PDA

View Full Version : YouTube App Updated with 'Send to TV' Feature, Now Pairs with Smart TVs and Consoles

MacRumors
Feb 28, 2013, 03:18 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/28/youtube-app-updated-with-send-to-tv-feature-now-pairs-with-smart-tvs-and-consoles/)

Google today updated its YouTube for iOS app, making its "Send to TV" feature available for the iPhone and the iPad.

Send to TV lets users pair iDevices with televisions that support Google TV, allowing YouTube content to be streamed directly to the television. The functionality of Send to TV is similar to Apple's AirPlay, without the need for an Apple TV.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/02/youtubeupdate.jpg
With the new feature, YouTube users on the same Wi-Fi network can control video playback on the TV and create playlists using the app. Send to TV also functions with both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360, though use with consoles requires manual pairing with the iOS app.

YouTube has also been updated with YouTube Capture (http://appshopper.com/photography/youtube-capture) integration, stability improvements, and improved streaming over slow Wi-Fi connections.

The universal YouTube app (http://appshopper.com/photography/youtube) can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/youtube/id544007664?mt=8)]

Article Link: YouTube App Updated with 'Send to TV' Feature, Now Pairs with Smart TVs and Consoles (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/28/youtube-app-updated-with-send-to-tv-feature-now-pairs-with-smart-tvs-and-consoles/)

Unggoy Murderer
Feb 28, 2013, 03:31 PM
Would love the ability to reply to comments. That would be the cherry on top of the already delicious app.

nepalisherpa
Feb 28, 2013, 03:31 PM
If only my TV, that I bought in 2006, would fail on me, I could buy a smart TV and use the streaming feature. :D

AngerDanger
Feb 28, 2013, 03:36 PM
Pretty soon, some user is going to discover a gesture that pulls the YouTube UI up to reveal the latest version of Android running in the background.

kako
Feb 28, 2013, 03:48 PM
So they ban the ability to use AirPlay by overriding the normal video player, and then develop this whole stupid crap for Samsung TVs.

Clap clap Google.

DirtySocks85
Feb 28, 2013, 04:03 PM
So, no Wii U? Lame.

Yujenisis
Feb 28, 2013, 04:03 PM
The functionality of Send to TV is similar to Apple's AirPlay, without the need for an Apple TV but with the need to purchase Google TV or select Samsung TV models.

There fixed it for you.

Would love the ability to reply to comments. That would be the cherry on top of the already delicious app.

No good can come from this. Although, it is curious that such a basic feature has not been implemented.

LizChud
Feb 28, 2013, 04:04 PM
Youtube is a lot faster for me. I couldn't watch ANYTHING before. I am very pleased with this update!!

agentkow
Feb 28, 2013, 04:59 PM
So they ban the ability to use AirPlay by overriding the normal video player, and then develop this whole stupid crap for Samsung TVs.

Clap clap Google.

Though the YouTube iOS app first premiered without AirPlay, they have since added it and thankfully, it works very well.

trainwrecka
Feb 28, 2013, 05:48 PM
Though the YouTube iOS app first premiered without AirPlay, they have since added it and thankfully, it works very well.

I don't see the AirPlay icon anywhere in the app. I have a feeling you are talking about "AirPlay Mirroring" rather than the old way YouTube used to AirPlay (with the icon only).

GIZBUG
Feb 28, 2013, 06:07 PM
Jasmine has been my go to app. Guess I will be dropping that app now and going back to youtube app

adam044
Feb 28, 2013, 07:18 PM
I actually stumbled upon this yesterday before the app was updated when I was using the mobile website on my PS3 it asked if I wanted to pair with my iPhone so I did it. Neat feature if you don't have an Apple TV, which I do though

Jimmy James
Feb 28, 2013, 09:06 PM
Works great. However I have been using imediashare and I find loading YouTube on my tv takes longer in order to use the native app.

Caliber26
Feb 28, 2013, 09:55 PM

Clap clap Google.

I don't see the AirPlay icon anywhere in the app. I have a feeling you are talking about "AirPlay Mirroring" rather than the old way YouTube used to AirPlay (with the icon only).

Huh? :confused:

You can still AirPlay right from the YouTube App:

Jeaz
Mar 1, 2013, 02:47 AM

No, it doesn't work very well. It still doesn't allow background play, so it requires you to have to YouTube app being the active app at all times while watching. You can't even lock/turn off the screen. It's a very poor implementation of AirPlay, and I'm 100% sure they do it on purpose to make their own solutions not looks so bad.

tarun101
Mar 1, 2013, 08:47 AM

Clap clap Google.

Not only AirPlay works fine with YouTube app; the app also works with Microsoft Xbox, Sony PS3 along with Samsung TV and their own Google TV device.

They are also building this support on top of a more open standard for sharing video streams between mobile devices and television screens.

I will say that more companies (including Apple) should follow Google's example.

macUser2007
Mar 1, 2013, 06:56 PM
... It's a very poor implementation of AirPlay, and I'm 100% sure they do it on purpose to make their own solutions not looks so bad.

Apple should have opened AirPlay, or made licensing it much more attractive.

Instead, they walled it off and now Google (together with Netflix) has come up with an OPEN solution, which likely will dominate the market in a couple of years.

Is it good for Google? Sure.

But it's Apple's greed that makes it possible.

agentkow
Mar 1, 2013, 11:24 PM

I have an iPhone 4 and the original iPad, so I'm definitely not using AirPlay mirroring to make it work. It's there, and the device can even go to sleep and it keeps playing.

cosmic68
Mar 2, 2013, 04:06 AM
Not only AirPlay works fine with YouTube app; the app also works with Microsoft Xbox, Sony PS3 along with Samsung TV and their own Google TV device.

They are also building this support on top of a more open standard for sharing video streams between mobile devices and television screens.

I will say that more companies (including Apple) should follow Google's example.

How do you control a PS3? I've added the code from the Ps3 into a website, my account is now on the PS3, but no option to control it from iPhone app..?

toke lahti
Mar 2, 2013, 05:19 AM
Instead, they walled it off and now Google (together with Netflix) has come up with an OPEN solution, which likely will dominate the market in a couple of years.
Is this done with DLNA or with some proprietary Samsung stuff?

macUser2007
Mar 2, 2013, 12:57 PM
Is this done with DLNA or with some proprietary Samsung stuff?

Neither.

take a look at the description here:

http://www.dial-multiscreen.org

APlotdevice
Mar 2, 2013, 01:44 PM
How do you control a PS3? I've added the code from the Ps3 into a website, my account is now on the PS3, but no option to control it from iPhone app..?

You must also pair your iPhone with your PS3. To do this go into the "sign in & settings" and select "pair device". Then go into your iPhone YouTube app settings, select "pair YouTube TV", and input the code it gives you on your PS3.

Why the app can't be smart and automatically detect devices registered to your account is beyond me.

jeremiah256
Mar 2, 2013, 02:40 PM
If you still can't stream your purchased videos to one of the game consoles, its still not ready for prime time. Most people already have an XBox or PlayStation. The YouTube app on the PS3 doesn't allow me to play purchased videos. Can't speak for the XBox.

toke lahti
Mar 3, 2013, 02:05 AM
Neither.

take a look at the description here:

http://www.dial-multiscreen.org
So it's proprietary stuff from Netflix?

macUser2007
Mar 3, 2013, 04:22 AM
So it's proprietary stuff from Netflix?

What part of "OPEN" is unclear here?

There are bunch of companies on board, but it is pushed primarily by Netflix and Google. But also by Hulu, Sony, Samsung, etc..

toke lahti
Mar 3, 2013, 08:35 AM
What part of "OPEN" is unclear here?

There are bunch of companies on board, but it is pushed primarily by Netflix and Google. But also by Hulu, Sony, Samsung, etc..
Sorry, my mistake, it seems to be merrily open standard among all the other standards in the family of the-standards-to-rule-'em-all.

To have a networked tv, I bought a tv with DLNA. Now, I should buy a new one with DIAL in it? And next, after I've bought a DIAL tv, there will be a 3rd "standard" and I'll have to buy a 3rd tv to do the same thing than the 1st one.
How nice.

Why both Apple and Google hates DLNA?

APlotdevice
Mar 3, 2013, 10:08 AM
Sorry, my mistake, it seems to be merrily open standard among all the other standards in the family of the-standards-to-role-'em-all.

To have a networked tv, I bought a tv with DLNA. Now, I should buy a new one with DIAL in it? And next, after I've bought a DIAL tv, there will be a 3rd "standard" and I'll have to buy a 3rd tv to do the same thing than the 1st one.
How nice.

Why both Apple and Google hates DLNA?

DLNA sucks. There is too much inconsistency with what video formats are supported on any given device for it to be an effective consumer standard. Also it, along with AirPlay, make very inefficient use of local bandwidth when it comes to streaming media, since this involves streaming to the device in your hands and then have that re-stream to your television. DIAL makes far more sense for streaming media, as the stream goes directly to the device you intend it to play on.

kako
Mar 27, 2013, 01:10 AM

Go to m.youtube.com on an iPad and report back.