PDA

View Full Version : Dunkin' Donuts Adds Passbook Support to Its iPhone App

MacRumors
Feb 28, 2013, 07:04 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/28/dunkin-donuts-adds-passbook-support-to-its-iphone-app/)

U.S. coffee chain Dunkin' Donuts has added Passbook support (http://appshopper.com/food-drink/dunkin-donuts) to its iPhone app, allowing users to pay for their coffee and donuts with a virtual gift card stored on their phone. Starbucks added similar support (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/03/starbucks-adds-passbook-support-to-its-iphone-app/) to its iPhone app back in October.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/02/dunkindonuts.jpgPAY RIGHT FROM THE APP WITH A VIRTUAL DD(TM) CARD.

Use the app to pay for all your purchases. You can either add a plastic card or purchase a virtual card via the app. Simply tap the DD Card you wish to use and present the barcode to the DD crew member to be scanned, and you're good to go. You can also manage and reload your DD Card right from the app.

APPLE PASSBOOK INTEGRATION

Now you can purchase a virtual card via the Dunkin' App and add it to your Passbook wallet.Dunkin' Donuts is a free download (http://appshopper.com/food-drink/dunkin-donuts) from the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id552020897?mt=8)]

Article Link: Dunkin' Donuts Adds Passbook Support to Its iPhone App (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/28/dunkin-donuts-adds-passbook-support-to-its-iphone-app/)

Prof.
Feb 28, 2013, 07:06 PM
I'm actually excited about this. I'm there all the time buying coffee and shiz.:cool:

DD > Starbucks

Ecofriend
Feb 28, 2013, 07:06 PM
Lol, just saw this in the App Store and downloaded it, to come on here and see the story.

chriscrk
Feb 28, 2013, 07:10 PM
Yay, a more efficient way to get fat!

pancakedrawer
Feb 28, 2013, 07:14 PM
So passbook is such a flop that any new company that uses it is newsworthy?
I don't know why Apple bothers including it on non-US phones.

komodrone
Feb 28, 2013, 07:14 PM
"Dunkin' Donuts Adds Passbook Support to Its iPhone App"
rather:
"Dunkin' Donuts Adds Pounds To Its Customers"

Freshmixture
Feb 28, 2013, 07:18 PM
Weird, I got this update on the 13th

Trentz
Feb 28, 2013, 07:20 PM
$50 for a cup of coffee? Damn

ConCat
Feb 28, 2013, 07:23 PM
I'm actually excited about this. I'm there all the time buying coffee and shiz.:cool:

DD > Starbucks

Yes, certainly. One kind of coffee is far better than just about every kind of coffee in existence (starbucks). Have you tried Blonde Roast?

Shrink
Feb 28, 2013, 08:00 PM

DD > Starbucks

Pardon, but both their coffees are crap. But now it's easier to get Dunkin Donut's crappy coffee.

Oh, joy!!:rolleyes:

John.B
Feb 28, 2013, 08:14 PM
DD < Starbucks

Fixed.

Shrink
Feb 28, 2013, 08:44 PM

DD > Starbucks

Fixed.

DD = Starbucks

Fixed...:D

sexiewasd
Feb 28, 2013, 08:46 PM
New England coffee is better than them all, but I don't see my self passing my iPod through a drive through window anytime soon.

Btw DD > Starbucks.

sazivad
Feb 28, 2013, 09:10 PM
DD > Starbucks
DD < Starbucks
DD = Starbucks
Local small business > {DD, Starbucks}

jonnysods
Feb 28, 2013, 10:33 PM
Wow, great story. Thanks for posting this.

Giuly
Feb 28, 2013, 10:40 PM
On completely unrelated news, the NSA and the state police of every state have just approved iPhones and started issuing them to all policemen.

starbird
Feb 28, 2013, 10:42 PM
Just logged in to my account after downloading the app and realized I have a card active on my account with $2.65!!! The digital equivalent of finding money in your spring/winter coat left over from the prior season! Guess it was worth the (virtual) trip!

----------

On completely unrelated news, the NSA and the state police of every state have just approved iPhones are started issuing them to all policemen.

Ha! To be fair, I heard this is primarily in the northeast. ;)

blueroom
Feb 28, 2013, 10:50 PM

DD > Starbucks

Do they offer free refills or food items every 12 purchases when you use their app?

Starbucks > DD

PS no DD here in Toronto, just Tim Hortons.

Fant
Feb 28, 2013, 11:12 PM
How is it better handing a DD clerk my $400 phone and get him to try and scan it rather that a free plastic card that I can swipe or tap myself?

Radio
Mar 1, 2013, 12:02 AM
Local small business > {DD, Starbucks}

Free trade quality coffee shops > local small business

marc11
Mar 1, 2013, 12:20 AM

Coffee doesn't make you fat. In fact NOTHING makes you fat, eating and drinking over our needed caloric intake makes you fat.

To further the point, black coffee, which basically has zero calories has proven to actually burn calories.

And using this app to pay for items you would have purchased anyway doesn't make you fat.

BobVB
Mar 1, 2013, 05:20 AM
If only I had even seen a Dunkin' Donuts in the last 5 years.

harrisondavies
Mar 1, 2013, 06:30 AM
Not available in the UK.

I wish for once Macrumors would advise us of that before we click the links....Grrr.

spazzcat
Mar 1, 2013, 06:59 AM

DD > Starbucks

You drink espresso then SB > DD :D

----------

They are everywhere...

auero
Mar 1, 2013, 07:00 AM
How is it better handing a DD clerk my $400 phone and get him to try and scan it rather that a free plastic card that I can swipe or tap myself?

I've never handed over my phone while at Starbucks. I can't imagine it would be any different at dd.

They just tell me to scan my barcode.

adamryan1983
Mar 1, 2013, 07:05 AM

Probably because you are more likely to have your phone on you at all times instead of multiple gift cards for multiple places.

thedeejay
Mar 1, 2013, 07:56 AM
I've never handed over my phone while at Starbucks. I can't imagine it would be any different at dd.

They just tell me to scan my barcode.

I wish my phone was $400 aka my comment is as useless as this article and the Passbook App.

C DM
Mar 1, 2013, 08:40 AM
You drink espresso then SB > DD :D

----------

They are everywhere...
Everywhere...in certain areas (and countries).

Yvan256
Mar 1, 2013, 09:36 AM
Tim Hortons > Dunkin' Donuts. :p

phillipduran
Mar 1, 2013, 09:50 AM
Yes, certainly. One kind of coffee is far better than just about every kind of coffee in existence (starbucks). Have you tried Blonde Roast?

Starbucks is horrible coffee. Go to a local coffee shop staffed by some arrogant hipster baristas and you'll find good coffee. :D

Prof.
Mar 1, 2013, 09:53 AM
Oh wow, people aren't entitled to their own opinions? :rolleyes:

madsci954
Mar 1, 2013, 10:03 AM
Oh wow, people aren't entitled to their own opinions? :rolleyes:

Hi, Welcome to the Internet.

bijansha
Mar 1, 2013, 10:21 AM
There is company that actually focuses on offering reloadable store cards for other coffee shops and restaurants so they basically offer the customer service that Duncan Donuts and Starbucks currently offer.

They don't require an app and only run on the virtual wallets like iPhone Passbook. They are named Virtual Next and operate in North America.

chriscrk
Mar 1, 2013, 02:17 PM
Coffee doesn't make you fat. In fact NOTHING makes you fat, eating and drinking over our needed caloric intake makes you fat.

To further the point, black coffee, which basically has zero calories has proven to actually burn calories.

And using this app to pay for items you would have purchased anyway doesn't make you fat.

omg lmao.

JAT
Mar 1, 2013, 03:45 PM
On completely unrelated news, the NSA and the state police of every state have just approved iPhones and started issuing them to all policemen.

Now, if you could track them, you'd know exactly where not to speed.

quietstormSD
Mar 1, 2013, 04:09 PM
I can't wait until they come back to California

zioxide
Mar 1, 2013, 05:11 PM

Move to New England.

No exaggeration, there are at least 15 of them within a 2-mile radius from my house. Actually, that's probably a conservative estimate. I can't even keep track of them all.

ChristIsLORD
Mar 1, 2013, 05:32 PM
I live in Boston (which runs on Dunkin) and there are 11 Dunkin Donuts within a 5 minute walk. Which is great because before my morning coffee I can just walk out my door in a daze and stumble into one randomly.

As soon as Passbook was announced, the first thing I thought was "Please let the DD app have support." After using passource for my card I am ecstatic that there's official support now. Bravo!

Also worth noting is that the DD app regularly adds app specific coupons with QR codes for items like free donuts and 99c bagel+schmear.

C DM
Mar 1, 2013, 05:45 PM
Move to New England.

No exaggeration, there are at least 15 of them within a 2-mile radius from my house. Actually, that's probably a conservative estimate. I can't even keep track of them all.It's the same with Starbucks in California...but no DD anywhere.

kingtj
Mar 2, 2013, 03:53 PM
They're all over in the Washington DC area.

IMO, they're awful though. Seems like they do a brisk business up here, but I never understood it. Granted, I'm really not a fan of plain coffee. I prefer the coffee drinks like a mocha.

But even if DD's coffee itself is great (for those who like regular coffee)? Their donuts are horrible! What happened with that? I remember when I was growing up in the midwest, Dunkin had the best donuts. Our family used to stop by and get a dozen sometimes on a Sunday morning after church. Then they all disappeared (heard the chain went bankrupt). And all of a sudden there was this resurgence -- but the donuts they serve now are NOT what I remember at all!

And BTW, a mocha from DD is terrible too. Tastes like they mixed chocolate icing into the drink or something....

iapplelove
Mar 2, 2013, 06:35 PM

Yeah cause anyone who drinks coffee is fat.

thehustleman
Mar 2, 2013, 07:03 PM
Dunkin donuts should merge with Krispy Kreme and offer better coffee (dunkin) with better donuts (Krispy Kreme)

C DM
Mar 2, 2013, 11:06 PM
dunkin donuts should merge with krispy kreme and offer better coffee (dunkin) with better donuts (krispy kreme)+1

robdam1001
Mar 3, 2013, 04:41 PM
FYI: the DD App has been around for 6 months or more. I use it daily. DD employees are forbidden from touching the mobile devices. They scan the app while you, the mobile device owner, points said device towards them. Works great.