PDA

View Full Version : Line out and 5G iPod

Sol
Oct 15, 2005, 03:25 AM
I suspect that the audio signal that comes out of the Dock Connector of the 5G iPod is not a line-out. Like the iPod Nano the 5G iPod outputs a signal that can be made louder by turning up the volume from the click-wheel. I think this is the case because the new Remote Control for the new Dock can be used to turn the volume up and down and this was not possible with any of the previous iPod remote control systems.

If I am right about this then it is one more reason for me to hold on to my 4G 40 GB iPod. A line out signal is preferable for connecting to a hi-fi system, FM transmitter or car stereo. It is as good and pure a signal as could be gotten out of an iPod because it bypasses the built-in amplifier that is made for small headphones.

Apple's new solution is a step back because now you are getting the same signal from the dock as what you have on the headphone port. For music on the go this is not an issue but if the iPod is one of many sources going into your hi-fi amplifier the experience will be frustrating. All other sources, like DVD players, game consoles, digital tuners, etc., provide line levels so switching between them everything sounds just as loud. If the 5G iPod is in the mix and the last time it was used someone had its volume turned down but then turned up the amplifier to hear better, imagine the shock you would get when the amplifier is switched to another source. It would be loud, and everyone will be shouting at you to turn down the volume. Unfortunately this is going to happen a lot with these new iPods.

quackattack
Oct 15, 2005, 08:58 AM
I suspect that the audio signal that comes out of the Dock Connector of the 5G iPod is not a line-out. Like the iPod Nano the 5G iPod outputs a signal that can be made louder by turning up the volume from the click-wheel. I think this is the case because the new Remote Control for the new Dock can be used to turn the volume up and down and this was not possible with any of the previous iPod remote control systems.

If I am right about this then it is one more reason for me to hold on to my 4G 40 GB iPod. A line out signal is preferable for connecting to a hi-fi system, FM transmitter or car stereo. It is as good and pure a signal as could be gotten out of an iPod because it bypasses the built-in amplifier that is made for small headphones.

Apple's new solution is a step back because now you are getting the same signal from the dock as what you have on the headphone port. For music on the go this is not an issue but if the iPod is one of many sources going into your hi-fi amplifier the experience will be frustrating. All other sources, like DVD players, game consoles, digital tuners, etc., provide line levels so switching between them everything sounds just as loud. If the 5G iPod is in the mix and the last time it was used someone had its volume turned down but then turned up the amplifier to hear better, imagine the shock you would get when the amplifier is switched to another source. It would be loud, and everyone will be shouting at you to turn down the volume. Unfortunately this is going to happen a lot with these new iPods.
I suspect there may simply be a level attenuater in the dock. This would adjust volume and still allow for a true line out.

If it is not a true line out I will also be very upset, LO is needed to get the very best sound quality from an iPod. Apple's specs mention a "variable line out" this phrasing is a little worrisome.

I didn't realize the nano didn't have a line out. Is this true?? If so it is not a good sign.

Sol
Oct 15, 2005, 09:10 AM
Apple's specs mention a "variable line out" this phrasing is a little worrisome.

I didn't realize the nano didn't have a line out. Is this true?? If so it is not a good sign.

'Variable line out' is basically what comes out of the headphone port. The iPod Nano needed it to be this way because the lanyard headphones connected to the dock port. Apple did the same thing with the 5G iPod because of the new dock with IR port.

Sorry, but like FireWire line out is another feature dropped from the iPod.