1997
Mar 7, 2013, 03:08 PM
It seems their are many anti apple people frequenting an apple board. Ios works solid and does everything the average user wants it to do. I see iphone 5's everywhere. People I talk to love them just as I do. It's comparable to buying a DVD player. They have all these neat features and gadgets but in the end you just want it to play a movie. Apple does the job well. I like the small footprint of the phone. While bigger is nice l, it's not necessarily convenient. Maybe the droid guys would do better sticking to their forums instead of trolling an apple forum. In the end guys, it's still just a phone.

cynics
Mar 7, 2013, 04:37 PM
It seems their are many anti apple people frequenting an apple board. Ios works solid and does everything the average user wants it to do. I see iphone 5's everywhere. People I talk to love them just as I do. It's comparable to buying a DVD player. They have all these neat features and gadgets but in the end you just want it to play a movie. Apple does the job well. I like the small footprint of the phone. While bigger is nice l, it's not necessarily convenient. Maybe the droid guys would do better sticking to their forums instead of trolling an apple forum. In the end guys, it's still just a phone.

Its a Mac forum with an iOS section. Don't expect everyone that has a Mac to automatically love iOS devices.

BTW just for future reference "Droid" is Verizons line of high end Android devices. Usually Motorola or HTC. Wouldn't be very accurate to call an S3 owner a "droid guy"....

I like iOS and although it doesn't quite do everything I need it too (email multiple pdf's in a single email) it works for the most part. However I also recognize there is a lot of room for improvement. I'm looking forward to iOS 7 and I'm hoping for the best.

jacobss
Mar 7, 2013, 04:41 PM

I noticed too, it seems like all iPhone users hate their phones but when you meet someone you know with an iPhone they say they love it.

John T
Mar 7, 2013, 04:44 PM
Apple really needs to step it up with the next iPhone and IOS because the OS is really looking dated. In fact, it looks exactly the same as it did in 2007 on my first iPhone.

I must admit to being at a loss why some people seem to think that the appearance of IOS is so vital in it's operation! Surely the most important factor is what the OS actually does. A well thought out and designed item doesn't have to have its appearance continually changed to make it better! The stability of the IOS design is the main reason for my staying with the iPhone. I know exactly where everything is and what it's going to do.

When I bought my iPhone 5, within minutes I had set it up and installed all my data etc from my old iPhone and the new one was up and running. In comparison, my son spent more than an evening transferring "most" of his data from his "old" Galaxy 2 to his new Galaxy 3!

'Nuff said!

Prime85
Mar 7, 2013, 11:33 PM

8. Animated wallpapers
10. FLASH PLAYER.

Thank you.

Everything you mentioned would be useless. Except maybe #4 which i have with a jb anyway. Also Flash Player? Since when do people still care about flash? Android doesn't even use that anymore since it is obsolete software, everyone is switching to HTML5. I don't even have it on my mac anymore since its always been a security risk and to tell you the truth i never have websites telling me i need it anymore.

blasto2236
Mar 7, 2013, 11:48 PM

LOL @ the iOS themed icons and folders. So basically you added widgets to iOS (many of which can be achieved through JB). Congratulations. :rolleyes:

maxosx
Mar 7, 2013, 11:55 PM
My truth?

I enjoy _ both _ iOS and Android, I'm using both concurrently.

The primary reason I'm so disappointed in Apple at the moment is the fact I am somewhat biased towards them, since I've used their computers for years. If I didn't care it wouldn't matter.

I would be thrilled if they refreshed the design & included a 4.7 - 4.9" display in the upcoming model. While its still a possibility, the rumors are not reinforcing that potential.

Worse, the most recent rumors suggest the least amount of improvements. Especially when it comes to keeping the same 4.0" display. Lacking room to work, and retaining its narrow width, means no new iPhone for me.

A first since the original iPhone, very disappointing indeed.

Jimmy James
Mar 8, 2013, 12:03 AM
Yes, Apple better improve big time!

Otherwise, I will make may calls, surf the net, check my emails, Facebook & Twitter, play my games, watch my shows, listen to music, check my stocks, set my calendar & alarms, read my ebooks, navigate, take my pictures & videos, use my large variety of apps, and check the weather on another platform!

It's appalling how little I can easily do.

macUser2007
Mar 8, 2013, 03:56 AM
LOL @ the iOS themed icons and folders. So basically you added widgets to iOS (many of which can be achieved through JB). Congratulations. :rolleyes:

Did many of the knee-jerk posers here actually read the blog referenced in the first post, or did most simply fail to comprehend it, and the other comments?

Yes, some part is the theming (and no, it cannot be done as easily or as well through JB, plus JB just came to the iPhone5/iPad4 and it will likely be gone again with the next update).

But there is a lot more that's lacking in iOS and it becomes apparent when compared in daily use with Android JellyBean. For each user what's missing may be a bit different, but the gist of it is, there are too many little things missing in iOS 6, compared to JellyBean.

So far Android has suffered from the lack of well designed hardware, but this seems to be changing, as HTC, Sony and Motorola are all bringing some really well designed sets in the next few months, in time for Android 5.0 (Keylime Pie).

Add to this the open AiPlay pushed by Netflix and Google, which will come in force this year and will strip away one of Apple's greatest advantages, and you may see why Apple should start taking this seriously.

Further along, if I were Apple, I'd also worry about Chrome OS, which is still primitive (as Android was a few years ago), but which is getting full touch capabilities this year and which is still being developed full-steam by Goggle. Just like Android, it may come out and take a painful bite from both Apple's and MS's desktop marketshare in a couple of years.

dontpannic
Mar 8, 2013, 04:01 AM
Add to this the open AiPlay pushed by Netflix and Google, which will come in force this year and will strip away one of Apple's greatest advantages, and you may see why Apple should start taking this seriously.

This won't be as widespread as AirPlay though - and to some extent showing how Android is 'Catching up' to iOS isn't it?

How many times in the past have we heard "DLNA is much better, AirPlay sucks" when its evident that Google obviously want a piece of that market.

macUser2007
Mar 8, 2013, 04:46 AM
This won't be as widespread as AirPlay though - and to some extent showing how Android is 'Catching up' to iOS isn't it?

How many times in the past have we heard "DLNA is much better, AirPlay sucks" when its evident that Google obviously want a piece of that market.

Actually, DIAL s being adopted much more widely, by Netflix and Google, obviously, but also by Sony, Samsung, LG, etc..

http://gigaom.com/2013/01/23/dial-open-airplay-competitor/

DIAL is also getting some support from content services and app makers. The project launched a registry on its website for companies that want to take advantage of DIAL much in the same way Netflix and YouTube want to, and the first ones to sign up include the BBC, Hulu, Pandoraand Flingo. There are also efforts underway to bring dial to Chrome, which would make it possible to launch apps on your TV straight from your browser.

In recent conversations at CES, Iíve heard some considerable interest from others as well. And with enough support, DIAL may not just be able to take on AirPlay, but eventually reshape how we interact with digital media in the living room.

macUser2007
Mar 8, 2013, 07:31 PM
Hah, here is something Apple may want to pay heed to:

Why the iPad Needs a File System (http://techpinions.com/why-the-ipad-needs-a-file-system/14656)

And here is something on the Chrome OS, which I mentioned above: http://techpinions.com/chrome-is-more-important-to-google-than-android/11575

I m sure Apple is working on stuff in their labs, but lately we haven't seen much new that they have to show for. I really have not been excited about an Apple product I've bought since my first Mac Book Air (and I've bought iMacs, iPads, iPhones and a Mac Book Pro).

Jobs was ill and now he is gone. I'd hate to think that he made the wrong choices in setting up his succession.

The ironic part is, how many here seem so happy that the over 50 set uses Apple. I am happy for it, too, but if you bore the under 25 set, in a few years your product become "your father's Oldsmobile."

Rogifan
May 6, 2013, 07:42 AM
yep, i feel the same way, android has left iOS behind in almost every aspect. if apple wants iOS7 to be a WOW then apple has to innovate, they have to come up with something big, something great and if they fail, sales are gonna further decline and android will get another chance to leave iOS behind.

iOS device sales aren't declining.

NacSquared
May 6, 2013, 08:07 AM
The grid is still light years more elegant than anything I've seen from Android. It's simple and doesn't overwhelm. Everything I've seen from Android is overwhelming, and 'customization' generally means making it even fuglier, like a Windows XP skin from 2004.

Can Apple improve iOS? Yes. But not by putting settings on the front page, a search bar at the top of every screen and dancing widgets on top of a live aquarium wallpaper.

I couldn't agree more with this statement.

Apple has what a lot of people like to call, a major in simplicity. Apple is not looking to entertain 15 & 16 year old boys with 'cool and entertaining' lock & homescreens. They revolve everything they do around creating the easiest possible experience for a user.

You want something 'new'? Go buy a $0.99 flip phone for a week, then come back to your iphone and it will feel 'new'.

nuckinfutz
May 6, 2013, 09:02 AM
iOS device sales aren't declining.

Shhhh you're wrecking the fantasy with the needless input of truth. :)

To many on this board Apple Doom is upon us, trampled under the mite of Android. Who cares what those Analysts say.

ncaissie
May 6, 2013, 09:44 AM
iOS 7 will have 200 small changes (most we don't see or simplistic settings)
Two new apps most people wonít use. :confused:

nuckinfutz
May 6, 2013, 11:14 AM
Failing to expect more from your products is basically expecting to fail in the long run. They knew they couldnt expect much from the iPhone 5 - it was no different.

Another nonsensical post based on contrived assumption that you have "any" clue what expectations where. I'll play.

Give us the unit and revenue expectations that Apple had for the iPhone 5 and then we can talk.

ncaissie
May 6, 2013, 11:20 AM
so because this one person thinks this, I guess everyone feels that way?
Apple does need a kick in the butt to get better and with android on their heels and them both trading who has more sales each month, its going to cause IOS to get better.

competition is always a good thing

LMAO You are highly mistaken. I think you are in denial and/or just wonít admit Apple can be wrong.

nuckinfutz
May 6, 2013, 11:23 AM
LMAO You are highly mistaken. I think you are in denial and/or just wonít admit Apple can be wrong.

The firing of Forstall and Browett and exec reshuffle is a grand admission from Apple that they made mistakes and aren't afraid to rectify them.

ncaissie
May 6, 2013, 11:24 AM
Everything you mentioned would be useless. Except maybe #4 which i have with a jb anyway. Also Flash Player? Since when do people still care about flash? Android doesn't even use that anymore since it is obsolete software, everyone is switching to HTML5. I don't even have it on my mac anymore since its always been a security risk and to tell you the truth i never have websites telling me i need it anymore.
Since flash has and is still used in most sites. Try any new game site. try godofwar.com ;)

MozMan68
May 6, 2013, 12:29 PM
The firing of Forstall and Browett and exec reshuffle is a grand admission from Apple that they made mistakes and aren't afraid to rectify them.

But to his point, prove that sales were somehow weaker than they expected because of that.

Data proves that they couldn't make enough of the devices and sales INCREASED over previous devices despite the admitted problems with some of the software. Considering the glut of previous devices out there in use, one might surmise that the sales level of the iPhone 5 is even more incredible!

semi5
May 6, 2013, 01:50 PM
I'm going the other way. I'm moving back to my iPhone from the Nexus 4. Just dont care that much about widgets or themes. I have found almost every app that is available on both is still better on the iphone. The iPhone just works better for me.

TheRainKing
May 7, 2013, 05:38 AM

Sadly theres some truth in that. The only things Apple have done since then which I liked were the iPad mini and Mountain Lion, everything else felt underwhelming. Some things have really sucked, like the current iPod nano, iOS 6 and Apple maps.

Rogifan
May 7, 2013, 07:37 AM
Sadly theres some truth in that. The only things Apple have done since then which I liked were the iPad mini and Mountain Lion, everything else felt underwhelming. Some things have really sucked, like the current iPod nano, iOS 6 and Apple maps.

Steve Jobs hasn't even been dead 2 years. What exactly were you expecting Apple to do since his death? Reinvent industries every 6 months? Like they NEVER did under Jobs?

Or put it another way, what would Apple have done differently the past year or so if Steve was still around?

charlituna
May 9, 2013, 09:58 PM

I suspect that an easy 80% of iOS 7 will be fixing iOS 6 issues, removing bloat by killing some of the pointless skeuromorphic tricks and adding back useful features from iOS 5 that up and vanished. Another 10% will be things like perhaps adding the same 'in the cloud' listings as iTunes on the desktop has , adding folders to notes, etc

And 10% will be some new thing(s)

And I would be thrilled with that.

Give me some cleanup in the iTunes stores, bring back Lala.com, more iCloud and Game Center support in apps etc and I would be over the moon

daneoni
May 10, 2013, 11:05 AM
lol at all these ultimatums. "Apple better do this or that or else...."

Or else what you and Ralfrottmann will switch?

I'm sure Apple is shaking in their boots at that prospect.

kilcher
May 13, 2013, 10:57 AM

I'm sure Blackberry thought the same thing about 4 years ago.

bozzykid
May 13, 2013, 11:31 AM

The smartphone business is all about momentum. Blackberry had the same attitude years ago when they were on top (that they were #1 and didn't need to innovate anymore). Just because Apple is the #1 smartphone maker by a wide margin doesn't mean that their market share can drop rapidly. Because smartphones iterate so quickly, Apple had better be on their game or they can lose significant share in a year or two while others make big strides.

daneoni
May 13, 2013, 11:47 AM
I'm sure Blackberry thought the same thing about 4 years ago.

The smartphone business is all about momentum. Blackberry had the same attitude years ago when they were on top (that they were #1 and didn't need to innovate anymore). Just because Apple is the #1 smartphone maker by a wide margin doesn't mean that their market share can drop rapidly. Because smartphones iterate so quickly, Apple had better be on their game or they can lose significant share in a year or two while others make big strides.

And you seriously think Apple, one of the most paranoid companies on earth, will let themselves end up like BlackBerry?

Not that its a market share game for Apple. Its never been.

macUser2007
May 13, 2013, 05:29 PM
And you seriously think Apple, one of the most paranoid companies on earth, will let themselves end up like BlackBerry?

Not that its a market share game for Apple. Its never been.

I sure hope not.

But in the meantime, instead of waiting for another iteration of the same iPhone 5 I currently have, I have placed an order for the developer edition of the HTC One. It will be in my grabby hands tomorrow :)

http://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-one/?PS=1&cid=sem157p174347&gclid=CIjCmP-PlLcCFcF_QgodDBgAGw

iOS stopped innovating about two years after it was unveiled. Recently it has been content to basically copy Android features, like pull down notifications.

Steve Jobs was worried about Android. Methinks so should be the current Apple management, and even you.

Rogifan
May 13, 2013, 09:19 PM
I sure hope not.

But in the meantime, instead of waiting for another iteration of the same iPhone 5 I currently have, I have placed an order for the developer edition of the HTC One. It will be in my grabby hands tomorrow :)

http://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-one/?PS=1&cid=sem157p174347&gclid=CIjCmP-PlLcCFcF_QgodDBgAGw

iOS stopped innovating about two years after it was unveiled. Recently it has been content to basically copy Android features, like pull down notifications.

Steve Jobs was worried about Android. Methinks so should be the current Apple management, and even you.

And what exactly did Steve do about it? All this supposed copying of Android (didn't notifications really come from iOS jailbreak community?) pretty much happened on his watch. And this skeuomorphic glossy design language Apple is rumored to be getting rid of also happened on Steve's watch.

schaudhr
May 13, 2013, 09:42 PM
Initially, I was on the same thought process as most now where I am fed up with how lackluster and boring iOS has become. I went as far as purchasing the Galaxy S4 to give it a whirl.

Man, was it the best thing that ever happened to me...and not because I love the Galaxy S4 but because it made me appreciate the iPhone and iOS to new found glory. Don't get me wrong the Galaxy S4 had some great features that I still miss to date: 4.99" screen, camera that actually takes good low-light pics, Swype.

In the end it was the functionality of the phone that had me begging for my iPhone again. Apple has done a tremendous job with making things so organized and ultimately bug-free that you really don't begin to appreciate it until you go buy an Android phone and witness it first-hand. Things like needing a separate application to check your visual voicemail, the horrible array of email clients to choose from we're just too ANNOYING to deal with. I was too tired of searching and reading reviews on standard stock replacement applications. I don't know how many reviews and music applications I downloaded to try-out and just couldn't find a decent one that I wanted to keep. Nothing on that thing was "easy" to use. The flagship features/applications i.e. smart scrolling, hand gesture to answer we're all very buggy. They didn't work all the time and found myself just turning them off completely.

Maybe, like others I am too vested in the Apple Ecosystem (Macbook, iMac, AppleTV, iCloud, etc.) to give Android a fair shot, but I am going to stick with it. I'm estactic that my iPhone does exactly what I want it too and does it well.

tekboi
May 14, 2013, 12:44 AM
I feel ya OP. It's do or die right now for apple. People are starting to get tired & fed up w/ the same ole same ole...

IMHO... apple should just focus more on OS X.

Jare
May 14, 2013, 03:10 AM
1) Customization inc Custom launchers and Widgets ect
2) Integration with Google services and products.
3) Ability to set default apps, like making Chrome the default browser.
4) Much Better notification system
5) Better keyboard options like Swiftkey.
6) True multitasking - This is a biggy
7) Flash support, yes you can still install flash on Jellybean.

1) Most of which are buggy and garbage. Have you seen some peoples "customized" phones? Holy crap, they make me sick.

https://lh5.ggpht.com/g34PqFNP2kGSNm4SU1c3YTOorkrzk1sphPUDCu2gjufHwriWhpKW84vn_HlmkFx7Tg=w705

Here you go. Whip that badboy out in front of some girls.

2) NO WAY RLY? U SRS? GOOG FONE = GOOG SVCS????

3) Chrome is garbage anyways. Safari is OK. Everyone knows Firefox > everything. Unless you're 13 of course.

4) Only if you have a bunch of spam happy apps that love sending you "advertisement" notifications. Then you can sort them and play with them all you want :D

5) Swype is overhyped (same with SwiftKey). I type much faster on my iPhone then I do with that garbage. Swype this: "Antidisestablishmentarianism".

6) Oh really? True multi-tasking you say? Open up your settings app and delve yourself nice and deep into a few menus. Hit your "home" button, open up another app. Do your little multi-tasking gesture or whatever, then tap on your settings. Are you back EXACTLY where you were? Didn't think so.

7) Flash? LOL. Even Android gave that up when they realized how stupid it was to back a dying technology. Even your pr0n sites use HTML5 bro. Get over it.

redbeard331
May 14, 2013, 07:12 AM
1) Most of which are buggy and garbage. Have you seen some peoples "customized" phones? Holy crap, they make me sick.

Image (https://lh5.ggpht.com/g34PqFNP2kGSNm4SU1c3YTOorkrzk1sphPUDCu2gjufHwriWhpKW84vn_HlmkFx7Tg=w705)

3) Chrome is garbage anyways. Safari is OK. Everyone knows Firefox > everything. Unless you're 13 of course.

4) Only if you have a bunch of spam happy apps that love sending you "advertisement" notifications. Then you can sort them and play with them all you want :D

5) Swype is overhyped (same with SwiftKey). I type much faster on my iPhone then I do with that garbage. Swype this: "Antidisestablishmentarianism".

6) Oh really? True multi-tasking you say? Open up your settings app and delve yourself nice and deep into a few menus. Hit your "home" button, open up another app. Do your little multi-tasking gesture or whatever, then tap on your settings. Are you back EXACTLY where you were? Didn't think so.

7) Flash? LOL. Even Android gave that up when they realized how stupid it was to back a dying technology. Even your pr0n sites use HTML5 bro. Get over it.

While I agree with a couple things you say, you really must have gone out of your way to find that stupid picture, there are thousands of themes, dozens and dozens of beautifully designed ones in Cydia alone. And here's the best part, nobody would be forcing you to install a theme, you could stick with the vanilla your phone came with, no need to attack people over their desire to change how their phone looks to suit their tastes..

torana355
May 14, 2013, 07:26 AM
While I agree with a couple things you say, you really must have gone out of your way to find that stupid picture, there are thousands of themes, dozens and dozens of beautifully designed ones in Cydia alone. And here's the best part, nobody would be forcing you to install a theme, you could stick with the vanilla your phone came with, no need to attack people over their desire to change how their phone looks to suit their tastes..

The guys whole post looks like it was written by a 10 year old, hence im not even going to bother posting a response. The part about multitasking is funny because it does actually take me back to where i was in settings and shows the guy does not have a clue what he is talking about, not to mention the part about setting default apps went right over his head.

Jare
May 14, 2013, 12:16 PM

Actually funny enough, it was one of the first images I found.

Parise
May 14, 2013, 02:44 PM

Image (https://lh5.ggpht.com/g34PqFNP2kGSNm4SU1c3YTOorkrzk1sphPUDCu2gjufHwriWhpKW84vn_HlmkFx7Tg=w705)

So, you basically cut down Android by pushing your opinion as fact?

Swype is overrated... because it can't spell one word that a person may probably need to spell ONCE (at best) in an SMS within their lifetime?

I should've stopped reading at "Chrome is garbage. Safari is ok." I am now dumber for having read your post.

cynics
May 14, 2013, 03:22 PM
In the end it was the functionality of the phone that had me begging for my iPhone again. Apple has done a tremendous job with making things so organized and ultimately bug-free that you really don't begin to appreciate it until you go buy an Android phone and witness it first-hand. Things like needing a separate application to check your visual voicemail, the horrible array of email clients to choose from we're just too ANNOYING to deal with. I was too tired of searching and reading reviews on standard stock replacement applications. I don't know how many reviews and music applications I downloaded to try-out and just couldn't find a decent one that I wanted to keep. Nothing on that thing was "easy" to use. The flagship features/applications i.e. smart scrolling, hand gesture to answer we're all very buggy. They didn't work all the time and found myself just turning them off completely..

Lost me at "organized."

I'm looking at you camera roll. It makes no attempt to automatically organize photos. And to add insult to injury there is no way to even see dates.

Separate applications? That IS iOS! And the lack of file system makes it worse. I have the same PDF files saved it multiple locations because there no one single place to store them. Which leads back to organization, I need to remember which file is which.

That also leads to ease of use. How would I attach a PDF to an email in iOS? I need to do it from another app! What's wrong with "attachment" button? Want to attach more then one? Impossible. Everyone knows how to attach things to an email, why so confusing in iOS?

And let's me honest. iOS 6.1.3 means in itself there have been a lot of bug fixes. While one might argue less buggy then android I'd tend to agree but that is debatable as well. For example sometimes I'd have problems running flash, but the iOS alternative is no flash (for the most part).

While I prefer the iPhone over any Android phone everything you mention is thing I feel are need of fixing on iOS.

The-Real-Deal82
May 15, 2013, 06:26 AM
yeah man i love widgets, very useful. but looking at the history i dont think apple likes widgets, i dont think widgets would make their way to iOS7.
I personally hate widgets, but having made the mistake of suggesting I hope they aren't included in iOS 7 and getting lynched here, I suggest they give people the option for widgets and people like me can simply disable them :)

irDigital0l
May 17, 2013, 01:11 AM

Someone got butt hurt.

DaffyDuck
May 17, 2013, 03:59 PM
As for customization, I could complain about wallpapers some iPhone users use that make the app names unreadable. Remember when Apple let people set their own backgrounds in iOS? I guess you probably complained about that too since customization is bad in your view. The fact is that I can make a much more clean interface on my phone than I could on my iPhone. I don't need labels on icons that are easy to recognize anyway, so I can get rid of them.

I avoid those the same way I avoided apps with advertising on my iPhone. Also, any app worth having lets you customize notifications.

I have the choice to use swype or just type. I can even resize the keyboard to make the buttons larger.

This is the best one because it is just wrong. If you really want to point out problems with Android, just talk about how long it takes carriers to provide software updates. No need to make up stuff.

CooKieMoNs7eR
May 17, 2013, 06:30 PM
I honestly don't care if iOS7 is going to be "innovative" or not, as long as I have Cydia, I'll be happy, there is plenty of Cydia tweaks right now that blow any other phone away, I'm not gonna wait for Apple to add 5 features from Cydia every year, as long as the hardware is upgraded I'm happy.

blitzer09x87
May 19, 2013, 09:59 AM

agreed, after steve's death apple hasn't done something really extraordinary. android is a great OS and if apple doesn't brings up something extraordinary in iOS7 i dont have any strong reason to buy the next iphone.

Ryan1524
May 19, 2013, 10:05 AM
I think a lot of people at Apple may be concerned of screwing up 'The Legacy', that they can't think creatively enough. They'll always be working under that shadow, and constantly thinking...is this good enough? Or will it ruin what we've built so far.

Unfortunately, since the person they're trying to please is dead, his expectations is now the sum of everyone's fears/dreams/speculations. I don't think it's impossible that this might undo them.

I think it's time somebody steps up and try to be better than Jobs. He was a great man and a visionary, but he's not the first, and won't/shouldn't be the last.

Rogifan
May 19, 2013, 10:54 AM
I think a lot of people at Apple may be concerned of screwing up 'The Legacy', that they can't think creatively enough. They'll always be working under that shadow, and constantly thinking...is this good enough? Or will it ruin what we've built so far.

Unfortunately, since the person they're trying to please is dead, his expectations is now the sum of everyone's fears/dreams/speculations. I don't think it's impossible that this might undo them.

I think it's time somebody steps up and try to be better than Jobs. He was a great man and a visionary, but he's not the first, and won't/shouldn't be the last.
Geez he hasn't even been dead 2 years....give them some time. Sheesh.

adildacoolset
May 20, 2013, 05:14 AM

8. Animated wallpapers
10. FLASH PLAYER.

Thank you.

So if you want those things and you know that iOS won't get them, then why don't you just use android? Some of us don't really use any of those. There is android for people who want those stuff.

fullauto
May 20, 2013, 06:33 AM

Oh that is just too funny sir. :D

DaffyDuck
May 20, 2013, 07:42 AM
Oh that is just too funny sir. :D

You can join in the fun too, even enhance it somewhat with your dainty little screen:

http://www.iphone-themes.com/uploads/allimg/c121112/1352Gc4F2b0-56418.jpg

Here's what real customization allows you to do:

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/cool-android-homescreens/

http://media02.hongkiat.com/cool-android-homescreens/circles2.jpg
http://mycolorscreen.com/2011/06/16/marvel-vs-capcom/
http://media02.hongkiat.com/cool-android-homescreens/Marvel-Vs-Capcom.jpg
http://media02.hongkiat.com/cool-android-homescreens/fall.jpg
http://media02.hongkiat.com/cool-android-homescreens/Lonely-Street.jpg

beaniemyman
May 20, 2013, 09:37 AM
agreed, widgets ARE the next big thing, apple should add them in iOS7. android is a great platform, samsung and htc are bringing awesome phones, if apple doesn't do something, i'm afraid i will have to switch.

The-Real-Deal82
May 20, 2013, 10:51 AM
agreed, widgets ARE the next big thing, apple should add them in iOS7. android is a great platform, samsung and htc are bringing awesome phones, if apple doesn't do something, i'm afraid i will have to switch.
As long as widgets are optional and I can turn them off, I have no problem. I hate them personally from my android days but allowing others the option is fine.

beaniemyman
May 20, 2013, 11:32 AM
As long as widgets are optional and I can turn them off, I have no problem. I hate them personally from my android days but allowing others the option is fine.

agreed, everyone should get whatever s/he wants.
but, i haven't heard any rumors of apple adding widgets to iOS7.:(

The-Real-Deal82
May 20, 2013, 11:38 AM
agreed, everyone should get whatever s/he wants.
but, i haven't heard any rumors of apple adding widgets to iOS7.:(
Nor me apart from views expressed here.

ppeyton1143
May 21, 2013, 08:51 AM
agreed, windows phones and android phones makers are coming out with great devices, apple needs to improve the specs of the iphone they need to use a quad-core processor, better screen, etc. as well as they need to work on iOS, iOS doesnt even have many basic features and the UI is also old and boring, please apple do something i dont want to see the iphone lose it's first position.:(

RTT
May 21, 2013, 09:52 AM
Definately will not get Flash as even Adobe has given that up mobiles, at lease

5kylar
May 21, 2013, 10:42 AM
Whoever would like a refreshed UI, or all the functionality you could ask for on their iPhone, I would like to redirect your attention over here to this wonderful new tool called a jailbreak...

I don't care much what Apple does. Just as long as they leave a few holes for an iOS7 JB. At the end of the day, people will still buy iPhones, and I'll still be jailbreaking mine. Half the people that b1tch all day about Apple's "Outdated iOS" seem to forget they are also the ones modding their phones and doing all the things they want on iOS anyways. Can't even see the forest through the trees, damn..

TommyA6
May 21, 2013, 01:31 PM
agreed, windows phones and android phones makers are coming out with great devices, apple needs to improve the specs of the iphone they need to use a quad-core processor, better screen, etc. as well as they need to work on iOS, iOS doesnt even have many basic features and the UI is also old and boring, please apple do something i dont want to see the iphone lose it's first position.:(

IPhone 5 is as fast or faster than the latest android (quad or octa core) offerings and is more fluid and smooth. So I'd rather say Android phones need to catch up with the iPhone. As for screens, sure, those 1080p screens are slightly sharper but it isn't that noticable. IPhone 5 still has one of the best if not the best calibrated and precise screen out there. Nevertheless, both of these categories will receive updates in the next gen. iPhone (the A7 will be twice as fast and consume less power, and a newer tech could be used to produce the screen "touch on display" or whatever the rumor was, and of course gorilla glass 3 for better scratch and shatter resistance). I agree iOS 7 needs to be a bigger upgrade to 6 than the iOS 6 was to iOS 5 (need is maybe not the right word. I would like it to be and I think it will be). Not to say that iOS 6 wasn't a good release; it was, but unfortunately, many of it's new features aren't really available worldwide or are at their infancy (passbook, flyover in maps for ex.), that's why I think iOS 5 brought more functionality to users than iOS 6. :) .
Oh, I agree some basic stuff could be done better. That being said I still think iOS is the best smartphone OS. :D

ZeRoLiMiT
May 21, 2013, 02:10 PM
Whoever would like a refreshed UI, or all the functionality you could ask for on their iPhone, I would like to redirect your attention over here to this wonderful new tool called a jailbreak...

I don't care much what Apple does. Just as long as they leave a few holes for an iOS7 JB. At the end of the day, people will still buy iPhones, and I'll still be jailbreaking mine. Half the people that b1tch all day about Apple's "Outdated iOS" seem to forget they are also the ones modding their phones and doing all the things they want on iOS anyways. Can't even see the forest through the trees, damn..

The reason is because we shouldn't need to jailbreak to get all these features. I as a iPhone 5 user has 6.2.1 and I am stuck! Can't update to IOS7 because I will loose my jailbreak/tweaks that should be in the OS.

5kylar
May 21, 2013, 09:37 PM
The reason is because we shouldn't need to jailbreak to get all these features. I as a iPhone 5 user has 6.2.1 and I am stuck! Can't update to IOS7 because I will loose my jailbreak/tweaks that should be in the OS.

I do understand completely, but Apple will likely never implement even anywhere close to half of the things on Cydia into their almighty iOS. So all I'm saying is, basically, suck it up and be thankful there is an awesome way to get all the things we want anyways, without Apple's 2 cents ;)

ZeRoLiMiT
May 22, 2013, 09:15 AM
I do understand completely, but Apple will likely never implement even anywhere close to half of the things on Cydia into their almighty iOS. So all I'm saying is, basically, suck it up and be thankful there is an awesome way to get all the things we want anyways, without Apple's 2 cents ;)

I think that is why some people are going to leave iPhone if they don't start adding some of the features. They did add more features in IOS6 but they need a lot more. If iOS7 doesn't come up with something AMAZING I think some people (including myself) will eventually move on to something better.

5kylar
May 22, 2013, 10:22 AM
I think that is why some people are going to leave iPhone if they don't start adding some of the features. They did add more features in IOS6 but they need a lot more. If iOS7 doesn't come up with something AMAZING I think some people (including myself) will eventually move on to something better.

Agreed! But realistically the alternative is Android and while I don't consider Droids bad phones at all, I'd rather have a jailbroken i6 in a year then a rooted G5.
Btw here's the first actual rumor I've seen of iOS7... Fun times ;)
http://modmyi.com/content/10977-apple-s-ios-7-rumored-have-flickr-vimeo-integration.html

ZeRoLiMiT
May 22, 2013, 01:28 PM
Agreed! But realistically the alternative is Android and while I don't consider Droids bad phones at all, I'd rather have a jailbroken i6 in a year then a rooted G5.
Btw here's the first actual rumor I've seen of iOS7... Fun times ;)
http://modmyi.com/content/10977-apple-s-ios-7-rumored-have-flickr-vimeo-integration.html

I agree! android is the only alternative and I dislike android. but true I would rather have a jailbroken iPhone 6 thena rooted droid but I REALLY!!!! hope Apple
has something big on June 10th

Parise
May 22, 2013, 02:29 PM
I agree! android is the only alternative and I dislike android. but true I would rather have a jailbroken iPhone 6 thena rooted droid but I REALLY!!!! hope Apple
has something big on June 10th

I was one who was left with an absolute horrid taste in my mouth from the sub 4.0 versions of Android. It was garbage, ugly, slow, etc. Its the reason I switched to iOS. I bought a Nexus tablet a few months back and my opinion completely changed with the latest version of the OS. It's a totally different system.

So I guess my point is, if you formed your opinion on Android from playing around with it in its Gingerbread days go check it out again. Its pretty slick.

ZeRoLiMiT
May 22, 2013, 11:22 PM
I was one who was left with an absolute horrid taste in my mouth from the sub 4.0 versions of Android. It was garbage, ugly, slow, etc. Its the reason I switched to iOS. I bought a Nexus tablet a few months back and my opinion completely changed with the latest version of the OS. It's a totally different system.

So I guess my point is, if you formed your opinion on Android from playing around with it in its Gingerbread days go check it out again. Its pretty slick.

i've played with the Galaxy 4S and its nice the operating system is good but thats it nothing that says WOW! plus the phone isn't amazing its just ok! I think android is doing well and has great potential but its just not a iPhone! that simple! Not the style and the amazing look and feel

Purant
May 23, 2013, 04:06 AM
operating system is good but thats it nothing that says WOW!
I think android is doing well and has great potential but its just not a iPhone! that simple! Not the style and the amazing look and feel

Thank you for your eloquent arguments. Is this where the discussion on iphones and android has reached now? "android is good, but nothing that says WOW and it's not a [sic] iPhone".

ZeRoLiMiT
May 24, 2013, 10:17 PM
Thank you for your eloquent arguments. Is this where the discussion on iphones and android has reached now? "android is good, but nothing that says WOW and it's not a [sic] iPhone".

just saying that iPhone is a amazing phone but eventually you will get tired of the weak OS and move to something else

5kylar
May 27, 2013, 10:56 AM
just saying that iPhone is a amazing phone but eventually you will get tired of the weak OS and move to something else

I don't think Apple has a weak OS at all. In fact it's so strong it tries to keep all 3rd party devs out lol. Android has gotten a hell of an awesome injection though. They are very fun phone's but again I agree, not iPhone ;)

downloadablegod
May 27, 2013, 11:43 AM
I love my iPhone. Really excited about iOS 7. Hoping it gets some major overhauls.

BvizioN
May 28, 2013, 12:32 PM
Most people are sick of having the uniform grid of apps and lack of instant information with iOS.

I know this is an old comment but I just started reading this thread and couldn't resist replying!

Based on what fact you think most people are sick of the uniform grid? I would assume you have not asked hundreds of millions? Most people I know prefer iOS over the rest of OS'es because of the user friendly/simplicity and and wouldn't give a crap about the uniform grid! Am not saying you are wrong when you say most people are sick of the uniform grid, just saying it would be hard to make such assumption based on very little real evidence.

fivedots
May 28, 2013, 03:46 PM
I know this is an old comment but I just started reading this thread and couldn't resist replying!

Based on what fact you think most people are sick of the uniform grid? I would assume you have not asked hundreds of millions? Most people I know prefer iOS over the rest of OS'es because of the user friendly/simplicity and and wouldn't give a crap about the uniform grid! Am not saying you are wrong when you say most people are sick of the uniform grid, just saying it would be hard to make such assumption based on very little real evidence.
Agreed. It's a completely anecdotal assumption. We are never going to see an alternative. Certainly not an app drawer and desktop concept like on Android.