Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

herdnerfer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
Saint louis, MO
Hello,
i have a powerful computer (i5-2500k, 8GB Ram, SSD, etc.) and use iTunes to store all my movies & TV shows.

My problem if i playback a video file that is coded either 720p or 1080p in itunes i get audio, but just a frozen picture on the screen, i can skip through the file and new frames will pop up but they will just stay frozen on that frame. SD video (480i) files playback just fune in itunes & the exact same HD files that are in my iTunes library playback fine in VLC & Windows Media Player. Even playback of the HD files on my AppleTV is fine, it is just actually trying to watch them in iTunes that doesn't work.

If anyone has any ideas on what is causing this, i would appreciate it.

I have tried re-installing iTunes and even did a brand new install of windows to see if it would help with no luck.

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
I think It's an issue that a lot of people have for iTunes in Windows (if you do a google search).

I did correct the issue on a recent windows laptop I purchased (which I returned for a different reason.) The laptop had 2 different types of graphic card mode. A high performance and an economical performance (or something like that).

What I did, was right clicked the iTunes icon, and in the right click menu, there was an option to run iTunes with the high performance graphics. The low performance graphics was set by default. I was able to play my HD videos fine after that.

I just checked on my boot camp version of Windows on my iMac, I cant do that option. As a result, my HD movies do not work well. The 1080P videos are inwatchable and the 720P videos stutter a little.

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
I also have a custom built window's computer and mine performs exactly the same. I downloaded VLC and the file will play perfectly on VLC. This has something to do with iTunes on Window's

herdnerfer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
Saint louis, MO
I also have a custom built window's computer and mine performs exactly the same. I downloaded VLC and the file will play perfectly on VLC. This has something to do with iTunes on Window's

Seems like this would be a larger problem then, i couldn't find any other issues like this when googled.

With the prevelance of HD content in the iTunes store, how can this be tolerated so easily?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.