Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Controversial freemium game Real Racing 3 was released in the U.S. App Store tonight, after being tested in several international App Stores. Real Racing 3 is the highly anticipated followup to Real Racing 2, with real cars, photorealistic tracks, and online time shifted multiplayer gameplay.

RR3_LaunchScreenshots_iPhone5_suzuka.jpg
Unlike earlier games in the series, Real Racing 3 is free to play, with time-based freemium mechanics. Wait times have been implemented for repairs, upgrades, and additional vehicle unlocks, which can be sped up with the purchase of gold coins.

Our sister site TouchArcade has published a review of the game, explaining both the upsides and the downsides of the freemium gameplay.
Real Racing 3 is a weird game to review. On one hand, it's free, and is the absolute best looking game available on the App Store right now. You need to experience the sights and sounds of the game as it is downright jaw-dropping to see what Firemonkeys has accomplished on a technical level. On the other, it feels incredibly strange to take a genre that's typically very hardcore and wrapping it in free to play trimmings with hard timer-based stopping points. The juxtaposition between awesome adrenalin-fueled racing and the "Sorry bro, insert coin or come back later" is very, very odd.
TouchArcade has also released a guide on how to spend conservatively in the game, recommending specific cars, damage mitigation, and strategic repairs.

Real Racing 3 is currently available in the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Controversial Freemium Game Real Racing 3 Hits the U.S. App Store

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Hope it crashes and burns... followed by a "premium" $5.99 release without annoying freemium features.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Such an annoying way to play a game like this.

I'd pay for it, I'd pay a decent amount for it, like $10 or $15 like RR2 but I'm not going to download it for free because it's such a rotten way to play a game.

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
Can someone please explain to me how "freemium" games/apps continue to be produced when every single person hate them. Do people just hate them yet continue to play them and in turn keeping devs thinking that freemium works?

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Can someone please explain to me how "freemium" games/apps continue to be produced when every single person hate them. Do people just hate them yet continue to play them and in turn keeping devs thinking that freemium works?

Because they make money. Plain and simple. Folks spend tons of money on those games.

Drives me nuts. I loved the earlier model of iOS gaming, where you'd have a limited 'free' or 'lite' version, with maybe one or two levels or something, and then a 'pro' or 'premium' version that was fully loaded. What an awesome experience for the consumer! You can try out the gist of the game for free, and if you like it, pay a reasonable price for a full featured and supported game!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

In the top 20 grossing apps in the app store, only 3 are NOT freemium. Despite what people complain about. Freemium works, and can make more money than not-freemium.

http://appshopper.com/bestsellers/gros/?device=iphone

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-28 at 12.07.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-28 at 12.07.35 AM.png
    120.2 KB · Views: 386

thelink

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
Due to the title, I thought this game had sex involved.

Really?^

Anyways, this seems like an odd way to play. I have never really liked the idea of being limited to a certain amount of time, but if this is how they decide to do this then I guess only time will tell.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
So basically, I'm forced to play a game by the way a guide tells me in order to save money? No thanks. That's not a very fun experience. That's more like Sims FreePlay which also forces you to follow their directions.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Microtransactions suck balls. Unfortunately it looks to be the way it's headed. All the big publishers are doing it.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

Because that's how the mind of regular Joe works - attracted by the free price tag, downloaded it, got stuck in the middle with a 'wait or pay' dialog, feeling impatient, pay. At least that's how Candy Crush Saga works. Of course I hate those games very much but you can see how many of them are listed in the top spots of "Top Grossing" list.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

Yes.

People who are used to paying up front for games don't like freemium, so they don't play them.

However, 10 to 1000 times more people who don't like to pay for games download them because they're free to download. If a small fraction of those players later decide to upgrade, the game makes even more money than it would have from catering to the much smaller number of people who pay for games up front. Who cares if they complain? Further, since so many people can be seen playing these free-to-download games, they generate even more downloads from this free advertising.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
Microtransactions suck balls. Unfortunately it looks to be the way it's headed. All the big publishers are doing it.

I don't mind in-app purchases when they unlock extended chapters or story lines (like in GOF2) whereby the user pays $4-5 for an add-on which includes a lot of added goodies. However all of the games which have "premium currency" or tons of $.99 upgrades drive me nuts. Those really make me feel like I am being hounded for my money, and if I am constantly being reminded that what I am doing costs real money it completely defeats the purpose (escapism & relaxing) of playing the game.

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
Will not download. Hope this game and other similar games that use "freemium" crash and burn too.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
In the top 20 grossing apps in the app store, only 3 are NOT freemium. Despite what people complain about. Freemium works, and can make more money than not-freemium.

The big stupid masses out there is what all companies want to reach. And since they big stupid masses out there is a big majority of the population, it succeeds. Tragic world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.