PDA

View Full Version : Can the Video iPod play .mov files?

Enterprise8875
Oct 14, 2005, 11:45 PM
Hey it seems everyone has started to convert their videos to .mpv to play on the new iPod but while reading through the specs i read it can play .mov files also. Almost all of my video is in .mov so do I still have to convert it? Also if the resolution of the video is above the 320x320 will it still play on the iPod or do I have to lower it?

Thanks

Nermal
Oct 14, 2005, 11:58 PM
.mov is just a container. I imagine that playability would depend on the codecs used.

DaftUnion
Oct 15, 2005, 12:02 AM
.mov def. works with the iPod, specified on the technical specifications on Apple's site...but it doesn't mention if it has to be at 320x240 to work. maybe check other forums...or even call Apple or go to an Apple store? I don't know on this one.

fayans
Oct 15, 2005, 12:49 AM
Surely but you may need QT 7.0.3 Pro.

Choose File > Export. Enter a name for your movie. Select Movie to iPod (320x240) from the list. Click Save. Drag the new movie into iTunes, into whatever playlist you like. Finish by syncing your iPod with iTunes.

Nermal
Oct 15, 2005, 01:05 AM
That converts to .m4v, which isn't .mov.

fayans
Oct 15, 2005, 02:46 AM
That converts to .m4v, which isn't .mov.
What happen if you choose to Movie > QuickTime Movie? Does it convert to .mov?

Nermal
Oct 15, 2005, 03:54 AM
.mov is a container that allows you to store multiple video, audio, text, etc tracks inside a single file. The video etc can be in a variety of formats. .m4v is similar, but (as far as I know) it always contains MPEG-4 video.

I assume that iPods can only play MPEG-4 format video. So if your .movs are in, say, Sorenson format, then they probably won't play.

In QT Pro, if you choose to export to QuickTime Movie, it will then ask what format you wish to use. It will put the resulting media into a .mov container.

fayans
Oct 15, 2005, 04:43 AM
.mov is a container that allows you to store multiple video, audio, text, etc tracks inside a single file. The video etc can be in a variety of formats. .m4v is similar, but it always contains MPEG-4 video.

I assume that iPods can only play MPEG-4 format video. So if your .movs are in, say, Sorenson format, then they probably won't play.

In QT Pro, if you choose to export to QuickTime Movie, it will then ask what format you wish to use. It will put the resulting media into a .mov container.
Thanks Nermal for the clarification.