PDA

View Full Version : Is this finally my iPod??

wattage
Oct 15, 2005, 04:14 AM
I got my first, and only mac (pbook) in 2002. Got my wife a 6 gb green mini for a wedding present in March 05. I have waited and waited and watched upgrades come by, is this the ipod to buy? Are they going to add a radio to them anytime, this is one of the only features they don't have that I want. Anyone think something really cool, or worth waiting for is coming around, like say, Feb or March. I think my wife is planning a new video ipod for christmas, do I wave her off? When Lord when should I bite that sweet iPod bullet :confused:

SummerBreeze
Oct 15, 2005, 04:39 AM
I'd go for the iPod right now. I wouldn't expect another big announcement anytime soon, since video is such a big deal. And I could be completely wrong, but I bet there is an add-on somewhere that will allow you to put radio on your pod.

mojohanna
Oct 15, 2005, 07:00 AM
The only thing I forsee is an upgrade to the Nanos in Jan. My guess is that they get bumped to the old mini specs of 6g and 4g and keep the same price points.

Here's my question, is the ability to play video the difference of a chipset or just a firmware update to the ipod? It would seem plausible that an ipod photo would be able to play video if it had the proper software.

motulist
Oct 15, 2005, 07:54 AM
The only thing I forsee is an upgrade to the Nanos in Jan. My guess is that they get bumped to the old mini specs of 6g and 4g and keep the same price points.

Here's my question, is the ability to play video the difference of a chipset or just a firmware update to the ipod? It would seem plausible that an ipod photo would be able to play video if it had the proper software.

Here's my opinion. Yes the iPod Photo is physically capable of playing some video, but there's no way it's ever going to enabled (unless you do something radical like install Linux on it). Apple is trying to sell new products, not give people excuse why not to give Apple more money. Like the 2 finger window scroll on Powerbook track pads. The previous generation is capable of it as well, but it is not a feature enabled by Apple. To get that feature you need to buy a new Powerbook or install a 3rd party trackpad driver (which I've done and now I use the new Powerbook's feature on my old Powerbook all the time).

the_freddinator
Oct 15, 2005, 10:51 AM
Here's my opinion. Yes the iPod Photo is physically capable of playing some video, but there's no way it's ever going to enabled (unless you do something radical like install Linux on it). Apple is trying to sell new products, not give people excuse why not to give Apple more money. Like the 2 finger window scroll on Powerbook track pads. The previous generation is capable of it as well, but it is not a feature enabled by Apple. To get that feature you need to buy a new Powerbook or install a 3rd party trackpad driver (which I've done and now I use the new Powerbook's feature on my old Powerbook all the time).

If you were able to get the trackpad driver for your powerbook whats to stop the same 3rd party distribs to give out video drivers?

BurtonCCC
Oct 15, 2005, 10:54 AM
There's a thread here somewhere about how Apple thinks that people don't want radio on their iPods. I thought it would be cool, but to my surprise, most of the people in the thread agreed that there shouldn't be radio.

I wouldn't hold out for radio.

Daniel

iDM
Oct 15, 2005, 11:01 AM
I think this new iPod is a great buy and a good time to buy, however there are alot of people on here arguing over features it lacks like firewire support and Line Out Volume control which all are valid arguments, it also seems however that there are a few members who just seem outright bitter about something with this new ipod, whether they just bought a 4th gen without knowing of this upgrade or if these are just jealous i'm not sure. Make sure you only pay attention to the people stating what they dislike about the new ipod as opposed to those who only say "What do i need video for? or I HATE the more rounded back!" as if these are flaws!?! and reason not to buy one, guess what guys they still do everything else they use too!

motulist
Oct 15, 2005, 11:15 AM
If you were able to get the trackpad driver for your powerbook whats to stop the same 3rd party distribs to give out video drivers?

There are a few reasons, though I could have my details wrong on some of these points as I'm not a software developer.

1) The iPod is a totally closed system with zero 3rd party software that runs on it without extra hardware. The Mac is an open platform (but not open source) designed to run software by anyone who wants to write for it.

2) The iPod being a closed system makes it's software workings largely unknown to those outside the company making software hacks much more difficult, if not impossible.

3) There is no user accessible way to upload any software to the iPod even if a hack could be developed.

4) The trackpad driver I referred to is actually an Apple driver, just not the one that is normally installed or used on the powerbook. So it wasn't written from scratch, just rejiggered so it would load and run.

There are more reasons, but since those I've already listed are nearly insurmountable, there's no need. Having said that, the intelligence, creativity, and perseverance of human beings is powerful. So I never say never.

Josh396
Oct 15, 2005, 11:17 AM
There's a thread here somewhere about how Apple thinks that people don't want radio on their iPods. I thought it would be cool, but to my surprise, most of the people in the thread agreed that there shouldn't be radio.

I wouldn't hold out for radio.

Daniel
I agree with them also. I really have no desire to have radio capabilities on my iPod. It may be good for some and may convert the few people that already don't have an iPod into buying one. For me, I use the iPod when I'm not listening to the radio. When I'm driving I have my DLo FM transmitter so I can listen to it if I don't like what's on the radio or if I want something else. I would get one now.

mkrishnan
Oct 15, 2005, 11:26 AM

I'd assume that if the iPod is suddenly able to decode .H264, that it involves a hardware change, although I could be wrong.... Anyone look into that more? Maybe arstechnica has something.

the_freddinator
Oct 15, 2005, 11:28 AM
There are a few reasons, though I could have my details wrong on some of these points as I'm not a software developer.

1) The iPod is a totally closed system with zero 3rd party software that runs on it without extra hardware. The Mac is an open platform (but not open source) designed to run software by anyone who wants to write for it.

2) The iPod being a closed system makes it's software workings largely unknown to those outside the company making software hacks much more difficult, if not impossible.

3) There is no user accessible way to upload any software to the iPod even if a hack could be developed.

4) The trackpad driver I referred to is actually an Apple driver, just not the one that is normally installed or used on the powerbook. So it wasn't written from scratch, just rejiggered so it would load and run.

There are more reasons, but since those I've already listed are nearly insurmountable, there's no need. Having said that, the intelligence, creativity, and perseverance of human beings is powerful. So I never say never.

Well put, thanks a lot!